PDA

View Full Version : Sig P6 trigger pull

Grand58742
07-11-13, 13:01
I bought a Sig P6 surplus pistol back last winter, kind of an impulse buy, but mainly for tromping around the property as my just in case pistol. Nice handgun, accurate and sturdy, but absolute worst double action trigger I've ever encountered. Single action pull is okay, but being there is no manual safety, I'd prefer not to carry it that way.

I've seen folks around the net that have done the SRT install and it's supposed to help, but has anyone here done that and how much double action pull weight is actually taken off? Is it closer to the standard Sig double action pull?

Not critical to the turning of the planet as I can't expect a whole lot out of a $375 pistol and don't necessarily want to drop a whole lot of money into one. But a reduced double action pull is desirable

SmokinSigs357
07-11-13, 15:09
Here is a great place to look:

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums?a=search&reqWords=p6+trigger+pull

I left mine alone. It is a pretty heavy pull, but I can get past it because the gun is so dead nuts accurate. Anyway, most folks either get the Wolff spring kits or they send 'em to SIG or their local gunsmith for a trigger job.

My 225 definitely feels lighter, probably has the lighter spring.

Good luck! Enjoy your new plinker!

davidjinks
07-11-13, 19:59
You could send it to Sig for a complete inspection/repair/replacement/upgrade of pieces/parts.

Request to have the SRT put in and have them give is a once over. When I was a Sig guy I used that service several times. IIRC the service cost about 119 bucks. Not including new trigger setups.

IMO it was well worth the money.

I bought a Sig P6 surplus pistol back last winter, kind of an impulse buy, but mainly for tromping around the property as my just in case pistol. Nice handgun, accurate and sturdy, but absolute worst double action trigger I've ever encountered. Single action pull is okay, but being there is no manual safety, I'd prefer not to carry it that way.

I've seen folks around the net that have done the SRT install and it's supposed to help, but has anyone here done that and how much double action pull weight is actually taken off? Is it closer to the standard Sig double action pull?

Not critical to the turning of the planet as I can't expect a whole lot out of a $375 pistol and don't necessarily want to drop a whole lot of money into one. But a reduced double action pull is desirable

hksig45
07-11-13, 21:26
Change out the mainspring to a 18-19lb Wolff spring.

There will be a SIGnificant improvement in the DA for <$20.

davidjinks
07-11-13, 21:30
No more jokes for you!

Change out the mainspring to a 18-19lb Wolff spring.

There will be a SIGnificant improvement in the DA for <$20.

hksig45
07-11-13, 21:34
No more jokes for you!

Changing the mainspring isn't a joke, the P6 has a 24+ lb mainspring and is pretty simple to change...lots of YouTube videos.

Or are you referring to SIGnificant?

davidjinks
07-11-13, 21:37
Right over your head...

Soup nazi skit.

Yes, the "SIGnificant" was what I was referring too.

Changing the mainspring isn't a joke, the P6 has a 24+ lb mainspring and is pretty simple to change...lots of YouTube videos.

Or are you referring to SIGnificant?

beschatten
07-12-13, 00:37
I had a SRT and action job done on my previous P226. DA was about 8.5~ish, SA was really light and clean, maybe 3.5ish. Never actually measured them but it was a world's difference.

Grand58742
07-12-13, 09:51
I had a SRT and action job done on my previous P226. DA was about 8.5~ish, SA was really light and clean, maybe 3.5ish. Never actually measured them but it was a world's difference.

Yeah, have the SRT on my 229, but wasn't sure how much it would change a 225.

Thanks for the replies all. I might check into the Wolff spring option.

beschatten
07-13-13, 01:52
Yeah, have the SRT on my 229, but wasn't sure how much it would change a 225.

Thanks for the replies all. I might check into the Wolff spring option.

If you're willing to cough up a few more dollars you could always contact Bruce Grey.

signal4l
07-13-13, 07:25
The SRT kit does not reduce either the sa or da trigger pulls. It just improves trigger reset. The reduced power hammer spring is the way to go. I would also put some grease on the trigger bar.

SigSlave
07-13-13, 07:49
The SRT kit does not reduce either the sa or da trigger pulls. It just improves trigger reset. The reduced power hammer spring is the way to go. I would also put some grease on the trigger bar.

Agreed. The 18 or 19 pound mainspring IS the way to go but polishing the trigger bar contact points will smooth the trigger pull 100 times more than any grease can.

signal4l
07-13-13, 09:00
Agreed. The 18 or 19 pound mainspring IS the way to go but polishing the trigger bar contact points will smooth the trigger pull 100 times more than any grease can.

I agree. However polishing trigger bar contact points requires a bit more skill. A little grease never hurt anything. Over enthusiastic use of the dremel can cause all sorts of mischief.

SigSlave
07-13-13, 16:57
That's why you use 600 grit paper on a sanding stick. Sand the black off and you are all set.

Doing sig trigger jobs takes 5 minutes and can be done with a spring loaded sanding stick with a sanding band that can be purchased at any wood working store. Polish areas on the trigger bar that have wear marks and throw in a mainspring between 18-20 pounds and you are golden. No Dremel required.