PDA

View Full Version : Who carries extra mags while CCW?

Devildawg2531
07-11-13, 17:43
Curious who carries extra mags for their CCW weapon? I always CCW - but probably 90% of the time just my Glock 27 no extra mags. If I go somewhere thats a bit possibly more likely of something bad I carry 2 extra mags and usually the full size G22. Bad rationale I know but feel like 10 + 1 of 40 is sufficient. I do feel just a bit better when carrying the full size with 2 extra mags, knife and Surefire but the added bulk...

Curious what you do?

VIP3R 237
07-11-13, 17:50
I usually carry one extra on my person. In my truck I carry a couple extras in a bug out bag.

Vandal
07-11-13, 17:58
With my G19 or my Sig P229 I carry at one back up mag. When I have my 1911(rarely carried) I bring two.

Scrubber3
07-11-13, 18:01
I carry one extra mag on me and several more in my go bag. Usually another pistol as well.

10+1 in a G27 mag? I thought they were 9 rounders....

LightningFast
07-11-13, 18:07
Always one extra.

It's about malfunctions, not ammo, for me.

Kchen986
07-11-13, 18:10
Yep. Always one spare mag, minimum.

masakari
07-11-13, 18:11
I always carry an extra magazine. It is usually weak side, OWB in a Comp-Tac open top mag pouch. I see it extremely important to have a reload, as an extra magazine and more ammunition is always a plus.

donlapalma
07-11-13, 18:13
I always carry an extra mag. If shit goes south and I find myself needing to use my weapon I want to be able to properly address a stoppage in the event that it occurs. For me, this means that I have given myself the option of dumping the problem mag altogether and inserting a fresh new mag to get back in the fight.

RHINOWSO
07-11-13, 18:19
I do. 1 usually, but two with the LCP.

tpdavis89
07-11-13, 18:35
I always carry an extra mag. If shit goes south and I find myself needing to use my weapon I want to be able to properly address a stoppage in the event that it occurs. For me, this means that I have given myself the option of dumping the problem mag altogether and inserting a fresh new mag to get back in the fight.

This.

I'm much more worried about a magazine related failure, or a stoppage that means i need to dump the mag. Having additional rounds is never a bad thing, but I'd be lying if I said it was the main reason I ALWAYS carry a spare mag.

Army Chief
07-11-13, 18:38
Still carry a 1911 for the most part, and a spare mag is just a standard part of the load out.

AC

Tomac
07-11-13, 19:12
Two spare mags w/my Kahr CM9, 1-2 w/my SIG P250c.
Tomac

Dobie
07-11-13, 19:30
Always carry a spare G17 mag with my G19. No one
ever complained they had too much ammo in a gun fight.

gun71530
07-11-13, 19:37
I always carry one G17 mag to go with my G19.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Trajan
07-11-13, 19:38
I carry an extra mag in an archangel mag pouch (AIWB). Never hurts to have it, and naturally AIWB the holster makes room for it. Currently looking at going for two.

That said, I was perfectly comfortable just carrying a G17/19 without an extra mag.

danpass
07-11-13, 19:40
For a long time it's been a 642 with one additional strip.

But for these next few days its that AND a G19 with extra mags in a bug out bag lol.

<--- Miami, FL

aguila327
07-11-13, 19:46
Always carry a Kimber CDP Ultra and an extra mag, a small flashlight and sometimes a set of cuffs.

I found the flashlight has been my savior quite a few times.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

davidjinks
07-11-13, 19:49
Always a spare mag. Depending where I'm at, I'll have 2.

1911-A1
07-11-13, 19:51
I carry one spare more for malfunction insurance than a "break contact" mag.

cpoth
07-11-13, 19:57
I picked up the Incog holster from G-code for my G19 which allows me to carry an extra magazine on the holster itself. I think it is really well made, the mag caddy isn't the most comfortable for me but is very functional. It is really nice if I will be walking around while wearing it because the discomfort really presents itself when seated and the magazine pokes into my abdomen. I carry another G19 mag for that reason, the G17 would probably be even more uncomfortable.

NeoNeanderthal
07-11-13, 19:59
I never carry an extra mag. My g19 holds 16 rounds and i feel that is sufficient. (just like a 1911 with an extra mag). People always say its incase of a malfunction. But in my thousands of rounds through my glocks i've never had a double feed. Not to say it can't happen. That being said, I don't feel under gunned at all. Lots of guys carry a revolver with 1-2 speed loaders and no one thinks they don't have enough ammo. I do have extra mags in my car, or next to my bed. But if I'm away from home or my car, it looks like I'm stuck with 16 rounds of 9mm.

CaptainN8
07-11-13, 20:04
Always carry a spare G17 mag with my G19. No one
ever complained they had too much ammo in a gun fight.

This is what I do. For malfunctions mostly but the extra ammo is nice.

lunchbox
07-11-13, 20:14
I have to admit, I only carry G19 (no ex mag) and knife (model1). I'm usually have a child in each arm, baby bags, etc. so don't have room or weight to spare(two kids get heavy after while ya kno). I'm pretty big boy and work out everyday, life time martial arts/MMA/Eskrima( plus 16 rds says a lot). I'm not sayin I'm mr badass, because I'm not (very pacifistic). I'm just sayn that I specifically work out and practice so that I'm not defenceless with out gun. Making sure that I'm the weapon, not what's in my pants(wink wink nudge nudge say no more;)). When body can't go a couple rounds, I'll carry extra rounds....

rathos
07-11-13, 20:16
Always carry at least one, most of the time two and a back up gun.

T2C
07-11-13, 20:19
Always one extra.

This sums it up.

Devildawg2531
07-11-13, 20:48
I carry one extra mag on me and several more in my go bag. Usually another pistol as well.

10+1 in a G27 mag? I thought they were 9 rounders....

I highly recommend the Glock +1 mag's for both G26 and G27. Gives your pinky support - with the G27 I find this very advantageous for time and accuracy.

Devildawg2531
07-11-13, 20:51
For a long time it's been a 642 with one additional strip.

But for these next few days its that AND a G19 with extra mags in a bug out bag lol.

<--- Miami, FL

Following you on the Zimmerman trial. I expect a not guility verdict followed by some civil unrest. The next week for me will be CCW with the 2 extra mags

ST911
07-11-13, 21:06
At least one reload for the primary, always. No exceptions. There is a dedicated reload for any secondary/BUG as well. This is in addition to any other support gear (lights, blades, BOB).

Spectre'sWrath
07-11-13, 21:10
I always carry a spare mag for the same reason many have already stated, malfunctions. Sure, it is great to have spares, but in the event a mag decides that it is time to crap out, I can dump it and try a new one.

Extra ammo is a bonus, but a secondary reason to carry a spare as well. :smile:

kest_01
07-11-13, 21:12
I carry at least one extra G17 mag for my G19, I'd say that works for me 75% of the time, if I'm carrying extra stuff, say diaper bag for the kid, than I'll throw another 2 mags in there, you know just to be safe.
No kids( or diaper bag) rough part of town, 2 G17 mags support side kydex mag holster, cause you never know.

wahoo95
07-11-13, 21:54
I always carry a spare mag

SPDGG
07-11-13, 22:08
imho/fwiw:

Any area can become a bad area, just takes one whacked out person to make it a very bad day.

I never leave home without a spare mag(s) or speed strips/loader.

Agree, Hate the weight/bulk = pretty sure we all do. . . but "better to have & not need, then need & not have"

RogerinTPA
07-11-13, 22:55
I carry a full size M&P9 mag as a spare for my 9c daily carry, with 2 more 12 rounders in the car.

HES
07-11-13, 22:56
I normally carry 2 spare mags at all times

Jaykayyy
07-11-13, 23:04
Always at least one spare mag on me, most of the time 2. Plus my light and edc blade.

SeriousStudent
07-11-13, 23:14
If I am carrying a magazine-fed pistol, I'm carrying a spare mag. Plus, I keep extra mags stashed in the vehicle, by the front door at home, locked in a safe at work, etc.

Revolver carry rates an extra speedloader and a speed strip.

HighDesert
07-11-13, 23:43
Always carry a G17 mag regardless of if I'm carrying my G17 or G26.

I find that having that mag on the opposite side of my belt really helps to balance the belt and makes carrying feel more comfortable.

MoCop
07-11-13, 23:56
I always carry one extra mag with me.

blade_68
07-12-13, 00:36
Yes, at least one. S### happens even Glock mags fail. My issued duty pistol 92fs and junk mags I bought my own mags for it. Off duty carry G19 or Ruger LC9 with at least spare mag.

Airhasz
07-12-13, 01:54
G19 plus extra mag in Smart Carry.

jck397
07-12-13, 01:58
I'm another G19 w/a G17 mag spare, lately in a Persec (formerly PSS Holsters) canted single mag pouch at around 7:00, which works really well. Unless my need for absolute conceaent overrides, I don't know why you wouldn't--I've yet to hear of anyone complaining they brought too much ammo to a gunfight, it's good for malfunctions, and when I used to carry a SIG 229 in Kramer leather I had my primary mag unseat on a few occasions--would hate to have a BANG-click and have to crawl around trying to find my only mag as rounds were coming in.

BadgerMan
07-12-13, 02:57
I too am a member of the G19+G17 spare mag club. I usually just carry one spare but sometimes I'll carry two In addition to the extra ammo and insurance in case of a malf, I find it also balances the load a bit better than just having a pistol on one hip and nothing else.

Plumber237
07-12-13, 03:01
Sometimes an extra mag with my glock 19, always two strips with my LCR.

Magic_Salad0892
07-12-13, 05:12
One extra mag for a G19. Two for a 1911.

Abraxas
07-12-13, 05:33
Curious who carries extra mags for their CCW weapon? I always CCW - but probably 90% of the time just my Glock 27 no extra mags. If I go somewhere thats a bit possibly more likely of something bad I carry 2 extra mags and usually the full size G22. Bad rationale I know but feel like 10 + 1 of 40 is sufficient. I do feel just a bit better when carrying the full size with 2 extra mags, knife and Surefire but the added bulk...

Curious what you do?

Always one, sometimes two.

JasonA
07-12-13, 05:50
I always carry a G17 mag as a spare (I CC a G26). It only weighs ~11oz and will easily fit in the front pocket of my cargo shorts/pants.

2 is 1, 1 is none.

Urban_Redneck
07-12-13, 06:22
One extra mag for a Caracal. Two for a 1911. Plus I usually have spares in my truck and or briefcase.

Vendetta
07-12-13, 06:52
I always carry at least one G17 with an extension, and two if I'm working in a covert capacity.

swamper
07-12-13, 07:05
Two spare magazines with the P30.

Psalms144.1
07-12-13, 07:14
ALWAYS one spare for the primary - as many have stated, for reliability insurance more than for ammunition. At work, always a spare for my BUG as well. I have two more spares for the primary (along with extra cuffs) in the door panel of my work car.

Off duty, it's the primary +1 and the BUG; usually no spare for the BUG.

For those who are "certain" they don't need a spare for reliability reasons, consider the TINY fraction of a percent likelihood that you'll ever use your pistol for self defense. If you're already that far into the hurt locker, do you REALLY want to bet your life that your primary mag spring hasn't gotten weak or broken since the last time you maintained your mag; or that the feed lips didn't get mashed the last time it hit the concrete on the range; or...

A spare mag takes up HALF the space of typical smart phones; hell you can slip it in your off-side front pocket.

To me, it's free insurance.

Regards,

Kevin

DTakas
07-12-13, 07:16
- - - - -

streck
07-12-13, 07:35
Always one extra.

I do the same for the same reason.

SteveL
07-12-13, 07:38
Always one extra.

It's the same for me.

JonInWA
07-12-13, 07:58
I always have at least one spare magazine/speedloader/speed strip. The spare is in case of 1) any malfunctions, 2) in case of any use, that I can reload/replace a partially expended magazine with a full one. When carrying a Glock (or a double-column magazine gun), it's normally one spare magazine; a 1911/single stacked magazine gun, 2 spare magazines; a revolver, at least a speed strip or two, or a speed strip and a speedloader.

I have multiple magazine pouches; my favorites are both vertical and horizontal ones from The Wilderness, and/or Magna pouches from Tactical Tailor.

Best, Jon

Alex F
07-12-13, 08:28
I carry a spare G17 magazine and a Surefire E1L Outdoorsman flashlight in a custom kydex OWB carrier weakside.

JohnH189
07-12-13, 08:48
I used to never carry a spare magazine, but do now. Spare G19 magazine takes up no room, but it is comforting.

tnt1106
07-12-13, 10:10
I too am a member of the G19+G17 spare mag club. I usually just carry one spare but sometimes I'll carry two In addition to the extra ammo and insurance in case of a malf, I find it also balances the load a bit better than just having a pistol on one hip and nothing else.

I always carry a G17 mag as a spare (I CC a G26). It only weighs ~11oz and will easily fit in the front pocket of my cargo shorts/pants.

2 is 1, 1 is none.

In this same category. I carry a G19 or 26, then 2 spare 17 mags. I also keep multiple spare mags in cars, work areas, go to bags, etc. Same for blow out kits (not on person but in vehicles or at each location I am at.)

dash1
07-12-13, 10:25
I usually carry two spare magazines. There are times when I carry just the pistol without a reload, mainly when I'm out exercising.

THCDDM4
07-12-13, 11:06
In the summer I always carry at least (1) extra magazine (IF carrying my fullsize) on my person- (2) if clothing will allow, or if carrying a compact.

In the winter I carry (2+) on my person.

I always have a bag on or with me that has (4) extra pistol magazines and more often than not- (2) extra rifle magazines.

A back-up magazine, at least (1)- is essential EDC in my eyes.

Big A
07-12-13, 12:51

Curious what you do?

I always carry an extra reload no matter what.

G19 gets a spare G17 mag w/+2 extention. This is my main carry set up. If I can't handle any situation I encounter with 35 rounds of 9mm then I should have brought a rifle and an armored division with me.

G26 gets a spare G26 mag w/+2 Pearce grip extention.

340 M&P gets a atleast 1 speedloader and sometimes 2 speed strips.

tpevan
07-12-13, 13:03
I usually carry a spare G19 magazine when carrying my G26. If I'm taking a roadtrip, you can bet I've got two spare 10rd G26 mags in the car, the G19 mag on my person, and obviously the 10rd mag in the gun itself.

Cobrasks
07-12-13, 13:55
I carry one spare mag minimum .

I usually try for 2 mags for whatever I'm carrying .

Shao
07-12-13, 14:37
I never carry a spare mag but I do keep a backup gun for the ol' New York reload. Also: at least two knives. Redundancy is sweet. You can't fix a broken firing pin, broken extractor, or squib in a gunfight, but you can always draw your trusty J-frame.

EDIT: Plus, some of these pocket pistols are nearing service pistol magazine size anyway, so you're none the worse for wear for carry.

theblackknight
07-12-13, 14:45
My carry gun is reliable and magazines are servicable.

I don't carry a spare mag because I carry a full size handgun.

NCPatrolAR
07-12-13, 15:27
If I have a gun on me, I have a spare mag for it

Watrdawg
07-12-13, 15:30
Always carry an extra G19 mag on me and 2 in my vehicle.

Phillygunguy
07-12-13, 15:44
Following you on the Zimmerman trial. I expect a not guility verdict followed by some civil unrest. The next week for me will be CCW with the 2 extra mags

Im with you on that, I normally carry a G17 with 2 sometimes 3 spare mags, but if a riot breaks out, Ill add a couple 33 round mags to keep in my car

JTQ911
07-12-13, 16:10
Always have at least one reload.

Murphy always gets me.

If I'm having that bad of a day that I need it, with my luck I'll need the reload.

When it rains, it pours.

In all seriousness, I never understood those who don't carry a backup. You've never had a failure at the range? You take all the time and effort to carry, but a small extra magazine on the belt or even in the pocket is too much?

weggy
07-12-13, 17:35

Curious what you do?
I carry a G21 and a spare mag, but if the first 13 don't work I'll be long gone before I can load the spare. :D

charliefox
07-12-13, 18:12
A minimum of one, sometimes two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colt191145lover
07-12-13, 18:20
Always carry 2 spare mags for my usual carry gun a S&W M&PFS 9mm, and my NPE carry is a Walther pps 9mm and one spare mag in a smart carry along with with a Glock 26 on my ankle with a spare 19 mag in a pocket kydex pouch.

Moose-Knuckle
07-12-13, 18:36
I CCW a G19 topped off, a G17 standard capacity mag, white light, and folding knife.

I have keep another two G17 mags in my day bag.

doro19
07-12-13, 19:20
Always 2 spare mags for friends and family.

Scorpion
07-12-13, 19:38
Two spare mags, sometimes a backup.

Two speed strips for the backup as well.

okie john
07-12-13, 20:13

This, unfortunately, for the next few days.

Normally it's a G17 plus a spare mag.

Okie John

theblackknight
07-12-13, 22:07
Always have at least one reload.

Murphy always gets me.

If I'm having that bad of a day that I need it, with my luck I'll need the reload.

When it rains, it pours.

In all seriousness, I never understood those who don't carry a backup. You've never had a failure at the range? You take all the time and effort to carry, but a small extra magazine on the belt or even in the pocket is too much?

Bite!

I carry a full size M&P. I've yet to have a magazine related problem with my carry gun,or any of my handguns. I believe my gun, once, when driven by my non-shooter friend, had a stove pipe. My handfull stoppages have all been faulty ammo in the 10k+ thru the gun and all solved with tap rack.

It's not really about "extra effort", like I'm lazy or something for not having a reload,because my extra reload wouldnt be small. It's simply a rational look at probability for me. I think a lot of us"gun guys" put too much stock into the firearm as a save all, when really it has the least applicability.

I also don't subscribe the clique, paranoia tinged mindset of tired bumper stickers that people autospit out. "2 is 1,.. ....""Murphy is my stalker""better to have it and not need it. . . . ." "prepare for the worst,prepare. . . . .".

Flashlight,blades and extra mags for a single stack gun are not bad choices ofcourse, but let all that "EDC talk"grow on you, and soon your shoving all this stuff down your ass and posting for other men to look at online.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad346/TexasPistols/txrflmncarrygearaugust20122.png

rickmy
07-12-13, 22:35

This. I will not carry a pistol that is not reliable 99.9 percent of the time. I'm completely aware of Murphy but I do not feel the need to carry a spare magazine while off-duty.

dash1
07-12-13, 22:53
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad346/TexasPistols/txrflmncarrygearaugust20122.png

This guy is traveling light. Where are his glasses, hat and gloves. And he doesn't have a lucky charm to prevent tiger attacks.

Five_Point_Five_Six
07-12-13, 22:58
One spare 16 round mag always. Sometimes two.

Gutshot John
07-12-13, 23:00
Who carries an extra mag while CCW?

Who doesn't?

Seriously?

Moose-Knuckle
07-13-13, 00:34
This guy is traveling light. Where are his glasses, hat and gloves. And he doesn't have a lucky charm to prevent tiger attacks.

What no condoms . . . :confused:

MistWolf
07-13-13, 01:01
I try to always carry an extra mag, a pocket knife, pen, flashlight, phone, wallet, keys and wear shoes or boots I can run in

Ryno12
07-13-13, 01:22
Never. Can't fit extra G20 mags in my skinny jeans. I keep an extra gun w/ mags in my truck though.

Sent via Tapatalk

SPDGG
07-13-13, 02:19
fwiw:

I know many here have watched these video clips, some many times over, some never, . . . . but once, twice more can only help/remind.
Please watch both, especially the second video/link of the interviews:

FBI 1986 Miami Shootout Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlSCE88UhyA

FBI 1986 Miami Shootout Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAUDnzDhQpc

These interviews are great reminders to us all, then, now, and for the future. Evil is still Evil, that hasn't changed in thousands of years. Evil in 1986 is no different from today . . . . What is different is that we have knowledge, been educated-been warned, have quality training accessible to us, the internet to share tactics-lessons-training-mindset, proper mindset, quality training, & continued training is key. . . .

Second video addresses so many things discussed in this thread:
* Additional Ammunition in the vehicle
* Ammunition on your person
* Weapon Capacity

A "Few" Key Points that I can think of to add to this thread from the interviews:
* Mindset
* Humans with our will/drive, applies to "good & evil minded" alike, can take a crap load of abuse before the lights go out.

CaptainN8
07-13-13, 04:52
Never. Can't fit extra G20 mags in my skinny jeans. I keep an extra gun w/ mags in my truck though.

Sent via Tapatalk

Lol nice. Skinny jeans

Vendetta
07-13-13, 07:28

Naive. Weapons malfunction. Things happen out of our control. Full size weapon or not, magazine malfunctions can still happen, even with a reliable weapon. We had a shooting last week where the good guy got 2 rounds off before taking a round into his hand and exploding the mag out of the weapon. The weapon would have still fired had he had another mag to replace his "serviceable" magazine with. Luckily his 2 rounds dropped the guy, but it would have been a bad day had they not. Magazines aren't serviceable in a gun fight.

Might as well say you don't have to carry a weapon because you've never used it.

sapper36
07-13-13, 07:44
9 in the gun and 10 in the spare. Both my 1911's and M&P's make this easy, but that's the 45 for you:D

Hogsgunwild
07-13-13, 07:49
I am surprised at how many here only carry one mag, especially if not a hi-cap. Or no extras. Perhaps I have read of and watched too many videos of shootings that went to slide-lock and often the gunfight was not even over. Often with hi-caps. Granted, they are often of LEOs but anyone could end up in an encounter with the same assholes that they were up against.

I will also buck the trend and say that my mag malfunction issue is already taken care of by carrying the first extra mag so, for me, it is all about the ammo as I strive to carry two hi-caps whenever I can. What would be worse than needing your gun and finding it empty prior to the threat(s) being stopped? What if you were the one unlucky person that could have stopped the asshole(s) with the rifle(s) heading into your kids school but realized that you did not have enough ammo to engage in a situation like that? Would how much ammo you were carrying that day change your mind prior to engaging in certain types of scenarios? It would for me.

My point is, if you already went through all of the trouble of setting up a reliable handgun, concealment rig, training and practice to be prepared for a worst case scenario, why say; "I am only likely to encounter say, one bad guy with a bat or a gun and I am prepared for him". It is so easy to stick an extra mag or two on your person and be
more likely to make it through a really hairy encounter. Unlikely stuff alway happens to someone, somewhere.

When I carry my Shield, I carry two extra eight round mags. I am also aware that I am not capable of dealing with certain scenarios as well as if I had my P99C and one or two hi-caps on me. And my PPQ and two hi-caps is even more capable.

Just my two cents as I do realize that typically, a handgun and an extra magazine is enough to get one out of a majority of the bad situations that you are likely to encounter. In aviation the saying goes; "the only time that you have too much fuel is when you are on fire". That saying could work for ammo as well.

ST911
07-13-13, 08:42
I am surprised at how many here only carry one mag, especially if not a hi-cap. Or no extras. Perhaps I have read of and watched too many videos of shootings that went to slide-lock and often the gunfight was not even over. Often with hi-caps. Granted, they are often of LEOs but anyone could end up in an encounter with the same assholes that they were up against..

I prefer to just lead by example rather than try to persuade the interwebs. There are those who make an informed deision, based on a calculated cost:benefit applicable to their needs. There are others making their decisions otherwise. Either way, I'm not responsible for them, only myself.

Timbonez
07-13-13, 09:01
I carry a USP9 with 15+1 and no spare mag, but I also carry an LCR in .38 Special with a speed strip as a backup.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4 Beta

KUSA
07-13-13, 09:16
I used to not carry and extra mag because I didn't imagine that I would need one in a ccw situation. Since then I have reconsidered my thought process and determined that it is stupid not to take an extra mag. You really never know what is going to happen so take the most you can within reason.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

TXBK
07-13-13, 10:29
Is the weight of 1, 2, or even 3 spare mags that cumbersome? I think not.

For me, conceal carry is not only for my safety, but more importantly, for the safety of my loved ones. I don't want to know the feeling of failing my loved ones, because I didn't bring enough ammo to the fight. I would carry a rifle if I could conceal it.

Thank you for those videos, SPDGG...quite enlightening and appropriate for the topic at hand.

RagweedZulu
07-13-13, 10:41
I'm another guy who will never understand a man who is prepared enough to carry a pistol through life, but finds it unnecessary to carry a reload. I just don't get it. For all the reasons stated above; malfunctions, extra ammo etc. Not to mention after a gunfight who wants to sit around with 3 or 4 rounds in their pistol hoping there's nothing else to do?!?!

Look up the Trolley Square Mall shooting in Salt Lake City. There's an off duty officer who will never again make the mistake of carrying only one magazine. I for one, feel naked without a spare on me. It's almost as bad as going somewhere and forgetting my pistol. I think those of you who rely on your 99.9% reliable pistol to be enough are naive and asking for trouble, but I'm not going to convince some guy on the interwebs. I only hope experience isn't the thing that changes your mind... because it might be too late by then.

Ryno12
07-13-13, 11:40
I can't understand why some people are so passionate about what other people do. We don't all live in inner city Chicago or alone on a 10k ac ranch. Everyone's story & situation is different. Who knows, one 380 round may get the job done or 5 mags of 10mm may not be enough. Being comfortable with what YOU do in YOUR situation is what matters.

Sent via Tapatalk

Devildawg2531
07-13-13, 11:47
I've got to say the concensus has been about 90% in favor of the extra mag or 2 and very valid points. I am going to adjust my daily pack out accordingly. Even considering replacing my former G27 with a G19 or G26 (still considering G27 as well). Long story for another thread but G27 is now at the bottom of a river :mad:

The current options of G22, G34 and G24 WITH 2 EXTRA MAGS are less than ideal for the pool / beach next week.

rickmy
07-13-13, 12:08
Naive. Weapons malfunction. Things happen out of our control. Full size weapon or not, magazine malfunctions can still happen, even with a reliable weapon. We had a shooting last week where the good guy got 2 rounds off before taking a round into his hand and exploding the mag out of the weapon. The weapon would have still fired had he had another mag to replace his "serviceable" magazine with. Luckily his 2 rounds dropped the guy, but it would have been a bad day had they not. Magazines aren't serviceable in a gun fight.

Might as well say you don't have to carry a weapon because you've never used it.

Different strokes for different folks. I don't carry an extra mag but I stay very fit. I think its ridiculous when someone spews on and on about being prepared but is 30lbs+ over weight. The stats show you are much more likely to die prematurely from the extra lbs than a lethal encounter. The examples go on and on. Same thing when I see someone who is tactically sound but smokes.

Ranger45
07-13-13, 12:43
I usually carry one spare in a mag carrier and one in a pocket when carrying 9mm or .40. When I carry my G21, I use a dual mag carrier. I also usually keep two to three spares in the truck.

Hogsgunwild
07-13-13, 12:55
I prefer to just lead by example rather than try to persuade the interwebs. There are those who make an informed deision, based on a calculated cost:benefit applicable to their needs. There are others making their decisions otherwise. Either way, I'm not responsible for them, only myself.

I agree completely. I do occasionally enjoy a theoretical conversation about something as simple as how many mags to carry and have already learned a thing or two from those with more real world experience than myself. The officer shot in the hand was a perfect example, especially considering that the handgun can be a focus point during a shootout.

Hell, it's not like I don't occasionally run to the store in my swimming trunks or workout shorts with just a small gun and one reload but I always try to err on carrying more versus less. I consider us as all friends here so don't mind sharing perspectives, but I won't lose any sleep if few agree with my thought process as we are all big boys (and girls?).

Hogsgunwild
07-13-13, 12:59
Different strokes for different folks. I don't carry an extra mag but I stay very fit. I think its ridiculous when someone spews on and on about being prepared but is 30lbs+ over weight. The stats show you are much more likely to die prematurely from the extra lbs than a lethal encounter. The examples go on and on. Same thing when I see someone who is tactically sound but smokes.

I am 49 years old and am in excellent shape. I sprint, I spar and can't do a three minute round like I could 15 years ago, but, I still practice it.
Just like I train to dominate and overwhelm in a street fight, having more ammo is part of that thought process if it turns into a gunfight.

MontePR
07-13-13, 13:09
I carry a g17. No extra mag unless I feel the area I'm going to be in merits having extra magazines.

Abraham
07-13-13, 13:18
Yes, I carry a spare, fully loaded magazine.

It's not a burden and may save my life.

Spare magazine carriers are low cost, easy to find too, for whatever caliber you choose.

Get one - you'll feel safer and you'll be better prepared if the one in the mag well fails.

jaxman7
07-13-13, 14:03

Who doesn't?

Seriously?

I don't even understand how this can be debated. Heck if I could put a redimag on a handgun I'd do it in a heartbeat. :)

Always a second magazine.

-Jax

.XL
07-13-13, 14:16
Most of the time two extra mags.

PatrioticDisorder
07-13-13, 14:32
Good practice to carry one. I used to carry an extra mag & a BUG, now I just carry my shield 40 with no extra mag... Except today I walked out of the house with an extra mag, considering I live in Miami I do worry about small scale rioting post verdict for Zimmerman trial & I don't want to be the next Reginald Denny.

Hogsgunwild
07-13-13, 14:52
Good practice to carry one. I used to carry an extra mag & a BUG, now I just carry my shield 40 with no extra mag... Except today I walked out of the house with an extra mag, considering I live in Miami I do worry about small scale rioting post verdict for Zimmerman trial & I don't want to be the next Reginald Denny.

Good for you for carrying but how far would Reginald Denny have gotten with the capacity that you are carrying? I know that the bro with the pistol grip pump shotgun missed Reginald from a few feet away but still... If I were in that shit-hole that he was in, I wouldn't have felt that I had a chance without two PPQs and a shit-load of hi-caps on my belt. And that would be my absolute minimum "Escape From New York" load-out. Really a M4 and two pistols would make me feel like I had a fighting chance of getting out of there.

dash1
07-13-13, 15:12
fwiw:

I know many here have watched these video clips, some many times over, some never, . . . . but once, twice more can only help/remind.
Please watch both, especially the second video/link of the interviews:

FBI 1986 Miami Shootout Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlSCE88UhyA

FBI 1986 Miami Shootout Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAUDnzDhQpc

These interviews are great reminders to us all, then, now, and for the future. Evil is still Evil, that hasn't changed in thousands of years. Evil in 1986 is no different from today . . . . What is different is that we have knowledge, been educated-been warned, have quality training accessible to us, the internet to share tactics-lessons-training-mindset, proper mindset, quality training, & continued training is key. . . .

Second video addresses so many things discussed in this thread:
* Additional Ammunition in the vehicle
* Ammunition on your person
* Weapon Capacity

A "Few" Key Points that I can think of to add to this thread from the interviews:
* Mindset
* Humans with our will/drive, applies to "good & evil minded" alike, can take a crap load of abuse before the lights go out.

Thanks for posting the links. I clearly remember when this happened. It has been a while since I've read anything about it and it was good to go over it again.

shaneinhisroom
07-13-13, 15:15
I don't, but that's a wardrobe/lifestyle choice. All my clothes are a bit tighter fitting than normal. There is simply nowhere to stick an extra mag.

I do have extra mags in the car though.

PatrioticDisorder
07-13-13, 15:33
Good for you for carrying but how far would Reginald Denny have gotten with the capacity that you are carrying? I know that the bro with the pistol grip pump shotgun missed Reginald from a few feet away but still... If I were in that shit-hole that he was in, I wouldn't have felt that I had a chance without two PPQs and a shit-load of hi-caps on my belt. And that would be my absolute minimum "Escape From New York" load-out. Really a M4 and two pistols would make me feel like I had a fighting chance of getting out of there.

I hear ya, but it's hard for me to lug a big pistol down here for various reasons and a rifle is out of the question so all but my carry gun stay in PBC when I'm not working. My plan is to evade any possible confrontations, the pistol is a fail safe and my plan is to get the **** out of dodge not have the shoot out at the OK Coral. Yes, I'd feel better with more firepower but I believe I can make due with what I have, besides I stay in a heavily Cuban section of Miami when I'm down here, which I believe is a low risk area for any kind of riot.

Moose-Knuckle
07-13-13, 16:17
I don't, but that's a wardrobe/lifestyle choice. All my clothes are a bit tighter fitting than normal. There is simply nowhere to stick an extra mag.

Year round I wear cargo pants/shorts. I buy brands that have internal pockets inside the cargo pockets. This is where I stow my spare G17 mag.

Mr. Greene
07-13-13, 16:56
Most of the time I carry in an Eagle fanny pack so I have 2 spare mags plus a nylon restraint and flashlight. But for days without the fanny pack I just carry one mag as a backup

shaneinhisroom
07-13-13, 17:38
Year round I wear cargo pants/shorts. I buy brands that have internal pockets inside the cargo pockets. This is where I stow my spare G17 mag.

Not to be offensive but I won't wear cargo pants if I'm not working on something messy. I get most of my button up shirts tailored so there is little room except for a Shield or Glock 19.

It's something I"m willing to live with. I'm 25 years old and live in Uptown Dallas if that helps form an image at all :)

Vendetta
07-13-13, 20:06
Not to be offensive but I won't wear cargo pants if I'm not working on something messy. I get most of my button up shirts tailored so there is little room except for a Shield or Glock 19.

It's something I"m willing to live with. I'm 25 years old and live in Uptown Dallas if that helps form an image at all :)

The past couple capital murder suspects we have tracked down have been from northern Dallas offenses. Crazy hooligans...

Always worth being prepared, be it mindset, spare mags, physical shape...whatever.

Moose-Knuckle
07-13-13, 20:35

Ah yes uptown, around these parts guys from that area are known as "metro-sexuals" due to their manner of dress. :D
A lot of the criminals have caught on to the soft targets in the Park Cities. North Park mall has there share of strong armed robberies these days.

This day in age many "cargo" style pants and shorts are low profile, take the Vertx line for example.

http://www.wearvertx.com/

Dobie
07-13-13, 20:46

Self defense gets messy :p

R.P.
07-13-13, 20:57
I always carry a spare g19 mag in my pocket.

shaneinhisroom
07-13-13, 21:43
Ah yes uptown, around these parts guys from that area are known as "metro-sexuals" due to their manner of dress. :D
A lot of the criminals have caught on to the soft targets in the Park Cities. North Park mall has there share of strong armed robberies these days.

This day in age many "cargo" style pants and shorts are low profile, take the Vertx line for example.

http://www.wearvertx.com/

Quite unfortunate. I like that mall. I'm OK with being labeled a metro sexual if it helps get me the ladies:jester:

I carry and I"m in good shape, I do crossfit 4x a week and I eat healthy. I think it's all about balance. Carrying an extra mag is just uncomfortable and I have to change my entire wardrobe...A gun is cumbersome enough. Meh.

I'll wear a seatbelt when I get in my car, but I"m not going to wear a 5 point harness.

lunchbox
07-13-13, 23:47
Many have stated that the main reason for xtra mag is not for ammo but malfunction. One might could make an argument for specific gun consideration(maybe?). My thing is (if not mistaken) I haven't heard of too many Glock mag malf that couldn't be cleared and reinserted. Glock factory mags kick ass, anyway if you had back up mag, you would still have to clear malf before inserting extra mag. I know I should carry an extra (I will be carryn extra for next couple, but afterwards back to norm) mag, that should be ready for all situations. Just makin an argument for the 1 mag guys.. Its like packing 2 condoms in your wallet, just in case:D..

alvincullumyork
07-14-13, 00:14
I usually carry a spare just for malfunctions not so much extra capacity although having 34 solutions to the problems I may face is comforting. The only malfunctions I have had with my current pistol have been magazine related with aluminum or lacquered steel cased ammo. The only time I don't carry a spare is when I got to church and tuck my shirt in. Pocketing a spare is very bulky and I don't have tuck able magazine pouch, I probably wouldn't use it even if I had it.

alvincullumyork
07-14-13, 00:14
Double post.

Hogsgunwild
07-14-13, 11:41
Quite unfortunate. I like that mall. I'm OK with being labeled a metro sexual if it helps get me the ladies:jester:

I carry and I"m in good shape, I do crossfit 4x a week and I eat healthy. I think it's all about balance. Carrying an extra mag is just uncomfortable and I have to change my entire wardrobe...A gun is cumbersome enough. Meh.

I'll wear a seatbelt when I get in my car, but I"m not going to wear a 5 point harness.

Hey bro, you are not alone. I was a Levis jeans and XLarge shirt type prior to meeting my (now ex) wife nearly ten years ago. Much easier to pack a lot of stuff. She always joked that "it's amazing that I ever got laid". She introduced me to more "stylish" clothes and I was amazed at how many women instantly took notice. I think that part of it is that woman appreciate a man that pays attention to style and part of it is simply that clothes tend to fit tighter and better so you look more attractive (if you are in shape, anyhow). When I see someone that is dressed similarly and is in good shape, like I am, I now think "he looks confident and seems to to have his shit together. I wonder what else he has up his sleeve" (as in weapons and types of training). Now, your typical gutter rat may see a challenge, may despise me because of his perception of me having a better life-style, but being in good physical condition and my self-confidence can't be faked and I personally would not target someone like that first. Neither will I plan on going to some of the crappier parts of Phoenix dressed like this, although I have and wasn't too worried about it.

I attained my first CWP in '98 and have learned a lot since then. It has a lot to do with your build of course, being pickier on the clothes that you buy and trying out several types of weapons until finding what is optimal, but it is amazing how much you can pack if you need to, even under tight fitting clothes. Being a lefty, I have found that my P99C with it's shorter but fatter grip conceals better at 8:00 to 9:00, IWB, than my Shied with a flush seven round mag does. I have played with horizontal mag holders (that I made / modified) a lot this year and I think that they are an excellent way to go. Very fast reloads, they don't annoy me at all and sitting in a restaurant or bending over at the grocery there are no worries of printing.
I have revisited AIWB for the third time this last week and finally found what I think is my sweet spot. I could not stand AIWB carry before and never thought that it would work for me. I cut leather, used a Makita grinder on the bottom of the Kydex and modified where the holster belt hooks attach to the holster. It made a big difference and soon I found myself carring my PPQ and P99C with two reloads with relative ease. I was amazed there was so little difference in how the PPQ carried versus the P99 compact. Of course now I want to purchase a full Kydex AIWB holster for better retention of a gun with a trigger like the PPQ. The P99C has a de-cocker so it isn't as big of a deal. Perhaps a full-sized P99 is the answer. My search keeps evolving but if you really want to conceal stuff badly enough, I think that you can find a way.
Last metro-sexual tip: sometimes it costs more money to make things work. I have found that better quality clothes help with the concealment process if you also desire tighter fitting clothes.

Thought that I would add that one cheap nylon Uncle Mikes type of double mag pouch (modified / chopped down with no flap) is a tool that I use several times a week in my support-hand side front pocket for one or two extra magazines, a mag and knife, knife and flashlight, knife only, etc. Very flexible, was great for a 4th and 5th 1911 mag when I was going somewhere where I felt it could be helpful. I have used this eight dollar tool for many years and it has been a very, very helpful tool.

dash1
07-14-13, 13:49
I've seen a magazine fall out of a pistol during a draw stroke. I've also seen clumsy and fouled up reloads where the magazine was dropped and the shooter drove on by getting another spare magazine out. IMO it is much more efficient to be able to draw a spare magazine than to fumble around for a dropped magazine.

theblackknight
07-14-13, 14:06

So by that failed logic, how many squad members with m4's do you conduct daily business with? Do you guys have a spare Vic in case the primary goes down? Might as well never leave the house because your guns never work, you can't run, your hand can't grasp. I plan for Murphy too, but I expect of myself to win with whatever the situation deals me. That's my mindset.

I carry a blade as well, if my gun hand just took a hit, knife is faster then a weak handed, one hand reload.

You have to strike a healthy balance. Does no one here ever have social functions where wearing untailored, roomy clothing will make you suspect? If nothing is ever enough, how can you draw a line? 8 will always be 7 etc.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

shaneinhisroom
07-14-13, 14:44
Hey bro, you are not alone. I was a Levis jeans and XLarge shirt type prior to meeting my (now ex) wife nearly ten years ago. Much easier to pack a lot of stuff. She always joked that "it's amazing that I ever got laid". She introduced me to more "stylish" clothes and I was amazed at how many women instantly took notice. I think that part of it is that woman appreciate a man that pays attention to style and part of it is simply that clothes tend to fit tighter and better so you look more attractive (if you are in shape, anyhow). When I see someone that is dressed similarly and is in good shape, like I am, I now think "he looks confident and seems to to have his shit together. I wonder what else he has up his sleeve" (as in weapons and types of training). Now, your typical gutter rat may see a challenge, may despise me because of his perception of me having a better life-style, but being in good physical condition and my self-confidence can't be faked and I personally would not target someone like that first. Neither will I plan on going to some of the crappier parts of Phoenix dressed like this, although I have and wasn't too worried about it.

I attained my first CWP in '98 and have learned a lot since then. It has a lot to do with your build of course, being pickier on the clothes that you buy and trying out several types of weapons until finding what is optimal, but it is amazing how much you can pack if you need to, even under tight fitting clothes. Being a lefty, I have found that my P99C with it's shorter but fatter grip conceals better at 8:00 to 9:00, IWB, than my Shied with a flush seven round mag does. I have played with horizontal mag holders (that I made / modified) a lot this year and I think that they are an excellent way to go. Very fast reloads, they don't annoy me at all and sitting in a restaurant or bending over at the grocery there are no worries of printing.
I have revisited AIWB for the third time this last week and finally found what I think is my sweet spot. I could not stand AIWB carry before and never thought that it would work for me. I cut leather, used a Makita grinder on the bottom of the Kydex and modified where the holster belt hooks attach to the holster. It made a big difference and soon I found myself carring my PPQ and P99C with two reloads with relative ease. I was amazed there was so little difference in how the PPQ carried versus the P99 compact. Of course now I want to purchase a full Kydex AIWB holster for better retention of a gun with a trigger like the PPQ. The P99C has a de-cocker so it isn't as big of a deal. Perhaps a full-sized P99 is the answer. My search keeps evolving but if you really want to conceal stuff badly enough, I think that you can find a way.
Last metro-sexual tip: sometimes it costs more money to make things work. I have found that better quality clothes help with the concealment process if you also desire tighter fitting clothes.

Thought that I would add that one cheap nylon Uncle Mikes type of double mag pouch (modified / chopped down with no flap) is a tool that I use several times a week in my support-hand side front pocket for one or two extra magazines, a mag and knife, knife and flashlight, knife only, etc. Very flexible, was great for a 4th and 5th 1911 mag when I was going somewhere where I felt it could be helpful. I have used this eight dollar tool for many years and it has been a very, very helpful tool.

Agree with everything you say. I would consider carrying an extra magazine for my Shield 9 because of the single stack size, but the base plate kills it for me. Other than that my Glock 19 magazines are just too damn thick for me. Almost all my daily wear, business or casual is tucked in. Think this:

http://morganlinton.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Bonobos-Pants.png

I train in what I wear (I don't wear tacticool clothes when I train, I wear exactly what you see above so I don't have a false sense of timing), and I can get a shot off fairly reliably in under 1.5s in 7yd. I'm always in the city so if an altercation starts I find it pretty likely I can find cover before I empty the 7 rounds. From there I can just book it to safety provided I can outrun the criminal...I was a sprinter in college so I think I can do that with little issue.

So by that failed logic, how many squad members with m4's do you conduct daily business with? Do you guys have a spare Vic in case the primary goes down? Might as well never leave the house because your guns never work, you can't run, your hand can't grasp. I plan for Murphy too, but I expect of myself to win with whatever the situation deals me. That's my mindset.

I carry a blade as well, if my gun hand just took a hit, knife is faster then a weak handed, one hand reload.

You have to strike a healthy balance. Does no one here ever have social functions where wearing untailored, roomy clothing will make you suspect? If nothing is ever enough, how can you draw a line? 8 will always be 7 etc.

I also carry a blade. That's more for envelope opening than self defense but it can be a useful last ditch effort. I agree with everything you say.

aguila327
07-14-13, 14:50
It will be an amusing day at the range when domeone shows up in those hues.

Nothing agsinst style. I'm just imagining the hilarious ribbing and commenting going on.

shaneinhisroom
07-14-13, 15:08
It will be an amusing day at the range when domeone shows up in those hues.

Nothing agsinst style. I'm just imagining the hilarious ribbing and commenting going on.

Perks of training on a private range :jester:

Besides, I would imagine those comments would stop once the timer comes out.

MistWolf
07-14-13, 15:14

:bad:

kevN
07-14-13, 15:27
I carry a G19 spare in a "Magholder" for my 19 and 26. Magholder is horizontal and has excellent retention, much more comfy than a vertical RCS mag pouch for me (I'm tubby).

Recommended.

Mauser KAR98K
07-14-13, 16:07
I at least carry one additional. If it is my M&P9, the spare is a 22 round mag. It's for malfunctions, and if I get caught (unlikely, but the world has gotten crazier lately) in a very bad situation. Also helps to be a big guy.

shaneinhisroom
07-14-13, 16:45

:bad:

Not sure what the point of this post was, but to each his/her own.

Hogsgunwild
07-14-13, 23:28
Hey Mist Wolf, didn't I see you post a picture of you on the other forum with a cute little safari hat and outfit on? Kind of the "tacticool meets metro-sexual and goes on a safari" look? :eek:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself... :jester:

SeriousStudent
07-14-13, 23:33
Let's get back to the OP's topic of carrying mags, rather than clothing choices. Thanks.

MistWolf
07-15-13, 01:49
Hey Mist Wolf, didn't I see you post a picture of you on the other forum with a cute little safari hat and outfit on? Kind of the "tacticool meets metro-sexual and goes on a safari" look? :eek:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself... :jester:

Are you dissing the hat? I'll have you know, that's a very practical fedora made of canvass so a man can dip it the Nile to keep his head cool through the effects of evaporation. "Safari hat" indeed! CUTE!?! The hat doesn't make the man, the man makes the hat.

Since when is dressing practical "metro sexual"?? As to the color, it's chosen because it's cool. Not cool like in cool but cool as in it reflects the sun to keep you from cooking in the desert heat! Practical is timeless. Fifty years from now, people will see that hat and think "Now there's a stylish hat that's not only practical, but with a timeless, classic good look. A man's hat. Real women always love men who wear such hats." Can you say the same about that eye wrenching mish-mash of neon pastels?

With a hat like that, a man can conceal a 45 automatic with ease. Humphrey Bogart wore a fedora and nobody could ever tell he always carried a large 45 automatic- not until it was too late. In fact, the fedora works so well it even let Gutman's weenie minion Wilmer Cook carry two while searching for the Maltese Falcon. Perfectly concealed! I don't think them neon pastel duds would let you get away with carrying more than a single two "r" Deringer knock off. Heck, I've heard stories of G-Men getting away with concealing whole Tommyguns while wearing a fedora. How's them apples, eh?

I'll have you know, that hat has been from the east coast to the west coast and from the Mexican border to the Canadian border. It's been wetted in rivers, lakes, streams and even mud puddles all across the country. It has survived sun, rain, snow, wind and hail. It's been tipped to howdy and brought smiles from some of the prettiest, smartest and best ladies you could hope to meet. I could not have won the heart of my lovely wife without it- and it's never ever been inside a Burger King, thank you very much! Can any of those "dandy duds" say the same? No.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go make my preparations before hunting the cunning and very dangerous jackalope of the Southwest Deserts. Can't go on Safari without my hat

maw1777
07-15-13, 02:10
I did carry a Extra mag with my Nano before I got the 8 round extension. The extra mag was always digging into my side or leg.

Moose-Knuckle
07-15-13, 04:09
Hell even my wife carries an extra G17 mag with her daily and she is a white collar corporate type.

PD Sgt.
07-15-13, 11:02
I always carry at least one spare mag, or a speed strip/loader if I am carrying a revolver. Too many malfunctions can be magazine related, or at least require you to dump your magazine, for me not to feel the need to have a second with me.

If I am carrying a pistol with a capacity less than 10 (1911, M&P 45C), I will strongly consider two spare mags. Also, if I feel where I am going, and when I will be there merit it, I will carry two spare mags, regardless of capacity.

Big A
07-15-13, 12:23

If you were to so desire I bet you could find a tailor that could do cutom work and put in a hidden pocket for a spare magazine or other items.

fallenangelhim
07-15-13, 12:36
i tried carrying 2 extra mags. in South Florida weather, it didn't work out too well. if in a tee shirt, sweat makes everything see through. if in cargo pants, that cargo pocket swings around more than others. my alternative: i carry a book bag and look like a college kid.

HES
07-15-13, 21:15
i tried carrying 2 extra mags. in South Florida weather, it didn't work out too well. if in a tee shirt, sweat makes everything see through. if in cargo pants, that cargo pocket swings around more than others. my alternative: i carry a book bag and look like a college kid.
Tampa here. I normally wear cargo shorts and shove them in my rear pocket. However I am ordering two Kytex mag carriers (http://www.kytexgear.com/products-page/pistol-mag-carriers/). I think it was LLB that said to carry them IWB, you just order the mags as if you were gonna carry them strong side and then mount them backwards on your belt, inside the waist band.

punkey71
07-15-13, 21:37
Tampa here. I normally wear cargo shorts and shove them in my rear pocket. However I am ordering two Kytex mag carriers (http://www.kytexgear.com/products-page/pistol-mag-carriers/). I think it was LLB that said to carry them IWB, you just order the mags as if you were gonna carry them strong size and then mount them backwards on your belt, inside the waist band.

I do just that at 11 o'clock.

I carry a G19 in a JM Custom AIWB at 1 o'clock and a spare mag at 11 o'clock IWB. The mag carrier is a Kytex Gear ordered for a lefty shooter. Ordering the "wrong" side puts it IWB with bullets forward. The small gap at 11 o'clock created by the 1 o'clock AIWB bolster is perfect for the mag carrier.

Comfortable and no printing whatsoever.

Harold

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

HES
07-15-13, 21:42
I do just that at 11 o'clock.

I carry a G19 in a JM Custom AIWB at 1 o'clock and a spare mag at 11 o'clock IWB. The mag carrier is a Kytex Gear ordered for a lefty shooter. Ordering the "wrong" side puts it IWB with bullets forward. The small gap at 11 o'clock created by the 1 o'clock AIWB bolster is perfect for the mag carrier.

Comfortable and no printing whatsoever.

Harold

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Well I just dropped my order. Ill let ya know how it works out.

fotomaker57
07-15-13, 21:47
I always carry one spare mag for my glock 27. I feel it's better to have it and not need it than not have it if I do

big_pErm
07-15-13, 21:48
Carry an extra extended 7 rounder for my sigP938 with 147 grain hydra shocks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

punkey71
07-15-13, 21:51
I can't comment on how I think you will like them at 3-4 o'clock as I am very sold on wearing everything on tbe front but the simplicity and quality if the carriers was very good. .....And you can't beat the price.

tommyrott
07-15-13, 23:58
carry a g22 for my g23 + flashlight(SF fury) got caught in a high rise one time at work when the power went out building wide before they installed e-lights was the only person with a flashlight(minimag) was very popular till we got outside

HES
07-16-13, 01:38
I can't comment on how I think you will like them at 3-4 o'clock as I am very sold on wearing everything on tbe front but the simplicity and quality if the carriers was very good. .....And you can't beat the price.
Im a southpaw and carry up front. So for me it'll be at about 1

kihnspiracy
07-16-13, 02:02
I always have 2 spare mags on me when I CCW. More in the vehicle.

jklaughrey
07-16-13, 02:14
G27 w/ 2 G22 mags for reloads.

Koshinn
07-16-13, 02:17
M&P9c with a 12 rd pinky extension and crimson trace grip IWB, and a 17rd mag with the adapter (not needed for function, but makes it easier to hold) on other hip. Figure 30 rds should be enough for ccw.

thatpanda
07-16-13, 07:27
Glock 19 or glock 26 with at least 1 reload.

Spurholder
07-16-13, 07:50
Always carry an extra G17 mag OWB on my weak side. "Cause you never know...

Agree with everything you say. I would consider carrying an extra magazine for my Shield 9 because of the single stack size, but the base plate kills it for me. Other than that my Glock 19 magazines are just too damn thick for me. Almost all my daily wear, business or casual is tucked in.

Not my cup of tea, but maybe something like this could work for you? :shrug:

http://www.snagmag.com/

punkey71
07-16-13, 08:08
Im a southpaw and carry up front. So for me it'll be at about 1

In that case I think you will be very pleased.

I have no excuse to not carry a reload when out and about now.

07-16-13, 08:21
When I carry a revolver I always carry a reload in a "speed strip". Hardly speedy but it is a reload. When I carry a pistol I haven't been carrying a reload but I should.

jondoe297
07-16-13, 08:29
I usually have one either on me or close to me.

Rharp
07-16-13, 10:20
When I carry my P938, my 7 round mag is in the gun, with a 6 rounder in a pocket holster. I don't carry a spare with my XDM compact. This gives me 14 rounds, regardless of which gun I'm carrying.

warpigM-4
07-16-13, 13:46
I carry a extra 10rd and 8 rd on my belt for my HK 45 compact

Swag
07-16-13, 14:06
I stopped looking at it as having "extra ammo". It's not "extra ammo". Think "spare magazine" as in spare part. As stated before, magazine malfs can occur rendering it inop. I've had it happen on a firing line under ideal terms. That means it can happen out there under less than ideal terms. The spare is there for JIC.

I do carry with one spare with whatever I have and it really isn't a burden at all.

B Cart
07-16-13, 15:09
I always carry an extra mag in case of mag malfunction or the need for more ammo. My current EDC setup is my Walter PPQ 9mm with attached TLR-1s and an extra 17rd mag.

lunchbox
07-16-13, 23:48
http://www.snagmag.com/I like the look of that. I hate mag floating around in pocket, and when wear on belt my 2yr likes to use it as step:rolleyes:. I can stash mags in baby bags and car, but that's not really carrying on my person. Something that could clip on the inside like a pocket knife, would cure me.. I hate to say it but a lot of it depends on style of clothing being worn. Winter jacket with lots-o-pockets, sure. Summer shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops, nope.

theblackknight
07-17-13, 13:51
I hate to say it but a lot of it depends on style of clothing being worn. Winter jacket with lots-o-pockets, sure. Summer shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops, nope.

That's part of being a functioning human dude. I'm not sure how people hide all this stuff around the beach, or in nice clothes in the middle of July at a nice sit down joint.

Moose-Knuckle
07-17-13, 15:09
That's part of being a functioning human dude. I'm not sure how people hide all this stuff around the beach, or in nice clothes in the middle of July at a nice sit down joint.

That's easy silly, just get you one of those European shoulder bags (aka Jack Bauer bag, man purse). :sarcastic:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/Jack-Bauer-EE-Bag1_zpsbbc59f69.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/AKS-74/media/Jack-Bauer-EE-Bag1_zpsbbc59f69.jpg.html)

bandj524
07-17-13, 15:43
if carrying my shield 40 two magazines. if my m&p 40 compact one magazine.

TACAV
07-17-13, 15:47
Always one extra mag for my bigger guns like my full sized M&P9 or my Sig

If I am carrying something tiny like my M&P9 Shield than sometimes two.

Gatorshark
07-17-13, 15:58
2 extra in the car.

dookie1481
07-17-13, 19:23

Who doesn't?

Seriously?

I don't. Never had a mag-related malf, which of course does not preclude one from occurring, but it is such a remote possibility to me that I don't concern myself with it.

I know, I'm not a "serious shooter" and Murphy may strike when 2 is none or some shit like that.

theblackknight
07-17-13, 20:30
That's easy silly, just get you one of those European shoulder bags (aka Jack Bauer bag, man purse). :sarcastic:

I could get away with it around here. If anyone asks, "I'm in media". :D

shakazulu12
07-17-13, 21:49
I honestly never did until I started shooting competition. Now it's just habit.

HES
07-17-13, 22:42
Depends on your clothing. Not only have I dropped 60 lbs (5'10 and now about 170) but the wife has decided to play "dress up barbie" with me. That means I'm being given trendy clothes (whats wrong with a t-shirt or fishing shirt and cargo pants). The clothes cut these days is tight. So instead of wearing a medium in the latest fashion I go with a large. It helps that untucked is in. If I have to wear business casual, then I simply slightly blouse my shirt.

SmokeJumper
07-17-13, 23:16
Always carry at least one spare mag while in off-duty carry mode, sometimes two depending on where I may be or going. Also carry a bail-out bag in the car with extra mags and other items of necessity just as I do at work. Even carry a reload for my BUG .38, YMMV

Wake27
07-18-13, 00:07

I'm with you. I've seen way too many people try to carry everything they'd need to survive. Sure, it may be "prepared," but I'm more confident in my adaptability then they must be I guess. I draw the line at my G19. I keep the 33 rounder in my door, and a spare mag in my bag in the trunk and am never far from my car. Plus, a solid 90% of the time I'm in public it's either somewhere I can't carry (college :rolleyes:), or I'm at dinner, getting groceries, or something along those lines. Back to my car in an hour, two tops. I kind of also feel that if I ever needed to actually draw my weapon much less fire it, that would use up whatever bad luck I may have for some time. The likelihood of needing a CCW is small, the likelihood of needing more than 15 rounds for it is even smaller. I'm not against it, I just don't see it as necessary or even practical yet. I'm sure if I find a carrier that I like and can pop on and off quickly then I may pick it up.

theblackknight
07-18-13, 00:07
(whats wrong with a t-shirt or fishing shirt and cargo pants). The clothes cut these days is tight.

Fitting your lifestyle and clothing around a gun in the way most gun people will make you into a hermit. Women like men who can dress. I'm sure some women might like the Steve Erwin look as a costume, but not a majority of the time.

Anyone reading this should do yourself a favor and read this thread.
http://www.totalprotectioninteractive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15379

Whether we like to admit it or not, we are all concerned about our appearance. This business of dressing like a schlub in shirts two sizes too large to facilitate carrying 5 pounds (literally) of lumpy gear makes a guy look like crap and we all know it. Just as importantly, the women in our lives know it. And they hate it. Don’t think they’re not embarrassed by your fashion faux pas. Don’t pretend you don’t know that they’re embarrassed. And 999 out of 1000 women aren’t going to even consider that as a fashion strategy.

Wake27
07-18-13, 00:12
Fitting your lifestyle and clothing around a gun in the way most gun people will make you into a hermit. Women like men who can dress. I'm sure some women might like the Steve Erwin as a costume, but not a majority of the time.

That's another thing, cover garments like an unbuttoned button-down shirt overtop a tshirt may work very well, but it's not a style I see many dudes rockin well. Not to mention boots and BDU pants or whatnot. VERTX sure, everything else not so much.

shaneinhisroom
07-18-13, 16:28
I just look at it this way:

What are the chances of my actually having to pull my gun? (not yet in the areas I frequently travel to)

What are the chances of after pulling my gun I am forced to press a shot? (Let's assume 100% for sake of argument, but it's not)

What are the chances of pulling my gun, having to use it AND having a mag related failure I cannot clear by a tap and rack? (in the 8-9k+ rounds I've fored through my CCW guns, less than .01% were malfunction, 0% mag related. Yeah I keep track.)

Is that percentage worth me changing my wardrobe? ...probably not.

I don't get caught up in Murphy's law or before I know it I'd be carrying 3 spare mags, 2 flashlights, 4 knives and a Life Alert dongle around my neck.

Swag
07-18-13, 16:34
If absolutely necessary, utilize ankle specific holsters and mag carriers when dressed up. Dressed down or shorts (who tucks with shorts?) - usual carry. Not that hard.

ghost762
07-18-13, 16:52
Ive started to carry two. I have spare mag pouches for both the Bodyguard .380 and the M&P40. Plus up here in NW WA. It rarely gets warm enough that I can't were an undershirt and a concealment shirt over the top of that.

MistWolf
07-18-13, 19:39
I am surprised none of the clothes horses have brought up that clothing can be tailored so carrying is comfortable, concealment is enhanced and fit is still stylish. For all the talk about how important spending a little extra for a good holster, ammo and handgun, why not talk about spending a little more for tailoring?

shaneinhisroom
07-18-13, 20:34
I am surprised none of the clothes horses have brought up that clothing can be tailored so carrying is comfortable, concealment is enhanced and fit is still stylish. For all the talk about how important spending a little extra for a good holster, ammo and handgun, why not talk about spending a little more for tailoring?

Good point. I guess because all my clothes were already tailored pre my decision to every day carry, so it would in most cases require me to buy new clothes since you can't just 'add material back onto the shirt'. I'd have to start all from scratch again.

Crow Hunter
07-19-13, 12:54
I usually carry a spare mag in a pocket along with an Endura and a Surefire Backup.

I would drop the spare mag before I dropped the light and I would drop the light before I dropped the knife.

I gave up on looking trendy 10 years ago. As a matter of fact, my wife would make fun of me if I started dressing trendy. :D

theblackknight
07-19-13, 14:11
Most of the clothing talked about here is pretty timeless.

Moose-Knuckle
07-19-13, 14:51
I usually carry a spare mag in a pocket along with an Endura and a Surefire Backup.

I would drop the spare mag before I dropped the light and I would drop the light before I dropped the knife.

I gave up on looking trendy 10 years ago. As a matter of fact, my wife would make fun of me if I started dressing trendy. :D

Yeah I married a smoking hot babe and if I EVER compromised my daily carry over the latest fad clothing she would without hestitation call me a faggot and ask for my man card. Then again she CCW a G19 w/ a spare G17 mag, a Benchmade folder, and a Streamlight Protac 2L. ;)

Koshinn
07-19-13, 15:19
Yeah I married a smoking hot babe

You can't say that online without posting a picture. Just sayin.

Moose-Knuckle
07-19-13, 15:24

My bad, but I don't come to the internet to post pictures . . . :p

Wake27
07-19-13, 20:59

He really can't...

rocsteady
07-19-13, 21:25
One spare mag on belt as I carry my work issued, full-size G22. Figure if I wear enough clothes to conceal that monster then I have no excuse not to have the mag.

Feel like I'm only half prepared if I don't have the extra mag

XxWoodsHunterxX
07-20-13, 01:29
Ive started to carry two. I have spare mag pouches for both the Bodyguard .380 and the M&P40. Plus up here in NW WA. It rarely gets warm enough that I can't were an undershirt and a concealment shirt over the top of that.

Who makes the mag pouches I need one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so lay off the spelling critique. Thanks

titsonritz
07-20-13, 03:15
two glocks, one spare mag

Lee D
07-20-13, 13:04
I am also one of the fellas who doesn't keep up with fashion trends and would probably look silly if I tried. blue jeans, work boots and a t-shirt is what you will see me wearing 99% of the time, so a spare mag really isn't an issue. there are back pockets on a pair of jeans for a reason, and adding a single stack mag to my daily carry "junk" is hardly an inconvenience.

M_Rapp
07-21-13, 09:15
While I have not done a ton of training the classes I have done spend a lot of time on solving problems with the handgun. I figure there must be a reason.... I always care 2 spare, a knife, and a light.

The right holster and mag pouch makes it easy enough to conceal. I've never been big on style, function trumps style any day IMO. But, there are plenty of ways to work around CC if style needs demand it.

I like Cabela's, LL Bean, etc. because they sell size Talls. The longer tails help give you enough to help conceal with the need to go up sizes larger than what one normally wears.

RBid
07-21-13, 16:25
I typically carry a spare mag for my G19 in a nylon belt sheath. It looks like a knife or flashlight pouch. While working, I keep a spare in my EDC bag-- a black UTG knock off of the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack.

When I need to look sharper than casual, I ditch the spare.

Krull
07-21-13, 16:44
Depends on where I am,out shopping I just bring one spare,walking in the woods I'll have two and two speed strips with enough ammo to top off one mag plus one in the chamber.

If I'm hiking or camping add a fifty round box of shells in my pack.

_Stormin_
07-21-13, 17:51
My primary is a 1911, so I always carry a spare mag. Eight plus one is great, but a spare just in case is better.

prez1967
07-21-13, 18:26
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn89/prez1967/Guns/2F7AB1A5-E9CD-4874-B3AD-E3FC07069CEE-10383-0000029339D2FE1C_zpsda6f5be7.jpg (http://s302.photobucket.com/user/prez1967/media/Guns/2F7AB1A5-E9CD-4874-B3AD-E3FC07069CEE-10383-0000029339D2FE1C_zpsda6f5be7.jpg.html)

Glock 36... always carry a spare.

SW-Shooter
07-21-13, 19:40
Sometimes that carrying an IWB mag carrier isn't feasible.

Olaf
07-21-13, 19:57
When I can ccw, I always carry at least one spare mag, two if they are single stack. I also carry a flashlight, two knives and a phone.

johnnybravo
07-21-13, 21:24
2 15-rounders minimum extra. Its easy to conceal anything under your clothes in gunnison.

reloader550
07-21-13, 22:20
High guys and gals new to the forum,I carry 2 spare high cap mags for my full size m&p 9mm loaded with speer 124grain+p gold dots.

GunBugBit
07-22-13, 11:30
Once in a while, usually in the winter when mode of dress allows for it.

Steve S.
07-22-13, 18:07

You'd have to have really tight clothes to not be able to carry a spare Shield mag. There's a lot of different mag carriers on the market, particularly on the custom side, that are built around deep concealment. Maybe try something outside of the more mainstream options?

I understand your point, but I think the thing to remember here is a spare mag is a very small item that solves many problems without adding much in regards to weight / size.

Have you considered switching to a Compact or SubCompact with a spare mag instead of carrying a Fullsize without one? Just curious.

Couldn't agree more on the knife. I'd rather a blade than a spare mag.

Perks of training on a private range :jester:

Besides, I would imagine those comments would stop once the timer comes out.

Not trying to be confrontational, especially since I agree with some of your points, but with all due respect - if you train like you carry, what drills are you going to show off your pistolcraft with against other shooters considering you have only 8 rounds on your person?

Fitting your lifestyle and clothing around a gun in the way most gun people will make you into a hermit. Women like men who can dress. I'm sure some women might like the Steve Erwin look as a costume, but not a majority of the time.

That's hilarious, and spot on. Who did you quote - SouthNarc?

I had RCS make me this, for the times that carrying an IWB mag carrier isn't feasible.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z253/dhsgman/photo7.jpg

The magazines stay tucked in and only come out when you want them to, it's no slower than reaching for an IWB magazine. When I sit down it evens out my butt because my wallet is on the other side, no discomfort at all. I think it was one of my better idea's, so much so that I barely use the IWB dual mag carrier anymore. It's fitted for .45 Glock Magazines, pictured with G30 mags, but even with G21 mags they sit below the opening, using two fingers pulls them out easily.

Interesting design. But why make the mags face opposing directions? Seems counter-intuative. I also seriously doubt that it's the same speed as drawing from a belt mounted IWB mag carrier. I've put the double IWB mag carrier built for weak side appendix (11 o'clock) on the timer, and it averages to the same time as reloading from strongside OWB - actually slightly faster when both come from concealment. I can't imagine coming from the back pocket would be nearly as fast - probably at least a solid second slower. Which is perfectly fine if it's a more comfortable way to carry spare mags in your situation.

While I have not done a ton of training the classes I have done spend a lot of time on solving problems with the handgun. I figure there must be a reason.... I always care 2 spare, a knife, and a light.

The right holster and mag pouch makes it easy enough to conceal. I've never been big on style, function trumps style any day IMO. But, there are plenty of ways to work around CC if style needs demand it.

I strongly agree with this. Sometimes a hardware fix is all that is needed.

If you're totally against carrying a spare mag, just make sure to modify malfunction drills so that you are training to retain the magazine and reinsert when working through malfunctions.

hypeRR600
07-22-13, 18:16
Typically carry 1 spare.

Six Feet Under
07-22-13, 18:19
I always keep a G17 mag in my front left pocket with my phone when I carry my G19. Also have a knife 99% of the time.

When I'm off work, all I ever wear is jeans/khaki shorts and Columbia fishing shirts or t-shirts. If I have to wear a suit, I can carry OWB or IWB because I took my gun with me when I got fitted for said suit and had the pants and jacket sized to conceal it.

SW-Shooter
07-22-13, 23:49
Steve S.

They are facing in the opposite direction so I can fit them in every one of the back pockets in the various pants I own. I didn't want to limit it to one pair of pants.

As for the speed, we are talking minimal difference that I doubt would amount to whether I live or die. If it's that close I ****ed anyway. It is something you have to practice though. I carry my weak side mags more towards my back anyway, it helps me from ballooning at the sides, or digging in me when I sit.

Here is the design out of the pants, maybe you can tell that facing the same way would be too wide, and for me not fit the smallest width back pockets.

Steve S.
07-23-13, 00:49
Steve S.

They are facing in the opposite direction so I can fit them in every one of the back pockets in the various pants I own. I didn't want to limit it to one pair of pants.

As for the speed, we are talking minimal difference that I doubt would amount to whether I live or die. If it's that close I ****ed anyway. It is something you have to practice though. I carry my weak side mags more towards my back anyway, it helps me from ballooning at the sides, or digging in me when I sit.

Here is the design out of the pants, maybe you can tell that facing the same way would be too wide, and for me not fit the smallest width back pockets.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z253/dhsgman/photo8.jpg

Makes sense. If you ever get another one made, and have the height clearance, maybe consider staggering the right mag (if you're right handed) higher to allow clearance of the baseplate and easier access on the further mag - making both rounds forward. Not to replace this design, just a variation of it - possibly to carry in conjunction by pushing this one to the strong side rear pocket. Just an idea.

It's a cool design though. I use something kind of similar for AIWB double mag carry - but staggered (for M&P mainly) and both billets forward. Being its a "Taco" style, it buys a little more real estate inherently.

One reason I asked is because some shooters keep a spare mag on their strong side, typically in front of the holster. That rearward facing mag could become a huge perk if you have to reload SHO.

Plus it looks cool aesthetically.

Had to ask - thanks for the response.

SW-Shooter
07-23-13, 01:30
All valid points. It took less than an hour to design, I tried working with facing the same way, but I had to keep it low profile enough for a tucked in shirt, and to allow for fitting a pair of Glock 21 13 round magazines, without coming above the stitching of the back pocket.

I would definitely accept any feedback for a better design, something that works with a suit (slacks), jeans, and casual pants. Getting the symmetry down, being comfortable, and accessible was no easy task. It was a bit difficult to do within the strict dimensions, RCS really took my design and created exactly what I specified.

As mentioned you would really have to try it to appreciate how well it works. I carry my wallet strong side back pocket, and I used to carry a single magazine in the weak side rear pocket. I was ruining a pair of jeans every two months because the magazine would wear a hole in the pants. It's useful in the spring/summer mainly, but when it's cold enough to wear a jacket I use the IWB RCS mag carrier.

HES
07-29-13, 17:10
Well I just dropped my order. Ill let ya know how it works out.
I just got my Kytex mag carriers in. Been wearing them around for a bit and have done multiple draws and so far what I can say is HOLY FRIJOLES. These are great so far. I would seriously consider these if you are looking for holders.

RagweedZulu
07-29-13, 22:55

I train in what I wear (I don't wear tacticool clothes when I train, I wear exactly what you see above so I don't have a false sense of timing), and I can get a shot off fairly reliably in under 1.5s in 7yd.

Dude, you wouldn't last long on the training ranges out here. And I'm in California! Clothes like that make you a target around here. You could maybe pull out your perfume bottle and spritz an attacker in the eyes, but those clothes gotta go bro!

TehLlama
07-29-13, 23:31
Dude, you wouldn't last long on the training ranges out here. And I'm in California! Clothes like that make you a target around here. You could maybe pull out your perfume bottle and spritz an attacker in the eyes, but those clothes gotta go bro!

Sometimes the way to be the grey man is to look like a hipster preppy kid. Somebody shows up to the range dressed like that, I'll admit I'll reach a judgement more quickly, but it's going to be one extreme or the other. One of my friends dresses the exact same way, but he can shoot damn well.

STONE-YARDER
07-29-13, 23:35
Always an extra mag on my side and an extra in the truck. You never know when you will run into a pack of wolves with 4 and 2 legs...

theblackknight
07-30-13, 00:01
Have you considered switching to a Compact or SubCompact with a spare mag instead of carrying a Fullsize without one? Just curious.

I'm trading in the M&P's for Glerks, and getting a 26 for carry(34 for USPSA). I'll do the +2s and maybe a spare when I can, and a flush mag when I need to dress proper.

theblackknight
07-30-13, 00:05

I think you might be a little put off by the pastels on those pants. If you seriously have a adverse reaction to dude no.5's attire, he might not have the problem.

BTW, sweaters like those are the bomb in the winter time for any kind of IWB.

Moose-Knuckle
07-30-13, 00:44
I think you might be a little put off by the pastels on those pants. If you seriously have a adverse reaction to dude no.5's attire, he might not have the problem.

BTW, sweaters like those are the bomb in the winter time for any kind of IWB.

It's not only the colors that are effeminate, its also the cut/fit. I have to shop for pants and shorts with a gusseted crotch as it is, if I desired to fit into pants like those I would have to undergo a sex change.

theblackknight
07-30-13, 01:32
Those look like regular slacks minus the easter egg Don Johnson colors.

StingerDan
07-30-13, 06:51
If I can use my Galco "Jackass rig" (long sleeve only for me), it is made to carry two extra, very comfortable I might add, but to be honest, if I am carrying my Glock 22 IWB I just go 15+1.

yhmspecter
07-31-13, 16:16
Always one extra.

Agreed., when I carry my g19 I carry a g17 mag as my extra. Its about malfunctions for as well.

Steve S.
07-31-13, 20:52
Here's the mag carrier I was talking about - finally got around to getting pics.

I staggered the mags to follow the pelvic line, since its meant to be carried AIWB. For this position, it's extremely comfortable.

I carry a G19, so I run a 17 mag in the front and a 19 mag in the back - making it about even height. Keeps the rear mag from going up to my belly button in height.

It can take some getting use to, but if anyone has problems hiding a spare mag, try the Appendix position.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/01/uqedyvar.jpg

ra2bach
08-01-13, 14:27
Here's the mag carrier I was talking about - finally got around to getting pics.

I staggered the mags to follow the pelvic line, since its meant to be carried AIWB. For this position, it's extremely comfortable.

I carry a G19, so I run a 17 mag in the front and a 19 mag in the back - making it about even height. Keeps the rear mag from going up to my belly button in height.

It can take some getting use to, but if anyone has problems hiding a spare mag, try the Appendix position.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/01/uqedyvar.jpg

nice. staggered mags? huh, where'd you get that idea???

;)

Steve S.
08-01-13, 17:04
nice. staggered mags? huh, where'd you get that idea???

;)

I knew I'd talked with someone about staggered mags awhile back - but couldn't put my finger on who.

Not sure if I'll release it for sale or not - depends how strong an interest there would be for a purpose built AIWB double mag carrier.

If I do, I'd name if after you... if I could figure out a name or acronym related to Ra2bach.... damn near impossible. :-)

Backside pic.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/02/7aqanuru.jpg

Trajan
08-01-13, 17:23
That is awesome Steve. You should start selling them. :cool:

Is it one piece of kydex or two?

I don't understand why someone would carry a gun AIWB, then carry mags at 8 o'clock.

Steve S.
08-01-13, 18:20
That is awesome Steve. You should start selling them. :cool:

Is it one piece of kydex or two?

I don't understand why someone would carry a gun AIWB, then carry mags at 8 o'clock.

Thanks brother. It's one piece, with a tension screw at the rear. You can't see it, but there are several drill holes on top of each mag to allow cant / ride height adjustment.

I didn't think I'd like carrying two mags out front in addition to an AIWB holster - but it works surprisingly well. I can see why the trend is moving towards everything out front.

My fears of tipping over were proven to be unwarranted. :-)

Semper Paratus
08-01-13, 20:09
Two spares on the person whether it is a Glock or 1911. If a revo two speed strips in the pocket

Warp
08-01-13, 21:10
I very rarely carry a spare mag.

I just haven't found a way to comfortably carry a concealed Glock magazine in a T-shirt and shorts, or in business attire (though I don't wear that much these days).

If I do carry a spare mag it's usually either because we are going to a big city/somewhere unfamiliar/somewhere less-ideal than our usual stomping grounds, or I am open carrying and an OWB magazine carried openly is much more comfortable for me.

For concealed carry I am just as likely to take my S&W 642 and stick it in my pocket or on my ankle as I am to carry a spare mag. A BUG solves everything a spare mag does and then some. (at the expense of being fewer rounds in a harder to shoot package of course)

ra2bach
08-03-13, 13:44
I knew I'd talked with someone about staggered mags awhile back - but couldn't put my finger on who.

Not sure if I'll release it for sale or not - depends how strong an interest there would be for a purpose built AIWB double mag carrier.

If I do, I'd name if after you... if I could figure out a name or acronym related to Ra2bach.... damn near impossible. :-)

just funnin' ya, man. ;)

you could leave off my first name and just call it the 2Bach - two mags, slightly offset...

my outside the box thinking sometimes leaves me outside of the room... :lol:

Steve S.
08-03-13, 14:21
just funnin' ya, man. ;)

you could leave off my first name and just call it the 2Bach - two mags, slightly offset...

my outside the box thinking sometimes leaves me outside of the room... :lol:

Not bad. Too bad your name wasn't "2Front" - being appendix and all. ;-)

2 ___ Appendix Carrier - Handgun. Fill in the blank.