PDA

View Full Version : President's Hundred

LRS RGR
07-11-13, 23:46
Just curious as its something I'm interested in eventually competing in. Has anyone here competed in the President'Hundred at Camp Perry?

I'm interested in the pistol match specifically. After going thru the CMP handbook I have a few questions.

Unreconstructed
08-20-13, 22:48
Last edited by Unreconstructed; Today at 23:51

Unreconstructed
08-20-13, 22:53
Here you go...

Join the National Match forum

http://www.usrifleteams.com/

Unreconstructed
08-20-13, 23:21
and...

http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php

SeriousStudent
08-20-13, 23:22
There are several members here that own that tab, and I think one member here served as a team coach.

sinister
08-21-13, 09:15
My friend Sergeant Major Mike Carlin once said shooting pistol is easy. I think he lied. That one-handed stuff is HARD.

Anything hard is worth working towards.

I was a sissy and got mine with a rifle.

http://i43.tinypic.com/205d3ic.jpg

exkc135driver
09-08-13, 00:27
My friend Sergeant Major Mike Carlin once said shooting pistol is easy. I think he lied. That one-handed stuff is HARD.

Anything hard is worth working towards.

I was a sissy and got mine with a rifle.

The first time I went to Perry my service rifle was still being built, so Mike was kind enough to lend me his. I've lost track of him. Say hi for me, willya?

agr1279
09-08-13, 00:38
The first time I went to Perry my service rifle was still being built, so Mike was kind enough to lend me his. I've lost track of him. Say hi for me, willya?

He passed away on March 1, 2009 unexpectedly. It was a massive heart attack. He was TDY in North Carolina at the time. You can google his name and see additional information.

Dan

exkc135driver
09-08-13, 00:58
I was sure that we were talking about two people with the same name, until I read his obituary and saw the name of his partner (girlfriend), who both me and my girlfriend also knew when they lived in Georgia. I am very sorry to learn of his untimely death. Thank you for letting me know.

My apologies for semi-hijacking this thread ...

tostado22
09-08-13, 02:15
I've been wondering the same thing. My current Ops SGM has the tab and I talk to him quite a bit about competition. I've only competed in local CMP matches with my Garand.

TomD
09-08-13, 20:16
IMO, getting the President's Hundred tab is a greater accomplishment than becoming a Distinguished shooter.

ShootinRN
09-08-13, 20:38
I never heard of it until we had an E-7 at battalion ask for volunteers to go to a rifle class back when I was in Korea. I committed a sin by volunteering and was rewarded by a crash course in shooting the lonely M24's our mech battalion never used. Can't remember much about that though, too much soju.

Anyways, I never forgot that patch and would be reminded of it throughout the years when I would see Governor's 100 patches during my time in NG after active.

I believe it is one the the oldest marksmanship awards a person can earn. It's history is pretty neat to learn about and definitely brings one back to an era long gone and I'm glad it still exists as a testament to our country's rich heritage of marksmanship.

I went to Perry this year for the first time and shot in the EIC match. There was I think about 600+ shooters for that and I missed points by 6 spots. I was amazed at how many people were there and to think about what it takes to be really competitive in any of the disciplines is humbling, but the challenge makes you hungry.

Good luck!

taliv
10-03-13, 15:59
IMO, getting the President's Hundred tab is a greater accomplishment than becoming a Distinguished shooter.

not for rifle.

this year, you needed a 471 of 500 (94.2%) to get leg points and a 284 of 300 (94.6%) to make the p100.

So basically you could shoot a 95% in one 30 round match to get a P100 tab. But you need to shoot 95% in a 50 round match 3 years in a row to get Distinguished. (edit: of course you don't actually have to do it in a row, and you don't have to do it all at perry, but perry is usually the easiest place to get points.)

TomD
10-03-13, 20:39
Exactly. You only need one 10 point 'leg' and there are many opportunities to do so. The President's match is only awarded at Perry. How many PH awards do you have?

Javelin
10-03-13, 21:35
I would put the P100 tab above distinguished. If we are talking about the NRA Distinguished marksman badge. I've only shot smallbore 3p NCAA and such and you can get the NRA Distinguished through state and national sanctioned matches (which is how I earned mine many years ago) while the P100 tab can only be received from Perry which is a sucker to shoot and wind dope.... It's where the men and the boys part ways quickly.

taliv
10-04-13, 07:52
Exactly. You only need one 10 point 'leg' and there are many opportunities to do so. The President's match is only awarded at Perry. How many PH awards do you have?

the 10 point leg is irrelevant. if travel to perry is difficult for you, then yes obviously the P100 will be harder to get for you, but that doesn't mean it is more desirable than Distinguished.

I wasn't talking about the NRA program, which is pretty easy.