PDA

View Full Version : My M16A5 Rifle

Iraqgunz
07-12-13, 01:41
I have had this for a while, but never got around to posting it. I was wanting to build a 20" rifle, but didn't necessarily want to use a rifle stock. So I decided to go the A5 route. I also wanted to do something along the lines of the Canadian Army C7A1.

So I compromised. I built a rifle with a flat top upper, and then used the Vltor A5 buffer set up. Here are the details.

1. 20" FN marked barrel w/ Battle Comp.

2. Rifle flat top upper receiver.

3. KAC RIS. (I brought this back from Iraq in '07). I used it on my rifle when I was there.

3. Colt BCG (replaced carrier with the LMT enhanced carrier)

4. BCM MOD 44 Ambi Charging Handle.

5. KAC 2-600 rear BUIS.

6. BCM lower receiver w/ ALG trigger, Magpul trigger guard, Battle Arms 45 selector, Vltor A5 tube with -3 buffer, and BCM Gunfighter grip and B5 SOPMOD stock.

7. Vickers padded combat sling.

8. Tango Down stubby VFG w/ Elite Defense locking mechanism.

This thing shoots super smooth. markm shot it and he couldn't believe how it shot. It's pretty accurate as well. At last I recall I think I was able to get groups that were around 2.5 MOA.

decodeddiesel
07-12-13, 01:53
Pretty cool rifle. Awesome you have have the RIS you used in Iraq on it. I've got the RAS I had on my M4 in Iraq on my MK18 clone.

Any idea on what optics you will use? It screams ACOG to me. :D

kest_01
07-12-13, 02:43
Looks awesome, I too like the 20" barrel if its not for some serious HD work. I'd agree that it needs either an ACOG or an ELCAN Spectre, maybe even something more spendy like a Nightforce, USOptics or a S+B to realize its full potential. But now that I'm thinking about it I'm not talking to some new dude, you were probably already thinking the same.
BTW I also have 1 of the RAS's I used on deployment, just can't figure out how I would want to use it, kinda short for my liking and as of now all my rifles are mid length, might give me an excuse to buy a new upper.

Iraqgunz
07-12-13, 03:24
Strangely enough I am talking to someone about that now. I have my ACOG from Iraq as well (private purchase) and I use it on my SBR upper (11.5").

I was thinking about an ACOG for this or the Trijicon Accupoint. Or maybe something more magnified.....for now I am rocking the irons.

Pretty cool rifle. Awesome you have have the RIS you used in Iraq on it. I've got the RAS I had on my M4 in Iraq on my MK18 clone.

Any idea on what optics you will use? It screams ACOG to me. :D

kest_01
07-12-13, 03:29
Can't really go wrong with irons.

RMiller
07-12-13, 08:17
Good, tasteful, and quality build.

Some sort of magnified optic would compliment it well.

Alex F
07-12-13, 08:26
Definitely throw the ACOG on it!

Very very nice.

Hill_Country556
12-24-14, 12:01
BCM A4 Mod 1.. Ditched the fixed stock for the A5 tube and a B5 Bravo Stock. Great general-purpose setup!

I'd like to try a Sprinco someday, especially since I can just drive across town and get one straight from them. Mine has the standard M16 spring, A2 flash hider and standard weight A5H2 buffer.

I loved the fixed stock at first but I don't miss it a bit now..30597

Iraqgunz
12-24-14, 13:20
I would consider the H3 or H4. I definitely recommend the green spring.

BCM A4 Mod 1.. Ditched the fixed stock for the A5 tube and a B5 Bravo Stock. Great general-purpose setup!

I'd like to try a Sprinco someday, especially since I can just drive across town and get one straight from them. Mine has the standard M16 spring, A2 flash hider and standard weight A5H2 buffer.

I loved the fixed stock at first but I don't miss it a bit now..30597

HKGuns
12-24-14, 14:08
IG, where did you get the 20" FN barrel?

Hill_Country556
12-25-14, 10:26
I would consider the H3 or H4. I definitely recommend the green spring.

Spoke with Alan @ Sprinco yesterday. Going to pick up a couple Green Springs tomorrow.

Regarding the buffer: I have an extra H2 laying around. Pushed the roll pin out. Any advice on how to get the plastic tip out? It's IN THERE!!

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

Hill_Country556
12-25-14, 11:33
Got it. The plastic tip from the A5 buffer came out much easier than the one from the H2 did.

Switched one tungsten weight from my H2 for one steel from the A5, so I have a homemade A5H3. I also have a brand new M16A1 flash hider from SAW that I am thinking of putting on in place of the A2.

HeavyDuty
12-25-14, 12:39
I built a "M16A5" type 20" a few months ago, it's a great configuration. I'm running a CH right now but am giving serious thought to adding an ACOG.

masakari
12-25-14, 14:26
I want to see one of these with a Daniel Defense LITE III 12" rail.

BrigandTwoFour
12-25-14, 15:01
I built a "M16A5" type 20" a few months ago, it's a great configuration. I'm running a CH right now but am giving serious thought to adding an ACOG.

I did the same. But I went from CH to a TR24 I had laying around. I've been going back and forth between wanting a TA11 or an Elcan SpecterOS 4x in the spring. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the Elcan right now, though. I think either is a pretty perfect optic for such a rifle.

dentron
12-25-14, 19:24
I want to see one of these with a Daniel Defense LITE III 12" rail.
The lite 3 is the bees knees

And that's a slick rifle man. I've been thinking of a 20" bcm upper and I am not a fan of fixed stocks, so I would definitely be looking at something like this. Thanks for sharing.

Iraqgunz
12-26-14, 00:27
It's one of those rare things that pop up now and again. Next time I see one, I will ping you. They are out there, just kind of in hiding.

IG, where did you get the 20" FN barrel?

markm
12-26-14, 07:45
I remember that M5 RAS. I ran that very Hand guard as a loaner on one of my muskets a few years back.