PDA

View Full Version : Truck gun? (AR)

JulyAZ
07-12-13, 10:25
My first post

I have many friends inside the firearm community, and a rising trend that Ive noticed, is folks carrying a "truck gun" a AR they keep inside they're vehicle at all times.

Now I have my EDC pistol that I carry on my persons at all times, but I'm curious to know how many people carrying a AR or any other defensive type rifles at all times. (For other than Official duty us)

I'm warming up to the idea but would love to hear if you do and why.

Ryno12
07-12-13, 10:39
Do a search on "truck gun", titles only. Plenty of results popped up.

Sent via Tapatalk

markm
07-12-13, 10:47
I struggle with this one because of the concern of it getting ripped off.

And I'm not one to throw a friggin Mini 14 or some junk in there. :confused:

JulyAZ
07-12-13, 10:52
Do a search on "truck gun", titles only. Plenty of results popped up.

Sent via Tapatalk

I did and none of them addressed my concerns directly, they had some answers but also jumped around the topic

Sent from my Mil Spec iPhone.

Turnkey11
07-12-13, 10:54
I like having a rifle nearby when Im away from home, where I always have a rifle nearby. Sucks on work days though, no guns on fed property including the parking lot...:(

crusader377
07-12-13, 10:56
I don't have a truck gun and likewise would have concerns about it being stolen. Also, where I live (outer suburb) I have never really seen a need for a truck gun and if I wanted a more capable weapon than my CCW M&P shield, I would simply carry a more capable pistol like a full size M&P, Glock 19, etc.. with 2 spare magazines which is still very concealable.

That said, I think a S&W M&P 15 sport which sells for around $600 would be a great truck gun which offers an excellent combination between affordability and performance

midSCarolina
07-12-13, 11:05
I have no doubt that I can't handle any situation that would occur with my handgun. I think that conceal carrying an AR is unnecessary and slightly absurd. Handgun... extra magazine or two. Remember that if you use your defensive carry weapon, it is possible that you will have to defend yourself in court. Pulling out an AR to defend yourself will just be one more thing for the prosecution to bitch about. Just my honest opinion... be reasonable.

Turnkey11
07-12-13, 11:15
It might be unreasonable where you live, but I am surrounded by pasture and fields. My threat comes in the 4 legged variety of various sizes and intents, I don't worry about 2 legged critters unless going to those big cities with more than 10k people. We don't conceal our rifles here either, at most it may go in the backseat but I get around a lot just like this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/Guns/IMG_20130228_161131_817_zpsa8926533.jpg

ScatmanCrothers
07-12-13, 11:17
Theft and the effects of long term exposure to stagnant heat on the rifle itself and ammo are both big concerns of mine seeing as how i'm in the Macon/Bham/Memphis areas for work. I'll take one along with me for trips but for driving short distances where i'll be parked with the windows up the majority of the time I leave it at the house/hotel. Hotels worry me enough, but I can at least hold them accountable if something goes missing under the right circumstances.

SteveL
07-12-13, 11:17
I struggle with this one because of the concern of it getting ripped off.

And I'm not one to throw a friggin Mini 14 or some junk in there. :confused:

You're telling me you're not sportin' an SKS in a gun rack on the rear window of your truck???

Seriously though, I'd be afraid of having one stolen also.

rickmy
07-12-13, 11:45
I've responded to 100+ burglary of vehicle calls while working patrol and it always sucked when a firearm was stolen as I knew one more shithead was armed. It sucks worse if its a long gun as patrol Officers only wear soft body armor. If you are going to keep a gun in the car it needs to be secured in some way other than behind a vehicle window. Most BOVs are smash and grab-lasting under 10 seconds, but I've also seen a crook take apart a door, remove the dash, reconnect the trunk release and steal all of one of our SWAT guys stuff from the trunk. (2 full auto's, 2 handguns, sbs, plates, etc...)

dash1
07-12-13, 11:49
Sucks on work days though, no guns on fed property including the parking lot...:(

You're not just whistling Dixie!

No guns on post, leaves you a out there flapping in the breeze, to and from work.

Ostdarva
07-12-13, 11:51
I always carry my AR in my truck to and from my farm.

markm
07-12-13, 11:58
I have no doubt that I can't handle any situation that would occur with my handgun. I think that conceal carrying an AR is unnecessary and slightly absurd.

You must never have seen the L.A. Bank of America Robbery/Shootout.

Seems to me Dozens of guys with their handguns were a little back of book in that scenario.

RickyK
07-12-13, 13:05
I travel for my work and if I feel the circumstances warrant it I put my AR in my truck. I don't worry about it so much when my truck is in a customers parking lot but other places I do. I won't leave it outside when staying at a hotel and I wont leave it at a hotel during the day, so I end up carrying it back and forth a lot. I've been thinking about getting something cheap that I wouldn't care as much if it wound up stolen or dinged up, not that I still wouldn't care if was stolen. I feel in most instances I can get out of a situation with my handgun but where it concerns me most is being trapped somewhere, Hotel/Motel, during some type of unrest and not having the firepower to get out, or to hold my ground.

ThreeLeafPayback
07-12-13, 13:36
My first post

I have many friends inside the firearm community, and a rising trend that Ive noticed, is folks carrying a "truck gun" a AR they keep inside they're vehicle at all times.

Now I have my EDC pistol that I carry on my persons at all times, but I'm curious to know how many people carrying a AR or any other defensive type rifles at all times. (For other than Official duty us)

I'm warming up to the idea but would love to hear if you do and why.

I used to keep an AR in my truck and kept it locked down and out of sight. I re-thought the theft aspect of tossing a bad guy a valuable working weapon + ammo. Not smart.
Now I use a Chinese T53 carbine that was cheap, looks like shit but shoots great and I keep the bolt separate from the rifle in a well hidden place that I can get to in a hurry. I figure if the rifle gets stolen the bolt isn't something an average gun store will have in stock and the ammo is also harder to find in my area of the country.
I always have my carry piece with me but I like having a plan B.

VIP3R 237
07-12-13, 13:45
In town? No way, fear of loss is not worth it to me. However in the country or up at my cabin I usually throw my 6920 in just in case i see a coyote or something as i'm driving along.

jwperry
07-12-13, 13:49
Why a truck/trunk gun?
Jeff Cooper and his motto of a pistol is only good to fight you back to a rifle.

However you feel about this doctrine really dictates whether you keep a gun there or not.

weggy
07-12-13, 13:55
No truck rifle for me, too hard to get to, too big a package to be useful in a truck. I'll stick with my G-21.

PatrioticDisorder
07-12-13, 13:59
It might be unreasonable where you live, but I am surrounded by pasture and fields. My threat comes in the 4 legged variety of various sizes and intents, I don't worry about 2 legged critters unless going to those big cities with more than 10k people. We don't conceal our rifles here either, at most it may go in the backseat but I get around a lot just like this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/Guns/IMG_20130228_161131_817_zpsa8926533.jpg

So you have a supressed SBR SCAR 16s as your truck gun? I like! :smile:

But as others have said, I'd be afraid of that being stolen, especially as it's 2 NFA items, plus not cheap to boot.

Iraqgunz
07-12-13, 14:22
Been discussed numerous time and ways.