PDA

View Full Version : Magpul STR vs ACS-L

mpom
07-12-13, 11:40
Reviewing an older thread, noticed some folks did not care for cheek weld of ACS-L after running an ACS.
I am running an ACS and deciding between an ACS-L which is narrower or the STR which is closer/same as the ACS. I feel the ACS is a little too wide, so the STR does not seen like a change for the better but the ACS-L might be. Storage is not a concern but good cheekweld is. Carbine is 16" midlength used for HD and 3G competition, optics alternating between a T1 and 1X4 scope. Just wondered what the Collective thinks.

Thanks,
Mark

Bushytale
07-12-13, 14:44
The ACS cheek weld feels to wide for me. I like a more vertical head position for RDS and low power scopes. I just replaced an ACS with the ACS-L on my 308 with 1-4. The L allows me to keep my head more upright like a UBR or CTR. The L is longer than the STR and CTR and keeps my mustache out of the rec ext/stock interface which occasionally gets pulled :eek: by shorter stocks..

VIP3R 237
07-12-13, 14:52
STR is probably the best overall stock on the market. I personally would buy a B5 Bravo over the ACS-L. Same cheek weld, considerably less $.

mpom
07-12-13, 14:53
Exactly the kind of feedback i need, bushy tale.
Saving a few dollars is not my main focus, tho its welcomed, vip. why do you think the the b5 bravo is superior to acs-l? Have you looked at the enhanced b5 and then chose the b5 bravo?
Thanks.

Shao
07-12-13, 15:28
ACS-L +100 - I bought a STR first and couldn't stand it. It threw the ergos of my rifle all off. I would get a neck crick from extended shooting sessions using it. It just feels like crap to me.

VIP3R 237
07-12-13, 15:31
exactly the kind of feedback i need, bushy tale.
saving a few dollars is not my main focus, tho its welcomed. why do you think the the enhanced b5 is superior to acs-l? thought the b5 was wider than acs-l, could be wrong.
Thanks.

ACS-L is 2.270 wide, B5 Bravo is 2.125 according to my dial calipers.

The Bravo is lighter, and has rotation limited QD sockets on both sides vs the ACS-L is only on one.

mpom
07-12-13, 16:31
VIP: did you consider the B5 Enhanced? Wonder how it compares to Bravo in cheek weld. Wonder if the battery tubes make it as wide as ACS. I realize its 2 ounces heavier, but still lighter than ACS-L. My concern with STR is the width, which I suspect is very similar to ACS. I do like the non rotational QD on the B5 models over the Magpuls. One sided is OK as I run the rear sling attachment on the right only.
Thanks

VIP3R 237
07-12-13, 17:53
VIP: did you consider the B5 Enhanced? Wonder how it compares to Bravo in cheek weld. Wonder if the battery tubes make it as wide as ACS. I realize its 2 ounces heavier, but still lighter than ACS-L. My concern with STR is the width, which I suspect is very similar to ACS. I do like the non rotational QD on the B5 models over the Magpuls. One sided is OK as I run the rear sling attachment on the right only.
Thanks

My SR15 has a LMT SOPMOD on it, which dimensionally is the same as the B5 version, I just do not see a need for the battery storage in the stock vs the grip. I think the Bravo is about as perfect as a stock as there is out there. Jason Falla of RB1 says the same.

mpom
07-12-13, 18:29
Sounds like the feel of the 2 B5s is very similar.
Thank you, sir.

Mark

Shao
07-12-13, 18:34
I thought this was a contest between the STR and ACS-L. The B5 Bravo gets my vote as well. Plus, they're just so darn cheap that it's hard not to end up with extras.

mpom
07-13-13, 17:05
Based on feed back I was leaning towards the ACS-L, but VIP's comments are leading me to consider the Bravo by B5. More reading to do.

Skyyr
07-13-13, 17:21
I thought this was a contest between the STR and ACS-L. The B5 Bravo gets my vote as well. Plus, they're just so darn cheap that it's hard not to end up with extras.

Why don't you tell us how many you have, followed by the number of bolt carriers you've recently purchased?