PDA

View Full Version : Wet damp pistol choices

p7fl
07-12-13, 14:30
First, the obligatory I have done a search and not found what I’m looking for.
I’m in a new house in sunny sweaty south Florida. A lot of my Saturdays are projects like washing the car, fixing the sprinkler etc. While I live in a great area, it has a lot of people cutting thru and many neighbors and visitors out walking etc.
I feel it is better to have a pistol in my shorts pocket. I own a few Seecamps from the day,and a Ruger LCR in 22 that is a very light enjoyable plinker.
Assuming the LCR would be a 38, would there be difference in reliability between a semi auto and a revolver.
Or, am I looking at the wrong issue and it is an ammo not weapon question.
TIA
jon

Shao
07-12-13, 14:42
Get a TIKI-T and properly sealed and crimped ammo. That should do it.

Grand58742
07-12-13, 17:02
I feel it is better to have a pistol in my shorts pocket. I own a few Seecamps from the day,and a Ruger LCR in 22 that is a very light enjoyable plinker.
Assuming the LCR would be a 38, would there be difference in reliability between a semi auto and a revolver.
Or, am I looking at the wrong issue and it is an ammo not weapon question.
TIA
jon

Revolvers are generally stupid proof and typically go bang when you pull the trigger. As for reliability of a particular model, only you can make that determination after firing it for training and proficiency. If you don't get out and practice with it, how will you ever know if it is or is not reliable? Don't trust someone else to tell you, find out for yourself.

As for the dampness, as Shao stated, properly sealed ammo from a reputable manufacturer should be okay in damp conditions. Having said that, it's never a bad idea to rotate your carry ammo every three to six months in those particular environments just in case. Also, regular cleanings and oiling will help keep corrosion in check.

AKDoug
07-13-13, 01:36
Ammo is extremely resilient to moisture. I have literally picked up dozens of rounds of ammo that has set in puddles for weeks and it still fired. As for handguns and wet, I have trained and carried guns in weather wet enough that you couldn't get more soaked if you went swimming, and they have worked fine. Just keep up on the lube and maintenance.

Psalms144.1
07-13-13, 08:26
Jon - I'm recently escaped from the 90 degree, 90% humidity every day life of south FL. I found that, realistically, what I carried was about weight and width. For "small" guns, I have a 642, 340 M&P, Kahr PM9, and G26. Of those options, I nearly always found myself with my PM9 in the waistband of my shorts, or in the front pocket.

For me, I found that the PM9 was just more comfortable for long-term carry, and I know for a fact that, no matter how much I train with my round guns, I shoot the little PM9 significantly faster and more accurately than the J-frames. Then there's the fact that the PM9 easily carries 7+1, has reloads that don't need to be timed with a sun dial, and has the ability to wear decent night sights without major surgery.

Not saying the PM9 is the only option, I think the S&W Shield would do just a well (if not better), and others of the ilk would be suitable substitutes.

WRT ammo, I think modern ammo is about as weather-proof as it's possible to get, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Regards,

Kevin

MAUSER202
07-13-13, 21:17
I always carry a nickle plated S&W air weight 442 when mountain biking. Light, concealable, and sweat resistant.

p7fl
07-14-13, 14:43
If everyone agrees that there is no reliability difference between an well maintained damp semi and a revolver..then I'll stay with the LWSeecamp which I already have.
Weight is 13.2 oz and I am comfortable with the guns limitations.
thanks for the help
jon

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-14-13, 17:40
I don't agree that autoloaders are as reliable as a revolver. I moved from 20 years ago not being caught dead with a revolver to learning, after thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars that it pretty much is the best you can do when it comes to reliability. I have had two PM9s. For years I was a huge proponent of the Pm9 (and it is still my favorite pocket auto) but they were nowhere near as trustworthy as a revolver. I would say that they were pretty reliable once you found a load it liked. I think mine worked with 124 grain gold dots.

That being said, a revolver is much more difficult to master than a Pm9. The Pm9 is a very easy gun to shoot well.

SPDGG
07-14-13, 18:01
Hard to beat a S&W 642 for your around the house/yard needs. Add a speed strip or two & I'd say your GTG.

Jmacken37
07-14-13, 18:06
My PM9 has been highly reliable with a wide range of ball and duty ammo. It is surprisingly accurate for a pocket pistola. I'd get a CM9 if I were to do it again.

Plumber237
07-15-13, 09:44
If you've already got a .22 LCR I'd go with the same in .38spl. That's what I carry during the summer months (IWB holster, not pocket though) the Hogue grips that they come with work very well with wet or sweaty hands. Combo that with quality ammo from a good manufacturer, as others have said.

PatrioticDisorder
07-15-13, 12:01
My PM9 has been highly reliable with a wide range of ball and duty ammo. It is surprisingly accurate for a pocket pistola. I'd get a CM9 if I were to do it again.

I had a CM40, got rid of it after the first range session. It is the only gun I've ever owned I would describe as a piece of shit. 4 failures to feed in the first 100 rounds, destroyed the CT laserguard it had on it, the follower on 1 of the 2 mags I had broke and tore the shit out of my trigger finger. I replaced it with a Shield 40 and couldn't be happier.

SpyderMan2k4
07-15-13, 12:12
Regarding kahrs,

I recently picked up a CM9 (replaced my LCP for pocket carry, i personally like the flatness of a pistol over a revolver in a pocket). It was insanely tight out of the box. I did a bit of "preshooting care" recommended on kahrtalk to remove a lot of thr burs and smooth it out before shooting, as well as dealing with some of the follower issues. It has been 100% reliable through 250 rounds. For these little guns, thats a great start.

i cant really comment on reliability in dampness, however there was a recommended lube diagram on kahrtalk and for most areas they recommended grease, which would certainly hold up to water better than just oil.

Jmacken37
07-15-13, 12:24
I had a CM40, got rid of it after the first range session. It is the only gun I've ever owned I would describe as a piece of shit. 4 failures to feed in the first 100 rounds, destroyed the CT laserguard it had on it, the follower on 1 of the 2 mags I had broke and tore the shit out of my trigger finger. I replaced it with a Shield 40 and couldn't be happier.

You did read in your manual how Kahr recommends a 250 round "break in" period, right?

.40 is a rough round, especially in these little guns. 9mm is where it is at for me in a pocket gun.

PatrioticDisorder
07-15-13, 13:34
You did read in your manual how Kahr recommends a 250 round "break in" period, right?

.40 is a rough round, especially in these little guns. 9mm is where it is at for me in a pocket gun.

Any gun that requires a "250 round break in period" I will pass on, and i have no issues with .40 being snappy in my Shield, nor do I tear the skin off my trigger finger shooting it.

Regarding the break in period, I've read others accounts that have put 1,000 rounds through the Kahr and still had issues. That's a lot of time and money to find out a gun is unreliable. Maybe I'm spoiled with Glock & M&P out of the box reliability, but that's how I feel.

SpyderMan2k4
07-15-13, 16:04
The shield is an awesome little pistol. If it works for you, then rock on. I do disagree about a break in period. Most small guns need it, most tight guns need it, small tight guns pretty much assuredly need it.

PatrioticDisorder
07-15-13, 16:10
The shield is an awesome little pistol. If it works for you, then rock on. I do disagree about a break in period. Most small guns need it, most tight guns need it, small tight guns pretty much assuredly need it.

True, but for me even if the gun was 100% out of the box, I still would have traded it in (I traded it in straight from my range session, for a significant loss). I've never had a gun that actually took skin (a lot) off of my trigger finger, that was a new experience for me. I'm sure the PM/CM9's are more controllable than the .40 though.

MiamiCracker
07-15-13, 17:06
I live in South Fl and I carry a G26. But if you do alot of yard work I would go for a Shield, I want to get one myself and is most likely easier to conceal than the G26.

07-16-13, 08:17
What ever you end up carrying if it is exposed to salt/humidity you will need to wipe it down and re-lube regularly.
I recall reading a book about SEALS that they carried stainless S&W M66's for a while. After every sea water swim they had to be flushed with fresh water and lubricated.

p7fl
07-16-13, 11:34
exposed to salt/humidity you will need to wipe it down and re-lube .
Agreed. This is where my 15 year old ultrasonic really shines. It was expensive when new, but, like buying a high quality weapon the value proves out.