PDA

View Full Version : NSR/URX3.1 pros and cons?

Jaysop
07-12-13, 19:18
I'm considering swapping my DD RISII for something lighter.
I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the Noveske NSR or KAC URX3.1. Searching the forum and other google results I haven't found very much info on eaither other than that people like them both.

The NSR seems like it would be nice and light, possibly to narrow but I think the plastic panels would fix that. I like that I also would have the option to have an anti roto feature. I also like the price and tool costs. And being that the key mod thing seems to be catching on is nice.
What I don't like are proprietary pieces. Cost and lack of selection of things like mounts and hand guards. It also doesn't seem as solid as my RISII. It also seems like it would get bulky and create snag points if I were to add a railed section to mount my light in my preferred method. I don't want my hand to have to crunch in to activate it if you get what I mean.

The URX seems like its much more solid and less likely to flex and throw off my irons. I like the built in QD sockets. I also like the way the railed section smoothly flow into the slick sections. It overall looks much more ergonomic.
What I don't like is how small the barrel nut seems to be, the lack of an anti roto feature and obviously the cost of the tool. I feel like with the lay out of the railed sections built in, proprietary things like the rail panels are minimal initial investment.

What I really want out of a rail is light weight modularity and most importantly rugged and solid. I want to be able to beat the hell out of the rifle and not worry about the rail.

So I'm hoping someone will be able to pass on some hands on experiences with either with some critical flaws if either have any.

If it matters, it would be mounted on a VLTOR MUR1a upper.
Thanks

jwperry
07-12-13, 20:22
I've never handled the RIS II or the NSR; but currently own the URX 3.1 and have owned Centurion rails, Midwest Industries rails, Troy rails and Daniel Defense rails.

I like the URX series of rails. For my purposes it is everything I want. When you've added a few of the extra screws into it(either via heat shield panels or just to add them) the rail is incredibly strong.

If I was only going to have one rail, I would have someone else install it. I've done three installs and it has taken me 3 installs to learn how to do it right the first time. Expensive lessons..

Jaysop
07-14-13, 09:39
I've never handled the RIS II or the NSR; but currently own the URX 3.1 and have owned Centurion rails, Midwest Industries rails, Troy rails and Daniel Defense rails.

I like the URX series of rails. For my purposes it is everything I want. When you've added a few of the extra screws into it(either via heat shield panels or just to add them) the rail is incredibly strong.

If I was only going to have one rail, I would have someone else install it. I've done three installs and it has taken me 3 installs to learn how to do it right the first time. Expensive lessons..

Thanks for the response!
What do you mean by having someone else install it? Is it just not worth trying on your own? I wish the tool wasn't so costly. I think they'd sell more rails that way.

mikeith
07-14-13, 12:42
I've had nsr and risii, handled many urx's... Of those three I like the urx the best. With that said my personal opinion is that the geiselle mkiv feels better than the urx3.1 I'm not sure if its lighter but I would think so. Also joint force enterprises just made some brackets for mounting urx 3-3.1 rails on the mkiv (I believe this will be my next setup)

kwelz
07-14-13, 13:38
I own both. I have a 14.5 Noveske with the 13.5 NSR and a 14.5 DD with a 13.5 URX 3.1. I can post comparison photos later but here are my findings.

The NSR is lighter for sure. However we are not talking a huge difference here. If you really have to shave off those last few ounces then go with the NSR. But in every day life you aren't going to notice a difference.

The URX is about the right diameter without having to add panels too it. NSR can feel a little thin.

Key mod allows for a lot of flexibility in accessories. You can add anything anywhere. But for me the only thing I need is a Sling point and a place to put a light.

In reference to the above. The URX leaves a small bit of rail at the front and back. Perfect or adding said light mount.

In addition the URX has built in QD points. At least 6 that I can think off off the top of my head. I had to drill out a 1/2 inch hole in my NSR to add a QD point for my sling. I know they sell the QD point but I wanted something inside the rail.

Head dissipation seems slightly better in the URX. However with the panels on the NSR it is about the same

Finally is mounting. Both are rock solid. However I prefer the Noveske system by far. It does not require special tools and is rock solid. You gave a barrel nut with 6 set screws holding it in place.

The URX is also solid. However you need a relatively expensive special tool. The rail itself threads onto the receiver and then is locked in place by a second lock nut that locks against the receiver. This causes a couple issues. First you need an expensive proprietary wrench. Secondly you can not use a normal clamshell style receiver block. This meant I had to get creative. Ad finally fine tweaking of the rail/receiver alignment is difficult.

In conclusion I love them both. Besides installation I put them equal in quality and utility. While installation is a pain. Once they are installed you are done so it shouldn't matter.

I will post photos later.

trauma
07-15-13, 00:29
I've got them both, can't lose either way really. I like how small the NSR is but if you made me pick, I'd take the URX.

KAC gets the bulk of my money, I have bought 4 SR15's and I'm building a Christmas cheer as I type this...

jwperry
07-15-13, 05:32
Thanks for the response!
What do you mean by having someone else install it? Is it just not worth trying on your own? I wish the tool wasn't so costly. I think they'd sell more rails that way.

Because you need more than just the crowfoot to install the rail properly.
Assuming you don't have the tools(I didn't) you need a rail clamp to keep the upper/rail inline while torquing. I also needed to buy a 1/2" drive torque wrench(my previous one was 3/8). I also had to buy a propane torch to remove a failed install(chewed up barrel nut)
In all, I spent about $400 in extra tool expenses, but did so knowing I wanted more than one of these rails installed.

That's why, if I was going to only have 1 rail I'd let someone else install it and save myself the extra expense.

mtdawg169
07-15-13, 13:54
Because you need more than just the crowfoot to install the rail properly.
Assuming you don't have the tools(I didn't) you need a rail clamp to keep the upper/rail inline while torquing. I also needed to buy a 1/2" drive torque wrench(my previous one was 3/8). I also had to buy a propane torch to remove a failed install(chewed up barrel nut)
In all, I spent about $400 in extra tool expenses, but did so knowing I wanted more than one of these rails installed.

That's why, if I was going to only have 1 rail I'd let someone else install it and save myself the extra expense.

Excellent points. The URX is a great rail, but it needs to be installed correctly and can easily be done wrong. I'd highly recommend Ayan at boltcarrier.com for any URX work. Alot of guys have bought the URX wrench and improvised a vice, with mixed results. Unless you're planning on doing several URX installs, I don't think it's worth investing in the tools to do it right. Just buy the rail from Ayan and let him take care of it for you.

jbo723
07-15-13, 14:24
I've got them both, can't lose either way really. I like how small the NSR is but if you made me pick, I'd take the URX.

KAC gets the bulk of my money, I have bought 4 SR15's and I'm building a Christmas cheer as I type this...

Pretty much mimics my feeling and current situation.

hjmpanzr
07-16-13, 08:23
I've had both and sold the noveske. It was a bit thin but I really detest rails without QD slots.
I bought the KAC tools when I realized I only had URX 3 / 3.1s (with exception of my MRPs) and I moved away from VA Arms as Robb Jensen put together everything that didn't come with a URX from the factory.

Tzook
07-16-13, 15:38
I've had a bit of time on the URX, and I think it's the best rail on the market. However, the tool issue is a major problem for me, and that's the only reason I don't have one.

I'd go with the Noveske.