PDA

View Full Version : Completing a build started before I knew better

websniper
07-12-13, 20:40
So, I'm trying to complete a build I started long before I got on M4C and knew any better.

The lower I had built consisted of a Stag stripped lower and possibly a Stag LPK (it's been so long, I don't remember).

I topped it off with a 16" BCM BFH lightweight mid-length factory upper, BCM BCG and CH. I completed the upper with some standard fat M4 style middy handguards.

Would you all be comfortable with this oddball combo? Realistically, how much of a chink in the armor is the Stag lower?

Some other areas I'm looking for feedback on are the the stock/receiver extension, and hand guards.

I'm pretty sure this furniture is from CavArms and i measured the RE and it is commercial. I'm planning to replace the tube, spring and carbine buffer with a mil-spec RE, spring and probably H buffer. I'm undecided on a Magpul MOE, CTR, or B5 Sopmod for a stock

I like the KISS aspect of the basic handguards, but I'm also tossing around getting the Magpul MOE handguards straight from IWC with their low pro QD mount.

I like my lights fairly simple so I'll probably toss a Surefire G2 with a Z32 bezel and a Malkoff module on the gun. Light mount undecided until I make a decision on the handguards.

I'm looking to keep this build light/simple. I'm kicking around either an Aimpoint Micro (funds permitting) or just running irons with tritium inserts. Another option that's on the table is that I have an Aimpoint Comp ML I picked up used with some other gear. I just need a mount for that if I decide to use it.

Last but not least will most likely be a VCAS sling.

I feel like I'm heading in the right direction with this thing and will probably dump the RRA I bought ages ago to fund the Aimoint and mount or some more ammo and make this build my go to rifle.

Safetyhit
07-12-13, 20:45
Personally I wouldn't sweat the Stag lower in the least unless you perceive issues through usage, the rest of your ideas seem solid regarding the MOE, the Aimpoint and the sling.

lunchbox
07-12-13, 20:51
Shoot it, and let that tell you what to upgrade as far as comfort. The mil-spec buffer tube, I think is a must (it is stronger). As far lower I wouldn't worry unless gives you a reason(mags will not drop/pins tight/etc.). So shoot it and have fun bro..

websniper
07-12-13, 21:17
Yeah I recently started buying my first PMags(at reasonable prices I might add) and found that the M3's don't drop free from the RRA lower, but are fine in the lower on this gun. M2's work in them all, however.

High Tower
07-12-13, 22:01
Unless you've found a reason to be suspicious of the Stag lower I wouldn't worry much.

I think the MOE handguards would be a good upgrade especially if you want a decent method to mount a light at some point.

And I would trade the RRA for an Aimpoint in a heartbeat.

RMiller
07-12-13, 22:04
I wouldn't sweat much except the reciever extension. Once you swap it over make sure to stake that nut. Out of those stocks I'd recommend the B5 for the better cheek weld. That's just one mans opinion.

If you're interested in some MOE handguards I might have some. I'll send a PM.

weggy
07-12-13, 22:15
So, I'm trying to complete a build I started long before I got on M4C and knew any better.

The lower I had built consisted of a Stag stripped lower and possibly a Stag LPK (it's been so long, I don't remember).

I topped it off with a 16" BCM BFH lightweight mid-length factory upper, BCM BCG and CH. I completed the upper with some standard fat M4 style middy handguards.

Would you all be comfortable with this oddball combo? Realistically, how much of a chink in the armor is the Stag lower?

Some other areas I'm looking for feedback on are the the stock/receiver extension, and hand guards.

I'm pretty sure this furniture is from CavArms and i measured the RE and it is commercial. I'm planning to replace the tube, spring and carbine buffer with a mil-spec RE, spring and probably H buffer. I'm undecided on a Magpul MOE, CTR, or B5 Sopmod for a stock

I like the KISS aspect of the basic handguards, but I'm also tossing around getting the Magpul MOE handguards straight from IWC with their low pro QD mount.

I like my lights fairly simple so I'll probably toss a Surefire G2 with a Z32 bezel and a Malkoff module on the gun. Light mount undecided until I make a decision on the handguards.

I'm looking to keep this build light/simple. I'm kicking around either an Aimpoint Micro (funds permitting) or just running irons with tritium inserts. Another option that's on the table is that I have an Aimpoint Comp ML I picked up used with some other gear. I just need a mount for that if I decide to use it.

Last but not least will most likely be a VCAS sling.

I feel like I'm heading in the right direction with this thing and will probably dump the RRA I bought ages ago to fund the Aimoint and mount or some more ammo and make this build my go to rifle.

Here's what I've got so far:
Stag lower is GTG:p

Zane1844
07-12-13, 22:25
If its in spec shoot it,and forget it.

STONE-YARDER
07-13-13, 00:17
Except for that 55 gallon drum you have attached as a forend you should be GTG. http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG418/184
http://damageusa.com/product/1913-rail-handguard-m4-carbine

Iraqgunz
07-13-13, 01:09
This isn't really a Custom Build. As for the Stag Arms lower I wouldn't be very concerned. Shoot the gun and report back.

AFshirt
07-13-13, 03:53
With the exception of those giant handguards and buffer (mine is H3), I have the same gun, Stag lower, BCM upper. Been my main civilian rifle for years, thousands of rounds fired. Other than some mag related issues a few years ago with dirty green follower GI mags no problems. Shoots Tula, Wolf, m193, m855, all my reloads with no issues. Now that I have a DD SBR it will probably get used a little less.

whick1
07-13-13, 07:57
I have a Stag lower that I SBRed a couple years ago and matched it with a LMT 10.5" upper. The Stag lower has functioned as it should. It also has a pretty good stock trigger. I would trade out the Cav Arms furniture and replace with Magpul MOE handguard and a Magpul CTR or STR if you need storage or the B5 Sopmod. The B5 Bravo does not have storage but can be had for less than $60 and is an excellent stock. I would get a stock with a QD attachment point this makes for more and easier optipond for attaching sling/. For sling it is hard to go wrong with a VCAS I have the padded model with the QDs sewn in that I got from Grant last year.

As for light I would get a section of the Magpul rail, once I had the MOE handguard and get this attachment. Very sturdy, inexpensive and easily accessible
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Viking-Tactics-Light-Mount-BLACK-p/vtac-mk4-blk.htm

Col_Crocs
07-13-13, 09:37
Like everyone says, the lower is fine. Personally, i prefer the moe handguard to the standard m4 ones. I recently got to shoot both on friends' carbines And the moe felt much better, ergonomically speaking. As for your optic, I would go and get a mount for that aimpoint you already have. Lastly, since you're switching out the whole RE set, you might want to look at just getting an A5.

glock30_27
07-13-13, 10:24
Stop looking at the picture threads and spend that money on a good optic and ammo and ammo and some more ammo. (also I do think a moe handguard would be helpful for you.

PatrioticDisorder
07-13-13, 10:28
Except for that 55 gallon drum you have attached as a forend you should be GTG. http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG418/184
http://damageusa.com/product/1913-rail-handguard-m4-carbine

:haha:

Ya I thought the same thing, but that 55 gallon drum he has doesn't effect function, if the OP likes it then why not keep it? Although looking at it did give me a good laugh this morning.

weez440
07-13-13, 10:48
I have pretty much the same setup, bcm upper and I built a lower with a stag stripper lower receiver and I haven't had any problems. just go out and shoot the hell out of it and have fun.

websniper
07-13-13, 12:37
It doesn't feel that bad! Really! I also already have a spare Viking Tactics light mount laying around. I like the one I have on my "other" rifle with it mounted at 12:00 and I activate the switch with my offhand thumb. The only thing about the MOE is that you do not seem to be able to attach a section of rail at the 12:00 position so that I can run that light mount the way I am accustomed to. Please correct me if I'm mistaken there. If you can mount the factory short rail section there, that would be great.

I'm considering this mount: mount (http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/smc-light-mount-1-00/)as it approximates the position of the light and mount combo I'm currently using.

Again, thanks for the constructive feedback. I'm off to get a mil-spec RE and an H buffer ordered so I can get this thing running.

Eric
07-13-13, 21:12
Stag lowers and LPK are fine, with the LPK being better than many others. Shoot the gun.