PDA

View Full Version : 223 wylde

maw1777
07-13-13, 01:28
What accuracy should I expect with sub 70 Grn loads?

I wanted a wylde barrel b.c. I thought it shot 5.56 and 223 more effectively and I wanted to use 77 80 Grn loads for hog and deer. Those pack a punch.

I'm worried about my combat accuracy with m855 since my AR was shooting mini 14 groups at 50 yards with a fluted match wylde bull barrel. It could just be me or b.c I was using a red dot in rain.

Same rifle with pending feed ramp magazine issues.

ColtSeavers
07-13-13, 01:51
Nevermind.

maw1777
07-13-13, 02:09
Same one. I don't know why you call it a POS though. I haven't concluded if it is a magazine issue or feeding issue. I just took the upper off and cleaned it the feed ramps look better from a direct angle. From the side they looked more crooked than they are.

I am new here so why so much hostility? Ridiculous.

Trying to learn about my rifle. What is the worst group you can get from a bull barrel, reasonably. Accuracy will be tested to. The maker says he shoots sub MOA with 70 grn sierra match bullets using the same barrel.

wetidlerjr
07-13-13, 06:09
Same one. I don't know why you call it a POS though. I haven't concluded if it is a magazine issue or feeding issue. I just took the upper off and cleaned it the feed ramps look better from a direct angle. From the side they looked more crooked than they are.
I am new here so why so much hostility? Ridiculous.
Trying to learn about my rifle. What is the worst group you can get from a bull barrel, reasonably. Accuracy will be tested to. The maker says he shoots sub MOA with 70 grn sierra match bullets using the same barrel.
The comments on the rifle are not personal attacks and this isn't a "touchy-feely" gun site. Most tell it "like it is" so get thicker skin; read and learn. Use the "Search" feature and read the "stickies" at the head of each forum.
On topic: Like you have been advised, send it back to the builder and have him fix it. Then, if working OK, keep it or sell and get a BCM, DD, Colt, etc. Good Luck!

maw1777
07-13-13, 07:06
I think the ramps are within spec, after closer inspection.

To be perfect the barrel extension could be Replaced and re-fit. Is it really necessary just for inside looks?

http://imageshack.us/a/img29/5650/zpqp.jpg

ColtSeavers
07-13-13, 09:51
Nevermind.

Tzed250
07-13-13, 10:15
I think the ramps are within spec, after closer inspection.

To be perfect the barrel extension could be Replaced and re-fit. Is it really necessary just for inside looks?

http://imageshack.us/a/img29/5650/zpqp.jpg

The feed ramps in your receiver are larger than the ramps in your barrel extension. NG.

NoveskeFan
07-13-13, 10:26
Is there a "ledge" that can be felt where the receiver cuts meet the extension cuts (Yellow Area)?

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/bad_zps55c75536.jpg

I will include pics of my feedramps. Yours dont look that bad.

What experience do you have shooting the AR platform? Whats the barrel twist rate? What optic are you running? Did you zero the irons and optic? Have you let someone else try to group some rounds?

Noveske:
http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/Noveske1_zpsed16dca8.jpg

BCM:
http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/BCM_zps24186c7b.jpg

Daniel Defense:
http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/DD_zpsc4c60a5c.jpg

maw1777
07-13-13, 11:08
I was really wanting to avoid sending the receiver back for refit.

Will mine be causing function problems?

I was using a front rest with a Red dot sight. I haven't got around to serious accuracy tests yet. I want to know what I can expect with NATO loads from a wylde barrel 1:7

maw1777
07-13-13, 11:13
I told the builder to have his tech look at my photo and let me know if I should send back for refitting.

mrvco
07-13-13, 13:17
All things being equal and capable, sub moa (allegedly).

Why can't the local guy you bought the gun from sort it out for you? It is definitely not right that you got a raw deal and he's making out like a bandit.

This forum may be blunt at times, but they speak the truth.

fallenromeo
07-13-13, 13:22
What red dot? 4moa dot could be a big part of it. Also, you are doing accuracy testing with m855 and wondering why your groupings suck?

justin_247
07-13-13, 13:46
I just want to point out that "Wylde" is not a type of barrel - it's a type of chamber on the barrel. Whether or not this kind of chamber actually leads to increased accuracy has been up for debate for quite some time.

Also, you're talking about using "NATO loads," whatever that's supposed to mean, and M855. You will not reach your barrel's full potential with standard NATO ball ammo, especially not M855. You need a custom round of some sort... there's a lot of data out there, so search for it if you need it.

Finally, your disregard of the importance of the feed ramp alignment on the upper receiver is ridiculous. If the single most important aspect of the rifle to you is the barrel, you should be using a bolt action rifle, not an AR. There's so much more to an AR that you need to be concerned with if you want it to reliably function. If you don't care about that, then ARs are not your cup of tea.

justin_247
07-13-13, 14:07
Also, I should note that you seem to be obsessed with buying crap parts or gimmicky parts and then expecting them to perform well. This is not a good idea...

There's only three kinds of mags I would recommend to anybody: PMAGs, NHMTG mags, and Lancers. All of these others mags you're trying, like TAPCO, are just a waste of time. If you're using aluminum mags and everything else seems to be OK with them, I would replace the followers to Magpul Enhanced Followers.

Secondly... there's absolutely nothing on your rifle that justifies the amount of money that you paid for it. NOTHING. You could have purchased a complete Adams Arms upper and attached it to a quality complete lower yourself for about $1,000.

I would never bet my life on a weapon because I wanted to support a "local small business dealer." Sorry, there's plenty of small businesses out there making ARs who you can depend on (G&R Tactical, Rainier Arms, and a whole host of members on this forum who want nothing more than to build you a quality rifle for a decent price).

maw1777
07-13-13, 14:34
They have a parts list and cost memo.

Everything seemed legit. The barrel was really expensive so I thought it was justified. I don't think the feed ramps are the problem. I'm going to buy a lancer warfighter since I like the metal lips and a M3 p mag.

If I still have a problem I'll get them to refit the receiver and barrel. Too bad all these places have no uppers in stock anywhere. That's why I didn't get accomplete upper.

RazorBurn
07-13-13, 14:45
They have a parts list and cost memo.

Everything seemed legit. The barrel was really expensive so I thought it was justified. I don't think the feed ramps are the problem. I'm going to buy a lancer warfighter since I like the metal lips and a M3 p mag.

If I still have a problem I'll get them to refit the receiver and barrel. Too bad all these places have no uppers in stock anywhere. That's why I didn't get accomplete upper.

Bravo Company has been selling complete uppers every day all day long for the past three or four months. Unless you had this rifle built in January that dog won't hunt, or you haven't looked hard enough.

You really should heed the advice you've already been given. If the person who built your AR is local to you, take it back to him armed with the information you've been given here and MAKE HIM MAKE IT RIGHT! He took your money, he has to make it right. I'd personally do my level best to get a refund if I were in your shoes, then take that money and buy a Colt LE6920 or a Bravo Company. Hell, a lot of vendors, even forum sponsors/vendors have quality AR's a plenty in stock for less than you paid for your substandard AR.

I live in a one horse town, and I understand trying to spend money locally. When it comes down to best bang for the buck my money goes to where ever it needs to get that done, even if it is on the other side of the country.

maw1777
07-13-13, 15:52
Just bought a M3 pmag from gun store they over charge so bad 20$ but I got to see that the other mags are no comparison. These fit the best and mate the best with my feed ramps. Still want to give lancer a shot to.

maw1777
07-13-13, 15:57
What makes it a substandard upper, the feed ramps are within spec limits. I can probably get a refund but after I buy the Samson rail and piston set or buy the upper in stock at AA then Samson rail it'll be about 1,000$ they built the entire thing on a stripped lower I bought. Maybe you guys think I only paid for the upper. They put every single piece together which was around 1375 plus sales tax because it's Louisiana. 8% tax here.

Bravo Company has been selling complete uppers every day all day long for the past three or four months. Unless you had this rifle built in January that dog won't hunt, or you haven't looked hard enough.

You really should heed the advice you've already been given. If the person who built your AR is local to you, take it back to him armed with the information you've been given here and MAKE HIM MAKE IT RIGHT! He took your money, he has to make it right. I'd personally do my level best to get a refund if I were in your shoes, then take that money and buy a Colt LE6920 or a Bravo Company. Hell, a lot of vendors, even forum sponsors/vendors have quality AR's a plenty in stock for less than you paid for your substandard AR.

I live in a one horse town, and I understand trying to spend money locally. When it comes down to best bang for the buck my money goes to where ever it needs to get that done, even if it is on the other side of the country.

Grand58742
07-13-13, 16:28
What makes it a substandard upper, the feed ramps are within spec limits. I can probably get a refund but after I buy the Samson rail and piston set or buy the upper in stock at AA then Samson rail it'll be about 1,000$ they built the entire thing on a stripped lower I bought. Maybe you guys think I only paid for the upper. They put every single piece together which was around 1375 plus sales tax because it's Louisiana. 8% tax here.

Okay, here's the question...

Will your local gunsmith stand behind his work if that thing goes kaboom on the first ten rounds? Not saying it will, but is his work insured to that extent?

Just like Iraq Guns said in the other thread, you got screwed by someone slapping together parts of questionable quality. Is the barrel MPI or HPT? How's the staking on your BCG? Is it MPI as well or even Carpenter 158? How much did the stock run you and is the receiver extension commercial or mil-spec? (I'm guessing the former if it's a Rock River Arms). Buffer an carbine or H?

Just right there can you see the questions you should have asked? I'm all about supporting local business as well, but dang guy, read first then buy. You can put together a fully functional BCM hammer forged mid length upper (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM-URG-MID-16-BFH-C4-12) with a Centurion rail with a proper spec BCG and upgraded charging handle for $1,123. Drop it into a Palmetto State Armory complete classic lower (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/receivers/complete-psa-ar-15-lower-classic-edition.html) for $199 and put on a B5 Bravo stock (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/B5-Systems-SOPMOD-BRAVO-Milspec-Stock-Black-p/b5(1082)system-bravo-stock-blk.htm) for $58 and a Magpul MOE grip (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-MOE-AR15-M16-Grip-DARK-EARTH-p/mag415%20-%20dkear.htm) for $20. Sell original stock and grip to offset the cost.

Total after upgrading? $1400 minus whatever you might get for selling the extra parts.

And not only that, comes with a Bravo Company guarantee to work and they will fix it if it's not working correctly. On their dime and typically they pay for shipping.

You're welcome for saving you a hundred bucks as well as finding you a guaranteed to work upper.

Stop being defensive guy, you aren't the first person to get taken for a ride in the craze that has been ongoing since December. But make no mistake, this isn't hostility being directed at you until you start trying to defend your upper that is made with questionable parts. Price you paid doesn't mean squat since I saw S&W Sports and DPMS Oracles going for $1800 back in January. Quality of parts is the only thing that matters

maw1777
07-13-13, 16:57
The charging handle is a bcm gunfighter

The bolt carrier is Adams arms

The buffer tube is mil spec with the rra operator

Receiver and barrel are produced by Yankee H M

The barrel is a match grade bull barrel with wylde chambering

If it functions 100% with the quality magazines I'll have no issues with the cost. The owner personally test fired it 10 founds and I've shot about 120 with only 1 fail to feed from E lander. I tossed that crap magazine.

He says he'll fix or refund if there's a problem. I'm just so confused. I wish I came here before buying though.

Grand58742
07-13-13, 17:36
I tossed that crap magazine.

I'll take whatever Elanders you want to get rid of. PM me if you want

Col_Crocs
07-13-13, 17:42
Just two points here...

Who make's your receiver extension? Some less known, cheap manufacturers make REs to milspec diameter only. There's more to real milspec REs than just their diameter. See thread below:
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=101
BTW, RRA is NOT known for quality.

You paid too much for your barrel. No way in hell is a YHM barrel worth whatever "really expensive" amount you paid for it. Just because you were charged $X for it, doesnt make it actually worth $X. YHM is NOT known for quality.

We're not trying to assholes here... Just giving you advice and telling you how it is. I suggest you read all the threads i linked in your other thread and learn as much as you can. I guarantee it, if you put in the time to read, learn and listen to the guys here, you'll be asking for a refund.

justin_247
07-13-13, 18:59
I added up the price for everything excluding the barrel, and it came to $930.

That leaves $570 for the barrel and whatever gas tube/gas block you use. You can get a Noveske or Douglas barrel with a gas block for that much, and still have $120 to spare.

You got ripped off, dude.

hotrodder636
07-13-13, 19:23
Reading through this thread I almost thought the OP was joking....but I am not so sure.....:confused:

mrvco
07-13-13, 19:53
Use quality mags, shoot the heck out of it and if you have problems, get your local guy to fix it. If he can't fix it, then get your money back.

TunaFisherman
07-13-13, 20:18
This website is starting to read like TOS....:jester:
Why dont people research before buying?
My first AR was a Colt. Im still new to ARs. But I knew before about Colt. But learned about the other quality brands after reading Alot.
I believe you got ripped off by a lgs that will sell anything shiny to the first person who gets all fuzzy holding their "quality" rifle.
Read more = buying less crap