PDA

View Full Version : New guy from Kentucky

threewulfmoon
07-13-13, 08:35
One of my friends recommended M4Carbine.net as an authoritative source and I have to say that he is right. I'm glad to found a no-nonsense source of information. I've been shooting for years off and on. I lost my first gun collection in a house fire several years ago, went off to college, and lived in a place where I couldn't really shoot, so I was out of the game for a few years. But I realized how much I missed shooting, so my burgeoning gun collection is growing once again.

I decided to see what this black rifle craze was all about, but I didn't know where to start. I have zero experience with the AR-15 platform. After reading here and talking to some of my friends, I realized that some of the "household" names in ARs were more about marketing than quality. Therefore, I decided to go as high quality as I could afford and pick up a Colt 6920 FDE. The fit and finish are just awesome and it has functioned flawlessly in the rounds I have put through it so far. I realize that there's some work to be done (trigger upgrade, optic), but I'm glad that I became informed and spent the extra $150 to get a top tier rifle.

There is a local trainer that offers a tactical rifle course that I plan on taking. Because of my job in emergency management, I can observe and possibly even participate in local LE training. We have a tactical narcotics unit in this county that is very squared away and most of the guys on it are gun nuts who are a wealth of knowledge. Our sherrifs office has just established a special tactics unit as well and they are training a lot. I've been invited me to go shoot with them, but I don't want to be the winner of the infamous "pink bullet award" for the lowest qualifier. I need a little more practice first.

Anyway, thanks for sharing all of this knowledge and experience and Iook forward to learning a lot during my time here!

Wes

Airhasz
07-13-13, 08:38
Welcome aboard, lot to learn!

TacCommE21
07-13-13, 20:05
Welcome! Montgomery County?

threewulfmoon
07-13-13, 22:36
Yep. Seems you've got me at a loss.

dash1
07-13-13, 23:17
Welcome! Montgomery County?

Wow Psychic friend, now tell me what the winning Lottery numbers are.

I'm thinking the "pink bullet award" gave it away.

TacCommE21
07-14-13, 00:25
Wow Psychic friend, now tell me what the winning Lottery numbers are.

I'm thinking the "pink bullet award" gave it away.

Sorry. Didn't intend to give the impression that I know him. I've worked in EM and he mentioned it in his post. Just curious was all. ;)

As for your question: 2-8-22-35-37, PB 6.

You're welcome. :D

threewulfmoon
07-14-13, 04:20
Lol. All I know is that if you get invited to go to the range with a bunch of cops, you don't want to be the last place guy. I don't think they'd let me live it down. This is the first rifle I've had with GI sights on it and though it feels natural, I need a lot more practice.

I noticed at the last active shooter exercise that we had that some of those guys had some pretty sweet rifles. I'm pretty sure I saw a couple SBRs and nice optics. My friend has an aimpoint pro on his rifle and it seems GTG, but I'd like to try an EOTECH or other options also. An ACOG is probably my holy grail glass but I can't imagine spending that much on an optic. Unless of course TacComm's numbers come through, then the ACOGs are on me.

TacticalSledgehammer
08-30-13, 17:03
If you live in Montgomery co, you have a decent range out in bath county at cave run lake.

DeviousMind
10-26-13, 20:33
Welcome from Louisville. Tons to learn on this board. It can be a little rough but don't let that deter you. And Go Cards. Lol