PDA

View Full Version : Prioritize ammo?

jmoore
07-13-13, 09:56
I'm an above average shooter who doesn't shoot often.
I am not all that knowledgeable about ammo. I may be taking a 2-day class that will have an 800 rd requirement. I have the following at this point in time:
300 in stripper clips - xm193A
1000 xm193 white box
640 Rem. 223
1000 prvi partizan m193
900 Black Hills 75gr match hp

For the ammo folks - what gets shot up first, i.e., for class, and what gets stashed away for the zombies & SHTF times?
TIA

John

JW5219
07-13-13, 11:23
I'd definitely keep the Black Hills on hand, and not shoot that in a class. The rest listed is a toss up in my opinion, but I'd keep the PRVI next and blast away the rest. Some may disagree. Just my opinion and worth exactly .02 I guess. Good luck! ;)

goodoleboy
07-13-13, 13:15
I would take the white box M193 to class. Here's my reasoning:

The Black Hills is your cream of the crop, so to speak. If I were loading a carbine for home defense and having to choose from your selection, the Black Hills would be going in it.

At that point, it's kind of a toss-up for me. Here's how I would prioritize it if it were up to me. Privi has a pretty good reputation, and having stripper clips is convenient for refilling mags quickly. So, what I would probably do is take the XM193 off the clips and put three hundred rounds of Privi on in their place (2nd Choice). Next would be the loose Privi, and coming in at the bottom would be XM193 (all loose at this point). Hence, I would take XM193 to classes.

Kain
07-13-13, 13:53
Suppose it depends on what the .223 is. If it is like what is sitting in my ammo cans, .223 55gr Remington UMC then I would grab that and the M193 on strippers. Keep the strippers as you can reload them if you like. If the .223 Remington is something more then just bulk then I would shoot the M193 on strippers and which ever M193, the PPU or the other one, that you feel is inferior to the other.

SteveS
07-13-13, 14:54
Shoot up the cheapest and most unreliable ammo first. The unreliable ammo will teach clearing. I had a 380 llama Good to learn clearance drills with.

tommyrott
07-15-13, 23:33
i'd shoot the privi because some classes don't let you retrieve brass because of class tempo, i've found privi brass to be harder than american brass so might have a shorter reload life span and i have seen reloads using privi suffer a case seperation on first reload. inquire with the instructor if they allow pick up after class, some ranges claim the brass others it's a first come first serve, this is how i've kept myself in brass for the last 5 years( local range, police only classes)take a couple buckets just in case

markm
07-16-13, 08:33
PRVI gone first. No doubt.

Then XM193.

BH is the stasher out of those.

RMiller
07-16-13, 08:39
You talking about the shooters school? Ran out of Atwood? Or some town between Decatur and Chambana? I've looked into their carbine course as well.

I may be taking a 2-day class that will have an 800 rd requirement.

Keith E.
07-16-13, 12:05
Weed out the dregs using the below for your firearm:

1. Reliability

2. Accuracy

Dump the worst at the class unless the ammo is too unreliable for you to keep pace with the instruction. You don't want to be "That Guy". I'd recommend using the stripper clips at class as they'll speed your mag loading and will allow you to shoot, listen, watch, etc. more. Enjoy and be safe.

Keith