PDA

View Full Version : Most popular Glock trigger for concealed carry?

SWThomas
07-13-13, 11:20
I'm getting ready to pick up a G19 Gen4 as my new CC gun. I wanna install a trigger kit along with the sights, but I wanna make sure I make a good choice. What's everyone like for a CC trigger?

serbonze
07-13-13, 11:39
I'm getting ready to pick up a G19 Gen4 as my new CC gun. I wanna install a trigger kit along with the sights, but I wanna make sure I make a good choice. What's everyone like for a CC trigger?

OEM for a carry gun. In my opinion, the stress induced during an altercation that would see you discharging a round from a carry gun will negate any perceived benefit from the lighter or smoother pull of an aftermarket trigger. In fact, it could lead to a negligent discharge.
Again, just my opinion. Now, a competion gun is a different story.

MCS
07-13-13, 11:51
Factory trigger..

rickmy
07-13-13, 12:00
I would definitely stick with the factory trigger. Glock factory triggers are great, especially compared to other stock triggers. All of my M&Ps came in over 7 pounds. M&P 45 was more like 9lbs. They all had to get apex sears. I believe the factory Glock trigger is 5.5.

jpgm
07-13-13, 12:04
I agree, go with the stock trigger. Excellent results can be achieved in a little bit of time with the factory setup and have reliability at the same time.

jpgm

Dos Cylindros
07-13-13, 12:07
I really don't see the need, or desire to swap out the factory trigger on a carry gun. All the popular modern service pistols have triggers that are more than serviceable for self defense use. Just stay with the factory glock setup.

Voodoo_Man
07-13-13, 12:40
I like the negative bar, but I would only suggest carrying a glock with a negative bar if your gun handling skills are advanced enough to not ND into yourself or others.

Ranger45
07-13-13, 12:44
I've kept the trigger on my CCW Gen4 G19 factory stock.

Psalms144.1
07-13-13, 12:48
Bone stock for me, especially on a CCW...

mikejg
07-13-13, 13:00
My only change was swapping the 19 serrated triggers for the 17's smooth triggers.

rjacobs
07-13-13, 13:04
I like the negative bar

This was what I was going to post.

put a - connector in and call it a day. The gen 4 has a little more pull weight than a gen 3 due to the design and angles they had to go to to make the grip a little smaller. The - connector brings the pull back into Gen 3 territory.

I shot my Gen 4 19 with - connector compared to my dads Gen 3 thats bone stock and they both feel about the same, maybe .5lb lighter in the Gen 4 with - connector.

gunnut284
07-13-13, 13:17
My only change was swapping the 19 serrated triggers for the 17's smooth triggers.

I also do this to mine. Standard factory connector but smooth 17 trigger (don't like the serrations).

black22rifle
07-13-13, 14:05
Ghost rocket

Wake27
07-13-13, 14:09
I started with the - and liked it but bought another G19 that had the trigger guard undercut, the smooth trigger, and the Ghost 3.5. Before switching I was concerned that would be too light for carry, but honestly forgot I even had a lighter one in there and have never done anything that cocerned me with having a lighter trigger.

.XL
07-13-13, 14:38
If you have money to burn The GUARDIAN is a great Glock CC trigger.

ST911
07-13-13, 14:54
Coil trigger spring with standard connector, or NY1/(-) connector combination. Only OEM components important purposes like CCW.

See previous threads for detailed discussions of some other OTC drop-in Glock trigger packs and components.

Big A
07-13-13, 15:51

I also do this to mine. Standard factory connector but smooth 17 trigger (don't like the serrations).

I'm another fan of the smooth "target" trigger. The only other thing I do is a polish job to smooth it out. Neither are necessary for CC'ing, just personal preference...and inexpensive :cool:

weggy
07-13-13, 16:04
The one in the gun.

Fougasse
07-13-13, 19:46
My main carry guns have standard Gen 4 glock triggers with the only modification being a 25 cent trigger job. A Dremel, some Flitz, and 30 minutes of your life and you have a good carry trigger.

Only other things I changed where the mag release and slide stop for Vickers parts, and Ameriglo Defoor sights.

sammage
07-13-13, 20:09
Smooth trigger as well, and polished standard or dot (gen 4) connector.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Blayglock
07-13-13, 20:28
Stock with a $0.25 trigger job

Breacher 217
07-13-13, 21:52
Coil trigger spring with standard connector, or NY1/(-) connector combination. Only OEM components important purposes like CCW.

See previous threads for detailed discussions of some other OTC drop-in Glock trigger packs and components.

+1...

Up1911fan
07-13-13, 22:07
All of my Glock's have a smooth trigger (full size model), - connector with a NY1 trigger spring.

t1tan
07-13-13, 22:12
Any Glock I own/carry gets a polished Glock - connector and a smooth trigger with polished bar. Trigger kits are a waste of money and some disable safeties.

MadAngler1
07-13-13, 22:20

The stock 5.5 lb trigger. I wouldn't bet my life on an after-market Glock trigger. After 1000 rounds, the factory trigger breaks in nicely. The short trigger reset of Glocks are nice.

T2C
07-13-13, 22:21
Stock trigger and steel sights.

okie john
07-13-13, 22:46

This, plus a smooth-faced trigger.

Okie John

davidjinks
07-13-13, 23:31
OEM trigger. The only trigger upgrades I've done for carry guns is all my triggers on my 19s and 26s get changed out to a 17 trigger.

PA PATRIOT
07-14-13, 00:58
Smooth faced trigger with a Glock 3.5lb connector with a Glock NY1 trigger spring.

Smooth trigger stroke all the way through the pull, all my Glocks are set up this way.

JonInWA
07-14-13, 07:42
I have 2 Gen 3 G19s; on one, I'm running it with "dot" connector, contemporary "dogleg" triggerbar w/ smooth-faced trigger, and coil trigger spring; the other is run with a "minus" connector, NY1 spring, and older non-dogleg triggerbar with a smooth face.

Best, Jon.

Voodoo_Man
07-14-13, 07:47
The NY1 trigger sucks, I use one at work, which blows.

For you guys carrying the NY1 in your carry guns, is it because you like the "smooth" trigger or because you fear the liability involved with a light trigger?

Vendetta
07-14-13, 08:13
Why do you think you even need a new trigger group?

Factory, like everyone else has said. The only thing I changed on my G19 was put a smooth trigger in it, which is the factory G17 trigger. Other than that it has thousands of rounds through it and is incredibly smooth.

Up1911fan
07-14-13, 09:08

For you guys carrying the NY1 in your carry guns, is it because you like the "smooth" trigger or because you fear the liability involved with a light trigger?

I prefer the feel of a more constant take-up coupled with the rolling break and firmer reset.

SWAT Lt.
07-14-13, 09:19
Leave the trigger alone and replace the sights. A Vickers slide stop and a few more mags would also be nice. Don't replace or "improve" anything else.

walkin' trails
07-14-13, 09:21
Congratulations on acquiring what is probably the most popular Glock model on the planet right now. I think that the Glock 5.5 trigger is the best way to go for a carry package that gets some target and maybe even weekend competition time. I have played with the 3.5, the NY-1 with 3.5, and straight-up NY-1, and haven't found them to work any better, or more reliably for me than the standard 5.5. With liberal application of dry fire practice performed in the safest manner possible, you will have no problem mastering the trigger of your pistol. I do like the idea of the putting a 17 trigger bar assembly into a 19 if it works reliably. I personally cannot stand the serrations, which along with the trigger safety, cause me to develop a blister after prolonged range time. I've got dibs on a Gen 4 26 at a local shop and intend to see if the Gen 4 17 trigger will fit in the smaller package.

In the 26 years I've spent owning and shooting Glocks, the only aftermarket parts I've personally found that are thoroughly reliable for a carry gun are aftermarket sights and Wolff magazine springs.

ST911
07-14-13, 10:07

I think everyone listing the NY1 is doing so in conjunction with the the (-) connector. Have you tried that combination? Is nice...

NCPatrolAR
07-14-13, 10:53
Before switching out the trigger bar; my Gen 3 G19 had an issue with breaking trigger springs. Prior to changing out the bar, I spent some time on the NY1/- combo. For me; I didnt care for the increase in pull weight on the trigger and thought the reset was too positive. I've moved away from that setup and never wanted to go back.

smoky
07-14-13, 11:17

I have the NY1/- combo in my carry gun and I like how the pull is smoother, even if it feels longer. Not to mention the NY1 spring seems like a much stronger unit.

donlapalma
07-14-13, 11:21
I also experimented with the NY1 + (-) connector combo, but it wasn't for me. I went back to the factory setup, did some light polishing on parts, and shot the piss out of it. I figured out that was the route for me.

Voodoo_Man
07-14-13, 15:37
I have tried the combo and do not believe it is smooth at all, then again, my duty gun has a standard connector and an NY1 so I may be bias against it.

I actually prefer the crisp break of just a negative connector.

SWThomas
07-14-13, 17:30
Thanks for all the input fellas! That makes it an easy decision. I'll stick with the stock trigger. I already have some Trijicon 3 dots on the way so I guess my mods are done.

Thanks!!!

PSBT4117
07-14-13, 22:38
I would stay stock. The 1st G19 I had for off duty carry had the NY1 trigger in it as did my first issued G22. After switching to a regular setup, I haven't gone back. Our agency dumped the NY1 trigger when we issued new G22's.

morbidbattlecry
07-15-13, 19:49
I'm a pretty big fan of the "-" connector+.25 cent trigger job.

tommyrott
07-15-13, 20:33
i've been shooting a glockworx V2 fulcrum duty/tactical with factory stock weight springs, glockworx 2 lb connector . been shooting this combo for about 2 years. the GWX duty/tac trigger is non-adjustable but has a shorter trigger pull than stock but has a very nice stack up toward the break. if you want closer to stock pull length they have the duty/SD just slightly shorter than stock but longer than the tac. what i like the most is the shape of the trigger, the stock trigger would give me blisters if i dry-fired enough the glockworx V2 is made of aluminum and has a flat face much more comfortable but not as cheap as a .25 self done job but if you can afford it worth checking out

Pappabear
07-16-13, 00:33
I changed my G19 to lighten it a tad, it was heavy. Maybe 4.5 lbs now. On my shield, I felt it was pretty good bone stock, so I left it alone.

Endur
07-16-13, 02:14
Try different combos and see what is most comfortable for you as long as it doesn't affect safety.

I have a smooth trigger w/ a ghost 3.5 connector and a ny1 spring. Loving it so far but it is not for everyone.

johnnyrebel87
07-16-13, 07:58
My gen 4 18 cane with a 8lb trigger, and rough. Pissed me off. Input in a gen 3 17 trigger and bar, and it still sucked but was much better. Installed a zev tech 3.5 and type r return spring and its decent now.

johnnyrebel87
07-16-13, 08:00
I wish.

I meant 19. Lol

Spiffums
07-16-13, 15:19
Smooth.........I don't care for the target trigger to make points with the ATF for importation trigger.

Dmaynor
12-25-13, 22:54
I went with GlockWorx

Shiz
12-26-13, 09:31
I actually like the OEM trigger. A lot!!

SpeedRacer
12-26-13, 10:47
My personal favorite carry setup is the Zev Duty fulcrum trigger, Zev trigger return spring, and an OEM (-) connector. Everything else stays factory. The result is a trigger that's not much lighter than factory, but much smoother, crisper and more predictable. And the wider, flat face of the Zev trigger is a huge improvement.

On a budget, just a (-) connector and OEM smooth trigger gets the job done.

BigTex2000
07-23-18, 11:39
Anyone see the new vickers glock trigger from tango down?

https://tangodown.com/shop/vickers-tactical-carry-trigger-vtct-001-gen-3-4/

I was shooting my g19 yesterday and shot a few rounds out of my buddy's beretta 92 and the trigger is night and day lighter. It got me thinking again about upgrading the trigger pull/

hile
07-23-18, 14:02
OEM. I am, however, starting to standardize on 4.5lb (that is, minus) connectors everywhere. ETA: Like jaramillio4418, I also put the smooth-faced trigger in all my 19- and 26-sized guns.

KTR03
07-23-18, 15:28
OEM. I am, however, starting to standardize on 4.5lb (that is, minus) connectors everywhere. ETA: Like jaramillio4418, I also put the smooth-faced trigger in all my 19- and 26-sized guns.

You are getting really good advice here. For any gun forum, there is a striking amount of consensus. In the 25 years or so I have been carrying Glocks I have done the (-) connector, the (-) connector and NY1 (which I liked for the super strong reset and the elimination of a spring that can break) and a bunch of after market triggers. Not sure how many Glocks I have now (probably 10 or so), but they all have the stock trigger in them. THey work. They are predictable. ANd they prevent all the downstream risks of changing out the trigger. For a game gun that is a piece of sporting goods equipment, why not? But for a weapon, that is a piece of emergency equipment, stock is the way to go.

MWAG19919
07-23-18, 16:12
Training. OEM trigger is fine

jesuvuah
07-23-18, 16:42
I have tried various triggers and parts over the years. I too have returned to stock with smooth triggers, although I do still have an extra power trigger spring in all my guns. It makes very little difference in trigger pull but I feel it helps my fell the reset slightly better.

Tried several of the new flat faced triggers, and honestly, none of them did much for me. Just a note, I currently own only gen 3 glocks, but I am very tempted to get either a 19x or a gen5 19, I have heard their triggers are a little better out of the box

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

p7fl
07-24-18, 05:02
I have a different approach. All my Glock 19s go from CCW to competition and then back again.
Coming from the 1911 world I like a very light, distinct break with little or no take up.
No two of my 4 Gen 4 Glock 19s have the same feel. Like Goldie Locks one is perfect and the rest less so. Glocks are like Lego’s, just keep changing parts until you get the gun to where you like the trigger.
I try and copy the best results and still get different trigger breaks, take up, resets.
It depends on how anal you are. I am always playing with parts.

Having said that, the very best trigger is the stock, never polished, original on the 19 I bought in 1993.

thegreyman
07-24-18, 06:22
Stock trigger, good sights, and available light.
Your lawyer will like the OEM trigger too; reality.

t1tan
07-24-18, 21:42
Stock trigger, good sights, and available light.
Your lawyer will like the OEM trigger too; reality.

stop with this bullshit

turnburglar
07-28-18, 11:24
I'll play...

I have been carrying my 19.3 since I bouhgt it early in 2014. I have ran her through a half dozen classes and the half dozen shooting trips I make a year. Probably near 6k round count. The 'changes' made to my trigger include the following:

- 17/34 trigger shoe: the serated trigger face on the 19 sucks.
- 6# trigger spring: makes the reset more crisp
- Lown wolf classic target conector: reduces the wall, making for a cleaner break.

I only installed these parts THIS MONTH. Why? because I am chasing bullseyes at my local indoor. I dont know I guess its a hobby? For duty/carry there is zero reason to change anything on a glock besides sights and stippling.

hile
07-28-18, 13:13
If policy authorized (for duty carry), I'd still put the 17/34 trigger and trigger bar in a G19 just to rid myself of that serrated face. I also like the Minus (4.5) connector.

AndyLate
07-28-18, 14:41
I installed a G17 smooth faced trigger/trigger bar in my carry G19. I didn't change anything else because it's well broken in and smooth.

Andy

07-28-18, 15:55
Yep depends on what you are going to be doing with it. Play gun, competition, everyday carry? There are many options and a wide array of prices. I have a $150 trigger that I love, but I also have another one that only cost me $50 that is as good or better than the $150 one. If you have friends with Glocks see if you can shoot guns that have trigger mods to see what they feel like.

bigkracka
07-29-18, 09:44
Yep depends on what you are going to be doing with it. Play gun, competition, everyday carry? There are many options and a wide array of prices. I have a $150 trigger that I love, but I also have another one that only cost me $50 that is as good or better than the $150 one. If you have friends with Glocks see if you can shoot guns that have trigger mods to see what they feel like.

Who makes those two triggers?

390ish
07-29-18, 11:51
Suarez International in my G19. Has made the pistol a joy to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3ACR_Scout
08-09-18, 06:55

For about $35, I’ll try one of those out, just because I’m curious what a flat trigger feels like, and I have a few extra trigger bars lying around (with serrated trigger shoes attached). But for carry, I won’t use anything other than the smooth G17 factory trigger. I polish my parts (both with a Dremel and lots of rounds), but that’s it.

RHINOWSO
08-09-18, 09:40
OEM G17 smooth trigger & bar, OEM (-) connector.

Ron3
08-09-18, 13:52
Stock. Even though it stinks in many ways. I'm not willing to trust after market triggers in a carry gun. The consequences of an AD are high.

I do prefer the smooth faced triggers.

I prefer not to carry a Glock at all anymore though. Better as a service pistol than an everyday CCW.

Ironman8
08-09-18, 17:11
OEM G17 smooth trigger & bar, OEM (-) connector.

I see a lot of guys talk about the smooth trigger & bar, but is that a personal preference thing (feel), or does it actually improve the performance of the trigger pull itself?

CPM
08-09-18, 19:05
You’ll be better served by buying bullets and an IDPA/USPSA membership instead.

Iraqgunz
08-10-18, 16:06
Maybe....just maybe starting a new thread about a new product in the current times and not reviving something 5 years old will yield better results.

I was shooting my g19 yesterday and shot a few rounds out of my buddy's beretta 92 and the trigger is night and day lighter. It got me thinking again about upgrading the trigger pull/