PDA

View Full Version : First build finally finished

TB2013
07-14-13, 07:21
I was able to finish this project last week with the help of my dad while I'm deployed. I already had the lower before I left and the rest of the parts I bought while I was over here. Let me know what you guys think, sorry for the crappy pic this is the only one I've got.

Upper:
DD 16" URG Low Pro GB with Geissele MK 13 (Thanks Grant!)

Lower:
Mega Arms lower
PSA lower parts kit
Magpul trigger guard
Magpul ASAP
Magpul MOE
Ergo grip
Geissele SD-C trigger

Not pictured is a couple of PMags and Magpul MBUS
Still need to buy a H1 with Larue or AMD mount

Gatorshark
07-14-13, 07:56
Nice build.

REM700FSTF
07-14-13, 07:57
nice rifle how does she shoot ?

Airhasz
07-14-13, 07:59
Great parts selection, how's it shoot?

TB2013
07-14-13, 08:05
Thanks guys! Unfortunately I'm in Afghanistan for a couple more months and won't be able to shoot it. Can't wait to get home and shoot it though! I will let everyone know how it shoots once I get home.

MistWolf
07-14-13, 11:12
Why did you select the parts you did vs other options? What role did you build the rifle to fill?

TB2013
07-14-13, 11:19
Why did you select the parts you did vs other options? What role did you build the rifle to fill?

For the upper I was looking for a good 16" barrel regardless of stainless or chrome lined. I chose 16" because I live in California and didn't want to have to pin and weld the brake. I saw the deal with the Geissele rail from G&R tactical and had to have it. I wanted the rifle to be relatively light and will be mainly used for engagements within 150 meters. I've also built a precision bolt gun in .308 while ive been deployed, so this rifle was mainly for shorter range shots.

RMiller
07-14-13, 11:23
For the upper I was looking for a good 16" barrel regardless of stainless or chrome lined. I chose 16" because I live in California and didn't want to have to pin and weld the brake. I saw the deal with the Geissele rail from G&R tactical and had to have it. I wanted the rifle to be relatively light and will be mainly used for engagements within 150 meters. I've also built a precision bolt gun in .308 while ive been deployed, so this rifle was mainly for shorter range shots.

Is it for home defense? Punching holes in paper?

I'd say start snagging mags when you can, ammo, and run her through some professional classes.

TB2013
07-14-13, 11:33
It will be for punching holes in paper, home defense, occasionally shooting steel out to 300/400. Kind of a do it all AR until I can either move from horrible California and build an SBR or just build a SPR. I've got a couple of mags right now and will have another 7-10 once I ETS out of the Army. I ve got 500 rounds so far and just waiting for rounds to hopefully drop before stocking up on more. As far as professional classes I've been in the Infantry for past three years and feel like I've got a good grasp on things and would rather spend that money on more ammo.

RMiller
07-14-13, 11:48
There was no offense intended. A class would further push your carbine skills and prove your carbines worth to you. If you can put a carbine through a high round count class wouldn't you put more faith in that said carbine vs one that hasn't?

Btw, my buddy was overseas(iraq) in 09' I believe and after he took a class realized the army doesn't do nearly enough. Things may have changed, idk. It's always good to keep an open mind.

It will be for punching holes in paper, home defense, occasionally shooting steel out to 300/400. Kind of a do it all AR until I can either move from horrible California and build an SBR or just build a SPR. I've got a couple of mags right now and will have another 7-10 once I ETS out of the Army. I ve got 500 rounds so far and just waiting for rounds to hopefully drop before stocking up on more. As far as professional classes I've been in the Infantry for past three years and feel like I've got a good grasp on things and would rather spend that money on more ammo.

TB2013
07-14-13, 12:07
There was no offense intended. A class would further push your carbine skills and prove your carbines worth to you. If you can put a carbine through a high round count class wouldn't you put more faith in that said carbine vs one that hasn't?

Btw, my buddy was overseas(iraq) in 09' I believe and after he took a class realized the army doesn't do nearly enough. Things may have changed, idk. It's always good to keep an open mind.

My bad I didn't mean for that to sound mean or that I'm above going to a professional class. I can definitely improve and also won't have the resources I do now when I am out of the Army. The Army is definitely way behind in the way it trains and runs ranges, but I've been lucky enough to have good leadership who lets us team leaders/squad leaders run our own ranges and training. Mainly pulling stuff from Magpul DVD's and also the SF guys in country.

RMiller
07-14-13, 14:27
In my eyes any training is priceless. The only training I've had is from my buddy and a local LEO that helped me out. Both had taken classes from prominent instructors. So the knowledge is second hand, but knowledge non the less. More is always better.

And thankyou for serving. It's much appreciated.

My bad I didn't mean for that to sound mean or that I'm above going to a professional class. I can definitely improve and also won't have the resources I do now when I am out of the Army. The Army is definitely way behind in the way it trains and runs ranges, but I've been lucky enough to have good leadership who lets us team leaders/squad leaders run our own ranges and training. Mainly pulling stuff from Magpul DVD's and also the SF guys in country.

TB2013
07-15-13, 05:04
In my eyes any training is priceless. The only training I've had is from my buddy and a local LEO that helped me out. Both had taken classes from prominent instructors. So the knowledge is second hand, but knowledge non the less. More is always better.

And thankyou for serving. It's much appreciated.

Thanks for the support and also the advice. I will look into some classes and also start buying more ammo!

skijunkie55
07-16-13, 19:49
Can you get a few more pics when you have a chance? I'm still debating on the NSR or MK 13 rail for mine

Hinterland
07-25-13, 18:56
Great looking build. Can't go wrong with the Geissele triggers. By far the best addition to any of my builds.

Evil1969SS>LS6
07-25-13, 20:17
I ve got 500 rounds so far and just waiting for rounds to hopefully drop before stocking up on more.

Slick stick there! But, I would'nt hold my breath on prices coming down much, your best bet is get it while you can.. Id rather get it at high prices rather than hoping prices comedown. You never know what might happen down the road in the US... Just my .02

TB2013
07-25-13, 20:26
Slick stick there! But, I would'nt hold my breath on prices coming down much, your best bet is get it while you can.. Id rather get it at high prices rather than hoping prices comedown. You never know what might happen down the road in the US... Just my .02

Very true I guess you've always got to expect the worse. Might as well buy them while you still can and at this point anything less than .50 a round isn't too bad.