PDA

View Full Version : New S&W M&P 9

walkin' trails
07-14-13, 09:45

I took delivery of my new M&P 9 full size last week. Initial inspection of the pistol showed nothing amiss. The trigger (for a polymer pistol) broke crisply, but was gritty. I ordered this pistol with standard sights because I intend to replace them with Heinies. I cleaned off the factory preservatives and gunk, and lubed it up proper with Slip 2000.

I made it to the range this past Friday with 200 rounds of ammo (Winchester Ranger 124 grain FMJ and Bonded 147 grain HP; and Federal Hydra Shok 147). I experienced no erratic ejection, no malfunctions; and by the end of the session the gritty feeling in the trigger was gone.

Accuracy was decent. All shooting was done off-hand This pistol has the barrel with one dimple on the bottom side, for whatever that means in regard to upgrades or design changes.

The sights could probably stand to be adjusted as I was shooting slightly to the left at 15 and 25 yards, but I was also jerking the trigger more than I should have. Also, having Heinie sights on all my other semis, I found the three-dots to be a bit of a distraction. Still, I think the 25 yard group was decent; and the seven yard groups were pretty tight as long as I wasn't jerking.

Overall, I'm not disappointed. This is my second M&P. I have owned and carried a 45 full size since 2009.

BBS
07-15-13, 07:50
What was the production date on your m&p? They just released a newer version with a faster twist barrel and updated sear. The updated sear has completely transformed the trigger!

bowietx
07-15-13, 08:03
BBS,

What are the production dates/serial numbers for the models with the new sear? Have you fired one of these and if so how do you feel that it compares to the apex kit?

ggammell
07-15-13, 12:19
I was with a friend yesterday who bought a mid-June 2013 production M&P 9 FS. It still had a very gritty trigger out of the box. The barrel also had only one dot on the underside as opposed to the two dots on the improved production models (Modern Service Weapons covered this a few weeks ago). It still seems like a crap shoot when you by an M&P. Another friend bought an M&P 40c a couple weeks ago. It came standard with gritty trigger and a two dot barrel.

I didn't check lock up in the 9 but I did check the 40 a little and it seems reasonable.

Razorhunter
07-15-13, 14:58
Where are these bbl dots located??? Are they machined into the bbl, or what?

JSantoro
07-15-13, 15:02
See the lower of the two barrels in the photo: http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=3719

Omega Man
07-15-13, 15:08
The trigger on my 2012 M&P FS 9mm is smooth as butter and has a short, tactile reset. No issues and its as accurate as my Glock 19.

BBS
07-15-13, 16:49
BBS,

What are the production dates/serial numbers for the models with the new sear? Have you fired one of these and if so how do you feel that it compares to the apex kit?Mine is a 12/30/2012 and has one dot under the barrel. 1:10 twist and the trigger was smooth out of the box. Even had the new slide stop which helped improve the reset.

ggammell
07-15-13, 17:50
It's so strange for such a variation to be in the market place for the same item made at the same place. I want to like to M&P 9 so much but the inconsistency is amazing.

cutter_spc
07-15-13, 18:04
Mine has a test fire date of 4-18-13. It has the new sear and two dots on the barrel as well as the thicker roll pin through the extractor. The trigger on mine had a gritty take up then broke pretty nice. I polished up the firing pin block engagement hump on the trigger bar and now its a pretty nice trigger.

maw1777
07-15-13, 18:18
Not really impressed with that group but it's probably because you are new with it. I know MPs are a good gun.

walkin' trails
07-15-13, 21:41
I don't know what the build date was, but it was test fired June 24, 2013. Even if it was manufactured after the newer barrel upgrades, I would imagine sometimes the factories use up existing stocks before the new parts go in - unless there was a major problem.

I will work on switching out the sights as soon as I can, and them make sure they're dialed in a little better. I will also test it and probably qualify on an outdoor range, and I think I shoot better outdoors. In the meantime I've got.to work on that trigger jerk issue.

Razorhunter
07-16-13, 14:59
Well I just looked at an M&P9 4.25"bbl at the LGS. It had a test fire date of 6/24/2013, but still had only a single bbl dot and gritty trigger too. Still had the flat (with 90 degree "corners") striker block too.

Questions:

1. Why the "squared" striker blocks? I read a while back that S&W had switched to the rounded/domed striker blocks (like the Apex USB's) long ago, but this clearly isn't the case. This would solve the gritty trigger for the most part.

2. Does anyone know if the M&P45's, with 4" bbl, are going to also get new bbl twist rates, or does this only apply to the 9mm guns?

marshallwk
07-16-13, 19:50
I'm pretty sure the revamps were not for the M&P 45's just the 9's and 40s. The 45's dont need any barrel change IMHO, they are well known for shooting fantastic outside the box and out of the glock, HK and M&P I'd say the M&P wins the stock accuracy war.

Razorhunter
07-16-13, 22:17
Mine is a 12/30/2012 and has one dot under the barrel. 1:10 twist and the trigger was smooth out of the box. Even had the new slide stop which helped improve the reset.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold up. "1 bbl dot and 1:10 twist"??? I thought this was contrary to what Hilton Yam and everyone else is saying? I thought TWO bbl dots denoted the new 1:10 bbl twist rate???

JSantoro
07-16-13, 22:41
Barrel types previous to the 1:10 barrels have NO dimples at all on the underside.

AKA, the ones with dimples are the "...apparent third generation of barrels..." described in the linked article I fed (BY Hilton Yam) in post #6, in response to your question in post #5.

The time-frame of their appearance has been mentioned in other, existing M&P threads, since the end of 2012.

BBS
07-17-13, 11:58
Whoa whoa whoa, hold up. "1 bbl dot and 1:10 twist"??? I thought this was contrary to what Hilton Yam and everyone else is saying? I thought TWO bbl dots denoted the new 1:10 bbl twist rate???I'll snap a pic for you later when I can. I have no way of actually measuring the exact twist but lined side-by-side with my glock, it looks identical.

Razorhunter
07-17-13, 12:11
Santoro, thx for clearing that up man. No need for pics, I have seen the bbl dots, but for some reason, I had thought that ONE bbl dot meant old bbl twist rate, and TWO bbl dots meant new bbl twist rate. However, as Santoro pointed out, it's actually ONE BBL DOT = NEW bbl twist rate, and NO bbl dots = old bbl twist rate. Thx again guys.

P.S. I read that S&W has also gone to some sort of new style trigger bar. Anyone know what this is about? Is this new trigger bar possibly addressing reset, or something else? Just trying to determine if these new M&P's still need an Apex RAM when new, out of the box or not???

NoveskeFan
07-17-13, 17:22
OK, so what does the two dimple barrel mean?

RIGPIG
07-17-13, 18:00
I bought an M&P40 4.25 a couple months ago, and has a 3/13 build date. It has the updated sear and trigger, but I still thought they were crap. I'm used to Glock triggers, and like the crispness of a Glock and the tactile and audible reset. I ponied up for an Apex Polymer FSS kit, and love everything about this gun now. It always was accurate, but with the lighter and shorter trigger, it's much nicer for run and gun matches. I also added the Taran Tactical Innovations +5 extended baseplates.. Money well spent.

Razorhunter
07-17-13, 18:27

Not so sure there even are 2 dot bbls my friend. Sorry for confusion.

NoveskeFan
07-17-13, 18:37
Pretty sure mine does. I'll double check and post back.

dookie1481
07-17-13, 19:08

I have one. Test fire date 5/30/13.

NoveskeFan
07-17-13, 19:37
Mine has two. Here is a bad pic:
http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/IMG_1478_zpseece6f6d.jpg

JSantoro
07-18-13, 08:10

So far.....that it's a 1:10 barrel. If they mean anything beyond that, it's not been announced by S&W, that I can discern (status quo, since NONE of their parts-alterations ever are....).

At the moment, there seems to be three types/generations of 9mm barrel:
1. With a collar or shoulder immediately forward of the barrel hood.
2. With no collar/shoulder.
3. No collar/shoulder; with one or two dimples on the underside

As for the newer trigger bar, that has also been out for some time and mentioned in existing M&P threads. Here's another MSW article where it's mentioned in relation to how it and the newer slide stop interact: http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=3830

cmkirkham
07-19-13, 18:57

+1 to this, as my 9mm FS has two dimples.

Mac5.56
07-19-13, 21:57
For what it's worth and just to put the info out there, the one I picked up a little over a month ago from a major big box retailer has the two dimple barrel.

As far as the trigger goes, it is the weirdest trigger I own, all of the creep up to the point of tension is a little crunchy and weird feeling. But the break and reset are pretty spot on.

I notice it way more when I dry fire then when I shoot the gun.

Is the "gritty" feeling people complain about normally in the creep phase of the pull, or once you meet the trigger's resistance, because mine is smooth from that point on.

Razorhunter
07-19-13, 22:35
Mac,
Yes, all of the gritty feeling is in the initial take up, or as you call it, the creep of the pull. This is easily remedied by installing a very inexpensive Apex USB , or Ultimate Striker Block, which, unlike the stock S&W part, is rounded over instead of square. You can also polish the top most portion of the trigger bar that engages the USB, for an even smoother feel. If you don't already know, the USB is the little round silver "button" like part that depresses under spring tension when you push on it with your finger (or that depresses when the uppermost portion of the trigger pushes up on it, when the trigger is pulled). It's located on the underside of the slide. Remove the slide and you will see. These polymer guns are so easy to work on, its ridiculous. Good shooting my friend.

Mac5.56
07-19-13, 23:47
Mac,
Yes, all of the gritty feeling is in the initial take up, or as you call it, the creep of the pull. This is easily remedied by installing a very inexpensive Apex USB , or Ultimate Striker Block, which, unlike the stock S&W part, is rounded over instead of square. You can also polish the top most portion of the trigger bar that engages the USB, for an even smoother feel. If you don't already know, the USB is the little round silver "button" like part that depresses under spring tension when you push on it with your finger (or that depresses when the uppermost portion of the trigger pushes up on it, when the trigger is pulled). It's located on the underside of the slide. Remove the slide and you will see. These polymer guns are so easy to work on, its ridiculous. Good shooting my friend.

Thank you. I am very mechanically capable (I like to think... :) ), but I am reluctant to start messing with guns I just bought.

I worked as a metal polisher for years, can this polishing job be done easily by someone who is capable with tools?

Razorhunter
07-20-13, 11:28
Sure, jewellers rouge, or flitz would probably work via a dermal or foredom tool. A fine India stone works well too. Just smooth it up a little. Honestly tho, the Apex USB does 90% of the job. Every M&P owner must install this part. It's a necessity, along with an Apex RAM...