PDA

View Full Version : Best way to store an AR in the trunk?

Eurodriver
07-14-13, 18:59
Given my proximity to urban social unrest in central Florida and a commute that takes me right down the "Highway to the Danger Zone" I'm starting to think a G26 w/ 11 rounds may not be enough once the white guy in the Benz gets road blocked.

I'd prefer to keep the rifle assembled for obvious reasons, but I have a spare tire well with some room that I could keep it in two pieces and it would fit quite nicely, but not in a case.

I'd rather not have an SBR since it will live in the trunk (14.5" w/ perm FH max)

What do you guys use? Pelican case with foam cutout? Soft case? Ideally I'd be able to strap a soft case with velcro straps to the underside of the rear seat headrest (if this makes sense, the area underneath the rear window inside the trunk) but I haven't seen anything that wouldn't take extensive modification.

What I don't want is a rifle case sliding around my trunk for the next 10 years.

No issues with where to put magazines - there is a nifty little compartment right at the opening I could store up to 16 easily.

Ideas?

ETA could anyone tell me the length of an AR15 upper receiver with a 14.5" barrel and 1.5" FH? I only own SBRs

Pics.
http://i39.tinypic.com/viel41.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2uym6c1.jpg

GH41
07-14-13, 19:17
Given my proximity to urban social unrest in central Florida and a commute that takes me right down the "Highway to the Danger Zone" I'm starting to think a G26 w/ 11 rounds may not be enough once the white guy in the Benz gets road blocked.

I'd prefer to keep the rifle assembled for obvious reasons, but I have a spare tire well with some room that I could keep it in two pieces and it would fit quite nicely, but not in a case.

I'd rather not have an SBR since it will live in the trunk (14.5" w/ perm FH max)

What do you guys use? Pelican case with foam cutout? Soft case? Ideally I'd be able to strap a soft case with velcro straps to the underside of the rear seat headrest (if this makes sense, the area underneath the rear window inside the trunk) but I haven't seen anything that wouldn't take extensive modification.

What I don't want is a rifle case sliding around my trunk for the next 10 years.

No issues with where to put magazines - there is a nifty little compartment right at the opening I could store up to 16 easily.

Ideas?

ETA could anyone tell me the length of an AR15 upper receiver with a 14.5" barrel and 1.5" FH? I only own SBRs

Pics.
http://i39.tinypic.com/viel41.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2uym6c1.jpg

Why the freak would you want it in the trunk?? I can see it now... Give me a minute boys..my gun is in the trunk and in a case! I you feel that threatened ditch the Benz and wear a hoodie... Maybe some black camo on your face if you think being white is a problem. Get real! GH

cutter_spc
07-14-13, 19:19
If it were me, I would have it attached to roof of the trunk, no case, just some Velcro to strap it in. Might want to check an see just how legal that would be though. I would think that if your in a situation where you need a rifle, the last thing I would want to be doing is unzipping a case or worse yet putting an upper and lower together. I like the grab it and rack it approach.

Hope this helps.

Eurodriver
07-14-13, 19:22
Why the freak would you want it in the trunk?? I can see it now... Give me a minute boys..my gun is in the trunk and in a case! I you feel that threatened ditch the Benz and wear a hoodie... Maybe some black camo on your face if you think being white is a problem. Get real! GH

Where do you live? Just wondering...

If it were me, I would have it attached to roof of the trunk, no case, just some Velcro to strap it in. Might want to check an see just how legal that would be though. I would think that if your in a situation where you need a rifle, the last thing I would want to be doing is unzipping a case or worse yet putting an upper and lower together. I like the grab it and rack it approach.

Hope this helps.

I like this too. In Florida I don't think it is legal to keep a loaded long gun in the trunk. I'm not sure about the casing though. You're right, I don't want to be uncasing it but I don't want to break the law either. The law is "securely encased" but for some reason I feel that having it in a locked trunk counts as "securely encased".

Wake27
07-14-13, 19:22
I just measured my BCM 14.5 with BCM Comp at a fraction under 24 inches.

Eurodriver
07-14-13, 19:25
I just measured my BCM 14.5 with BCM Comp at a fraction under 24 inches.

Thanks a lot man. That helps.

SteveL
07-14-13, 19:26

Hope this helps.

The only problem with this approach IMO is that there would be no way around advertising to the world that you have an AR-15 in the trunk every time you have to open it. I'm sure you're not in there every day but still.....

Eurodriver
07-14-13, 19:27
The only problem with this approach IMO is that there would be no way around advertising to the world that you have an AR-15 in the trunk every time you have to open it. I'm sure you're not in there every day but still.....

The design of the trunk prevents that. You would have to be underneath the level of the trunk looking up into it in order to see the rifle.

ETA: I just walked out to the car and there is no way you could see a rifle hanging up there unless you were right behind the car bending over looking up into it.

1911-A1
07-14-13, 19:29
Just for giggles, consider a Krinkov-style AK. Mine fits in a small backpack with the stock folded.

That's one of the drawbacks of the AR system. It doesn't get that small without rendering it inop.

GH41
07-14-13, 19:39
"Where do you live? Just wondering..

Hilton Head. For what it is worth we probably have as much crime per capi ta as anywhere in the country. I still say a gun in the trunk is a ****ed up plan if you feel threatened! GH

Wake27
07-14-13, 19:41
Just for giggles, consider a Krinkov-style AK. Mine fits in a small backpack with the stock folded.

That's one of the drawbacks of the AR system. It doesn't get that small without rendering it inop.

Is that NFA? And with it being stored anywhere but the trunk, I'd be worried it'd be subject to the smash and grab crowd. And yes the trunk is not as accessible, but if you're carrying concealed, you use that to fight to your primary. Remember that most criminals don't expect to get shot back at by anyone by police.

fail wagon
07-14-13, 19:43
Why not an AR pistol? Can keep it loaded in the passenger compartment with your carry permit. Much easier than a long gun.

cutter_spc
07-14-13, 19:43
The law is "securely encased" but for some reason I feel that having it in a locked trunk counts as "securely encased".

That's the law in my state as well. The rifle must also be unloaded with the ammo stored in a different location, unless you cave a carry permit, then you can have a loaded rifle in your vehicle.

Badger89
07-14-13, 19:48
Why the freak would you want it in the trunk?? I can see it now... Give me a minute boys..my gun is in the trunk and in a case!
I'm gonna have to agree with GH41 on this one... I don't see how having it in the trunk, underneath the spare tire cover, potentially disassembled, would help you at all in any kind of situation where you might need it. If you live in a state where your concealed carry permit allows you to carry any type of weapon concealed (rather than just a pistol) I would opt to have the long accessible from the drivers seat... perhaps secure it to the back of the "60" section of the 60/40 folding rear seat if your vehicle has one. That way all you have to do is recline the drivers seat all the way (which would offer you cover/concealment anyway) and fold down the rear seat. Unhook the rifle and you're in business. Of course, as stated you would need a folding rear seat for this to work, and you would have to be able to fold it from the inside (they have to be folded from the trunk side in some vehicles). Otherwise throw it in a hard case in the back seat with a couple loaded mags in the case if the law in your state allows. Just my 2 cents.

cutter_spc
07-14-13, 19:53
I still say a gun in the trunk is a ****ed up plan if you feel threatened! GH

And I totally agree with this as well. I might have a AR in the trunk, but you had better believe I would have a full size handgun with enough mags up front with me.

Eurodriver
07-14-13, 19:54
I'm gonna have to agree with GH41 on this one... I don't see how having it in the trunk, underneath the spare tire cover, potentially disassembled, would help you at all in any kind of situation where you might need it. If you live in a state where your concealed carry permit allows you to carry any type of weapon concealed (rather than just a pistol) I would opt to have the long accessible from the drivers seat... perhaps secure it to the back of the "60" section of the 60/40 folding rear seat if your vehicle has one. That way all you have to do is recline the drivers seat all the way (which would offer you cover/concealment anyway) and fold down the rear seat. Unhook the rifle and you're in business. Of course, as stated you would need a folding rear seat for this to work, and you would have to be able to fold it from the inside (they have to be folded from the trunk side in some vehicles). Otherwise throw it in a hard case in the back seat with a couple loaded mags in the case if the law in your state allows. Just my 2 cents.

First, Florida law is very specific AGAINST having loaded long guns that are accessible in a vehicle. I can't find the specific statute (I'm trying) but basically if you have a loaded rifle in your passenger compartment you are going to the pokey. I'm still trying to find out if that applies to the trunk. The law says it must not be ready for immediate use OR securely encased with something that has a lid. The trunk has a lid, therefore it should be allowed to be stored securely encased.

Secondly, I will take having a long gun with me in the vehicle over not having one with anytime. Aside from getting my vehicle stolen (because smash and grabs rarely get inside the trunk, which is difficult to do on a Benz anyway) what am I risking by keeping it in the trunk? Its an option. An option I wouldn't have if I kept it at home in the safe.

ETA:

FL LAW 790.25 states:

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.––Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

The above says that you can have a rifle in your car anywhere BUT, it does not give you permission to have it concealed in the automobile. 790.01 does not exclude a rifle so you can, and will get arrested if it is concealed and not securely encased. The law is not clear but case law is and supports the above. To be legal with a rifle in your car it must NOT be "concealed from ordinary sight" unless its concealed because it is "securely encased" like in a gun case. A rifle clearly visible in a rack or just laying visibly on the seat should be legal but that still doesn't help me with it being in the trunk loaded. Unloaded should be okay because it is "not available for immediate use", but then again even loaded, in the trunk, it is "not available for immediate use".

I wonder how Florida LEOs feel about this. I'll call some of my buddies just to get some word from their perspective (although not legally binding, its a good starting point)

Wake27
07-14-13, 19:58
Secondly, I will take having a long gun with me in the vehicle over not having one with anytime. Aside from getting my vehicle stolen (because smash and grabs rarely get inside the trunk, which is difficult to do on a Benz anyway) what am I risking by keeping it in the trunk? Its an option. An option I wouldn't have if I kept it at home in the safe.

I thought there was discussion about strapping it to the roof or somewhere else in the vehicle aside from the trunk, hence the smash and grab comment.

SteveL
07-14-13, 20:11
The design of the trunk prevents that. You would have to be underneath the level of the trunk looking up into it in order to see the rifle.

ETA: I just walked out to the car and there is no way you could see a rifle hanging up there unless you were right behind the car bending over looking up into it.

Misunderstanding on my part. I thought you were talking about attaching it to the inside of the trunk lid, where it would be visible if the trunk was opened. I see where you're talking about now.

Are you in the Orlando area?

You've also given me cause to look into FL law a bit more because I was under the impression that with a FL CCW permit that you were G2G with a loaded weapon in the vehicle with you, regardless of whether it's a handgun or a long gun.

Skyyr
07-14-13, 20:27
Get one of these:
http://www.faxonfirearms.com/c/1/arak-21-upper-receivers

And one of these:
http://riflestocks.com/store/product36.html

Fit it anywhere you want.

Badger89
07-14-13, 20:34
FL LAW 790.25 states:

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.––Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

The above says that you can have a rifle in your car anywhere BUT, it does not give you permission to have it concealed in the automobile. 790.01 does not exclude a rifle so you can, and will get arrested if it is concealed and not securely encased. The law is not clear but case law is and supports the above. To be legal with a rifle in your car it must NOT be "concealed from ordinary sight" unless its concealed because it is "securely encased" like in a gun case. A rifle clearly visible in a rack or just laying visibly on the seat should be legal but that still doesn't help me with it being in the trunk loaded. Unloaded should be okay because it is "not available for immediate use", but then again even loaded, in the trunk, it is "not available for immediate use".
Ignoring my opinion on how horribly written that statute is, I would say figuring out how the state defines "securely encased" would be a good start. Here in Wisconsin, a firearm is considered "securely encased" as long as it is enclosed in any kind of case and unloaded. The "case" does not need to be locked and can be something as simple as a gun sock or zippered soft case. Unloaded is defined as not having any ammunition in the firearm itself, but does not preclude storing ammunition in the case with the firearm, or storing loaded magazines in the case with the firearm, as long as their is not a loaded mag in the gun. If Florida law is similar to Wisconsin law in that aspect, I'd say your best bet would be keeping the rifle and a handful of loaded mags in a case that is easily accessible (i.e. not locked). Whether you keep said case in the trunk or inside the passenger compartment shouldn't matter at that point.

hotrodder636
07-14-13, 20:39
"Where do you live? Just wondering..

Hilton Head. For what it is worth we probably have as much crime per capi ta as anywhere in the country. I still say a gun in the trunk is a ****ed up plan if you feel threatened! GH

So, do you have a solution or suggestion or just here to shit in the thread? Obviously you KNOW Florida law, so...

gun71530
07-14-13, 20:45
Ignoring my opinion on how horribly written that statute is, I would say figuring out how the state defines "securely encased" would be a good start. Here in Wisconsin, a firearm is considered "securely encased" as long as it is enclosed in any kind of case and unloaded. The "case" does not need to be locked and can be something as simple as a gun sock or zippered soft case. Unloaded is defined as not having any ammunition in the firearm itself, but does not preclude storing ammunition in the case with the firearm, or storing loaded magazines in the case with the firearm, as long as their is not a loaded mag in the gun. If Florida law is similar to Wisconsin law in that aspect, I'd say your best bet would be keeping the rifle and a handful of loaded mags in a case that is easily accessible (i.e. not locked). Whether you keep said case in the trunk or inside the passenger compartment shouldn't matter at that point.

The law has changed, as long as the firearm is unloaded, you don't need a case.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Ryno12
07-14-13, 20:59

Not to get side tracked but, Badger, you are aware we (WI) don't have to have long guns cased for transport anymore, right? They just have to be unloaded. This was effective Nov 1 2011, when our CCW went into effect.

ETA: Someone beat me to it.

Sent via Tapatalk

midSCarolina
07-14-13, 21:38

This is what i was about to suggest... even a side folding or underfolding nonNFA AK.

Everyone knows what the AK brings

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/thornejc23/05ca1806-503f-462b-82b8-abddeeeef715_zps690c5d30.jpg

opdsgt
07-14-13, 21:49
The idea of leaving a firearm in a motor vehicle makes me a little green around the gills, unless the owner is willing to invest in a Truck Vault or similar purpose built container. Cars get stolen, cars get broken into, guns wind up on the street...

Wake27
07-14-13, 21:51
This is what i was about to suggest... even a side folding or underfolding nonNFA AK.

Everyone knows what the AK brings

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/thornejc23/05ca1806-503f-462b-82b8-abddeeeef715_zps690c5d30.jpg

A notorious and infamous reputation as being used by commies, terrorists, and all other enemies of the US.

midSCarolina
07-14-13, 21:54
A notorious and infamous reputation as being used by commies, terrorists, and all other enemies of the US.

And that makes it a poor choice because... Everyone knows what an AK is so its presence would definitely be known and a few guys with hi points and 38s might not want to stick around to see what happens. And your goal should be to avoid having to shoot it out right? In my experience most of these guys are just trying to intimidate you and will stand down when met with the threat of force.

MistWolf
07-14-13, 22:08
Some of you guys way over think this. What would you rather have? A rifle with some assembly required or no rifle at all? I lived in California a good many years where getting a permit to carry concealed is nearly impossible and are pretty strict as to what constitutes a loaded firearm. A handgun in a case that still needed a mag inserted was better than going unarmed and beat going to jail and losing the pistol if searched. Being searched was a very real possibility. I've been searched at least twice because the officer saw a pair of ear muffs in my car. A firearm carried within the limits of the law is better than being unarmed or being arrested.

As far as smash & grab goes, are you telling me you carry nothing of value in your vehicle? Nothing at all? Why is anyone worried about leaving a rifle inside the vehicle all the time? Is your EDC handgun left in the car all the time? Or do you take it into the house when you get home? When I carry a rifle with me, I take it inside with me. It's not that difficult.

Eurodriver, find out what constitutes a loaded rifle. In Utah, an unloaded weapon means it requires two actions to fire, such as racking the slide and pulling the trigger (deactivating the safety, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't count). Loading the mag, racking the slide and pulling the trigger is three, for example. If it's legal, put the rifle in a backpack, maybe something like a Sneaky Bag, along with a loaded mag and keep it in the passenger compartment with you. If there is trouble, unzip the bag, retrieve the rifle and load it. Practice this to be sure you can pull it off. If it doesn't work, find another solution. Keep it simple. When you get home, or when appropriate, take the rifle out of the vehicle for safe keeping.

Of course, keeping yourself and your family safe will require more than simply keeping a rifle and handgun with you. Learn to look for trouble and try to always have an exit plan. That's one reason I never drive too close to the vehicle ahead and keep well back when coming to a stop. I also keep my car positioned so that the lane to my left and right stays clear whenever possible

Wormydog1724
07-14-13, 22:17
Some of you guys way over think this. What would you rather have? A rifle with some assembly required or no rifle at all? I lived in California a good many years where getting a permit to carry concealed is nearly impossible and are pretty strict as to what constitutes a loaded firearm. A handgun in a case that still needed a mag inserted was better than going unarmed and beat going to jail and losing the pistol if searched. Being searched was a very real possibility. I've been searched at least twice because the officer saw a pair of ear muffs in my car. A firearm carried within the limits of the law is better than being unarmed or being arrested.

As far as smash & grab goes, are you telling me you carry nothing of value in your vehicle? Nothing at all? Why is anyone worried about leaving a rifle inside the vehicle all the time? Is your EDC handgun left in the car all the time? Or do you take it into the house when you get home? When I carry a rifle with me, I take it inside with me. It's not that difficult.

Eurodriver, find out what constitutes a loaded rifle. In Utah, an unloaded weapon means it requires two actions to fire, such as racking the slide and pulling the trigger (deactivating the safety, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't count). Loading the mag, racking the slide and pulling the trigger is three, for example. If it's legal, put the rifle in a backpack, maybe something like a Sneaky Bag, along with a loaded mag and keep it in the passenger compartment with you. If there is trouble, unzip the bag, retrieve the rifle and load it. Practice this to be sure you can pull it off. If it doesn't work, find another solution. Keep it simple.

Of course, keeping yourself and your family safe will require more than simply keeping a rifle and handgun with you. Learn to look for trouble and try to always have an exit plan. That's one reason I never drive too close to the vehicle ahead and keep well back when coming to a stop. I also keep my car positioned so that the lane to my left and right stays clear whenever possible

This is how posts are supposed to be on this site.

Take all the other shit to TOS.

Thank you for your insight MistWolf.

lunchbox
07-14-13, 22:28
Just get couple 33rd mags for glock 26. If things start to go south just pop in 33-rounder fun stick. A lot easier drivin with weapon too(I'd imagine), and can stay in safty of car. Still keep the rifle in the trunk if ya want, the 33rds of HP will give you time to walk(not run) to trunk.. I seem to remember a joke about 2 bulls that could be applied:D.

I-M4-REAL
07-14-13, 22:42
That's the law in my state as well. The rifle must also be unloaded with the ammo stored in a different location, unless you cave a carry permit, then you can have a loaded rifle in your vehicle.

I'm glad there's no laws like that in my state. You can have a loaded gun in your vehicle and use it to protect yourself while inside the vehicle at any time w/o a carry permit. You read or see it on local T.V. when some old guy sitting at the ATM blasts some wanna be gang banger :ph34r:tying to rob him! That's a good law imho.

Badger89
07-14-13, 22:45
The law has changed, as long as the firearm is unloaded, you don't need a case.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Not to get side tracked but, Badger, you are aware we (WI) don't have to have long guns cased for transport anymore, right? They just have to be unloaded. This was effective Nov 1 2011, when our CCW went into effect.

ETA: Someone beat me to it.

Sent via Tapatalk
Nope, didn't know that. I finished up my LE schooling in May of 2011 and have honestly been too busy not getting a job in the field (read: applying/testing/interviewing, working OT and multiple lower wage jobs instead) to keep up with everything. Thanks for the heads up. Am I correct in inferring that this applies only to long guns, not pistols?

Sorry for the thread jack. Back on topic.

goodoleboy
07-14-13, 22:51
Consider a Racket Bag... Blackhawk makes a soft case disguised as a racket bag. I wouldn't carry it in the trunk, but in the passanger floorboard. I would still carry a handgun to fend off any attackers while you went for the AR in the bag.

nateebumpo
07-14-13, 22:51
Have you checked what constitutes. "Long gun" and what constitutes a "firearm" in fl.? In pa. sbr,sbs and such are considered "firearms" which lumps them in with handguns and allows concealed carry and loaded transport as such. Not a laywer just something to look into as im not up on fla. Laws.

STONE-YARDER
07-14-13, 22:58
Get 3 of these and call it a day. http://www.glockstore.com/glock-factory-magazines/high-capacity-magazines

ZINCOGNITO
07-14-13, 23:03
I'm glad there's no laws like that in my state. You can have a loaded gun in your vehicle and use it to protect yourself while inside the vehicle at any time w/o a carry permit. You read or see it on local T.V. when some old guy sitting at the ATM blasts some wanna be gang banger :ph34r:tying to rob him! That's a good law imho.

What state is that?

Iraqgunz
07-14-13, 23:56
Numerous discussions about this and "truck/trunk guns" in general.