PDA

View Full Version : Review: Rainier Arms Raptor Ambidextrous Charging Handle

Quiet Riot
07-14-13, 21:07
I've already come to realize that anything Rainier Arms does is top notch, and the Raptor is no exception. It is extremely well-made, and it is much more useful than I imagined it would be before I started using it.

I compare the Raptor to a USGI charging handle, a PRI Gasbuster, and a BCM Gunfighter Mod4. As you will see, the Raptor really isn't that much bigger than other improved charging handles, yet it has features that others do not. (I wish I had other ambis to compare it to, but I do not.)

A USGI charging handle gets the job done just fine most of the time, but if you're in the market for an improved charging handle, the Raptor deserves a hard look even if you aren't thinking you want something ambidextrous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BRQWsNTfy0

Tonyparson
07-14-13, 21:41
As always great video. 👍👍

justin_247
07-14-13, 22:08
Very professional video! You sold me on the Raptor, and you just got a new subscriber to your channel.

Keep up the great work!

Tonyparson
07-14-13, 22:18
Very professional video! You sold me on the Raptor, and you just got a new subscriber to your channel.

Keep up the great work!

I agree, I'm ordering one too. All his videos are professional.

Cylinder Head
07-14-13, 22:35
I have one and it is a fantastic piece. Works perfectly with an ambi AR.

blgjr64
07-14-13, 22:36
Agreed. Very good video!

I have ordered from Rainier Arms multiple times and love their service.

I have always used the BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 and love it. And I have always eyeballed the Raptor but after seeing that very well done, informative video I am considering it. I really like the ease for press checks.

I know in the video it talks about the reliability of the design, but has anyone used both the BCM Gunfighter and the Raptor with heavy use and prefer one or the other? I know Rainier Arms makes great products but I am interested in hearing from others before I make the purchase.

STONE-YARDER
07-14-13, 22:50
"I wish I had other ambis to compare it to, but I do not." Rainier arms is a great company and their ambi CH is no exception. I was on the fence about getting one until these came out. http://www.lwrci.com/p-335-ambidextrous-charging-handle.aspx

I just bought 2 of these and they are rock solid and work extremely well.

Edward_Tz
07-14-13, 22:51
Agreed. Very good video!

I have ordered from Rainier Arms multiple times and love their service.

I have always used the BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 and love it. And I have always eyeballed the Raptor but after seeing that very well done, informative video I am considering it. I really like the ease for press checks.

I know in the video it talks about the reliability of the design, but has anyone used both the BCM Gunfighter and the Raptor with heavy use and prefer one or the other? I know Rainier Arms makes great products but I am interested in hearing from others before I make the purchase.
That's my one criticism of the video. A comparison with another ambi charging handle would be nice.

I have one of the first run Raptors. it's been great but I haven't been torturing it. AXTS has put a few through a million + cycles with out failure. Also I believe the new charging handles are all aluminum. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

And to the folks looking to buy, go through Aim or AXTS. They have free shipping.

Badger89
07-14-13, 22:55
Great video! Very refreshing to see a video of reasonable length that isn't chuck full of "ummms" and "uhhhhhs". Very smooth, very informative, and very professional. Thank you!

Oh, and you also sold me on the Raptor. :)

KrampusArms
07-15-13, 00:40
Ha HA HA!

I actually watched your video, before seeing this thread. Being as I'm subscribed.

Like your videos a lot man. Your Pmag video was great too. Keep making them!

DJ_Skinny
07-15-13, 01:54
I agree with everyone above that said it's a well-made and professional video. I appreciate the features that you pointed out, and you made me realize why I "need" a new CH. I thank you... and my wallet hates you.

PS... I don't personally see a $15 difference in the Raptor vs. the LWRC someone posted above.

RyanB
07-15-13, 01:58
The Raptor is hands down the best charging handle out there. It can't pinch you like a gunfighter, it won't break like putting a latch on a GI handle, your finger won't come loose of it like a PRI. It's like it's on ball bearings.

Benito
07-15-13, 18:23
I have an ambi BCM. Love it. The Raptor looks very solid too. Haven't had a chance to try out the Raptor.
I'd love to see a 7.62 ambi charging handle. Not just for lefties. I'm a righty, and the long pull needed for the 7.62x51 action makes it a real bitch to pull back over the top when in the prone. An ambi would let you pull it palm up from the right. Hope that makes sense.

Edward_Tz
07-15-13, 18:25
I have an ambi BCM. Love it. The Raptor looks very solid too. Haven't had a chance to try out the Raptor.
I'd love to see a 7.62 ambi charging handle. Not just for lefties. I'm a righty, and the long pull needed for the 7.62x51 action makes it a real bitch to pull back over the top when in the prone. An ambi would let you pull it palm up from the right. Hope that makes sense.

There's a 7.62 Raptor.

Don Robison
07-15-13, 18:27

They have a 308 Raptor if it ever gets back in stock. I've been waiting on one for my MWS.
I have a couple of both the BCM-44 and the Raptor, I like them both, but if I had to pick one it would be the Raptor.

SilverBullet432
07-15-13, 18:58
suscribed as well! i really like the design of this handle! it has a nice bite on the latch to grab on to. thats why i have the gunfighter mod 3 handle, a nice big grab, but since i like to shoot lefty as well this is certainly a product to consider!!!

Dobie
07-15-13, 19:19
I got a Raptor last week and didn't get to shoot this weekend but ran some manipulations and it was smooth. I shoot rifles lefty and the Raptor and the Battle Arms ambi safety are a must.
Good video.

Boba Fett v2
07-15-13, 19:41
Nice video review. Looks like I'll have to pick up the RA Raptor then.

ROSS4712
07-15-13, 20:25
I teach and train about 80% of the year. I had been using BCM GF Mod4's for a long time. DSG Arms turned me onto the Raptor and after using it for a few weeks I replaced all my GF's with the Raptors.

They are a little easier on the hands if you're not wearing any gloves. They run as well as the GF's and both are bullet proof designs which took every bit of pounding I could give them. I haven't had a problem with either design.

I am an ambi shooter and always run my guns left and right handed. The Raptor really turned my way of thinking about how much easier and more functional a left handed shooter I have become. I can operate the weapon just as easily left as right now and that thing is built like a tank.

I never got a chance to try out the BCM ambi but I am sure it'll be just as functionally sound as the rest of the GF line.

I'm sold on the Raptor and would be hard pressed to recommend or switch to another style of charging handle now. In fact I recommend it to all of my students and fellow swat officers regardless of being left or right handed. It would work just efficiently for either and will give you a lifetime of use.

I've ran one for better than a year in my city issued FA which is my full time duty and training rifle. The only issue I have seen with the Raptor vs. the GF is that the finish on the Raptor has worn quite a bit more than I would've expected. Not that its a major issue. It doesn't affect the functioning and reliability of the handle at all just the look. Other than that one thing it has been relatively flawless.

I'm not big on hanging everything and the kitchen sink on my guns. I keep them clean and everything I need; irons, optics, lights, lasers, run at 12 o'clock. I'm still old school and prefer fixed irons, M3/ML3's, and simple easy lights like the X300Ultra and the WML. I'm not big on picking up every new thing that hits the block and trying it out. I like the way I've always run my guns and I keep gear, equipment and weapons simple. Not that I couldn't run without it but if I have the choice the first chance I got I'll put a Raptor on every gun I own from now on out.

Seamus
07-15-13, 21:02
Thanks for a nicely done video, wish more YouTube reviews were of that quality.

Rharp
07-15-13, 21:08
I want one of these! I'm still on spouse probation from buying my scope, though.... Damn the luck!

djegators
07-15-13, 21:17
Glad to see the positive reviews. I am currently building an AR for my gf, and I am taking the opportunity to test out a few add-ons and upgrades, and the Raptor is the one I have been most looking forward to.

Korgs130
07-15-13, 22:19
Nicely done on the video. I switched out the BCM GF Mod 4's on both my AR's for Raptors. I ran one of them during a 2 day carbine class in the spring. It's rock solid.

Zane1844
07-15-13, 23:41
I love my Raptor Ch. I shoot left handed and it was one of the best upgrades for me besides the Battle Arms ambi safety.

FWIW, I prefer the Raptor to the BCM Ambi. I have both. But the BCM works fine. I just like the bigger latches on the Raptor, and it seems simpler.

LoveAR
07-18-13, 22:04
Ordered one today. Thanks!

philpac33
07-19-13, 01:52
I have to agree that the Raptor is the finest charging handle on the market today. Feels so solid and allows the user to manipulate it any way you choose. Rainier Arms has never disappointed me with anything of theirs that I've used. My 16" Select barrel is outstanding.

Sentaruu
07-19-13, 05:54
solid review, nice work

I love my raptor!

djmorris
07-19-13, 17:24
You got a new subscriber. Love your show. Very professional - keep it up!!

Dobie
07-19-13, 18:50
Got my second raptor in the mail today. Solid upgrade

Vulture38
07-19-13, 19:14
Another one who is impressed. Well done Sir.

PCFIVEZ
07-20-13, 09:01
got one for my setup. it's smooth as butter! well worth the $$$.

Duffy
07-20-13, 09:36
Would any of you like to see a version with solid latches? ;)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/Untitled-9.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Duffypoo/media/Untitled-9.jpg.html)

Quiet Riot
07-21-13, 06:49
I'm glad people found the review helpful. I like this CH more and more each time I shoot, and I plan on replacing the CHs on my other rifles with Raptors as budget allows.

SteveL
07-21-13, 09:06
Thanks for the excellent review. Your videos are always informative and well put together without a lot of wasted time and fluff.

As for the Raptor, I've been thinking about switching to one for a while now. My buddy who has a gun store has one that's been hanging on the shelf for a while now and it's been bugging me lately that it's still on that shelf and not in my rifle.

Duffy is that an early prototype test unit?

Wormydog1724
07-21-13, 09:23
Good review video.

I too can vouch for the Raptor. I've had one on my 10.3" SBR upper for about 800 rounds of Tula. There's just something about having a solid latch to grab on to and the smooth, solid feel you get when you work it. It is similar to my BCM GF CH's, but for me I like the Raptor's latches better. They're larger, more surface area to make contact with, and just have a better overall feel. I'd love to replace all my CH's with Raptor's, but as many have already said, the price is the only thing stopping me for now.

trinydex
10-11-13, 16:14
i finally bought one of these. as a left hander i feel like this is what the ar15 should have originally been designed with.

now if there were only a way to make the bolt catch ambidextrous.

bzdog
10-11-13, 23:25
i finally bought one of these. as a left hander i feel like this is what the ar15 should have originally been designed with.

AX556?

trinydex
10-11-13, 23:29
AX556?

I'd rather get a kac because it has more major market acceptance. but a retrofit that is easy to make all the lowers our there ambi that would be more awesome

J4ggy
10-11-13, 23:34

Take a look at Seekins Precision lowers for ambi bolt catch.

Singlestack Wonder
10-11-13, 23:38
The rifle in the video could use some staking on the castle nut.

Mall_Ninja
10-12-13, 02:30
I like the Raptor over the BCM. Much larger roll pins and larger catches...

Dan_93SER
10-12-13, 04:37
I like the professionalism of your videos. Subscribed!

Panoptes
10-12-13, 09:22
Is there any particular reason why AR manufacturers haven't provided ambi charging handles as standard? It seems like an obvious evolutionary step which has been missed for years?...

thehun
10-12-13, 09:23
Cost my friend...Cost 99% of American do not get top tier ARs.

Panoptes
10-12-13, 09:34
I'm not sugesting they supply Rainier ones! ;)

Surely a basic ambi wouldn't be prohibitively expensive?

TriggerTX
10-12-13, 20:03
I had been using the PRI Gas Buster for years, one trip to Iraq and one to AFG without an issue. Great, rigid handle.

I'm currently here in AFG again and have been using the Raptor for over 6 months now and I have already ordered 2 more from Rainier that are now sitting at my house waiting for the scunion. Awesome charging handle!

mrvip27
10-12-13, 20:37
Just ordered mine. :D

coastwatcher42
10-13-13, 00:34
Great video...very informative. I have been sitting on the fence about a Raptor but your video made up my mind.

Henok
10-13-13, 05:16
I picked up one of these for my DDM4 and I'm so glad I did. It's well made and works great.

Krusty783
10-14-13, 06:35
I upgraded a few months ago to the raptor from the BCM CH that came with my upper. I was on the fence for awhile, but it was definitely worth it.

I can operate the raptor with my weak hand while maintaining a grip with my strong hand and the raptor feels a lot stouter than the std ch I have. It got a lot of use running through some under-powered Herter's ammo (FTFs) and I'm happy with it.

I may even pick one up for my LPR...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

dcnyli
10-14-13, 06:39
great video! I have been curious about this CH for some time and this was an expensive video for me now :)

Quiet Riot
10-14-13, 15:36
Thanks, everyone! I can't recommend this CH enough. In making over 90 videos, I haven't come across any other product that impressed me as much as the Raptor does. It really is in a class by itself in both function and design.

EB-SF
11-08-13, 17:44
Great video! I've been thinking about buying a Raptor for my AR and now after watching your review I definitely will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

neodecker
02-17-14, 03:17
I know the threads been dead for about 4 months. I just wanted to say your video was the deciding factor in my purchase of the Raptor, And I love it!

Quiet Riot
02-17-14, 04:19
I'm glad you found the video helpful!

Griz22
02-17-14, 04:21
Thank you quiet riot! I was looking to upgrade and was between bcm and the raptor. Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

discreet
02-17-14, 14:49
Raptors are the only CH's I bother with for me. BCM's go on all others, but Raptors for myself. There is no comparison to anything else on the market. Absolutely best in class, and IMO one of the best upgrades for any ar (pending the ar actually works with it, as some are known not to).

maestro
02-17-14, 15:33
So what has happened to the supply of Raptors? I've had one on order from Brownell's for a while. Rainier doesn't even have them in stock. Where'd they all go??

ScatmanCrothers
02-17-14, 15:48
So what has happened to the supply of Raptors? I've had one on order from Brownell's for a while. Rainier doesn't even have them in stock. Where'd they all go?? tradingplacepawn.com Legit company with great CS. 3 in stock.

neodecker
02-18-14, 04:13
got mine on Amazon.

Glock30
02-18-14, 06:54
got mine on Amazon.

amazon! arghhhh I hope its the real deal. Take a good look at it against the url/link below I would advise purchasing it from an autorized(sp) dealer next time.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?147054-Beware-improved-FAKE-Rainier-Raptor-Charging-Handles-have-been-released

...and just to stay on topic..... this is an awesome design by Rainier Arms. Love the Ambi CH

neodecker
02-18-14, 23:48
amazon! arghhhh I hope its the real deal. Take a good look at it against the url/link below I would advise purchasing it from an autorized(sp) dealer next time.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?147054-Beware-improved-FAKE-Rainier-Raptor-Charging-Handles-have-been-released

...and just to stay on topic..... this is an awesome design by Rainier Arms. Love the Ambi CH
I guess I lucked out mine seems to be real. At least compared to the pics on the other thread.

SiGfever
03-17-14, 15:04
Thanks for a great video as always!

Picked mine up on ebay Sat for $85.45 (free shipping) and it arrived today, great piece of kit. Mine is just replacing the standard CH.

quaesitor logica
03-17-14, 18:32
I bought a couple from Rainier. One was a Raptor but they only had one of those and the other was marked "ARMS COLLECTIVE" It was identical in price and construction to the Raptor. Both great looking and functional upgrades.

Artifact
03-17-14, 18:44
Great video, I have two of them and like them better to the BCM Gunfighter ones.

llO0DQLE
04-17-14, 13:01
Help me decide between this and the BCM ambi CH. I know a lot of people have said the Raptor is the best and some have said they liked it better than the BCM but I'd like to know why. BCM is quite a bit cheaper right now so I'm on the fence between the two.

Snipe315
04-18-14, 00:37
Help me decide between this and the BCM ambi CH. I know a lot of people have said the Raptor is the best and some have said they liked it better than the BCM but I'd like to know why. BCM is quite a bit cheaper right now so I'm on the fence between the two.

I had several BCM Gunfighters (Medium, non-ambi). They were very good but could pinch your finger on occasion.

The Raptors feel smoother, stronger, and won't pinch you. IMHO, they are in all ways better than the BCMs & worth every penny.

Korgs130
04-18-14, 09:51
I had several BCM Gunfighters (Medium, non-ambi). They were very good but could pinch your finger on occasion.

The Raptors feel smoother, stronger, and won't pinch you. IMHO, they are in all ways better than the BCMs & worth every penny.

I agree 100%.

mikeith
04-18-14, 14:01

Agreed, I've run both and now run the raptor on all rifles. It's easily the best CH out, they should just make one that blocks gas similar to a gas buster

JasonDTM
04-18-14, 16:07
Agreed, I've run both and now run the raptor on all rifles. It's easily the best CH out, they should just make one that blocks gas similar to a gas buster

http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/do-it-yourself-gas-buster-charging-handle

Have you tried this? :)

mikeith
04-18-14, 16:52
I did but it didn't hold up long. Looking more permanent/robust solution

discreet
04-19-14, 00:30
I guess I lucked out mine seems to be real. At least compared to the pics on the other thread.

The seller on Amazon that sells Northtech Defense stuff carries legit raptors. I forgot his account name. He's one of Northtech's dealers and is 100% legit.

I'd steer clear of anyone else on amazon for anything gun wise asides from meaningless stuff like engraved magpul stuff, ejection port doors, or nc star crap LOL. Even though there has been some knockoff NCstar crap going around which is even more worse than the already horrible crap that NCstar puts out.

ROG Tactical
04-19-14, 13:59
Just a heads up to all...

I just received my monthly allotment of Raptors from Rainier Arms and this latest batch does not have the Rainier Arms logo engraved on the backside. So, if you are buying a Raptor now, keep in mind that just because it does not have the engraving on the back, does not mean it is a counterfeit. If you are unsure of a seller of Raptors, you can always contact Rainier to see if they are an authorized dealer.

djegators
04-20-14, 00:25
Just a heads up to all...

I just received my monthly allotment of Raptors from Rainier Arms and this latest batch does not have the Rainier Arms logo engraved on the backside. So, if you are buying a Raptor now, keep in mind that just because it does not have the engraving on the back, does not mean it is a counterfeit. If you are unsure of a seller of Raptors, you can always contact Rainier to see if they are an authorized dealer.

Or you order direct from AXTS like we do...not sure that Rainier would know that or not. Good advice though on buying only from reputable sources.

llO0DQLE
04-20-14, 15:46

I agree 100%.

Thanks for the input. I am sold! lol

New Centurion
04-21-14, 20:33
Got one from ROG Tactical a few weeks ago. Lowest price I've seen, can't recall what the sale occasion was, and fast shipping from the West Coast. Very happy with it. It excels in what it doesn't do compared to a stock CH, which was chew up my hand during stoppage drills. I'm getting soft in my old age...

srsbiz
04-22-14, 12:02
Great video. Glad I got one

Aimtrue531
04-24-14, 12:27
I have one of these and absolutely love it! Great video.

3is
04-24-14, 12:51
is it worth double the price of a bcm gun fighter...I got one as a gift and I like it a lot. would i ever buy one?...I'll stick with the BCM.

SiGfever
05-01-14, 10:33
Just a heads up Primary Arms has them for $69.99 with coupon code "Raptor20" today.

sadmin
05-01-14, 12:05
Just a heads up Primary Arms has them for $69.99 with coupon code "Raptor20" today.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomMcC
05-01-14, 16:07
Bummer, sold out.

GregP220
05-01-14, 18:34
I've had my Raptor for a couple months and I like it more than I expected to.

Kudos on the videos, you and MAC and Mr Gunsandgear are 3 of the best on YouTube.

New Centurion
05-01-14, 20:16
ROGTac has them for $69.99, w/free shipping. Even better than the deal I got from them a couple weeks ago. It got from West Coast to East Coast in 2 days. If any of you are on the fence, now is the time. Great product, great dealer.

***Edit:Out of stock now.

usmcvet
06-08-15, 14:54
Thanks, everyone! I can't recommend this CH enough. In making over 90 videos, I haven't come across any other product that impressed me as much as the Raptor does. It really is in a class by itself in both function and design.

I enjoy your videos. Keep up the good work. I ordered one for myself from my LGS. Looking forward to trying it out.