PDA

View Full Version : Lost Glock question and FYI

Devildawg2531
07-14-13, 22:27
Friday I was kayaking with some coworkers which we do a few times a year. I was CCW my Glock 27 in a OWB holster. Long story short I dumped out of my kayak going through a waterfall and was pushed through the remainder of it on my butt catching hidden boulders with my legs and trying not to hit any headfirst. When I got to calmer waters my Glock was gone it had came out during the waterfall. I searched the bottom for a few minutes by feel as I couldn't see anything but the current was way too strong to effectively search. The concensus was the pistol would never be found or as 1 of the engineers said may be if we could get a large magnet ... (uhh no).

I had kayaked many times with my G27 with no issue so the lesson part of this if you think you MIGHT get dumped use a retention holster or other.

Since the gun is EXTREMELY unlikely to ever be found - Question is there a need and to who should I report this? I'm the original purchaser around 1995 so have the serial # etc.

WC 2-3
07-14-13, 22:30
Probably to whatever local PD/Sheriff is in that area.

lunchbox
07-14-13, 22:38
Probably to whatever local PD/Sheriff is in that area.Reporting as lost prob. wouldn't be a bad idea, plus it would give record protecting you just in case.. Sorry about Glock.

KrampusArms
07-15-13, 00:50
Man my sympathies.

I would report it. And be in my damn swimming suit looking for it.

I wish you the best of luck in reacquiring your gun Sincerely.

PA PATRIOT
07-15-13, 01:35
The weight of the loaded Glock should keep the pistol in a small confined space on the bottom, depending on the depth and area maybe you can hire a driver to search the area which should not take all that much time.

I would report the pistol lost to the jurisdiction which covers that area.

okie john
07-15-13, 02:22
Sorry for your loss.

Try this: http://www.tacticaltailor.com/qrpistollanyard.aspx

My brother-in-law and I hunt on an island. A few months before Opening Day several years ago, I gave him a very nice Mauser sporter in 30/06. He zeroed it and spent the summer getting trained up, then lost in 300' of saltwater when a wave hit his boat on the way over.

Guns don't float.

Okie John

MistWolf
07-15-13, 03:13
CYA. Report it's loss. If you are a life member of the NRA, it may be at least partially covered by their insurance

gunnut284
07-15-13, 09:23
Depending on how the river is fed it may be much slower/shallower/nearly dry at certain times. I know of a couple that are dam controlled that vary greatly. You might find that if you come back at a later time the area will be much more searchable.

JohnH189
07-15-13, 09:42
Report it lost to the LE agency with jurisdiction. If someone finds it and turns it in, you should be able to get it back from whatever agency it is turned in to.

ST911
07-15-13, 10:58
Report the gun lost to your local LE agency.

Approach your local diving club or swift water rescue folks and offer a $100 reward for the first person to find it.

Maineshooter
07-15-13, 14:19
The advice to report it lost is correct. The police will flag it in NCIC as lost and on the off chance it is ever recovered you will get it back. Also, if it is ever recovered by someone not so honest and used in a crime you are good to go.

CleverNickname
07-17-13, 09:35
Yeah right, you lost your gun in a "boating accident". I've never heard that story on an internet discussion board before. ;)

Abraxas
07-17-13, 10:25
Approach your local diving club or swift water rescue folks and offer a $100 reward for the first person to find it.

There is a great idea.

steyrman13
07-17-13, 11:20
Friday I was kayaking with some coworkers which we do a few times a year. I was CCW my Glock 27 in a OWB holster. Long story short I dumped out of my kayak going through a waterfall and was pushed through the remainder of it on my butt catching hidden boulders with my legs and trying not to hit any headfirst. When I got to calmer waters my Glock was gone it had came out during the waterfall. I searched the bottom for a few minutes by feel as I couldn't see anything but the current was way too strong to effectively search. The concensus was the pistol would never be found or as 1 of the engineers said may be if we could get a large magnet ... (uhh no).

I had kayaked many times with my G27 with no issue so the lesson part of this if you think you MIGHT get dumped use a retention holster or other.

Since the gun is EXTREMELY unlikely to ever be found - Question is there a need and to who should I report this? I'm the original purchaser around 1995 so have the serial # etc.

I have a similar story except in a canoe. However, I was wearing a serpa holster so it secured the pistol, but I guess somehow the mag release was bumped and lost my mag. It was sad to see it go, but was glad to see I had the more important part still. Sorry for your loss.
On another note, pistol lanyards are used in the military (think hi-speed) for this very reason. A second precaution of retention. As others have stated depending on the flow of the river it might dry up enough to go back and check for it.

robotoid
07-17-13, 18:17
True story, because I ended up reassembling this gun after it was vibra tank cleaned. Buddy lost a S&W 44 mag out of his backpack while trail riding quads. Reported it to the local sheriff. It was turned in to the sheriff a few weeks later. Apparently someone riding same trails found it half buried in sand. The person who turned it in "claimed" that all 6 rounds had already been shot when it was found. At least he got it back.

6Actual
01-06-14, 20:08
As a commercial diver by trade
I can tell you it will probably you run you at least $100 per hour for the search with no guaranteed results. Meaning that he will search and likely find it but there is never a guarantee.
A professional diver can find it i'm pretty sure of that. Your buddy with a mask and snorkel , ehhh. Maybe not so much :)
But most likely will cost you more than the value of your lost item.

levik97
01-06-14, 21:02
Damn that sucks. I sure hope you can find it somehow. I've only ever lost knives and various relatively inexpensive pieces of gear outdoors but it's still a crappy feeling. Good luck!

Levi

Krull
01-06-14, 23:33
I have a John boat and I prefer any handgun I take out with me to have a lanyard loop as I make use of it,cheap loss insurance really,I also carry in a fannypack on top of the lanyard so I think losing it will be rather hard.

Good luck to maybe finding always worth a shot.

Averageman
01-07-14, 06:46
You have to love a dummy cord.
I'm a BIG fan of wearing a lanyard on my pistol when participating in such activities.
Years ago after an 8 hour patrol in the snow one young Private looked up and said "Gee, I think I lost my pistol." About 20 degree's out and 2 1/2 feet of snow, we found the pistol finally; but that young Soldier looked like he had walked in to a revolving door the next morning.

Ryno12
01-07-14, 07:06
Date stamp anyone? This was back in July. I could be wrong but I'd assume the OP has either located it or has moved on by now.

Sent via Tapatalk

tb-av
01-07-14, 08:50
... 1 of the engineers said may be if we could get a large magnet ... (uhh no).

Why do you think that is such a bad idea? If you catch the river on a low calm day. If there are 'holes' between the boulders that are like a well but too deep and small for a person to get to or see easily, a nice strong magnet may just grab it. The divers might find it if they can get to it. I personally wouldn't risk getting hung in a waterfall for a $400 pistol.

Not knowing how clear the water is or how slow and still it gets but another option is to find someone with one of those quadcopters with a camera on it. It's just as likely that the thing is simply laying out in the open under a foot of water. Our river here changes so much that you could have dropped it on Monday and have no idea where it went and by Thursday it may be sitting out in the open on a flat rock that you can walk to.

I hope your luck is better than mine.... everything I have even lost in the river is still there.

Airhasz
01-07-14, 09:02
You could try to divert the river and...oh forget it.

Iraqgunz
01-07-14, 09:14
It does wonders to not only read the original post date, but the last responses. I am fairly certain that he has mourned his loss and moved on since its been 6 months now.