PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this deal?

chuckman
07-15-13, 04:37
I was comparison shopping and came across this:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-ss12g2-pencil-premium-16-cmv-cl-stripped-railed-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

This is a good deal for a railed (apparently) mil-spec barrel/upper. What's wrong with this?

watertower
07-15-13, 07:39
I don't think there's anything wrong with that package. The rail sells for around $150. Figure around $250-$270 for a PSA barrel assembly and $100-$120 for an upper. That puts you at $500+ if you pieced one together with PSA parts, so they're saving you a few bucks and assembling it for you.

I've noticed recently with PSA, BCM and a couple other places that its almost not worth it to buy the individual parts and assemble an upper yourself if the configuration you want is available assembled.

If that's the upper you want, go for it. PSA is known for reasonable prices on okay quality parts. In my experience it can take 3-5 weeks to get an upper from PSA even if they say it's in stock.

chuckman
07-15-13, 07:49
That's kinda what I thought. A complete railed upper for that price seems pretty good...I didn't know if I was missing something.

djmorris
07-15-13, 11:53
Nothing wrong. PSA is great quality. Not quite up to BCM or Noveske standards maybe but certainly a cut above the typical shit out there. For the price, you can't do much better.

The_Hammer_Man
07-15-13, 12:11
If you already have a BCG then purchase a properly headspaced bolt at the same time you get the upper.

All bolts/chambers are not created equal.

chuckman
07-15-13, 12:30
If you already have a BCG then purchase a properly headspaced bolt at the same time you get the upper.

All bolts/chambers are not created equal.

If I have bolt that is good to go it should be OK, correct?

fallenangelhim
07-15-13, 12:34
yes. any bolt for a 5.56/.223 AR will be fine.

SilverBullet432
07-15-13, 14:18
considering a good BCG runs 180-200 ish and psa does make decent stuff, i would say its gtg, but lets see what the pros have to say

The_Hammer_Man
07-15-13, 14:23
If I have bolt that is good to go it should be OK, correct?

There's a long distance between "should be gtg" and "IS gtg".

No such thing as being too careful with your investment.

With that said, the vast majority of milspec chamber will accept most(not all) milspec bolts.

I've personally had customers come back at me with "My bolt is too tight/loose in your barrels chamber!" This was after I offered to cherry pick them a matched bolt.

Give it a try if you like. A bolt assembly doesn't cost that much. Peace of mind, on the other hand, priceless.

Iraqgunz
07-15-13, 14:50
I would be cautious. PSA has had issues in the past with oversized gas ports in their barrels. In addition I remember BCGs being sold that were "MILSPEC" only to find out later that they only MPI tested them.

chuckman
07-15-13, 15:19
As tempting as this is I am likely going to get a stripped BCM and just use standard handguards (add a rail later); I have a S&W SA BCG that should (emphasis) be good to go.

Chefjon
07-15-13, 20:23
I just got a Mid Heavy with MISSG12 rail from them...it did take 3 weeks. I'm really new to AR's, but the M4 Premium I had before that shot nicely. Now, to set her up :D

Tzook
07-16-13, 15:42
I've always recommended PSA to new shooters because of the quality for the money. I think that's a good deal, and will probably run great for you.

I'd say you probably couldn't put it together yourself for cheap enough to be worth it compared to that.