PDA

View Full Version : New 10.5 upper issue

Gerbilphooey
07-15-13, 15:22
Hi guys, I don't do much posting here, but I do a great deal of lurking. I just got my new 10.5 upper i'm from PSA, my second from them. The inside had a wear mark through the coating, I assume from the charging handle during test firing. Is this something to be concerned about or worth the trouble of returning? It also had a bit of wobble when test fitting to my pistol lower (it will be SBRed when my tax stamp comes back), again anything to be concerned about? Thanks for any help offered in advance!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/16/u3edy8an.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/16/qupyryme.jpg
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

serbonze
07-15-13, 15:28
It looks like a teflon coating was used as a protecant and wore off through use. It's difficult to tell because of the flash, but is the material in the first picture, in the charging handle channel shiny black or silver? If its shiny black, you are good to go. If it is silver, you should call PSA.

jbo723
07-15-13, 15:33
Most of my AR's have wear in the same area. Non issue IMO..

Boba Fett v2
07-15-13, 15:35
Depends on how much wobble you got going on. What type/make lower is it going on? Not sure if PSA uppers/lower are 100% in spec. Don't have any experience with their stuff. Maybe it can be fixed with an Accuwedge? Personally I like my uppers and lowers to be a tight fit. Anything other than that is unacceptable.

yfz
07-15-13, 15:52
A little bit of play between the lower and upper is not an issue. Even if your upper and lower have a very tight fit they are going to loosen up after you put a few hundred rounds through the gun. Do not use a wedge to make up for the play. They will only cause you more trouble down the road if they fall apart.

justin_247
07-15-13, 15:55
Depends on how much wobble you got going on. What type/make lower is it going on? Not sure if PSA uppers/lower are 100% in spec. Don't have any experience with their stuff. Maybe it can be fixed with an Accuwedge? Personally I like my uppers and lowers to be a tight fit. Anything other than that is unacceptable.

A little bit of play is perfectly acceptable, and the mil-spec allows it. If you can fit a .020" feeler gage in any of the areas between the pivot pin lugs with the upper fitted to the lower, it is out-of-spec. Otherwise, it's good to go.

The_Hammer_Man
07-15-13, 16:09
From your text I was expecting gouging inside the receiver. :)

After viewing your pic I can say... I've seen much worse on "better" brands of upper. If it troubles you then spray some dry molle in there.

It might not be the upper at all. It could be that your charging handle is slightly too "tall" in the slot.

What brand/type of charging handle are you using and who manufactured it?

07-15-13, 16:10
As has been said, some play is fine. The streaking on the top of receiver is fine. Accuwedges are POS's that can cause issues if get into FCG. Stay away from them. No need.

Iraqgunz
07-15-13, 16:11
In addition wait until you see some rear lugs that have been worn down because people force the steel take down pin into the hole and it wears it out.

Accucraps serve no purpose at all.

Gerbilphooey
07-15-13, 16:14
It might not be the upper at all. It could be that your charging handle is slightly too "tall" in the slot.

What brand/type of charging handle are you using and who manufactured it?

I have not fired it at all. I only opened the package less than an hour ago. It came like this from PSA, without a BCG or charging handle, but I assume PSA uses their own charging handles and BCG to test fire.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

MistWolf
07-15-13, 16:44
I lube the CH to reduce friction while it gets to know the upper better

Boba Fett v2
07-15-13, 17:35
A little bit of play between the lower and upper is not an issue. Even if your upper and lower have a very tight fit they are going to loosen up after you put a few hundred rounds through the gun. Do not use a wedge to make up for the play. They will only cause you more trouble down the road if they fall apart.

A little bit of play is perfectly acceptable, and the mil-spec allows it. If you can fit a .020" feeler gage in any of the areas between the pivot pin lugs with the upper fitted to the lower, it is out-of-spec. Otherwise, it's good to go.

As has been said, some play is fine. The streaking on the top of receiver is fine. Accuwedges are POS's that can cause issues if get into FCG. Stay away from them. No need.

In addition wait until you see some rear lugs that have been worn down because people force the steel take down pin into the hole and it wears it out.

Accucraps serve no purpose at all.

Okay. I guess. But I asked how much wobble there was, and while some play may be acceptable, I don't think it should be excessive on a brand new upper/lower. I assembled 3 rifles since I started building (a rookie) and all of them were a tight fit between upper and lower, and all of them have several hundred rounds through them with no noticeable degregation in the tight tolerance between the upper and lower. My one factory build is an SR-15E3, and as expected the fit is tight. I suppose it makes sense that my rifles will develop some play over time, but I haven't experienced it yet. I'm full-time active duty, and the assigned M4s I've fired throughout my career do show some play between upper and lower, but I attribute that to lots of range time, Soldier abuse and the constant breaking down (assembling and reassembling) of the rifle. I don't use accuwedge and never had a need to. Just didn't know they were bad to use. Learn something new in this hobby everyday.

Gerbilphooey
07-15-13, 23:51
Thanks guys. Upon further inspection it appears that the mark is "shiny black" and is not through the coating. The flash made it appear to be silver, bare metal. I am still trying to gauge the amount of play between the receivers, as I do not have a feeler gauge at the moment, and I only have one other AR to compare it to (and that rifle is tight). As much as I want to think I know what I am doing, I am still a relative newbie in the AR game.

Stickman
07-16-13, 00:31
You should contact the manufacturer and see what they say.

Iraqgunz
07-16-13, 00:33
You are focusing on a non-issue. Please contact PSA and ask them to address the problem. This is now closed until you hear back from them.

Thanks guys. Upon further inspection it appears that the mark is "shiny black" and is not through the coating. The flash made it appear to be silver, bare metal. I am still trying to gauge the amount of play between the receivers, as I do not have a feeler gauge at the moment, and I only have one other AR to compare it to (and that rifle is tight). As much as I want to think I know what I am doing, I am still a relative newbie in the AR game.