PDA

View Full Version : Vltor MUR-1a, worth the extra cost?

snackgunner
07-15-13, 17:16
Forgive me if this has already been talked about, but I ran a search and didn't find anything.

Basically I'm just wondering if the vltor-mur upper receiver a is worth the extra cost, compared to your basic upper receiver? I see lots of folks looking for them now, as they seem to be out of stock everywhere.

From the description vltor states that they are a "more rigid upper receiver that will increase accuracy and reliability, while extending the life of the interfacing components, such as the bolt carrier group and barrel assembly"

Has anyone who runs this upper notice any increase in accuracy? Is this upper more for precision builds?

MistWolf
07-15-13, 17:44
A more rigid upper is a more consistent shooter. I'm happy with my MUR upper on my precision AR. It's very accurate with good ammo.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Build/DSC_0030.jpg

I have not tested the MUR against standard upper to see if it's more accurate. But being stiffer, it should resist distortion to the receiver from barrel whip, using a long heavy barrel and/or using a suppressor.

IG recently had a kaboom with an SBR and he feels the MUR kept the damage from being worse

mtdawg169
07-15-13, 17:48
The stickied thread on upper receiver flex testing does a good job explaining the merits of the MUR. You also may want to take a look at this:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=134595

Pretty impressive how well the MUR held up and a benefit that I hadn't previously hadn't considered.

polydeuces
07-15-13, 18:20
"Worth it" is somewhat of a vague concept.
As with most gear-and equipment related questions it really boils down to establishing what you're trying to accomplish.
That will make it somewhat easier to answer.

jaxman7
07-15-13, 19:31
Two draw backs to MUR1As. If you want to use a BAD lever it (the BAD) may need altering to keep it from rubbing the side of the MUR and running certain offset irons cannot be used with the 1A. I really want to try out KAC's off set folders but with Vltor's deflector/forward assist housing it won't work.

With those 2 negatives mentioned I have 2 rifles. Both have MUR1As. This is my favorite upper. IG's recent kaboom with K.L. Davis backing up IG's testimony of the MUR's strength after the KB only reinforces my desire to solely have Vltor's upper among other reasons.

Now.....if they'd just start making their lowers more available. :confused:

-Jax

snackgunner
07-15-13, 19:35
Good info guys.

Can I get a link to IGs recent kaboom?

jaxman7
07-15-13, 19:37
Good info guys.

Can I get a link to IGs recent kaboom?

Click on mtdawg's link. Two posts above mine.

-Jax

snackgunner
07-15-13, 19:47
Oh, I thought that was a link to k.l Davis' stickied thread that I had read earlier. Didn't catch that part of his post where he said you also may want to take a look at this.

Thanks