PDA

View Full Version : What are the best water purifiers?

mikecon75
07-15-13, 19:34
With potable water being a paramount issue in a survival situation lasting more than a day, what are some thoughts on a purification system kept in the bugout bag?

StainlessSteelRat
07-15-13, 23:50
Katadyn Pocket works for me; pricey but worth it IMO.

Grand58742
07-16-13, 04:08
I'd actually say for a bag, go with the Katadyn Mini:

http://www.jrhenterprises.com/Katadyn-Mini-Filter-8001.htm

Don't think in a bug out situation you are going to go over the 3000 gallon life of the filter. Smaller and lighter than the Pocket, works like a champ.

I own both, but for lugging around in a pack, I go Mini every time.

EricTheRed
07-16-13, 04:14
General Ecology First Need. Heavier than most, but better than all in my experience.

Packeagle
07-16-13, 04:57
Sawyer pointONE. I have one of their filters for backpacking and like it a lot. They have a million gallon guarantee, may not be able to take advantage during SHTF but it instills some confidence. Looking to add a system to a rain barrel for SHTF.

They have a pointzeroTwo if you are worried about viruses.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

themonk
07-16-13, 05:58
The Katadyn Mini is a great ultra lightweight filter. It is a ceramic filter that can be easily cleaned which can be a lifesaver in sandy environments. It is not the fastest filter in the world (takes about 2 min to fill a nalgene). If you are looking for fast fill ups take a look at the Katadyn Hiker Pro which can push water super fast but if the filter gets clogged your SOL. All the MSR filters are excellent although on the heavy side.

For fast and light the Sawyer pointONE is also a great option along with the Aquamira Frontier Emergency Water Filter System.

I have the Katadyn Mini, Aqua Chlorine Dioxide Tablets, and a Aquamira Frontier Emergency Water Filter System in my BOB. I have multiple option that are very lightweight as it probably the most important thing you need in your bag of tricks.

HaydukeOR
07-19-13, 14:36
Just my two cents, but my family uses an MSR Ceramic Filter, much like the Mini Pocket filter. We hiked the entire PCT last year, and one element lasted my wife, son, and I the entire trip. In addition, we had used that same element for filtering rain water at our house for a year before the hike. As long as you clean the ceramic element with a toothbrush and not an SOS pad, either the Pocket Filter or the MSR filter will last you a very long time. Both the Pocket filter and the MSR are designed to be field maintainable, which is important. If a filter isn't clogging, it isn't doing its job, so make sure any filter you are looking at allows you to access and clean the element easily. Ceramic elements will also always outlast paper, coffee element type filter elements.

Packeagle
07-20-13, 07:32
The hollow fiber filters can be back flushed at high pressure. Should be able to unclog with enough pressure. However, ceramic is tried and true.

themonk
07-20-13, 08:58
The hollow fiber filters can be back flushed at high pressure. Should be able to unclog with enough pressure. However, ceramic is tried and true.

This is totally depending on your AO. I used a hollow fiber filter in Utah and did all the steps necessary to reduce sediment and it failed within the first day and was not able to continue. I understand that this is a rare occurrence but it is what it is. Thank god I had my MSR ceramic as a backup and we were able to clean it for the rest of the trip.

Packeagle
07-20-13, 09:56
What brand and model? I've had issue with fiberglass filters like the HikerPro.

fyrediver
07-20-13, 09:56
I've had several filters and the really fine sediment in glacial runoff has plugged them up. The ceramic was able to be cleaned and reused. The disposable, pleated filter was not.

This is why I always carry Potable Aqua iodine and taste tablets as a back up. Of course you can always boil it as a back up, but these tablets are inexpensive and lightweight.

Currently I've got a Sawyer gravity feed (and really hope it works well as I haven't tried it out yet).

themonk
07-20-13, 10:42
What brand and model? I've had issue with fiberglass filters like the HikerPro.

It was a PUR HikerPro but the water was not the cleanest. I love the HikerPro, it pushes water like no other - you can fill a nalgene in 45 sec. My only point is 2 is 1, 1 is none.

SeriousStudent
07-20-13, 10:47
I've been using the portable ceramic purifiers for about 30 years, and am a fan.

My personal fave is the MSR line, since you can repair them in the field. I started with their stoves, and became a fan of the purifiers for the same reason. If you are several days into a week-long trip and lose the ability to purify water, life becomes more challenging. You can still boil the water, but fuel for that can be an issue.

And it's always a good idea to read up on the difference between a water filter and a water purifier. Most ceramics can remove down to the 0.2 micron size.

Hope that helps.

tb-av
07-20-13, 10:53
I had another thread about salt water but never actually asked....

If you were at a river and didn't know if it was fresh water or salt water, or to what extent it was brackish..... is there some sort of easy test to determine the salt content? When it's safe to filter and drink all you want?

Packeagle
07-20-13, 11:00
It was a PUR HikerPro but the water was not the cleanest. I love the HikerPro, it pushes water like no other - you can fill a nalgene in 45 sec. My only point is 2 is 1, 1 is none.

The HikerPro is a good filter, however the filter element is disposable. The hollow fiber filters I'm talking about are the MSR Hyperflow, sawyer line, Platipus clean stream, etc. They are completely different construction than the hiker pro. They are field maintainable in the sense they can be back flushed in the field.

Something to be aware of with the ceramic filters is they can break from a drop or fall. If the ceramic plate breaks/cracks you will be risking contamination.

blade_68
07-20-13, 18:41
I've had and used the First Need one. I also keep a few different tablets chemical ones. In my Camelback I've got one thare filters to. I carried the First Need in Iraq 03-04 and 08-09.. just in case. A small bottles of iodine in first aid kits will work as back up. Taste like crap though. Add a coffee filter to strain out bugs and dirt help save the water filters. The main water treatment I carry now is Miox that uses sure-fire batteries and salt. As stated above different options and backups. Iodine don't work for some due to allergic reactions. .
The driver I had in 08

strow
07-20-13, 18:54
What part of the country are you in?

I have seen a mess of different filters clog before filtering less than a few gallons of water out of cattle tanks, Tenaha’s(sp), seeps, and ephemeral streams.

Filter systems that work like a charm back easy will go down quick with the silt we have in the water out west.

Your mileage may vary but Iodine and bleach are the gold standard out here (AZ/UT/NM).

Remember they make pills that will cure the cooties you get from drinking dirty water. They don’t make pills that will cure dead from dehydration. Drink early and drink often.

themonk
07-20-13, 22:15
The HikerPro is a good filter, however the filter element is disposable. The hollow fiber filters I'm talking about are the MSR Hyperflow, sawyer line, Platipus clean stream, etc. They are completely different construction than the hiker pro. They are field maintainable in the sense they can be back flushed in the field.

Something to be aware of with the ceramic filters is they can break from a drop or fall. If the ceramic plate breaks/cracks you will be risking contamination.

The hiker pro is the same thing (although an older technology) made out of glassfiber and is field maintainable & can be back flushed in the field. And in my opinion, even though I love MSR, is easier to flush and maintain than the Hyperflow. The Hyperflow is lighter though and filters down to 0.2 microns vs the Hikers 0.3.

bullitt
07-21-13, 00:08
I do a lot of expedition type canoeing and have been very well served by MSR water pumps for many years. I have several of the Sweet Water model and one of the MiniWorks model. The Sweet Water pumps faster, but the filter doesn't last as long. Even though its slower I really like the MiniWorks for long trips because it is 100% user serviceable in the field with no tools.

Last year my wife and I spent three weeks canoeing in the Yukon Territory with some friends and family. We took 4 Sweet Waters and 2 MiniWorks. By then end only one of the Sweet Waters still worked, but both of the MiniWorks were still going strong. During the trip I was able to take the MiniWorks apart and clean it out and clean the ceramic filter to keep it going. There was a lot of silt and tannins in the water we were pumping and it was hard on our filters.

Whatever system you go with, I highly recommend using a per-filter in anything but crystal clear water. Not just the little screen that keeps rocks out, but an actual filter. It will greatly extend he life of your main filter.

JasonB1
07-27-13, 16:25
Recently picked up one of the Sawyer's and the few times I have had it out has been great. Far faster and easier than the MSR Sweetwater & Katadyn Mini I have.

The only "issue" I am aware of is damage can occur if the filter freezes which isn't unique to their filter(current Sweetwater is a warranty replace due to following the instructions included with the 1st one I had) and I usually go with Aquamira or boiling when I know the temps will be consistently below freezing after seeing water freeze in a Katadyn Mini line and/or Camelbak tubes on several occasions.

ra2bach
07-28-13, 13:50
I carry some coffee filters with me and filter through that first. even the clearest appearing water leaves residue on this and makes me think I'm saving my filter...

tb-av
07-28-13, 15:25
If these ceramic filters are only used occasionally, is there danger in them being ruined?

Say you used one only every 30 or 60 days. Could the element become damaged or even dangerous to use?

themonk
07-28-13, 16:56
If these ceramic filters are only used occasionally, is there danger in them being ruined?

Say you used one only every 30 or 60 days. Could the element become damaged or even dangerous to use?

No. You don't want to have them be wet and then freeze, as they will crack. But other than that, follow the directions. Generally they will tell you to take the filter element out, clean it and let it dry and then you are good to go.

tb-av
07-28-13, 17:28
Thanks!

tb-av
08-24-13, 11:16
@seriousstudent

You mention a few times to compare purify to filter. I did some reading. Now aren't most of the packable devices filters?

It seems like the "sweetwater" from MSR is a purifier but requires chlorine?

Even the high dollar Katadyne said it's a filter and won't catch virus level. I also looked at the big home Berkey filters and they have a black filter that catches virus level and is considered a purify treatment.

It seems like there is a pro/con for all these things. The Katadyne pocket is expensive and I'm not sure what would need to be field repaired but I suppose o-rings. Perhaps an expensive spare filter could be hauled around too. The MSR stuff has a repair kit but people complain of breaking plastic parts ( not necessarily that particular model, those with plastic pump handles and such )

So if you make your cost / durability decision what exactly are you looking at with regards to purification vs filtration and could you transform any top shelf filter into a purifier by treating the water with a couple drops of chlorine after filtration?

TIA... I'm still a little fuzzy on this.

SeriousStudent
08-24-13, 13:55
@seriousstudent

You mention a few times to compare purify to filter. I did some reading. Now aren't most of the packable devices filters?

It seems like the "sweetwater" from MSR is a purifier but requires chlorine?

Even the high dollar Katadyne said it's a filter and won't catch virus level. I also looked at the big home Berkey filters and they have a black filter that catches virus level and is considered a purify treatment.

It seems like there is a pro/con for all these things. The Katadyne pocket is expensive and I'm not sure what would need to be field repaired but I suppose o-rings. Perhaps an expensive spare filter could be hauled around too. The MSR stuff has a repair kit but people complain of breaking plastic parts ( not necessarily that particular model, those with plastic pump handles and such )

So if you make your cost / durability decision what exactly are you looking at with regards to purification vs filtration and could you transform any top shelf filter into a purifier by treating the water with a couple drops of chlorine after filtration?

TIA... I'm still a little fuzzy on this.

That is what I understand, from the reading that I have done.

I carry two different things in the field. If I am traveling very light, I use the Aqua Mira tablets that are supposed to defeat everything but Rosie O'Donnell's bad looks.

The heavier option is the MSR Waterwork unit I mentioned. I have modified it just a bit, by adding one of the Sweetwater SiltStopper units to it. I also use one if the Sweetwater wire mesh floating intake filters on it.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/water-treatment-and-hydration/water-treatment-and-hydration-accessories/sweetwater-siltstopper/product

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/water-treatment-and-hydration/water-treatment-and-hydration-accessories/sweetwater-prefilter/product

These were the older style units and parts, back when they were an independent company. I got a stupid good deal on the replacement filter parts, and bought a bunch of them. I like the older prefilter unit, since it floated off the bottom, and sucked up less mud.

And if I have to add something like chlorine to the water to disinfect it, I like ra2bach's approach of just carrying a coffee fliter or something very light to get rid of floating impurities or sediment, and then dropping a chlorine tablet or iodine drops in the water.

I hope that helps.

EricTheRed
08-24-13, 14:13
http://www.berkeyproducts.com/filter-vs-purifier.html

Basically filter vs purifier is the degree to which the nastys are removed. Without going back and re reading the entire thread, I can't remember your intended use, but the First Need I mentioned is indeed a purifier, and in a backpackable/BOB size package. It's a touch heavy at about 1lb, which is why many backpackers do not carry it. But it is fully field cleanable including the ability to reverse the stream and backflush, and it purifies a crapload of water before elements need to be changed, so I like it the best.

You also have to consider that (at least in my area) a basic filter is all that is really needed. Pick your water source well in the Rockies and many times you really don't even have to treat.

Personally, for me, if I have to add chlorine/ iodine to water after I filter it, carrying a filter is a waste of time, money, and bag space. Years ago (Don't know if they still do it, but have heard from a rep that they do not) PUR filters had an iodine matrix the H2O ran through at the end of filtration. Seems kinda pointless to me, but it was done because they knew the filters were crap.

As far as pre filtering/screening goes, coffee filters do work good, and you can even wrap them around a device's prefilter to avoid cleaning that out so often. Personally I don't have to use the water with serious floaties in it very often. I typically fill a water bladder or three (Dromedary bag) from the source and carry it to camp, then stick the filter hose (prefilter removed) into the opening and pump from the comfort of camp rather than being hovered over a stream/lake/puddle.

ETA as others have said it does indeed matter where you are. Backpacking in Utah is hell on water filters. The Rockies, not so much. I hiked the AT in '97 and used the first need the whole way without changing the element, just the occasional backflush. It made New Jersey water drinkable, so there's that. But in Utah I typically try to find a spring or seep and I just drink it straight from the ground. After 20 years, knock on wood, I still haven't gotten sick, but I also don't drink from areas horse and cattle prowl. YMMV. I haven't seen a filter yet that will run more than 5 gallons or so of Utah river water without becoming a muddy mess.

EzGoingKev
09-08-13, 17:16
I have a Camelback charcoal filter on my Source bladder -

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-oQmEPIVfqiw/UG6qj3BjxuI/AAAAAAAAFG8/yhQdA4A1FMU/s800/Bladder%2520001.jpg

that is in my SHTF plate carrier.

And was throwing in one of those Sawyer squeeze filter/bladder setups in case I had to fill from a pond/stream/etc.

Is this good or are there better options out there?

T-Dot
10-22-13, 05:30
I was just over training in Bridgeport and we used the Platypus: it's a gravity flow system that makes 4 liters at a time, and was pretty quick about it. Everything packs up small and light too.

As for the camel back hose filters, my understanding is that they will not filter out everything harmful in the water as the filter isn't restrictive enough. I would be sure to check the micron rating on any filter to ensure it meets your needs.

exkc135driver
10-25-13, 01:50
I use a First Need XL (the latest model, the XLE, is a slightly-improved XL) for backpacking and traveling to sketchy places, for one reason: it removes more nasties than a filter (such as the various MSR products) does. The First Need removes viruses, which few (if any) of its competitors do. Coming back from a trip and spending the next few days on the john (or worse, having that happen on a backpacking trip) is not my idea of fun. I also pair it with an MSR SiltStopper to keep green stuff and such out of the filter proper. It's heavier than some, but (especially in heavily-trafficked areas like the Nantahalas and the Smokies where others may -- or may not -- be fastidious about taking a dump well away from water supplies [and I have it on good authority that the bears and other wildlife almost never care what they do near, or in, water sources :haha:)] the weight is worth it to me.

By the way, after the first use any filter or purifier will weigh a couple of ounces more than the catalog weight due to entrapped water.

For an emergency situation such as bugging out where light weight and mobility are more important than they are in a backpacking context, a LifeStraw, being much lighter and more compact, is probably a better choice, but like all filters, it doesn't remove viruses.

My First Need, complete with SiltStopper, entrapped water, and sack, weighs 21.0 oz; the catalog weight of a LifeStraw is 2 oz.

ra2bach
10-25-13, 13:02
I read What are the best Water Purifiers as dealing with pathogens, etc... I have a Steripen that I use with coffee filters (and some Koolaid :D ) for pathogens.

The thread has been discussing filters. Do these filter out bugs, etc???

Mamiller
11-12-13, 15:12
Been using a MSR Miniworks for 3 yrs now. Probably 3-4 trips a year. I clean the filter after every trip and seems to be doing good.

B Cart
11-12-13, 16:02
Maybe not exactly in the same category, but has anyone tried the LifeStraw device? I hunt and hike a lot and was thinking about adding one of these to my pack, and if they work well, maybe adding one to each of our 72 hour and bug out bags. They seem to get great reviews online and are rated for 1,000 gallons. Anyone had any experience with them?

http://eartheasy.com/lifestraw?gclid=CJ-HxPmf4LoCFWJBQgodeEUAIw

UnauthorizedAccess
01-26-14, 18:50
My two layer system is a simple Berkey Sport Bottle that will do 150 gallons. I like the 5 seconds fill and go portability. My longer term solution is the Katadyn Pocket.

wrcpete
02-28-14, 19:27
I read What are the best Water Purifiers as dealing with pathogens, etc... I have a Steripen that I use with coffee filters (and some Koolaid :D ) for pathogens.

The thread has been discussing filters. Do these filter out bugs, etc???

I'm not sure many do. here are a few links to the CDC ( gasp! a govmnt website!!! ) and a PDF from Katadyn that I found knolegable. I'm in the municipal water distribution/treatment business. I'm still learning though!

http://www.katadyn.com/fileadmin/user_upload/katadyn_products/Downloads/Water_Guide_EN.pdf

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/crypto/gen_info/filters.html

EzGoingKev
02-28-14, 20:16
There are plenty of filters and "drops" you can add to the water to kill bacteria so my concern is what about chemical contamination?

wrcpete
02-28-14, 20:27
There are plenty of filters and "drops" you can add to the water to kill bacteria so my concern is what about chemical contamination?

Good question. depending on the chemical reverse osmosis and activated carbon could be used I would think. I don't believe there is something of a reasonable size that could take organic, synthetic chemicals out of water.

EzGoingKev
02-28-14, 20:29
Are they any portable/quick/easy to use field test kits?

LoneWolfRonin
03-01-14, 07:17
Not sure if your area has fluoridated water or if you have kids but http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/fluoride-childrens-health-grandjean-choi/
For just drinking Berky setups are ok for houses and cabins. To remove everything use a distiller or reverse osmosis and add essential minerals afterward.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Ironworker46
03-01-14, 22:14
I don't think there is a perfect filter for every application. I carry and older MSR filter, and tablets as back up. With everything for emergency situations, have a back up plan and alternatives. Learn how to use bleach or other chemicals to clean water.

EricTheRed
03-02-14, 05:01
^^^ Absolutely agreed. But If you are going to count on ONE, count on the First Need XLE. Because otherwise you are just gambling. For example, the XLE will remove the threat of leptospirosis. nobody else will claim that, or can prove it. Do you need that? probably not, as I have said in earlier posts. Unless you are going to Hawaii. But really, if you want the ultimate end all be all you go with first need. If you want to cut corners/weight/space/ have multiple options, you do that and accept the tradeoffs. YMMV, and good luck.

I personally don't mind the extra couple of oz's. I also don't have one in every bag. Chlorine tabs/iodine have a great long term/spread out usefulness imo. But the bag I think is going to actually get used? It gets an XLE, and I don't worry so much as a drop. As also previously mentioned, I have thousands of back country miles worth of water run through first need's and I have NEVER been sick. No, I don't work for them. No, I also have no way to prove that they have taken anything I don't wanna drink out of my water, But, like I said...willing to gamble?

wrcpete
03-04-14, 14:28
I saw this company in a magazine it might be what some of you are after. http://www.berkeywater.com/start.main.html

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

travellightfreezeatnight
03-04-14, 20:55
First Need all the way. My brothers and I have been using First Need purifiers for over 20 years and they are IMHO the very best. Here is a little Microbiology/Public Health history to get you thinking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Milwaukee_Cryptosporidiosis_outbreak.

Cryptosporidia is the pathogen most often detected, but there are other parasites that can be just as unpleasant. Giardia (bever fever) is also common. These are the two big ones in the US, but if you travel out of the US, there are many others. It is also very important to follow manufactures directions for cleaning and sanitizing the filter/purifier element after every trip. Many of the organisms that are filtered out can and will continue to grow in the filter matrix and will eventually emerge on the clean side. The First Need requires back flushing and soaking in dilute bleach.

Of course there are also many bacteria and virus to worry about. The first need will catch all these pathogens down to 0.1 microns and >99.9% removal.

Semper fi

billybronco
03-05-14, 12:16
just bought this.......it's badass

http://www.rei.com/product/786393/sawyer-complete-water-filter-system-2-liter

ra2bach
03-11-14, 13:59
just bought this.......it's badass

http://www.rei.com/product/786393/sawyer-complete-water-filter-system-2-liter

nice. I came back to this thread to ask about the Sawyer Squeeze. it seems a popular filter for many on the AT but not mentioned in this thread.

does anyone carry the SteriPen? do you think it works as advertized?..

themonk
03-11-14, 14:25
nice. I came back to this thread to ask about the Sawyer Squeeze. it seems a popular filter for many on the AT but not mentioned in this thread.

does anyone carry the SteriPen? do you think it works as advertized?..

I carry a SteriPen. Its awesome and works as advertised. Slick option for short trips. That being said you need to protect it and it is battery powered vs a normal filter. If you use Nalgenes its a great lightweight option.

taliv
03-11-14, 14:30
i've been carrying/using steripen for years. i bought the one they sold a long time ago that came in the case that has a solar charger built in. seems to work great.

that said it is not a filter. it nukes bacteria and viri. and imho it is for use in conjunction with and not in lieu of filters.

Bear1
03-14-14, 13:35
Love my katadyn. Has been with me in the field many times in the past 4 years. Needed to change the filter once. Otherwise perfect, lightweight and compact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NongShim
06-06-14, 22:45
Sawyer pointONE. I have one of their filters for backpacking and like it a lot. They have a million gallon guarantee, may not be able to take advantage during SHTF but it instills some confidence. Looking to add a system to a rain barrel for SHTF.

They have a pointzeroTwo if you are worried about viruses.

Yup. Light and versatile. Also, faster than most other stuff.

9mm_shooter
06-06-14, 23:08
I've had and used the First Need one. I also keep a few different tablets chemical ones. In my Camelback I've got one thare filters to. I carried the First Need in Iraq 03-04 and 08-09.. just in case. A small bottles of iodine in first aid kits will work as back up. Taste like crap though. Add a coffee filter to strain out bugs and dirt help save the water filters. The main water treatment I carry now is Miox that uses sure-fire batteries and salt. As stated above different options and backups. Iodine don't work for some due to allergic reactions. .
The driver I had in 08

100% agree with using coffee filters to remove larger contaminants. A filter can be used if you still see stuff floating around. After that, iodine to treat everything else. Bleach can be added too, if you're really worried about the water. I was also a big fan of the Miox system until I found out that it basically is an expensive, Surefire 123 battery-powered portable bleach factory. It dawned on me that I could get the same results, and less hassle by just carrying a small bottle of bleach.

ra2bach
06-11-14, 13:31
I just picked up a Sawyer Mini at REI for like $20. now I see they are sold at Walmart too. these get great reviews from those who should know and for a little peace of mind I still carry my Steripen...

Berserkr556
09-11-14, 08:05
I've used several Katadyn models since the early 90s but recently started testing some of the Sawyer filters. The Katadyns are small in size which is a plus but I like the Sawyer because it's made in America and I can scoop up some water and filter it on the go which you can't do with a Katadyn.

EzGoingKev
09-11-14, 09:46
I wish Sawyer would put barbs on the inlet/outlet for piece of mind.

Co-gnARR
09-11-14, 09:54
I use a Steripen since it is effective on viruses. A bandana serves as a large particulate filter. In a survival situation you can use a clear bottle sitting in the sun for about 8 hrs. Again, this is effective against viruses. If you have a reflective metal surface to sit the bottle on this increases efficiency, I think. This method is used in third world countries where power and sanitation are pretty much nonexistent. If I can find the link I will post it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
10-03-14, 16:32
How in the hell has this thread made it this far without a Lifestraw mention?

Inkslinger
10-03-14, 17:21
I haven't been following that thread, just saw it. I have to say, it's on my list, the katadyn combi micro filter. 13,000 gallon for $180.

soulezoo
10-06-14, 10:07
How in the hell has this thread made it this far without a Lifestraw mention?

Agree with this. I picked up four at the cost of $80 total... or for the same price as one Vario. Threw one into each bag.

These aren't large volume long term solutions nor are they designed to be. Very lightweight, small, portable and handy though.

Outlander Systems
10-06-14, 17:29
Agree with this. I picked up four at the cost of $80 total... or for the same price as one Vario. Threw one into each bag.

These aren't large volume long term solutions nor are they designed to be. Very lightweight, small, portable and handy though.

Perfect for a small, lightweight setup. 1000 liters out of that little thing is extremely impressive.

Honorthecall81
10-09-14, 19:39
I have a MSR miniworks but I really think I'm gonna be switching to the sawyer Mini.
Filter life, weight, and price, are just plain hard to argue with.

platoonDaddy
10-09-14, 23:19
Tagging for ref.

ChrisCross
10-20-14, 21:47
Katadyn Pocket. All aluminum body is bulletproof and filters ~13k gallons per filter..

Sawyers are very interesting and filter 100K gallons but not sure it (filter body not element) would last that long. Still cheap an so far effective (.1 micron version).

platoonDaddy
10-21-14, 16:57
Why is this filter restricted from shipping to Ca or Iowa?

Royal Berkey 3 Gal Water System (2 or 4 Ceramic Filters)

http://www.protherapysupplies.com/Shop-by-Brand/Berkey-Filters/Royal-Berkey-3-Gal-Water-Filter-System

soulezoo
10-21-14, 16:59
That is strange... that model is on sale in a store near me now (Sacramento)

Why is this filter restricted from shipping to Ca or Iowa?

Royal Berkey 3 Gal Water System (2 or 4 Ceramic Filters)

http://www.protherapysupplies.com/Shop-by-Brand/Berkey-Filters/Royal-Berkey-3-Gal-Water-Filter-System

platoonDaddy
10-21-14, 17:13
That is strange... that model is on sale in a store near me now (Sacramento)

Hopefully this is a legit site, I just purchased the 4 ceramic filter model.

Outlander Systems
10-26-14, 09:36
If anyone is curious, the Sawyer Bottle and Lifestraw Go are both compatible with standard Nalgene Bottles/Klean Kanteen wide mouth bottles, Guyout Bottles, etc.

HKGuns
10-26-14, 11:22
I double down first with the MSR ceramic and I then stir with a UV pen.

trinydex
10-31-14, 16:42
http://www.berkeyproducts.com/filter-vs-purifier.html

Basically filter vs purifier is the degree to which the nastys are removed. Without going back and re reading the entire thread, I can't remember your intended use, but the First Need I mentioned is indeed a purifier, and in a backpackable/BOB size package. It's a touch heavy at about 1lb, which is why many backpackers do not carry it. But it is fully field cleanable including the ability to reverse the stream and backflush, and it purifies a crapload of water before elements need to be changed, so I like it the best.

You also have to consider that (at least in my area) a basic filter is all that is really needed. Pick your water source well in the Rockies and many times you really don't even have to treat.

Personally, for me, if I have to add chlorine/ iodine to water after I filter it, carrying a filter is a waste of time, money, and bag space. Years ago (Don't know if they still do it, but have heard from a rep that they do not) PUR filters had an iodine matrix the H2O ran through at the end of filtration. Seems kinda pointless to me, but it was done because they knew the filters were crap.

As far as pre filtering/screening goes, coffee filters do work good, and you can even wrap them around a device's prefilter to avoid cleaning that out so often. Personally I don't have to use the water with serious floaties in it very often. I typically fill a water bladder or three (Dromedary bag) from the source and carry it to camp, then stick the filter hose (prefilter removed) into the opening and pump from the comfort of camp rather than being hovered over a stream/lake/puddle.

ETA as others have said it does indeed matter where you are. Backpacking in Utah is hell on water filters. The Rockies, not so much. I hiked the AT in '97 and used the first need the whole way without changing the element, just the occasional backflush. It made New Jersey water drinkable, so there's that. But in Utah I typically try to find a spring or seep and I just drink it straight from the ground. After 20 years, knock on wood, I still haven't gotten sick, but I also don't drink from areas horse and cattle prowl. YMMV. I haven't seen a filter yet that will run more than 5 gallons or so of Utah river water without becoming a muddy mess.

i want to second what's said here.

there's filtering and there's purification. most filters, even the best ones, do not remove viruses due to pore size, although many can capture bacteria and other stuff that makes you sick like giardia and cryptosporidia. there are methods to actively get rid of viruses like uv light, iodine, chlorine.

it does depend on where you are, most of north america, you don't have to worry about viruses. so let the mission drive the gear.

i have one of these, but found out later it doesn't remove viruses. it's a decent a durable solution in north america. most expensive isn't always bestest.

http://www.rei.com/product/870243/katadyn-emergency-series-pocket-microfilter

there is apparently only one filter that does it all in one unit and that's the first need xle.

http://www.rei.com/product/851771/first-need-xle-elite-water-purifier

if you decide to use iodine tablets a nice tip is that vitamin c neutralizes iodine. so after you have used the iodine to kill stuff in the water, you can dump an emergen c packet in there and have tasty water. keep in mind that iodine isn't effective at killing cryptosporidia. bleach must be left in water for over 10 minutes to kill cryptosporidia.