PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning between rail and barrel?

D.S. Brown
07-16-13, 08:26
I recently purchased a DD M4V3 middy upper, that has their proprietary DDM4 free float rail, with their front sight post just in front of the rail.

What would be some affective ways to clean between the rail and the barrel without taking off the muzzle break, the front sight, and then the rail?

What would be effective ways to remove dirt, dust, debris, and moisture accumulating there during what is most likely for me would be a 2-3 day out door carbine class? My days of doing simulated movement to contact ended 23 years ago.

Anyway I don't need the rifle to be "pretty" however, even though it's been 23 years, it's hard to shake the lessons of a weapons cleanliness, inside and out, being associated with functionality.

Any suggestions are welcome, including links to discussions that didn't turn up in my search.

Thanks all.

Best,

Dave

markm
07-16-13, 08:42
Compressed air? I never clean that kind of stuff unless it's caked on filth.

Iraqgunz
07-16-13, 15:38
If it really bothers you use an air compressor and blow it out.

BIGUGLY
07-16-13, 16:04
Compressed air. if you have an air tank just make sure you are draining it and not getting moisture blown with the air. Also brake cleaner works well, has quite a bit of pressure for a can and will displace moisture.

RazorBurn
07-16-13, 16:10
Compressed air. if you have an air tank just make sure you are draining it and not getting moisture blown with the air. Also brake cleaner works well, has quite a bit of pressure for a can and will displace moisture.

The only thing I don't like about brake cleaner is that it really dries out the finish and leaves it looking almost white. I just spray mine down with Ballistol. You can pick up Ballistol that has a sprayer on it or in aerosol can.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/lubricant-protectant-oils/sportsman-s-oil-prod22502.aspx

D.S. Brown
07-16-13, 16:34
Thanks for all of your responses. Compressed air and Ballistol it will be. Thanks again.

Best,

Dave