PDA

View Full Version : Good deal on a used Remington 700P?

ShortytheFirefighter
07-16-13, 10:57
I'm still fairly new to the world of bolt guns and happened to get a line on a pair of used Remington 700P models, but I thought I'd check in with the experts on here to see if they're worth it or if I'd be better off looking at something else.

The specs on both from what I can tell are that they're standard 700P models chambered in .308. Unknown round count through them, they belonged to a local county Sheriffs Department SWAT team. Both are equipped with what looks to be Leupold VX III scopes, however both are painted so I'm not sure as to any other specs on the scopes. They look to be 26in heavy barrels. No bipod is mounted on either of these.

One has the standard magazine, the other has a detachable mag. I'd be able to get either of them for $850 with the scopes, is this a decent deal for an unknown amount of rounds/history? The bore looked alright, nothing out of the ordinary that I could tell. The bolts also seemed to be in good shape and cycled nicely. The stocks seemed to be in good shape, no major marks or cracks.

Thanks in advance!

T2C
07-16-13, 11:13
You might have to do a little research. Does either rifle have a logbook? You could check the number of rounds fired that were logged. Try to find out what year the agency purchased the rifles and ask a SWAT officer what kind of use the rifles saw. The Remington 700P rifles my agency has have been shot enough in 10 years to require barrel replacement at least once.

There has to be a reason the agency is selling the rifles. I would ask if you could take the rifles to a gunsmith to have the throat erosion measured. Do the scopes have any nicks or dings? Is the glass clear? Are the windage and elevation knobs loose? Can you find out if any of the deputies performed a box test with the rifles to check the condition of the scopes?

If you get lucky, the scope might be in serviceable condition. If you are unlucky, you are buying a used rifle with a scope base and rings. I would be tempted to buy a new Remington 700P for not much more than the $850 asking price.

austinN4
07-16-13, 16:18
Bud's has the rifle only new in stock for $902:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/95709/Remington+700+Police+308WIN+26+HB

B Cart
07-16-13, 16:45
T2C gave great advice, and definitely check those things.

That being said, if everything is in good shape, that seems like a pretty good deal considering it comes with the scope and bottom metal.

I have a Rem700 PSS I bought from a Scout Sniper buddy that had put a bunch of work into it, and was into the gun $1,800. It was in perfect condition and I got it for $900 with USO base, Vias break, B&C stock, some other upgrades, but no scope or bottom metal. The thing shoots lights out (shoots better than I'm capable), and has been a great gun.

If all checks out, depending on the round count, I think it's a good deal.

BIGUGLY
07-16-13, 21:15
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the 700P models come with shorter barrels than 26 inch as the standard barrel. If they did that may be something to inquire about. Were the barrels shot out and replaced or were they a special order item.

austinN4
07-17-13, 06:03
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the 700P models come with shorter barrels than 26 inch as the standard barrel. If they did that may be something to inquire about. Were the barrels shot out and replaced or were they a special order item.
The regular R700P is 26" while the R700P LTR is 20". The LTR barrel is fluted while the regular 26" is not. Both are available in .223, .308 and .300WM.

jbjh
07-18-13, 00:54
I'd say as long as either can be confirmed to be <1000 rounds, and you can check the scopes for tracking, the the price looks good.as long as you are going to use these as platforms to build on later (rebarrel, true, time, etc...).

ShortytheFirefighter
07-18-13, 13:43
Thanks for the advice to all of you, I'll be talking with the shop and also trying to contact someone with the Sheriffs Department to see if I can get a better idea of the history. At this point, I'm tempted to start with a new rifle and build from there, we'll see how this goes.

prestonoconnor
07-30-13, 21:09
It would depend on what model scope it was. I would stay away from the remington detachable mag unless you want to upgrade to a better detachable. Mag system. The last 700p I bought was used without a scope for 500.00