PDA

View Full Version : 762 SDN POI shift

markm
07-16-13, 12:42
This one didn't really fit in any of the other POI shift threads before.. so... :confused:

Nothing Earth shattering.. but kind of interesting... Zeroed my SPS with the Brakeout mount for the SDN... then mounted the can. POI is 6/10s of a mil up. No windage adjustment... just elevation. Odd that it's up though.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/SDN_zps89fba326.jpg

Kchen986
07-16-13, 12:47
You getting good accuracy with the SDN-6? I considered the can for use on both my carbines and precision rifle, but ended up going with a Surefire 7.62 Mini.

markm
07-16-13, 12:49
Yeah. Accuracy is maybe even better. Hard to say for sure as .308s can be moody... shooting lights out one day and just MOA another.

But on Sunday it was stacking them a little better than normal.

bowietx
07-16-13, 13:43
Just out of interest, were you usng the exact same round throughout? Harmonics are difficult to predict, that aside could the causal factor be physiological based upon shooting grip etc. to compensate for the extra weight of the can?

markm
07-16-13, 13:47
Just out of interest, were you usng the exact same round throughout? Harmonics are difficult to predict, that aside could the causal factor be physiological based upon shooting grip etc. to compensate for the extra weight of the can?

I only run one load. I did sling a 3 rounds of Mk118 LR just to get the brass... but that stuff shoots same POI as my 175 SMK load.

No physiologicalities.... I go to the Hodnett church of the loaded bi pod and rear bag divinity. :cool:

Pappabear
07-16-13, 14:33
The accuracy was crazy good. One five shot group was 4 shots in one hole, then one user error flyer inside an inch.

Then we throttled 500 yard steel in a rapid fire sequence that were dead center hits.

C-grunt
07-17-13, 11:41
Maybe it increased the MV a bit so its dropping less?

markm
07-17-13, 12:02
Maybe it increased the MV a bit so its dropping less?

0.6 mils is huge. I don't think the .308 is capable of picking up that much velocity.

rjacobs
07-17-13, 23:09
Mine is always straight down, never any windage either.

C-grunt
07-18-13, 00:19
0.6 mils is huge. I don't think the .308 is capable of picking up that much velocity.

I must have misread that. Yeah that's pretty big distance at range.

shattuck
07-18-13, 00:30
No physiologicalities.... I go to the Hodnett church of the loaded bi pod and rear bag divinity.

Can I hear an Amen!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

taliv
07-18-13, 07:14
maybe i missed it. did hodnett invent some technique for loading bipod and rear bag? what is he doing different?

markm
07-18-13, 08:21
maybe i missed it. did hodnett invent some technique for loading bipod and rear bag? what is he doing different?

Nothing different. The point was with a stable platform, shooter influence on the rifle couldn't be 6/10 mil.

shattuck
07-18-13, 08:22

No. I was just making joke of the tongue in check religious reference to Todd. Whom I am a big fan of.

markm
07-18-13, 08:35
No. I was just making joke of the tongue in check religious reference to Todd. Whom I am a big fan of.

Amen!

taliv
07-18-13, 08:48
heh ok i totally misread that

so is that .6 up pretty repeatable?

markm
07-18-13, 09:29
heh ok i totally misread that

so is that .6 up pretty repeatable?

I'm sure it is... I've never had an AAC can that wasn't... but I'll have to shoot it again a few times to confirm.

That was its maiden voyage.

shattuck
07-18-13, 20:19
I'm sure it is... I've never had an AAC can that wasn't... but I'll have to shoot it again a few times to confirm.

That was its maiden voyage.

Funny. I just got my stamp back on my sdn6. Haven't had it on the OBR to test POI shift yet. Just on my 8in 300blk with subs. Wow.

orkan
07-18-13, 21:46
Nothing different. The point was with a stable platform, shooter influence on the rifle couldn't be 6/10 mil. I disagree. This is one of the reasons I love 308's. They recoil enough to exploit any deficiencies in the shooter's firing position. I routinely see people's POI shift .5 mils from POA when I force them to get up and walk around between shots. While they are walking around, I'll take their rear bag out from under the rifle, and smush it around, and I'll pick their bipod up out of the divots they have it in, and put it on virgin ground. Very common to see .5 mils deviation.

Do the same test with a 6.5 creed or other light-recoiling round and the deviation is less by half or more.

As for the suppressor shift, .6 mils is average I'd say. The fact that it shifted up, rather than the more often seen downward shift may be an indicator of a thread/mount problem.

markm
07-18-13, 22:22
I disagree. This is one of the reasons I love 308's. They recoil enough to exploit any deficiencies in the shooter's firing position. I routinely see people's POI shift .5 mils from POA when I force them to get up and walk around between shots. While they are walking around, I'll take their rear bag out from under the rifle, and smush it around, and I'll pick their bipod up out of the divots they have it in, and put it on virgin ground. Very common to see .5 mils deviation.

That crap wouldn't work on me. I'm angry anal about getting my platform back where I want it. You'd hear me cussing a friggin storm up.

taliv
07-19-13, 07:43
it shouldn't work on anybody. when i move from a bench to bipod and bags and then to shooting off a barricade, i don't get half mil changes in zero with any gun.

orkan
07-19-13, 10:50
it shouldn't work on anybody. when i move from a bench to bipod and bags and then to shooting off a barricade, i don't get half mil changes in zero with any gun. ... and you're not suppose to. However, rookies will walk shots all over the place and never know why, until I tell them that recoil is doing it. Then a lightbulb moment, followed by some cussing like mark said. ;)

shattuck
07-19-13, 16:29
it shouldn't work on anybody. when i move from a bench to bipod and bags and then to shooting off a barricade, i don't get half mil changes in zero with any gun.

Damn I do. I am having a hard time finding that consistent sweet spot when moving between positions.

taliv
07-22-13, 19:27
just a data point... i tried brakes for a year and it's official. i hate them. going back to suppressors.

so i took the brake off this gun (http://precisionmultigun.com/pics/rs%20pts%20win.jpg)

and screwed one of my thunderbeast 30p-1s on it. resulting impact was .4 low and .1 right, so i had to come up and left. don't know if it's repeatable because i'm never firing it with a brake again, but my guess is it would be.

edit: btw, it didn't change my velocity at all. out to 600, i was dead on after correcting zero.

orkan
07-23-13, 10:30
just a data point... i tried brakes for a year and it's official. i hate them. You could have asked me. I would have saved you a year. ;) haha

markm
07-23-13, 11:49
just a data point... i tried brakes for a year and it's official. i hate them. going back to suppressors.

so i took the brake off this gun (http://precisionmultigun.com/pics/rs%20pts%20win.jpg)

Why do you hate brakes? :confused:

I mean... I hate them on the AR platform where it rattles your ass silly. But I've never been bothered by them on long bolt guns. :confused:

For sure, a can is always nice.

Pappabear
07-23-13, 12:25

and screwed one of my thunderbeast 30p-1s on it. resulting impact was .4 low and .1 right, so i had to come up and left. don't know if it's repeatable because i'm never firing it with a brake again, but my guess is it would be.

edit: btw, it didn't change my velocity at all. out to 600, i was dead on after correcting zero.

I have a TBAC (stamp) coming in October. I freakin can't wait.
What impact did it have on accuracy? Improve-same-worsen.

taliv
07-23-13, 20:13
i hate brakes because the noise is bothering me more than the recoil. and with suppressor, the recoil seems less than with the brake.
it also irritates the guys shooting with me and the neighbors.

pappa, you will love it. i just ordered my 4th tbac 2 weeks ago. it's hard to say whether it improved accuracy or not. the smallest target i shoot at is 3" head on a reduced ipsc at 600 and a 4" circle. I was able to hit both when i first got it with the brake. after 500 rnds, either something was wrong with the gun or me (or likely both), cause i couldn't hit $#$@ for past month (first round hit so many hostages last few weeks it was ridiculous). i completely cleaned the barrel, shot it a bit and it was better. then put the suppressor on and was able to hit the heads and small circle again. so it fixed me or the gun; either way i'm happy again.

Pappabear
07-23-13, 23:55
I like brakes , but I be loving suppressors. I have no 300WM CANS. That is all changing about October ish. Four is a good number, for 3 hundo cans.