PDA

View Full Version : Is the Surefire 60 round mag worth the money.

GUNFUN
07-16-13, 15:59
I was thinking about buying the Surefire 60 rounder but haven't heard a lot of feedback on the reliability. Anybody have any time on the range with one.

PAWs 21
07-16-13, 16:05
I own one and ran it through a 3 day carbine class. It is definitely useful when doing multiple drills. Never had any malfunctions through mine but it did not lock the bolt back once. Not entirely sure if it was due to the mag. I think that if you have the cash to drop on one then you won't be disappointed.

kwelz
07-16-13, 16:08
Value is Subjective. For me it isn't worth it. For many people it is. Just depends on your need and intended use.

RST Customer Rep
07-16-13, 16:11
I have one that I have put well over 400 rnds thru. I asked surefire once if it hurt the mag to leave it loaded and never got a response...so I left it loaded for 3 months and took it out to the range. No malfunctions. The only offputting thing I ever heard about them is that when loaded to cap. if you drop them the butt plate will come off. I saw a video once where a guy stretched a magpul original over the bottom and solved the problem. I used a hairdryer and warmed mine up then stretched to fit. Runs like a champ. I also had mine cerakoted magpul FDE. I love mine.

glocktogo
07-16-13, 16:11
I have one and while it seems to work fine, I wouldn't buy another one. I think two P-Mags with a coupler would work just about as well in almost every case where you needed more ammo in/on the gun.

Iraqgunz
07-16-13, 16:16
Use the SEARCH button. There have been various discussions about them here.

SMGLee
07-16-13, 16:18
I have both the 60 and the 100. the MAG60 was an early release model and it has been somewhat reliable. the 100 is just a pile of junk.

Although the 60 has been reliable enough, but do not take it out of the gun half way though and store it in a dump pouch. I did that once, the half loaded mag became useless with the reminder rounds that was rattled to face in all direction inside the MAG60. This might have been an early release magazine issue, but since then i have seen that happen in few other MAG60s.

For range use, it is a great magazine, I for one would not put my life behind it.

GH41
07-16-13, 16:18
I don't have one and I will tell you I don't. It has nothing to do with the cost. Local shop has 2 for 90 each. Even if they were 100% reliable, which no magazine in my opinion is, the weight is what turns me away. BTW the length of the new Magpul 40 also turns me off. I would like to see someone market a 40 rd split row mag a little shorter than a 30 rd mag that was 99% relaible! GH

1911-A1
07-16-13, 17:06
I've been tempted to get one, but it's a heavy mag, and if you happen to drop it on the feed lip, it's likely deadlined. I've had that happen with 30rd aluminum mags before.

mrvco
07-16-13, 17:14
The 60's got less appealing for me with the release of the 40-round PMAG's.

jaxman7
07-16-13, 17:18
Use the SEARCH button. There have been various discussions about them here.

Or if that doesn't work like it doesn't on my DROID go to Google and type in the topic you are curious about and follow it with M4Carbine.net.

Example: surefire 60 round mag M4Carbine.net

It takes much less time to do that than start a new thread on info that's already been passed down numerous times. Not pointing you out solely OP but hoping you and others will search more before asking in the future. Saves time and bandwidth on here.

-Jax

CoryCop25
07-16-13, 17:34
Read this whole thread....

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=84984