PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Release with Locked-Back Indicator?

Swag
07-18-13, 15:55
As described by the title...

I was out practicing my reload earlier utilizing 8 mags. 4 loaded 1rd each, 2 with 2rd each, & 2 loaded 3rd each. Placed in in bag and mixed then a blind grab of 4 (1 for rifle with 3 on body). As I was going along, I thought about my paddle release and posted the following...

Speaking as a consumer...

Respectfully, as a right-hander, I'd be more interested in a bolt release that gave a clear indication of bolt-open condition. Maybe a combination of hi-viz yellow and tritium insert (hidden within lower till engaged).

*A few more moments to think about it and maybe an indicator may not really be beneficial either.

Do any of you think the idea has any merit or potential? I think I can see where it may assist in quickly identifying whether you are dealing with a reload situation or stoppage type malf:

- If mag is dry, follower engages the indicator, quick visual glance affirms bolt lock; reload.

- If stoppage occurs, follower does not engage indicator so affirms stoppage occurred; weapon down, begin clearing.

*Thought I should add: Purpose is to have the ability to visually determine the condition with a quick glance and avoid shifting or unshouldering the rifle unnecessarily.

Meplat
07-18-13, 16:36
It's a complex solution to a simple problem in my opinion. The feeling of a bolt locking back on the last round is already a very noticeable indicator, at least it is to me. In addition to that, unless you were in a dark environment where tritium or some sort of illumination blatantly stood out, you would have to train your eyes to scan and watch the bolt catch for it to have any real use.

Swag
07-18-13, 16:42
Thanks. Do you feel that extremely high duress may affect your judgement (feel the bolt lock back last shot)? Also, tritium insert would be for no/very low light while Hi-Viz yellow would compliment day/good visibility conditions, respectively.

Adrenaline, fear, excitement, tension, etc...

Meplat
07-18-13, 16:49
Thanks. Do you feel that extremely high duress may affect your judgement (feel the bolt lock back last shot)?

Adrenaline, fear, excitement, tension, etc...

Certainly it could and probably would. But using that same logic, it could also affect my judgement to notice a bolt release outside of anything other than ideal conditions. My guess would be, and again it is entirely just a guess, that shooting until lock back or a dead trigger would be a faster and easier indicator of an empty gun or a malfunction. I base this off of never once noticing my bolt release when shooting other than during reloads.

Swag
07-18-13, 16:57
Appreciate the constructive critcism greatly.

*LOL, earlier during practice, I caught myself squeezing a dead trigger twice more than a few times.

CGSteve
07-19-13, 14:27
It's a complex solution to a simple problem in my opinion. The feeling of a bolt locking back on the last round is already a very noticeable indicator, at least it is to me. In addition to that, unless you were in a dark environment where tritium or some sort of illumination blatantly stood out, you would have to train your eyes to scan and watch the bolt catch for it to have any real use.

I feel the same way and I am far from the skill level that some of our members here are at. Furthermore, you can even tell if you have a simple or complex malfunction by what kind of trigger squeeze you have.