PDA

View Full Version : drop in side charging handle

bobsolla
07-19-13, 02:49
I ran across this today and just thought I`d put it out there for those interested in this type of thing!http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/07/18/gfg-drop-in-side-charger-ar-15/

Grand58742
07-19-13, 03:08
Wouldn't the point behind a side charger be that you wouldn't have to break cheek weld to use it?

One of those nifty ideas in principle, not really seeing the benefits on delivery.

Sentaruu
07-19-13, 05:37
it seems like it would be really easy to break.

looks like a novelty item, but i'd be surprised to see it last for a long period of time.

ColtSeavers
07-19-13, 09:32
I agree with both previous posts, I see more cons thans pros.

grunz
07-19-13, 09:42
I really don't get the fascination/obsession some people have with forward mounted CH on ARs. In my view the AR does not have a CH problem, the problem is that we can't lock the bolt back while still maintaining master grip with right hand - and there are several rather elegant solutions to this without a huge thing outside the receiver.

BTW this thing looks awful, I can imagine a dozen was this thing can bend, break, get caught up, smash your hand on optics etc etc...

Benito
07-19-13, 18:51
I get why forward/side charging handles are nice.
However, the AR charging handle is not a deal-breaker for most people.
Full marks to this guy for creativity, it's just that, like some comments in the link have pointed out, that's a lot of torque on a on a lever made of aluminum. Clearing hard malfunctions would bend that thing sooner or later (well, sooner).
The AR already has a side charging handle. It's on the side, just a bit more to the rear, that's all.

Agnostic
07-19-13, 19:35
I guess it could appeal to some folks. However, any reason I would ever want a side charger is negated by the design. I like my BCM Gunfighter just fine.