PDA

View Full Version : Tried something new this month..

Barbara
04-13-08, 16:21
Shot through a match left handed yesterday. As you can see, there's plenty of room for improvement. :)

http://www.actshooters.com/apr08.html

I also shot through right handed..had to switch things around between turns but no big deal. Didn't shoot that well right handed, either..maybe distraction, I'm not sure.

Problems I encountered:

I picked up a cheap LH Fobus holster, which held the gun like a vice. Ended up using a mag pouch as a holster.

I kept reverting back to shooting with my right eye from my left shoulder and it slowed me down a lot.

I discovered that when I shoot pistol left handed quickly, my grips sucks and I pull my right index finger into the trigger guard with each shot.

Overall, I'm happy enough. Just need more practice under a little pressure.

I'm going to shoot both hands monthly, I think. I'd try shooting left handed from my right handed set up gear, but that probably won't fly at matches. This is a start towards that, though.

RogerinTPA
04-14-08, 17:32
I'm not a competition shooter but I normal practice weak side shooting in both pistol and carbine for each range session and classes if the training calls for it. I am confident in being able to engage a bad guy left handed, but not in competition shooting. I'm happy just to get center mass hits at varying distances. Something I'll have to work on.

As far as the dominant eye problems, I shoot pistol with both eyes open unless shooting beyond 25 yards. Something I've gotten use to for the past few years with no ill effects.

I have used a Fobus holster that did the same thing. After loosening the adjustment screw for proper tension, it ran fine. Luckily, I found out a few days before the class. I'm sure your scores will improve with more practice. Kudo's to you Barbara for trying while competing. :cool:

Shot through a match left handed yesterday. As you can see, there's plenty of room for improvement. :)

http://www.actshooters.com/apr08.html

I also shot through right handed..had to switch things around between turns but no big deal. Didn't shoot that well right handed, either..maybe distraction, I'm not sure.

Problems I encountered:

I picked up a cheap LH Fobus holster, which held the gun like a vice. Ended up using a mag pouch as a holster.

I kept reverting back to shooting with my right eye from my left shoulder and it slowed me down a lot.

I discovered that when I shoot pistol left handed quickly, my grips sucks and I pull my right index finger into the trigger guard with each shot.

Overall, I'm happy enough. Just need more practice under a little pressure.

I'm going to shoot both hands monthly, I think. I'd try shooting left handed from my right handed set up gear, but that probably won't fly at matches. This is a start towards that, though.

a308garand
06-26-08, 17:28
Congratulations for having the intestinal fortitude to try something new. Too many of us don't want to look stupid and would not try to shoot a match using their off side hand.
I know from my own efforts that my left hand shooting needs lots of improvement. If you carry a gun for personal protection, you owe it to yourself to get good using either hand.
Good job.