PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifing loose primer pockets in pistol casings.

Mauser KAR98K
07-19-13, 12:08
I have been reloading a bunch of 9mm and shooting with my USP. Pulled it out to clean it and I noticed this:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5457/9320161112_2e2f381bc5_b.jpg

I have this pitting in a ring around the firing pin hole. Asked around and someone mentioned that it looks like I was firing reloads with loose primer pockets. This is news to me.

How can I identify a casing with a loose primer pocket? I reload with mixed casings just to train and blast, so I don't sort. I use a Dilion 650 press.

Snake Plissken
07-19-13, 18:15
You should be able to tell based upon resistance while seating primers. Also, who cares. The USP is cheaper than the ammo it'll take to cause any serious wear.

markm
07-20-13, 10:36
Someone is putting you together.

You can easily tell a loose primer pocket when you're loading. That amount of loosenicity would allow the primer to fall out of the brass before you even fired it.

Now has this brass been swaged to get a nato crimp off?

Mauser KAR98K
07-20-13, 11:16
Someone is putting you together.

You can easily tell a loose primer pocket when you're loading. That amount of loosenicity would allow the primer to fall out of the brass before you even fired it.

Now has this brass been swaged to get a nato crimp off?

No, I am not swagging the primer pockets.

I think I have found the problem: A combination of over seating (thanks Lee), and over crimping (thanks Lee). The Lee dies, I believe are too short for the Dilion 650XL when it comes to 9mm.

anachronism
07-20-13, 22:28
What primers are you using. As strange as it sounds, some primer manufacturers make cups at the large end of spec (CCI), and some are closer to the minimum end of spec (Federal). There are also differences in production lots too. Also- not all primer pockets are alike either, nor are case alloys, and some cases get loose primer pockets sooner than others. Hotter loads don't help longevity at all either.

It's a crapshoot...

Mauser KAR98K
07-30-13, 14:19
Federal small pistol primers with a slight batch of old remingtons i have since threw away.

Loading 124cmj rounds with 4 grns of bullseye.

anachronism
08-03-13, 19:25
I use an RCBS hand primer so I can tell if I have any loose primers. The press mounted primers offer no sensitivity at all.

Mauser KAR98K
08-09-13, 03:03
I use an RCBS hand primer so I can tell if I have any loose primers. The press mounted primers offer no sensitivity at all.

I beg to differ. The one on my Dillion 650 is sensitive that I should start taking notice from here on out. What I am doing now is that if a primer didn't go in, I pull, look, see primer, mark casing and continue. Once I see that casing on the range with the mark, I toss it to the brass gods.