PDA

View Full Version : Best single action sixgun Peacemaker clone?

Doc Safari
07-19-13, 14:32
Got me a hankerin' to buy a gen-u-ine cowboy type Peacemaker clone to go with my cowboy hat an' muh pickem-up truck.

Any you cowpokes wanna suggest me a good one?

Much obliged. :D

colt191145lover
07-19-13, 14:50
I hate to say it but the ruger is as close to" unbreakable" as they get ..just not as authentic as some like....USFA has great CS and there is always Colt.

Doc Safari
07-19-13, 14:55
I hate to say it but the ruger is as close to" unbreakable" as they get ..just not as authentic as some like.....

I have heard this as well. I'm looking for an authentic look and feel, but not something SASS approved. I'm thinking of .357 magnum for mine.

colt191145lover
07-19-13, 14:58
At my last job we dealt a lot with the replicas and Ive seen some very poor QC and broke many of them myself, mainly trigger/bolt springs but also one bolt . I Haven't broke a Ruger Vaquero yet and the colts have been better also YMMV.

colt191145lover
07-19-13, 15:02
My biggest problem is with the .357s are they weight more than other calibers due to more metal in the cylinders (smaller holes). If your not carrying the gun Its a non issue.

All boils down to personal pref fence on that.

Dave Berryhill
07-19-13, 15:38
Turnbull

Doc Safari
07-19-13, 15:57
Turnbull

I seem to remember seeing ads in CDNN's catalog for these. The ones offered were engraved, so I don't know if the $1,200-2,100 price tags are typical.

What makes these special?

colt191145lover
07-19-13, 16:08
Turnbull Stuff is a true work of art!!!!

Dave Berryhill
07-19-13, 16:50
Doug Turnbull started out by restoring old (worn, broken, rusted, etc.) firearms. Here is an example:
http://www.turnbullmfg.com/store.asp?pid=34904

His company took this:
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6006/5984421823_c9ec72518a.jpg

And turned it into this:
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6006/5984424507_31778247aa.jpg

He's a member of the American Custom Gunmaker's Guild and also does the carbonia bluing and color case hardening for several other manufacturers. He's pretty good ;)

Edited to add: After looking at his website, it looks like he no longer manufactures the Open Range Revolver model (SAA clone) due to "lack of availability." I guess he couldn't get some of the parts needed.

If you can't find one of these for sale, your next best option would be to find a good used Colt or USFA

Doc Safari
07-19-13, 17:08
... your next best option would be to find a good used Colt or USFA

I went to Colt's website and they list the Single Action Army as if they still make it. Is that not the case?

All that came up on GunJoker was "collectible" SAA's.

The thing I don't like about the Ruger Vaquero is that it doesn't load like the Colt. I'm used to the loading notch on the hammer rather than just opening the loading gate to load the gun. THAT much authenticity I'd rather have.

I'll have to look into USFA.

FN in MT
07-19-13, 17:22
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h274/montanaguy375/USFAivory1.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/montanaguy375/media/USFAivory1.jpg.html)

USFA all the way. This is a .45 Colt with Ivories. Also have a .38 Spcl Rodeo model and it's probably THE bargain out there if you want an authentic Colt clone with high Quality.

As previously mentioned...Stay away from the cheapo clones.

colt191145lover
07-19-13, 17:31
I had to send back my USFA Rodeo twice, that being said they have GREAT customer service! I was having problem again and the head of there repair department had me call him at his home number after hours ( 8:00pm pacific time!!) to help me trouble shoot my gun! He totally went above and beyond to help me out ... turned out to be a trigger/bolt spring that looked good but had lost tension.

Dave Berryhill
07-19-13, 17:36
Colt still makes new SAAs but they don't make a lot of them so they can be hard to find. I don't know if USFA is still making any or not. I agree that the USFA Rodeo is probably your best deal for a quality SAA unless you can find a Colt at a bargain price.

You can always get a Vaquero and have some of the Ron Power parts installed so it has a half-cock notch and loads like a Colt.

Croesus
07-19-13, 19:33
USFA is out of the revolver business as far as I can tell. Parts and service will dry up -- if they haven't already. This is also probably why Turnbull can no longer offer the "open range" guns. USFAs are nice guns, but for the prices they are now commanding, I would by a new Colt SAA. The Colt's have plenty of parts available in the aftermarket and the factory is still in business for customer support.

If you want four clicks and coil springs, get an Old Model Blackhawk -- readily available on the used market. Find one that has not been converted with the transfer bar "upgrade" and you will be good to go.

In 357, the frame size is smaller in the OM Blackhawks and very similar to the Colt. If you can find a clean flattop, the grip frame feels identical to my hand. The OM Blackhawks also have an aluminum grip frame and ejector rod housing, a lot of folks don't like this, but it makes the gun much lighter for carry. An OM Blackhawk makes for a great packing gun. Best of luck.

ThirdWatcher
07-20-13, 01:06
Ruger New Vaquero (if you don't want to buy a Colt SAA).

MistWolf
07-20-13, 03:16
The Ruger Single Action is the most rugged and durable of them all

...The thing I don't like about the Ruger Vaquero is that it doesn't load like the Colt. I'm used to the loading notch on the hammer rather than just opening the loading gate to load the gun. THAT much authenticity I'd rather have...

The original Ruger Vaquero, being based on the Blackhawk frame, is larger than the Colt SAA and is much stronger. Many Cowboy shooters prefer the smaller and lighter Colt size handguns so Ruger has scaled down the Vaquero to match. It's not as strong as the original Blackhawk frame but it is lighter and will fit in holstered made for the Colt and Colt clones.

I have the larger Vaquero and I like it very much. The adjustable sights of the Blackhawk are more practical but I've never cared for the looks. I like the more traditional sights and that's why I got a case hardened 5 1/2" Vaquero in 45 Colt. I didn't get it for Cowboy Shooting, I got it for use with hunting loads to carry it in the field. The Colt and clones are not made for a steady diet of heavy loads. I don't like how it loads, nor how it cocks. It feels awkward. Someday, when I quit spending money on "Black Rifles" I'll get the Power Custom Half Cock Trigger & Hammer

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/hammers/ruger-sa-half-cock-hammer-trigger-kit-prod9845.aspx

If you want to combine the ruggedness of a Ruger with a traditional half cock hammer & loading, this is the way to get it

mikeith
07-20-13, 10:49
These guys do great custom packages on vaqueros and others
http://www.longhunt.com/

I really like their 3.5" one!

Coal Dragger
07-20-13, 13:10
Depending on just how "authentic" you are looking for I don't have a lot of suggestions beyond those offered here for the various high quality clones like the USFA, or an actual Colt SAA.

If you are looking for something more shootable and field worthy with adjustable sights, you might also look at the new Colt New Frontier.

I myself am very partial to the only revolver I own, which is a Freedom Arms, albeit in a larger than SAA frame with a 5 shot cylinder. Actually I have two cylinders, one in .454 Casull and the other in .45ACP. At any rate Freedom Arms makes excellent revolvers, and the guns are very very very tightly fitted and precise. They offer both fixed or adjustable sights. Mine is a Model 83, which is their large frame revolver, and they also offer the Model 97 which is a medium frame that is roughly the size of a SAA maybe just a hair smaller. The Model 97 can be had in .357 Magnum with a 6 shot cylinder; however larger calibers like .41 Magnum, .44 Special, and .45 Colt all use a 5 shot cylinder.

All of their guns come with test targets, and if mine is any indication they will live up to their test target if you can do your part. I use mine a lot and it is becoming my favorite handgun because it is so easy to hit with and it is very versatile. I recently mounted a Trijicon RMR on top of it on a custom Freedom Arms mount, and I've been playing with that combo for awhile. It's nice to have the option to add optics easily if you desire and Freedom Arms offers this.

peruna
07-20-13, 16:53
USFA went tits up.

You can get parts here: http://tenring.com/firearms-single-actions/

Jaykayyy
07-20-13, 17:02
Yep, USFA is no longer in the cowboy gun market.... sucks I wanted to get an OMNI pretty bad.

Picked up an unfired (well it was till I got it :)) 1985 Colt SAA New Frontier and the quality is awesome, though some have said that the quality has gone down from the 1st and 2nd gen SAA's.

You wont be disappointed going with the venerable Colt.

peruna
07-20-13, 17:19
I myself am very partial to the only revolver I own, which is a Freedom Arms, albeit in a larger than SAA frame with a 5 shot cylinder. Actually I have two cylinders, one in .454 Casull and the other in .45ACP. At any rate Freedom Arms makes excellent revolvers, and the guns are very very very tightly fitted and precise. They offer both fixed or adjustable sights. Mine is a Model 83, which is their large frame revolver, and they also offer the Model 97 which is a medium frame that is roughly the size of a SAA maybe just a hair smaller. The Model 97 can be had in .357 Magnum with a 6 shot cylinder; however larger calibers like .41 Magnum, .44 Special, and .45 Colt all use a 5 shot cylinder.

All of their guns come with test targets, and if mine is any indication they will live up to their test target if you can do your part. I use mine a lot and it is becoming my favorite handgun because it is so easy to hit with and it is very versatile. I recently mounted a Trijicon RMR on top of it on a custom Freedom Arms mount, and I've been playing with that combo for awhile. It's nice to have the option to add optics easily if you desire and Freedom Arms offers this.

http://imageshack.us/a/img31/6950/pb110017.jpg

Field Grade in .454 Casull

http://imageshack.us/a/img819/7186/pb110014.jpg

.454 Casull (left) compared to .44 Magnum.

Coal Dragger
07-20-13, 21:31
Nice revolver Peruna, mine is a Premier Grade with a 6" bbl.

Plumber237
07-21-13, 19:04
I was interested in getting a SAA clone for a range toy and nostalgia gun. I went with a plain Jane Uberti cattleman and have been happy with it so far. I've got around 150 rounds through it, I really enjoy shooting it, and it's a very accurate gun. Given that it doesn't have a ton of rounds through it, am I missing something about not buying cheaper SAA clones? Problems down the road? I had no experience with western guns, so I bought it based on it being made using the original Colt plans and they were carried in local stores, so that I could see them firsthand.