PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Optics

jjakeyoon
07-19-13, 19:21
So I was looking at Aimpoint stuff today, and saw how cheap the Aimpoint PRO was as opposed to the Comp ML3. The PRO is $408 as opposed to ML3+mount being around $670. Is there a reason? As far as I see it, the PRO can do everything ML3 can do and more like night vision and coming with a mount. The only thing PRO falls behind the ML3 is the battery life and that isn't even too bad. 30,000 hours vs. 50,000 hours is the only thing ML3 seems to have the upper hand at. Opinions? Thoughts?

cop1211
07-19-13, 19:36
Sounds like you already know the answer.

Go for the Pro no reason to get the M3.

vandal5
07-19-13, 19:43
I could be wrong but I believe the Pro has (as you stated less battery life) and not as many brightness setting. Think the ML3 has 9 daylight settings and the Pro has 6 or so for daylight plus the NV if you can use it.

If you look around you can find the Pro for a little less than 408 though. I had got mine through lapolicegear.com and used the lapg code. Right now it is 419 and that would bring you down to 398. Not much difference but may help pay shipping. You may even find it cheaper than that if you shop around.

mdrums
07-19-13, 21:43
I have a PRO...although I am somewhat new at this I find the red dot can be adjusted plenty bright. So far I have not had to turn it up to the highest setting.

I was going to get either the T1 Aimpoint or the PRO. I put both on my gun and actually found the PRO easier to use with both eyes open due to it is larger. I thought it was just me doing something wrong but the sales guy who could have sold me the more expensive T1 (I had the money no problem spending it) said some people find the larger PRO easir to use than the smaller T1.

jmk
07-19-13, 21:47
http://www.aimpoint.com/us/products/product-comparison/

brianc142
07-19-13, 23:49
The T1 is my go to but the Pro is hands down the best bang for your buck in the Aimpoint lineup or in any RDS lineup IMO.

2_wacko
07-20-13, 11:39
Go with the Pro.

Voodoo_Man
07-20-13, 12:01
The PRO is an awesome RDS and I highly recommend anyone to get it if you are looking to start out in the RDS world or just need a good, but cheap (relative to the field) optic.

The T1/H1 is a no brainer, if you want a high-end RDS that is going to last and work no bells and whistles, just work.

In my opinion, your decision should come down to the PRO or the T1/H1 and which one would work better for your specific application.

Failure2Stop
07-20-13, 12:17
The PRO is an awesome RDS and I highly recommend anyone to get it if you are looking to start out in the RDS world or just need a good, but cheap (relative to the field) optic.

The T1/H1 is a no brainer, if you want a high-end RDS that is going to last and work no bells and whistles, just work.

Well put.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

rojocorsa
07-20-13, 17:09
I took a leap of faith on the PRO after feedback from this site, and I am happy with mine. While an ACOG is nice, it costs almost twice as much and I have other things I need to get.

I actually ended up buying my PRO through the EE. Look around for deals. Who cares if they're slightly used, I think.

All of the above being said, I've only shot it at 50 yds to help dial it in. (Then I went -4 clicks vertically so that it would be zeroed for 100). I must now confirm that zero and try it at other ranges. I think I'll do so next weekend, after I get my SSA installed. Can't wait.

2_wacko
07-20-13, 17:22
Heres my Colt with Aim Point Pro.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/2_wacko/5411B406-887D-4757-98C4-B4230623E95D-5394-000004392B7B6E6D_zps96d5f636.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/2_wacko/media/5411B406-887D-4757-98C4-B4230623E95D-5394-000004392B7B6E6D_zps96d5f636.jpg.html)

weggy
07-20-13, 18:56
I've used the Pro for a couple of years now, and am very happy with it.

Crow Hunter
07-21-13, 08:56
One thing to keep in mind about battery life is the setting.

Aimpoints are rated at their battery life based on a specific setting which is not the highest setting.

While the Pro will be good for 30,000 hours at setting X, setting it and leaving it at X+1 or X+2 will greatly reduce the battery life.

I know the battery life setting for the Aimpoint M4 is not direct daylight visible. It is great for cloudy, or twilight and too bright for complete darkness but nearly invisible from around 9:00 am - 3:00 pm in bright sunlight.

Just something to keep in mind when using battery life as a comparison.

jjakeyoon
07-23-13, 15:11
After exchanging a couple of emails with Aimpoint, I decided that the PRO is just the comp M2 with ACET (Advanced Circuit Efficiency Technology) as opposed to M2's CET (Circuit Efficiency Technology). They said although the website states the PRO's housing as "High Strength aluminum", it is produced the same as others and that they are extruded out of series 7 aluminum. So it literally is the Comp M2 with 30,000 hr battery life or the M3 with 30,000 hr battery life depending on however you want to look at it.

As for the relatively decreased price, I'm guessing that that is simply Aimpoint's service to police officers for the PRO was originally designed for low budget officers and agencies.

camoman
07-24-13, 12:31
Can anyone tell me if the pro takes the same battery as a comp m3? Right now I have a strikefire on my AK, I would like to upgrade my optic on my AK. I have a comp m3 on my AR, and love it, just don't want to drop over $600 more dollars on it.

jmnielsen
07-24-13, 12:34
Can anyone tell me if the pro takes the same battery as a comp m3? Right now I have a strikefire on my AK, I would like to upgrade my optic on my AK. I have a comp m3 on my AR, and love it, just don't want to drop over $600 more dollars on it.

Yes they do.

camoman
07-24-13, 12:37
Yes they do.

Awesome, thanks.

skullworks
07-24-13, 13:11
I could be wrong but I believe the Pro has (as you stated less battery life) and not as many brightness setting.
Though fewer settings the high and the low settings are the same, it's just fewer steps to get there.

Someone here calculated the theoretical battery life for the T1 on the lowest setting and it came out to something like 50 years (or was it longer?) The limiting factor was the mechanical life of the battery, not when the charge would have been exhausted by the sight.

markm
07-24-13, 13:13
I like my C3 a little better than my PRO. Daylight settings are a little more versatile and the C3 is a little "slicker"

Unfortunately, the PRO is cheaper to buy than the C3, so... what are you going to do? flip up caps, a mount, and the knob cover retaining thing for less money? Hard to pass on the PRO.

mikejg
07-29-13, 21:23
I was set to pick up a PRO for my new carbine to maintain commonality (I have an M2 on my other carbine), but I ended up finding an R-1 for about $330 and couldn't pass it up. That and an ADM mount and I'm at the price point of a PRO. Seemed like a no brainer to me.

NeoNeanderthal
07-29-13, 21:30
I was set to pick up a PRO for my new carbine to maintain commonality (I have an M2 on my other carbine), but I ended up finding an R-1 for about $330 and couldn't pass it up. That and an ADM mount and I'm at the price point of a PRO. Seemed like a no brainer to me.

Cant beat that, I bought one from midway 2 years or so ago. Wish i bought 5.

ramairthree
08-01-13, 14:00
I prefer my micro to a PRO,
and,
to be honest, actually prefer the EoTech to either.
(although a little edge on durability and a big edge on battery life, etc. go to the AimPoint, I just like the non-tube layout better)

BUT,
when all is said and done, I have a PRO on two of the family carbines,
and I do not thing there is a better quality and price ratio in a RDS anywhere.

I would get the PRO if I was you.
If you are going to spend the higher price, I would get a Micro, not the M series.