PDA

View Full Version : First build, and a nice shooter

Pathfinder2041
07-20-13, 06:54
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/Pathfinder2041/photo-6.jpg (http://s532.photobucket.com/user/Pathfinder2041/media/photo-6.jpg.html)

It's a "Frankengun" but really fun to build and shoot. About the only thing left untouched is the Buffer tube and Safety lever on the Eagle Arms lower I bought as a pre-ban rifle in 1993. The rifle as it sits has mag-pul stock and pistol grip, ACT 4.5# trigger, Black Hole Weaponry 16" mid length SS barrel, SA&A stripped upper with parts kit, Midwest industries SS 2nd Gen 12" rail forearm, YHM phantom flash suppressor. The sight is my old Trijicon TA 21 reflex sight from 2003. I was going for a "tight and light" rifle, and right now this seems to fit the bill. Using Troy or Mag Pul Gen 3 mags since they drop free when released in this receiver. Will end up with grip panels from MI and a cerakote finish in the off season this winter when the out door ranges are too soggy to use. Will spend the sumer getting this thing dialed in and doing specific hand-loads to see what it will do group wise. Enjoy and any feedback is welcomed.

Hinterland
07-25-13, 18:53
Be careful. Once you start building these things, you can't stop. Congratulations on your first build!

Pathfinder2041
07-27-13, 23:52
I have started handloading specifically for this rifle, and I have been pleased with the results so far. I was shooting ragged 1/2" holes with 55 grain hornady V-Max over IMR 4198. I just batched 4 more loads today to test tomorrow!

SWThomas
07-28-13, 13:46
Looks cool! Congrats on finishing the build! Welcome to the addiction. :cool:

Pathfinder2041
08-02-13, 06:59
I have a Vortex 1-4 scope with mount and more hand loads on the way....this rifle is doing mighty fine with what i am feeding it, can't wait to get back to the range on Sunday!!! I'm going to cerakote the whole setup this winter with OD green, Patriot Brown, and FDE... have a shop that is local that should do the whole thing for around $200.