PDA

View Full Version : aimpoint pro battery life

ace4059
07-20-13, 17:36
I was wondering what the "standard" life expectancy of a battery of an aimpoint PRO. I know aimpoint says 30,000 hours at setting 7.
I have mine on setting 6 and I have to replace the battery every 5 or 6 months. I got it when aimpoint was only selling the PRO to LEO, so I think Ive had it for about 2 years now and have gone through 3 batteries. I went to the range and had to turn it up to setting 10 today and the dot was still dim. Looks like time for battery #4.

Is this "short" battery life the norm? I noticed 4 other threads on the net about the battery life on the PRO. What life are you getting out of yours?

rojocorsa
07-20-13, 17:40
I just got mine, but I turn it off when I am not using it.

I also can't see the dot until a few clicks in, maybe like 5...I don't know if that's normal.

Zane1844
07-20-13, 17:44
I just got mine, but I turn it off when I am not using it.

I also can't see the dot until a few clicks in, maybe like 5...I don't know if that's normal.

I believe those may be NV settings.

weggy
07-20-13, 18:51
I believe those may be NV settings.

I turn mine off when not in use. Not being a cop or "tier 1" operator I see no reason to leave it on while it sits in the safe.

RPD03
07-20-13, 20:10
All our issue rifles have pros on them and only replace the batteries once a year. None have ever needed it (they are constantly on, brightness level varies on individual/shift) but we replace all optic and weapon light batteries at annual inspection.

lunchbox
07-20-13, 21:17

ace4059
07-25-13, 07:31
I received word from aimpoint that if set on a higher setting then it greatly drains battery life. Setting 9 will drain a new battery in less than a month. That's a drastic decrease in battery life.

camoman
07-25-13, 11:19
I received word from aimpoint that if set on a higher setting then it greatly drains battery life. Setting 9 will drain a new battery in less than a month. That's a drastic decrease in battery life.
Try that with an Eotech, or any other red dot sight. Aimpoint still has them all beat by miles on battery life.

markm
07-25-13, 11:23
Mine only lasted 29,997 hours. I'm pissed. :mad:

GH41
07-25-13, 18:20
Mine only lasted 29,997 hours. I'm pissed. :mad:

I don't understand what the big deal is either! GH

Chameleox
07-25-13, 20:22

Interesting... I have my H1 set on 9 typically while on patrol (8 if its cloudy). It gets switched to 7 or 8 in the evening, and is usually stored on 8 overnight. I've been on this battery for a year and a half with no issues.

Again, if my "constant on" optic still needs a battery every month or so, that really isn't bad.

KUSA
07-25-13, 20:25
I turn mine off when not in use but if the battery goes out on me I keep an extra one in my ACS.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Eric D.
07-25-13, 23:37
My PRO has been constantly on since I got it almost a year ago. Its been stored at different settings in between range trips but its never been left all the way up. I think the highest its been stored at was two clicks down from max.

Split66
07-26-13, 00:33
My pro is stored near max practically 24/7 for HD use. It took 1 year almost to the day to finally not want to go to maximum. I only turned the sight down for distance shooting etc. and never switched it off for more than a second or two.

ROSS4712
07-26-13, 02:03
Quit bitching and asking about battery life. Replace your batteries at a normal scheduled interval. WTF is everyone so worried and trying to make a friggin $3 battery last 5 years?????

The battery is the weakest link in any optic. Even the highest quality batteries shit the bed. Never trust you optics battery to last that length of time. All it takes is one day at 9 or 10 and you've significantly decreased the battery life.

I replace the batteries in all my ML3's, M4's and H-1 every quarter. Total cost is about $20. I'll take the $20 and not bet my life on a battery that might fail or be low. Its a battery folks and they run down. It isn't a nuclear powered Aimpoint or Eotech like we'd all like to have someday.

Don't trust your life to a battery or how cheap you'd like to remain. I was on a presidential detail and placed a new Duracell 1/3 N in my ML3 for the few days we were on the detail. I had the rifle set and on setting 8 it was dead in 5 hours. Bad battery is all it was. I carry spare batteries for all my lights, lasers and optics. I threw the extra in and was good to go.

NEVER TRUST THE BATTERY, PERIOD!

Iraqgunz
07-26-13, 04:19
Because some of us actually use them for home and self defense. I also don't keep mine in the safe all day. The batteries are cheap and if you can't afford to replace the battery every 3-5 years, sell the optic.

I turn mine off when not in use. Not being a cop or "tier 1" operator I see no reason to leave it on while it sits in the safe.

ROSS4712
07-26-13, 11:24
Because some of us actually use them for home and self defense. I also don't keep mine in the safe all day. The batteries are cheap and if you can't afford to replace the battery every 3-5 years, sell the optic.

DITTO!!!

I don't know about the rest of you but the batteries my iron sights came with have never ran out.:D