PDA

View Full Version : Another FSB/taper pin question

NeoNeanderthal
07-20-13, 23:11
Before I get flamed, I already did a search and came out more confused than before. I'm an armorer but have not done a lot of work installing barrels, barrel nuts, and FSB's.

I currently have a shaved down FSB it is the stock one that came with my bcm upper. I installed a Troy alpha rail a year ago and shaved it down so the rail would go over it. I'm not a fan of set screw gas blocks.

Anyway, I now regret shaving my FSB down and want a full fixed front sight base, and am planning to cut out my rail to accommodate one. All the Front Sight Bases that are online are not predrilled. How can i get a NEW fixed Front sight base and install it solidly with taper pins?

All the threads are about removing and reinstalling FSB's. Which i've already done before (in the process of shaving mine down).

Eric D.
07-21-13, 00:39
No matter what you do, you won't end up with optimal results. A good machinist could locate the original holes and drill a new fsb to match them pretty closely while keeping the fsb indexed correctly but its not something that is commonly done and would probably require developing specialized fixturing. If you were to try pinning a new fsb as if the components were new you could end up with too little contact area between the pins and the barrel because of how the new cuts would overlap the old ones.
Adco firearms does fsb pinning on new, stripped barrels. I had them do one earlier this year and it turned our great. You might try emailing Steve and explaining your situation. Of the many shops that could do the work, his is the one I would trust first.

sewvacman
07-21-13, 00:51
Eric D. is right. Each taper pinned FSB is custom fit to that barrel. I can't see the job ever being truly 100%. Imo I would buy a whole new barrel with an FSB already installed and sell the old barrel. Probably come close to breaking even.

side note: why do you want to switch back?

Iraqgunz
07-21-13, 00:59
You will find the chalice of Lancelot before you get the FSB to line up correctly. Your only true option is to buy a barrel from BCM and an FSB and have it drilled and pinned.

az doug
07-21-13, 01:15
Taper pins can be driven into the barrel and the ends cut to the contour of the barrel. Then a new front sight base is installed drilled, reamed and pinned.

That is not the optimum way of doing it, but it will work. IG gave you the optimum way. Buy a new barrel...

NeoNeanderthal
07-21-13, 01:18
You will find the chalice of Lancelot before you get the FSB to line up correctly. Your only true option is to buy a barrel from BCM and an FSB and have it drilled and pinned.

Ugh oh well. Just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something here. I could not for the life of me understand how it was possible to mate a new one to an already drilled barrel. At least I wasn't overlooking some obvious answer.

Thanks guys.

Not interested in cutting corners. Shoulda manned up and cut my rail instead of my FSB. Maybe ill just sell the whole shebang. Anyone interested in a 16" lightweight middy bcm upper with 4k rounds through it and a shaved FSB????

Col_Crocs
07-21-13, 03:40
Might be chaper for you to just get a DD fixed front sight. Close enough at half the trouble IMHO.