PDA

View Full Version : USGI Mags Vs. Lancer L5 AWM Mags?

Jellybean
07-21-13, 13:34
Ok, so I have a chance to get some of either the USGIs or Lancer L5AWMs.
Which would I be better served to go with?

**See update in post #6**

There really wasn't any direct comparison I saw here between the two- it seems the folks that like the L5s swear by them and the folks that like USGI swear by those.... the usual thing. Not to mention if I recall correctly every thread on the Lancer's was 2 years old or so.

I have a couple of my own thoughts on the matter, having seen/handled both;

I don't like how short USGI mags are in a pouch- harder to draw, but on the flip side, sometimes more compact can be better.
I don't like the sharp(ish) metal edges on the USGI mags- seems they would not be kind to tight nylon pouches, especially if only 500D. Metal feed lips/body apparently dent, bend and spread if you stare at them funny.
However, it seems that USGI mags will fit and drop from most every rifle available, even with a tight magwell, and can be more durable in cold weather, and I'll suck up the cons and use these just cuz' their available damn near everywhere.

OTOH... having just fondled an L5 AWM, I love the size, profile, and molded-in grip texture. I seems like the dimensions to a USGI are real close (unscientific holding side by side and pouch draws/inserts), so one could assume they'll work with most everything like a USGI?
I also did not find it an issue to insert on a closed bolt with full 30 rounds like some people claim (granted, sample of 1) which is a problem with the USGI's. In fact I'm sure the L5 is superior to the USGI in every way, as it's like a USGI/Pmag hybrid.

HOWEVER- that hybrid idea is what makes me question if the extra cost is worth it over the USGI's if I'm going to have some of the same issues- namely;
-How well do the steel feedlips hold up versus aluminum?
-If we have another long term ban, can these be repaired with a tool like a USGI mag?
-How much more or less is bending damage (dropped/stepped on mags, and such) or spreading going to be an issue with the steel lips?
-Are these steel lips going to snap off on me? Seriously... They seem stuck on pretty tight, but being plastic under them I can imagine them starting to get loose and wiggly after a while. Not to mention, when I dissassembled the L5, the main body was pretty stiff, but the plastic under the metal lips was somewhat flexible. And some of the attachment points were.... less than inspiring IMO.

So that's the issue- thoughts?

Yes, I could just continue happily using Pmags, but I'm bored with them and want something new.:D
Frankly, I liked the Lancers (preliminary) enough that if the above concerns sort out, I may start buying these over Pmags...:secret:
Not to mention it can't be a bad idea to have a couple different mag types on hand for testing and such.

I added a poll to make this thread more interactive, and so the ADD folks don't have to reply. :p
(Although I'd really still appreciate some thoughts on the concern section)

Aaron_B
07-21-13, 14:10
For me personally I don't care if it's a PMAG, GI mag, Lancer mag, or whatever wiz bang mag it is as long as the damn thing works and drop free.

Not sure if you have read this thread yet, but there is lots of info on mags in it.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81074&highlight=journey+mag

_Stormin_
07-21-13, 14:40
If PMAGs aren't an option I would simply stick with the USGI mags. I do not see any tangible benefit that justifies spending almost twice as much money per mag.

MC988
07-21-13, 14:46
I have lancer, Pmag, USGI and HK. The smoke Lancer are my favorite, but if I had too chose one it would be the USGI (with a good follower). As reliable as the others and easy to rebuild/maintain.

hypeRR600
07-21-13, 15:09
Personally, I like to think I stick with quality mags, even if it will be slightly pricier, and I've never regretted it. Buy once, cry once. That said, I only have PMAGS and USGI mags in my collection.

Jellybean
07-21-13, 15:25
Let me clear up one minor issue real quick before this gets to far along- I have the rare opportunity to get the Lancer mags at near what a USGI mag costs....
Hence this post- otherwise it would be a no-brainer.

eodcolret
07-21-13, 15:27
Just picked up 10 of the L5 AWM FDE for $10.99 per mag. I am happy with them and it was a great price.

SteveL
07-21-13, 15:49
Where are y'all finding them so cheap?

eodcolret
07-21-13, 15:52

They were sold by Primary Arms in TX. There website address is www.primaryarms.com Unsure if they still have them in stock but you can try.

SteveL
07-21-13, 15:54
They were sold by Primary Arms in TX. There website address is www.primaryarms.com Unsure if they still have them in stock but you can try.

They're all out of stock now, but thanks for the link.

eodcolret
07-21-13, 15:57
They're all out of stock now, but thanks for the link.

They do have the Troy 30RD Battlemag for same price ($10.99) and also others.

SteveL
07-21-13, 16:11
I'm not really in need of mags right now, but I wouldn't mind trying out one or two of the Lancers at $11 each.

snakedoctor
07-21-13, 16:14
Have you tries the new M3 PMAGs yet.

Krull
07-21-13, 16:26
I'd go for the Lancers,the AR is one of few guns that the aftermarket mags are a better choice then the ones made for the gun.

mkmckinley
07-21-13, 16:37
I like the Lancers over any other mag with Pmags running a close second. Nothing wrong with USGI but if I'm shelling out my own hard earned money I'll go with Lancers every time. The steel feed lips are a big plus and I like being able to see how many rounds I have in a mag and if there is any crud building up that needs to be hosed out.

Grand58742
07-21-13, 16:46

Rainier Arms has the black and FDE at $15.

hypeRR600
07-21-13, 17:47
Let me clear up one minor issue real quick before this gets to far along- I have the rare opportunity to get the Lancer mags at near what a USGI mag costs....

I think you missed my point...sounds like the Lancers are pretty good quality even at a slightly higher cost. And if you have a rare opportunity to obtain some as you said, then on paper at least, the Lancers would serve you well.
Then again, I was not clear myself in my post:blink:.

Boba Fett v2
07-21-13, 20:05
My preference, based on what I currently own and use:

Lancer
Steel
PMAG/EMAG
Aluminum USGI

...in that order.

07-21-13, 20:25
I'd go for the Lancers,the AR is one of few guns that the aftermarket mags are a better choice then the ones made for the gun.

Okay and Colt mags are fine. I know of multiple former been there, done that's that recommend USGI's over plastic fantastic. I have a ton of PMags and Lancers, but am slowly switching to all USGI; and I'm not the only one.

Jellybean
07-21-13, 22:06
Have you tries the new M3 PMAGs yet.

Not yet- looks interesting especially with the new low-pro baseplate, but I don't like the new tab thingy on the side- pouch fitting concerns and such.

kaltesherz
07-22-13, 01:36
I'm with 6933 on this, USGI are pretty much all I use now. But I only use Okay mags with MagPul followers, Ranger Plates, and 100mph tape on the bottom. I started using Pmags back in 2007 when they first came out, and use them overseas- but in the end prefer properly modded issue mags downloaded to 28 rounds. They fit my pouches / kit better, are free (except the mods), and I find mag changes faster. Also when they wear out, I feel better at shitcanning them.

I will be picking up a couple 40 round Pmags soon though, we'll see how they hold up. Magpul usually makes pretty good shit, and if it fails they'll replace it (yes, I've killed Pmags before).

Krull
07-22-13, 02:33
I've had many of the aluminum mags,don't get me wrong they aren't junk but if you look at them you can see the stories of them being disposable probably aren't far off the mark.

Not like an AK mag that you could in all probability beat a person to death with and it'd still work.

If you dropped the aluminum ones on the ground and stepped on them I'd be looking them over really good before I'd trust them,the synthetic ones I'd just check for cracks and be happy-aluminum bends,plastic flexes or just cracks.

Just my two cents.

Iraqgunz
07-22-13, 02:34
I have a dozen of the opaque Lancer mags that I picked up from Weapon Outfitters earlier this year. I have only used them for normal plinking sessions but they seem perfectly fine.

I wish I have jumped on the deal through Primary Arms. USGI aluminum mags are just fine, but I prefer the PMAG's over the steel or aluminum type mags.

RogerinTPA
07-22-13, 10:22

In that case, roll with the Lancers.

I have a metric shit ton of Pmags, Lancers, USGI type (NHMTG & Bravo Co D&H) and they all have been reliable. I still have many Gen 1 Pmags from 6 years ago when they first surfaced that have been used on a weekly basis and many carbine classes since, that are still going strong.

sinlessorrow
07-30-13, 16:59
Did you end up getting them? I have been running 10 Lancer AWM's exclusively for the past 1.5yrs I believe and have not had a single stoppage.

They even worked with my overgassed 10.3" rifle that had a .081 gas port and fed with no trouble.

jmk
07-30-13, 20:53
...rare opportunity to get the Lancer mags at near what a USGI mag costs....

you'll always be able to get USGI at low price, so get the lancers cheap while you have the chance.

Obscenejesster
07-31-13, 01:41
Out of the mags I own and use in a regular basis, here are my top three choices in order.

1. Lancer
2. Pmag
3. USGI

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Redbeardsong
07-31-13, 17:41
I'd take Lancers over USGI. I like the steel feed lips and the polymer body.

JusticeM4
08-03-13, 01:56
While I've never had any issues with GI's, I love the translucent Lancers. I have both the older model and the new L5 AWM and I find that I use them more (if not as much) than Pmags.

The Lancers are pricier though, which is why I still have more Pmags and GI's.