PDA

View Full Version : Magpul asap plate question

Honorthecall81
07-21-13, 15:49
From a engineering point, is the anti rotational shim designed to keep both the buffer tube from spinning if loosened and also the asap plate? Or just the ASAP plate itself? I understood it to be both

It seems that after I got it back from being duracoated that I'm having issues. I just sat my rifle down on the floor and I felt my buttstock move. I looked and my castle nut was loose (This was supposed to be staked properly by gentlemen who duracoated).
My buffer tube also could just keep spinning. I checked and my
anti rotational shim is still in there. Maybe he didnt put it back in right.
Does it just need tightned and restaked properly or maybe someone
has pics as to how the anti rotational shim should set in it's place.

I hope I am explaining this correctly as it seems that sometimes
what i'm trying to say gets lost in translation over the computer.

Col_Crocs
07-21-13, 16:37
Your castle nut is loose. The shim is there to engage the RE's channel and prevent it from spinning. The ASAP itself has side tabs that prevent it from spinning. That said, the shim is pretty hard to get wrong but there are 2 that come with it. I dont recall exactly which is for which but one is designed for a milspec RE and the other commercial. Just to clarify, can your RE completely spin or just move from the castle nut being loose?

Honorthecall81
07-21-13, 16:42
Your castle nut is loose. The shim is there to engage the RE's channel and prevent it from spinning. The ASAP itself has side tabs that prevent it from spinning. That said, the shim is pretty hard to get wrong but there are 2 that come with it. I dont recall exactly which is for which but one is designed for a milspec RE and the other commercial. Just to clarify, can your RE completely spin or just move from the castle nut being loose?

I can completely spin the castle nut and the buffer tube. Thats why I'm worried, because the anti rotational shim is still in there. It's not
black like I remember. All the anodizing is off of it. But I don't think it's supposed to do that. Thanks for your reply btw.