PDA

View Full Version : How to fire form 9mm into 40 s&w

VIP3R 237
07-21-13, 16:53
In case any of you have ever wondered how to do this.

First you load your 9mm magazine, then insert magazine into the 40 s&w version of your gun. Next rack the slide back and careful aim down range and squeeze the trigger. Now you may run into some malfunctions as your slide may not cycle completely but this is normal considering what we are trying to accomplish. Next pick up your new fire formed 40 s&w brass! Don't worry about the case head being too small, it won't cause any problems. :jester:

Ok joke is over.

Yesterday my family and some friends were plinking at a local gravel pit. There was another party there as well and I noticed one of them keep on having problems with his handgun. So I waltz on over to see if I can lend a hand and I spot some of the empty brass on the ground.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/20130721_153631_zps185226a6.jpg
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/20130721_153740_zpsa366c7d5.jpg

Oh Shit right? We had a little discussion about how they are lucky no one was hurt and to always use the correct ammo in the firearm.

Surprisingly the gun did not look damaged, but I did hand them my card if they wanted me to take a more detailed look at it.

Just another afternoon at the gravel pit... :suicide:

Krull
07-21-13, 16:57
Accuracy probably sucked dingo nads too :jester:

Firecop203
07-21-13, 21:31
Sounds like another one of those "hold my beer and watch this" moments. All kidding aside, glad no injuries or damage to the gun.

Vulture38
07-21-13, 21:43
I suspect that stuff like this happens a lot more often than most of us realize.

Zane1844
07-21-13, 21:43
How did they manage to do this? I mean is it hard to not notice that you are putting the wrong mag full of the wrong caliber rounds into your gun?

Today at the range an AK went KABOOM and blew off the top of the receiver. No idea why. Someone more acknowledged than me was talking with the shocked man. I think I heard out of battery detonation.

All I could think of saying was, I am no gunsmith, but I do not think the AK is suppose to do that.

Clint
07-21-13, 22:02
A similar think happened to a buddy of mine.

Loaded a mag full of .32ACP into a .380ACP pistol.

It went bang but had to be manually cycled.

This went on for about 4-5 rounds before we figured it out.

The headspace length is exactly the same on these two and the diameter is only .044" smaller.

anachronism
07-21-13, 22:29
It works, and 9mm ammo fits and feeds in most .40 mags. I bought some high cap 40 mags a couple of mag bans ago to keep my Ruger P89 running. Anyway, the extractor will hold the 9mm in place well enough for it to fire. Accuracy is non-existent, and accuracy is abysmal, but it will fire.

Wildcat
07-22-13, 00:40
It works, and 9mm ammo fits and feeds in most .40 mags. I bought some high cap 40 mags a couple of mag bans ago to keep my Ruger P89 running. Anyway, the extractor will hold the 9mm in place well enough for it to fire. Accuracy is non-existent, and accuracy is abysmal, but it will fire.

Wonder what the resultant muzzle velocity is for that combination.

ruchik
07-22-13, 01:04
Well if you think about it, most new shooters would have no idea what bullets go in which gun. If you've got a Glock 19 and a 23, for example, I'm sure those newer to the science will not be closely inspecting the caliber markings on the slide. Since the guns and mags look identical, it wouldn't be a huge stretch to imagine a newbie could load the wrong mag into the wrong gun.

ST911
07-22-13, 01:06
How did they manage to do this? I mean is it hard to not notice that you are putting the wrong mag full of the wrong caliber rounds into your gun?

Combine 9 and 40 shooters in one class, put the cases of ammo in close proximity to each other, and you'd be surprised how often it occurs. Many would also be surprised to see that the guns sometimes run well enough for it to pass notice for awhile.

Psalms144.1
07-22-13, 06:53
This is the primary reason why I suggest in the STRONGEST terms that people never cross caliber lines when they're thinking about buying a "family" of firearms. For example, runing the deck with Glocks in 9mm is good (34, 17, 19, 26); having a G23 primary and G19 "trainer" or backup is, all too frequently, an invitation to problems like this...

This is also the reason why, when I'm running a range, I put 9mm and .40 shooters in different relays, and separate the ammunition supplies on opposite sides of the range. Still have to stop at least one inattentive future fire-former per session, usually...

Glad no one was hurt!

PA PATRIOT
07-22-13, 10:30
I have seen more then one person trying to shoot .380acp in a 9mm pistol or .22LR in a .22 Magnum. Just recently someone was trying to shoot .308 in a 3006 rifle at the club because they wanted less recoil, lucky the person with the shooter stop him before he pulled the trigger.

IZinterrogator
07-22-13, 11:31
I had an incident once where a .40 cal round ended up in a box of .45 WWB. Went through my USP fine, but that taught me that even boxes of factory ammo can be screwed up. My best guess is someone was showing a friend the difference in size between a .40 and .45 at the store and put the rounds back in the wrong boxes.

WickedWillis
07-22-13, 12:13
That is pretty scary. Maybe that's why they say "DO NOT OPEN BOXES" at most ammo shops. Glad it didnt effect your weapon.

I had an incident once where a .40 cal round ended up in a box of .45 WWB. Went through my USP fine, but that taught me that even boxes of factory ammo can be screwed up. My best guess is someone was showing a friend the difference in size between a .40 and .45 at the store and put the rounds back in the wrong boxes.

markm
07-22-13, 12:32
Stupid unsupported chambers!! :p

ST911
07-22-13, 12:35
That is pretty scary. Maybe that's why they say "DO NOT OPEN BOXES" at most ammo shops.

Product switching, both accidental and intentional.
Theft.
Spill, loss.
Wearing the box and diminishing appearance.

Unless I'm buying a closed case, I open the boxes to make sure that they are full and contain what they're supposed to.

TMS951
07-22-13, 13:23
What type of pistol were they using for this little exercise?

misanthropist
07-22-13, 14:09
I don't think this person quite gets the concept of making .357 Sig.

Flawless, sub-moa fit and finish...all day long.

Michael2007
07-22-13, 14:26
I had a .380 round in a box of 9mm. Didn't notice it until my glock had a stovepipe. Scared the shot outta me. I pay much more attention when loading mags now.