PDA

View Full Version : Gen2 G17 ends long and good service in style

montrala
07-22-13, 04:16
My friend had and Glock 17. It was Gen2 (CNM series), that he bought used some10+ years ago. It was not used a lot by security company that owned it, they mostly carry, rarely shoot (even for training). But my friend, he shot it a lot. And he shot it good (he is one of best IPSC and IDPA shooters in country). He even cleaned it... once a year or so.

On recent IPSC match, he started to have accuracy problems. Other friend suggested that there might some micro cracks developed on slide. He wanted to show how to do it with some oil and chalk, took pistol and returned it saying " there is actually no need of oil and chalk...."

http://tomek.timsi.pl/a.JPG

Then other friend looked at it as well and said "hmmm... there is something missing here...."

http://tomek.timsi.pl/c.JPG

http://tomek.timsi.pl/d.JPG

More detailed inspection let to yet another find:

http://tomek.timsi.pl/b.JPG

Keep in mind, that this pistol was still running with no malfunctions, only with some accuracy loss (actually probably more because barrel was no more locking tight in slide - it had some 0.5-1mm play when in battery). We estimate that pistol shot no less than 70,000 rounds, but not more than 100,000. Some of it were 9x19 NATO loads (+P equivalent), some were steel cased, some were with plated steel jacket, whatever could be bought cheap here.

What is the point of this story? Modern pistols really can go for long time. They can even keep going after they are broken. They can keep going with almost not maintenance at all. But they still require at least to be periodically checked against wear and tear, because when they go down, they do it in style.

In case of my friend, this was his only pistol (here we need license for every firearm, and his is for one pistol only) and not only competition one. He has new production Gen3 G17 coming his way in next two weeks.

I hope you found story entertaining.

polymorpheous
07-22-13, 05:06
Cool thread.

What condition is the frame and lower components in?
He could just buy another complete upper assembly.

montrala
07-22-13, 05:24
Cool thread.

What condition is the frame and lower components in?
He could just buy another complete upper assembly.

Frame and small stuff is OK, but he needed to scrape or sell complete pistol to free slot on his license to buy new pistol.

Here every "vital gun part" is (per European Directive on Firearms) considered separate firearm. I case of autoloader pistol those are: frame, slide, barrel with chamber. So buying upper assy (even if sold as set) would mean second firearm (and needs license). But it is not an issue anyway, as nobody here sells anything but complete pistols. He could order replacement upper and go via licensed gunsmiths to make it back into one pistol, but it probably would take 6-12 months for special order to be fulfilled and probably would cost more than complete pistol.

Only company here who sells "uppers" for pistols is HK with Elite and Expert conversion kits for regular USP full size.

JimmyB62
07-22-13, 06:54
Just curious if he ever replaced the recoil spring assembly? That pistol looks like it took a beating.

montrala
07-22-13, 07:13
Just curious if he ever replaced the recoil spring assembly? That pistol looks like it took a beating.

I'll ask.

ST911
07-22-13, 09:30
Great info for the knowledge base, thanks for posting.

If you take more pictures, would you mind including the lower receiver, but especially the area in and around the dust cover and front frame rails (looking from front to rear)?

montrala
07-22-13, 09:33
Great info for the knowledge base, thanks for posting.

If you take more pictures, would you mind including the lower receiver, but especially the area in and around the dust cover and front frame rails (looking from front to rear)?

I will ask if there are more pictures. Those were taken by owner and are used with his permission. Gun is already gone.

PA PATRIOT
07-22-13, 10:17
Other then the obvious damage that's the cleanest slide I have ever seen with 70K Thur it. My Gen 2 Model-17 with 60K + rounds looks like it has been treated with finish remover at the contact areas.

Glock will replace that slide free of charge in most cases if you can get it to them.

polymorpheous
07-22-13, 10:54
Frame and small stuff is OK, but he needed to scrape or sell complete pistol to free slot on his license to buy new pistol.

Here every "vital gun part" is (per European Directive on Firearms) considered separate firearm. I case of autoloader pistol those are: frame, slide, barrel with chamber. So buying upper assy (even if sold as set) would mean second firearm (and needs license). But it is not an issue anyway, as nobody here sells anything but complete pistols. He could order replacement upper and go via licensed gunsmiths to make it back into one pistol, but it probably would take 6-12 months for special order to be fulfilled and probably would cost more than complete pistol.

Only company here who sells "uppers" for pistols is HK with Elite and Expert conversion kits for regular USP full size.

Jeez.
What a drag.

montrala
07-22-13, 10:57
Most obvious outside sign of wear on this Glock was grip eaten up by his wedding ring. I remember RO on some Level III IPSC match that was thinking that it is illegal modification done to gun grip :rolleyes:

ETA:

Jeez.
What a drag.

Europe. For most it is outrageous that there is any form of private firearms ownership.

reloader550
07-22-13, 11:35
I have a gen2 g17 with the serial number BHN***US thst I bought used 14years ago. Three years ago my slide cracked in the same place on right side ejection port.Called glock they told me to send the gun in for inspection, the gun was returned in two weeks with a new slide.(no charge).I now had a replacement slide on the original frame with the original barrel.About a year and half after the slide was replaced the barrel lug cracked on the original barrel called glock again they told me to send the gun in.Two weeks later gun returned to me with replacement barrel (no charge).I did have to pay both times to ship the gun to glock.I still have this gun and will never part with,in my opinion the gen2 g17 glocks are the best generation guns glock produced.
Stay safe and shoot straight, Jim

theblackknight
07-22-13, 16:43
Most obvious outside sign of wear on this Glock was grip eaten up by his wedding ring. I remember RO on some Level III IPSC match that was thinking that it is illegal modification done to gun grip :rolleyes:

Dude, get picks of that.

montrala
07-23-13, 05:16
UPDATE

Gun is now at gunshop. Former owner will come there by the end of the week and take same more photos.

During his use he replaced only firing pin assembly (broken firing pin), slide catch spring (broken spring), 3 plastic front sights (those tended to fly away from slide) and recently ejector (unnecessary, ejection problems were induced by badly resized bras on reloads he used). He replaced around 20 magazines (when magazine stooped working, eg. do not lock back slide any more - not as preventive measure).

Neville
07-23-13, 07:58
so no recoil spring? then its clear that the slide had to suffer. my personal G17 has around 80.000 rds. (recorded in a shooters book) and looks fine.

jackinfl
07-23-13, 09:03
so no recoil spring? then its clear that the slide had to suffer. my personal G17 has around 80.000 rds. (recorded in a shooters book) and looks fine.

Neville, at what round count are you replacing the RSA?

ggammell
07-23-13, 11:05
These pics need to be in the official glock pic thread. Everyone posts their pretty custom guns but seldom does anyone put their tortured guns in there.

WickedWillis
07-23-13, 11:10
I agree. No offense but it is a damn neat story that reflects how well some of these "plastic" guns work. Thanks for showing this to us rude guys on M4C.

These pics need to be in the official glock pic thread. Everyone posts their pretty custom guns but seldom does anyone put their tortured guns in there.

MistWolf
07-23-13, 11:42
That Glock took quite a bit of use and abuse. A LEO I know took a Glock armorer's class. He said the armorer told him that duty Glock pistols should be replaced every ten years

okie john
07-25-13, 13:39
When I worked on an indoor range, two or three of our G17s cracked as shown in Montrala's first image.

http://tomek.timsi.pl/a.JPG

Our pistols cracked all the way through the slide at this point. They kept running, but the group would move to the extreme 9:00 position on the paper inside of 25 feet.

The range owner estimated these guns had fired north of 100k rounds. I suspect 70-80k is more like it, but that's still a shitload of rounds.

Glock replaced the slides and the guns went back on the line.

Okie John

CAVDOC
07-26-13, 09:53
Most casual shooters will never wear out a gun like this. They tend to be amazingly durable ( modern autos in general and glocks in particular) but it won't be long till some goofball latches onto this thread and asserts these "failures" are due to some inherent weakness- I'll take a 70k service life out of a gun any day- hell my go to glock 19 is about half way there!

ST911
07-26-13, 09:54
I have a gen1 G17 w/ a reported ~100k on it, surplused by a major metro LE agency. GTG thus far, but I suspect that it received no PM whatsoever. When I got it years ago, it still had the original parts (pre-EH upgrade). I think it even had the original RSA.

I'll have to take a closer look at it.

T2C
07-26-13, 09:57
This is good information. Glock also likes to collect data on their pistols with substantial round counts. I would suggest your friend contact Glock, Inc. and see what kind of a deal they will give him on refurbishing the pistol.

montrala
07-26-13, 14:32
My friend does not have this Glock anymore. He needed working pistol ASAP and with how law on firearms is working here, he could not buy new one until he unregistered (sold) his old one. Maybe shop that bought it (for 1zł) will send it to Glock.

JimmyB62
07-26-13, 16:30
Montrala-thanks for posting this and answering all the questions. These types of posts enhance the site.

T2C
07-26-13, 21:53
Was a lions share of the ammunition shot out of the Glock manufactured to European specifications, i.e., higher chamber pressures than SAAMI? Can you provide projectile weight and muzzle velocity of the average cartridge available in your area?

SteveS
07-27-13, 15:26
Seems you got your moneys worth from that Glock.

montrala
07-27-13, 17:16
Was a lions share of the ammunition shot out of the Glock manufactured to European specifications, i.e., higher chamber pressures than SAAMI? Can you provide projectile weight and muzzle velocity of the average cartridge available in your area?

Most of ammo used was manufactured to European service ammo specification. We mostly use 115gr with 1170+fps, 124gr with 1130fps (up to some 1270fps). Recently this Glock was used mostly with softer shooting 154gr, 880fps ammo. Generally what we use in 9mm fits in range of IDPA power factor between 128,000 and 157,000.