PDA

View Full Version : Getting the woman into AR shooting

djegators
07-22-13, 20:15
I finally convinced the gf to go AR. There are some issues, mainly involving very sensitive ears, cross-eye dominance, and some reluctance to try unknown things.

Anyways, I got her to try some of my ARs, and I showed her some of the pink accessories, and got the OK to take advantage of some 4th of July sales, and the process began.

Here is the build list:

Palmetto complete upper, carbine length, and BCG. 1:7 twist CL barrel
Palmetto lower, and any small parts not listed are PSA as well.
Magpul MOE hand guard, Grip, and CTR stock with enhanced buttpad, enhanced trigger guard
Stock assembly kit, with H buffer, from BCM
Battle Arms Development B.A.D.-A.S.S. 90 degree safety selector with pink throws
Norgon Ambi mag release
Rainier Arms Raptor ambi charging handle
ALG QMS trigger
Noveske QD end plate, take down pins, and Noveske marked Troy flip up rear sight
Burris PEPR scope mount
Nikon Prostaff 3-9 scope

The ambi controls are useful due to her being forced to shoot lefty, and it gave me an opportunity to test out some cool products. She preferred the scope from her 10/22, so we went with that. Will be almost exclusively bench shooting, so a good start for her. Still waiting for the Magpul Pink MOE to come available.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f286/djegators/Tactical%20Pink%20Lady/DSCN9739_zpsb4657953.jpg?t=1374254680

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f286/djegators/Tactical%20Pink%20Lady/DSCN9736_zps36c9be5a.jpg

.46caliber
07-22-13, 20:24
Good build to get her started. I wish I could get my wife interested. Do post new pics with the pink MOE furniture.

I'm always intrigued with cross eye dominance. I am one of those afflicted, left eye dom. but I shoot right. It was more of a problem with both eyes open, but with single eye shooting it never posed an issue. At least that I noticed.

Also, how do you like the PEPR? I'm considering it for a deer scope.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

djegators
07-22-13, 20:27
Luckily she was new to shooting, so she picked up shooting rifles left handed rather easily. But she does still have some trouble closing one eye, and finding the proper view through the scope. Her nature is to seek mastery of a skill, so I know she will practice...

MistWolf
07-22-13, 21:53
If her left eye is dominant and is shooting left handed, she should try keeping both eyes open. If that's a strain, place frosted tape over the right hand lens of her shooting glasses.

My wife shot my AR once. It went bang, she jumped letting go of the carbine, caught it and handed it back- all in less than a second. It was even funnier because she scoffed at another gal who was worried about recoil. "The AR hardly kicks at all!", she said. When I gave her my "Yeah, right" look, my wife said "It wasn't the recoil. It was the noise"

djegators
07-22-13, 22:05
Since I started her shooting, there were several times when she attempted the AR or AK, and that's what happened. One shot, and no more. But then again, she started the same with the Glock 19, but over time, got more comfortable, and now she carries it.

rdbse
07-22-13, 22:11
My wife is very competitive, although not a gun person. First outing I let her shoot the softest shooting AR I had and let her out shoot me at 50 yards. Now, she is definitely more interested if not hooked for good.

Caduceus
07-23-13, 12:06
My wife started with my mauser. Then my M44.

She's dabbled with a 10/22 after that (bought specifically so she could shoot while I was), and hasn't tried an AR yet. Which is funny, since she's military. I actually have 1 for her (she doesn't know it yet), but keeping the pink furniture off. Let her decide first if she wants to make it her own once I present it.

MistWolf
07-23-13, 12:43
My wife said "If you bring home pink furniture, it's going on your rifle"

Airhasz
07-23-13, 13:08
I like pink colors on women but on her weapon...not so much...:)

coastwatcher42
07-24-13, 03:39
I haven't been able to get my wife to shoot one of my ARs yet. Occaisionally, she will get my old Winchester .22 (Model 190?) and bring it out while I'm shooting and fire a few rounds. She says that she may try it some day. We'll see.

223to45
07-24-13, 19:15
I put together a similar rifle for my wife. For Christmas I bought the Pink MOE , she loves it.

She is also Left eye dominant , so we had her shoot lefty, but her weapon handling looked like a monkey trying to mount a football.

So I put a red dot so she can shoot both eyes open, since she can't close just her left eye.

Agnostic
07-25-13, 01:02
I really want to put an AR together for my wife. I have come up with an idea for the configuration. A couple of considerations: 1) She has told me she has very little interest shooting beyond 500-600 yards and does not want a long, heavy rifle (she thinks my scoped 16" BCM SS410 is too heavy), 2) She is very short, so I would like to configure an AR that is very light and as soft-shooting as possible. My ideas for the configuration is a 14.5" midlength with a lightweight profile barrel, lightweight keymod tube (new BCM looks promising) and a A5 buffer system. Then pin an effective brake that is not too obnoxious.

Obviously I will want her to be involved with the selection of components and configuration. If I just pick what I think is best it will seem like it is my rifle as much as it is her rifle. Luckily she hates pink guns, she wants an evil black rifle. She makes me so proud:D

dragonbat13
07-27-13, 16:46
While I dont have an ar yet (gathering parts right now) my GF did shoot my underfolder AK for the first time a couple of months ago.

So she shoots a few rounds,

Then all of a sudden she unloads the magazine, turns around and says "Sorry, I had to do it". First time ever with a high capacity type rifle.

Now I have to build her a rifle.

EDIT: I told my story and gave no advice.

I can tell you for my GF the rifle I build MUST have these abilities: One it must be simple to clean. I still think an AR is simple enough for her to work on if its something minor. But above all else, it has to fit her. She is only 5'4". That underfolder AK has way too long of a stock for her. She cant even shoot my Mini 14 with a houge stock. So whatever I build her its gonna have a carbine adj. stock. This same short arm problem is gonna stick her at no more than a 16 inch barrel, and possibly a 14.5 inch with perm. flash hider. Its something that I have to look at closely, because if it doesnt fit her very comfortably and isnt balanced she isnt going to shoot it as much as she should. ME, my hardheaded self will shoot something till I give out. But she just isnt going to shoot it if its more work than fun. Thats just my two cents as a firearm owner.

Also, I would stick with the black. You know how the ladies are with the colors of there "accessories". A month later it will just HAVE to be a different color.

.46caliber
07-28-13, 08:35
I really want to put an AR together for my wife. I have come up with an idea for the configuration. A couple of considerations: 1) She has told me she has very little interest shooting beyond 500-600 yards and does not want a long, heavy rifle (she thinks my scoped 16" BCM SS410 is too heavy), 2) She is very short, so I would like to configure an AR that is very light and as soft-shooting as possible. My ideas for the configuration is a 14.5" midlength with a lightweight profile barrel, lightweight keymod tube (new BCM looks promising) and a A5 buffer system. Then pin an effective brake that is not too obnoxious.

Obviously I will want her to be involved with the selection of components and configuration. If I just pick what I think is best it will seem like it is my rifle as much as it is her rifle. Luckily she hates pink guns, she wants an evil black rifle. She makes me so proud:D

Good on her. Why not just use an MOE guard and save more weight for her?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

WillBrink
07-28-13, 10:00
I finally convinced the gf to go AR. There are some issues, mainly involving very sensitive ears, cross-eye dominance, and some reluctance to try unknown things.

I was at the range yesterday and saw a gal shooting this. It's an S&W .22 and for an extra $50, they will do that pain job she said.

The .22 is a good way to get women to get used to the platform, etc. When I asked how she liked her pink AR, she said "I love it!"

I invited her to try my AR (insert tasteless joke here...) and she declined saying she was not quite ready for "all that noise and recoil"

Hey, I just report what I saw/heard. But WTF, if a pink AR in .22 gets a gal to the range and it's leads to bigger and better things, then all good I say!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/photo_zps9fb506e9.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/photo_zps9fb506e9.jpg.html)

djegators
07-28-13, 17:55
I was at the range yesterday and saw a gal shooting this. It's an S&W .22 and for an extra $50, they will do that pain job she said.

The .22 is a good way to get women to get used to the platform, etc. When I asked how she liked her pink AR, she said "I love it!"

I invited her to try my AR (insert tasteless joke here...) and she declined saying she was not quite ready for "all that noise and recoil"

Hey, I just report what I saw/heard. But WTF, if a pink AR in .22 gets a gal to the range and it's leads to bigger and better things, then all good I say!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/photo_zps9fb506e9.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/photo_zps9fb506e9.jpg.html)

It was a multi-year process of her shooting a Ruger 10/22 to get her to the point she is now. People give me crap about the pink guns, but MY girl likes going to the range, gun shows, etc.

Alex V
07-29-13, 08:40
I built my wife and AR as an engagement present. She loves it!

Good job on the build! Whatever gets them to the range, if she wants a pink gun, build her a pink gun. I would build a Tiffany Blue gun for her if that's what it took. Luckily she wanted FDE lol

SteveS
07-29-13, 19:41
' bought my first AR in the early 1970s ,now I am not saying I am an expert but I will say I know 1 thing and that is over the years most everybody that has tried an AR gets a big smile on their face. Except for my Dad! He likes the 30 carbine because that is what he used on guard duty during WWII! He is probably right as he is not always right but he is never wrong!

Agnostic
07-29-13, 22:34
Good on her. Why not just use an MOE guard and save more weight for her?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

That's my thought, but she wants a free float handguard. We'll see once it starts to materialize.

STONE-YARDER
07-29-13, 22:55
Most of the women I know including my wife think the pink rifle is a joke. A lot of women don't like pink so why do men continue to force this on them? Anyways I am not a fan of bench shooting except for zeroing optics or irons but if the local range is all you have available then I definitely understand. I started the wife from a standing position and now we are working on moving and shooting, shooting from cover,etc,etc. Wont be long and she will be runnin and gunnin:D I figure if she ever needs to use it in a self defense situation she will be better prepared.

.46caliber
07-29-13, 23:05
That's my thought, but she wants a free float handguard. We'll see once it starts to materialize.

Keep us posted. My wife expressed some interest the other day. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2