PDA

View Full Version : Got me some components, FINALLY!

WPD53
07-22-13, 23:36
Hello all, I have finally gotten my hands on some components. I am seeing what others think about what I have gotten ahold of. I have a pound of RL10X, WSR Primers and SGK55gr HPBT. From what I've read so far, the 55s are only gonna be good in my 1:9 instead of the 1:7. The primary reason for me getting into reloading is getting ammo for the 1:7. The PD is kinda tight on buying any practice ammo. And the 1:7 also happens to be the select fire type.

I am looking at getting some 65gr SBT or 69gr HPBT SMKs. What considerations should I be aware of when loading for the F/A? And just in case ya were wonderin', ain't no way reloads gonna make it into the duty side of things!

I appreciate any help from the masters!

I also kinda learned me some stuff about starting out with the same case length prior to seating bullets. Loaded 10 of the 55s into some cases and after the first bullet was seated (following RCBS die set-up instructions!!!) the bullet was way too deep. Pulled it, backed the die up and ran another one through. Too damn deep again..... Grrrrrrrrr. After about the 5th time, I got it about where the info sheet said it should be. Yay me right?!?! Second case, seated bullet, measured, damn.... A little off from the first one. Adjusted again. Run #3 through.... Damn.... It was off too. Got irritated and ran the remaining 7 cases and then measured them, saw no 2 the same... Turned out the lights and went to bed. Woke up the next morning, walked back to the shed and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Measure just the cases fool.. Yepp, no 2 of them the same either! Ha, go figure. I have noticed that the cases that I have gotten ahold of are rather short compared to what I have been reading others have on here. Mine are in the 1.735 to 1.758 range. I was thinking I should be in the 1.750 to 1.755 range, just a whimsical guess. Haven't figured out the way to make 'em longer yet! Are the shorter ones OK to load and shoot? :confused:

Ok, enough of that for now!!! Apologies for the ramble!!

JH

Airhasz
07-23-13, 00:48
Trim rifle brass and chamfer the inside and outside of case mouth. That is how to get all the cases the same exact size. They will stretch and be longer after shooting them. You can then measure to make sure all are within spec or trim them again to get them all the same length again.

55 grain bullets stabilize fine in a 1/7 twist barrel. Read a couple of reloading manuals cover to cover and you will learn everything you need to know to be confident in your hand loading process.

RearwardAssist
07-23-13, 03:16
Agree with above get a manual and read it front to back. Get a trimmer and case gauge.

markm
07-23-13, 09:30
Make sure you have decent neck tension. You should feel a little resistance when seating the bullet.

I run a light crimp from a LEE FACTORY CRIMP die. Any of my loads are doable in full auto.

And 55 gr Game Kings will shoot just fine in 1/7.

CrazyFingers
07-23-13, 10:09
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456614/le-wilson-case-length-headspace-gage-223-remington

I use one of these to check case length on fired brass. It's a quick way to know if the shell needs trimming.

And as others mentioned, 55gr runs fine through 1/7.

WPD53
07-23-13, 13:40
Thanks all,

I do have a couple of manuals as well as the highly recommended ABC's of reloading. I have read the ABC's book once and am now trying to link the verbage together. I'm glad to hear that the 55s will do ok in the 1:7. I am awaiting the L. E. Wilson case gage, from a friend no longer reloading.

Markm. The necks have pretty decent tension. It took many, many slaps to pull the first 5 mistakes, to the point where I was concerned the neighbors were going to start complaining! And I did do a feel test (push/pull, not saying that's effective just made me feel better) after seating the entire 10 rounds.

Any thoughts on the brass being under 1.750ish? Or is that not really a concern? Just seat them to OAL and let 'em fly? It just seemed that the bullets were barely seated. Maybe that was just my imagination.

JH

markm
07-23-13, 13:46
Any thoughts on the brass being under 1.750ish? Or is that not really a concern? Just seat them to OAL and let 'em fly? It just seemed that the bullets were barely seated. Maybe that was just my imagination.

JH

You have to go a decent bit shorter with Game Kings, soft points, etc.

Maybe as much as 1.730" or so. I can measure my OAL on gamekings later tonight. But yeah... they'll be much shorter than a pointed FMJ.

WPD53
07-23-13, 13:49
You have to go a decent bit shorter with Game Kings, soft points, etc.

Maybe as much as 1.730" or so. I can measure my OAL on gamekings later tonight. But yeah... they'll be much shorter than a pointed FMJ.

I have the Game King HPBT. I would definitely appreciate what you can give me later!!!

WPD53
07-28-13, 14:27
I can measure my OAL on gamekings later tonight.

Hey Markm, Just checking to see if you have measured the OAL on a case or 2.

I offered at an indoor range to pitch in on their brass sorting and was given quite the batch of brass for my efforts. I am guessing well over a thousand, my take. My 5 gallon bucket was close to full, what a haul!!!!

I want to thank previous posters for their contributions to us noobs. I got the brass home and decided to wash them clean. The dish soap in a bucket and lots of hand agitation worked amazingly. Hint :haha: you probably don't need half a bottle of dish soap to do this!!! After many rinses, finished the first batch! Second batch went much more smooth. A couple of days or so spread out to dry, turning a couple times a day, and I started on the re-sizing and de-priming. Maybe half way through now.

I want to say again thanks to all the folks that participate here to make this site a huge and helpful resource to those interested in whatever strikes them in the gun, shooting and reloading fields.

JH

Turnkey11
07-28-13, 19:56
Got a steal of a deal not too long ago on 1k 64 gr Nosler Bonded that I will be loading up and sealing into some 7.62 ammo cans. Ive been using Winchester 64 gr PP's and 65 gr SMK's for plinking/critter control but ran out of projectiles a few months back, I still have about 2k loaded and 5k projectiles currently backordered.

eightmillimeter
07-29-13, 01:33
You are bold man. Are the rifles personally or department owned? I would get hung out to dry if they ever found out I resorted to practicing with home-rolled supreme quality controlled ammunition because they are too cheap to buy me ammo....

But what they don't know don't hurt them right?

markm
07-29-13, 09:09
Crap. I completely forgot about this. I'll try to remember tonight. :(

shootist~
07-29-13, 11:43
But what they don't know don't hurt them right?

Unless you Kaboom it. Suggest you wait until you have a lot more experience.

WPD53
07-29-13, 16:12
8mm, the FA rifle is dept owned. The other is mine. I have already talked to those up above about using reloaded ammo that I make, and they are ok with it. One of the guys used to a good deal of reloading and has offered his knowledge when needed. Same guy has looked at my setup, watched me run a few rounds through from start to finish, and went with me to shoot those rounds, ALL at my request. It is a pretty small PD, so that makes a huge difference! We aren't given much in the way of duty ammo, just a couple of mags worth. I have bought a few more rounds to use strictly for the duty stuff. Again, after approval. Budgetary constraints being what they are, training needs, etc., the bosses are cool with using R-L for training.

markm, Thank you!

eightmillimeter
07-31-13, 14:32
Unless you Kaboom it. Suggest you wait until you have a lot more experience.

You have absolutely no reason to call my experience into question.

shootist~
07-31-13, 15:03
You have absolutely no reason to call my experience into question.

My comment was directed at the OP, who was clearly seeking advice. This was opposite the advice you gave him relative to reloading for a dept owned FA; which was something like: "What they don't know won't hurt them".

It would be beyond foolish for a new reloader to make such a jump without a lot of experience.

eightmillimeter
08-01-13, 02:08
My comment was directed at the OP, who was clearly seeking advice. This was opposite the advice you gave him relative to reloading for a dept owned FA; which was something like: "What they don't know won't hurt them".

It would be beyond foolish for a new reloader to make such a jump without a lot of experience.

Fair enough, please understand my confusion, you quoted me when you said that. I won't lie I was a little upset. My statement was pertaining to my situation, not meant as advice for him. I agree with you, experience would be better in his situation but the OP has already said he does have permission. I don't have permission but its not prohibited by policy, I know what I'm doing, and they don't give me ammo so my choice is clear. I wouldn't mind F/A though..

WPD53
08-02-13, 21:53
Thanks everyone for your input, although the thread took a little left turn ;).

Yes I am very new to reloading, but I am not new to the world in general. I have been engaged in LE for the better part of 24 years. I do have a couple of resources that I can call on for some help when I get in a bind. I chose to join this site due to the helpfulness that I have observed being given to other noobs, without (openly stated) judgement, criticism or other demeaning actions.

I have just ordered a new scale to weigh my charges on. The RCBS 5-0-5 is the one that's on the way, because that awesome little digital one that came with the set just isn't reliable. Trial/error and reading others posts prove very valuable. On a side note, the 10 rounds that I did load all managed to shoot well and were enough to meet my needs, practice. I shot 5 from each rifle, all within the 8 ring at 100 yards. Myself and a buddy are putting together a little arena to practice some drills. Mostly close contact stuff since our patrol rifles are only equipped with HWS. If anyone has input on some pointers for this practice area would be welcome as well.

Thanks again.