PDA

View Full Version : Oly is catching

Image Group
07-23-13, 00:58
My Oly is catching and a round stays in the bore and won't eject properly. Anyone have a idea? The ejector is fine.

polymorpheous
07-23-13, 01:03
Tight, (out of spec), chamber.
Crappy, (out of spec), ammo.

I notice you said it won't eject. (I read extract)
Is it trying to feed another round behind the spent cartridge?

Image Group
07-23-13, 01:07
Yes another round comes in right behind the stuck one

Airhasz
07-23-13, 01:10
My Oly is catching and a round stays in the bore and won't eject properly. Anyone have a idea? The ejector is fine.

Are you having the problem with steel cases or brass cases?
Steel cases are known to stick in some chambers since they have a corrosion resistant coating on them I believe. If shooting steel cases switch to brass and see if problem disappears.

polymorpheous
07-23-13, 01:10
Well the extractor is letting go of the cartridge.
It's cycling enough to pick up a new round.

It's either your chamber or your extractor.
You can order an extractor upgrade kit from BravoCompanyUSA.com for like $14.

polymorpheous
07-23-13, 01:12
BTW, if you don't want this thread locked down, edit out your offer to sell the NVG's.

Iraqgunz
07-23-13, 02:53
Olympic Arms barrels are well-known for chamber issues. I would start by replacing the extractor spring and inspecting the extractor.

Is this a new issue or an on-going one?

Armati
07-23-13, 06:57
Seriously, your best bet would be to sell the Oly to someone who knows even less about guns and and invest in a serious rifle. This is not a flame but you will continue to be plauged by issues from Olympic.

maw1777
07-23-13, 07:03
You could keep wasting money on parts and listen to the people here complain about Olympic OR just send it back to them free of charge for repairs. Good thing about the industry it doesn't matter what brand you buytthey all will fix any problems.

CrazyFingers
07-23-13, 10:00
You could keep wasting money on parts and listen to the people here complain about Olympic OR just send it back to them free of charge for repairs. Good thing about the industry it doesn't matter what brand you buytthey all will fix any problems.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YMB3WDbre90/URt0IUx28HI/AAAAAAAABwM/fMkF4uEHLGc/s320/ImpliedFacepalm.jpg

OP, when Iraqgunz takes the time to offer advice, you would do well to heed it.

markm
07-23-13, 10:03
Olympic Arms are the worst mainstream AR ever made. Ditch it yesterday.

I have a collection of CLASSIC olympic arms horror stories I've gathered over the years. :p

foxtrotx1
07-23-13, 12:58
Are you having the problem with steel cases or brass cases?
Steel cases are known to stick in some chambers since they have a corrosion resistant coating on them I believe. If shooting steel cases switch to brass and see if problem disappears.

The steel cases stick because the case does not expand to fit the chamber as readily as brass. By not doing so, carbon from the bore leaks into the chamber and begins to "glue" the case to the chamber.

You can see this by firing a ton of steel case ammo through the rifle followed by brass case. The brass will have splotches or vertical streaks of carbon on the outside of the case.

Wake27
07-23-13, 13:19
Olympic Arms are the worst mainstream AR ever made. Ditch it yesterday.

I have a collection of CLASSIC olympic arms horror stories I've gathered over the years. :p

Worse than Windham?

Scrubber3
07-23-13, 13:25
Worse than Windham?

What makes you think Windham is as bad as olys?

Airhasz
07-23-13, 13:31
[QUOTE=foxtrotx1;1703733]The steel cases stick because the case does not expand to fit the chamber as readily as brass. By not doing so, carbon from the bore leaks into the chamber and begins to "glue" the case to the chamber.

Interesting, so does that mean the coating on the steel case does not act as a glue like I have read many times?

markm
07-23-13, 13:48
Worse than Windham?

10 times worse than Windam. I mean... windam will not follow the TDP very closely... but for the most part the guns resemble an AR.

Oly is a joke. I should post some of the more hillarious issues I've saved over the years.

Ryno12
07-23-13, 13:50
Oly is a joke. I should post some of the more hillarious issues I've saved over the years.

I'm up for a good chuckle...

Sent via Tapatalk

markm
07-23-13, 13:51
This one is my favorite story... from an ARfcom guy...

Originally Posted By M4:
I used to live in Olympia WA...and after calling Oly Arms, drove out to check out their facility.

When I got there, a few things became rather clear.

1) Their "factory" looked like the set of Sanford & Son. (Absolutely NOT kidding)

2) Despite being told "Sure, come on down!" on the phone, when I got there, I was dealt with like I was Diane Feinstein by EVERYONE. One guy was pleasant and answered my questions...so not a total disaster, but the rest were pricks in general.

3) There was nothing and I mean NOTHING about their "facility" that looked suitable for manufacturing dog toys, let alone firearms.

If you never get a 2nd chance to make 1st impressions, Oly lost me COMPLETELY with that one.

As to their rifles being hit or miss, I never owned one, but have known several people who have. It's about a 50/50 mix of "Mine works great" to "Total piece of shit".

That ratio is NOWHERE near good enough for me and combined with a 1st person view of the source of their rifles, that was more than enough to never look back.

There was a rather protracted issue with Oly and ARFCOM a few years ago. Can't remember the details but I do remember that they created a forum of their own and used it as a spring board to bash either ARFCOM/the Avilas/other AR makers....can't recall the details but it was HIGHLY unprofessional on their part....and Tom Spitballer, Spithaller...something like that, who owns/represents OlyArms was a douche of the highest order.

Oly (and Hesse)are the Yugo of the AR world IMO.

Iraqgunz
07-23-13, 13:56
If this is an issue of wear (as I mentioned above) they aren't going to replace anything.

If the chamber is tight then they are going to replace it with another shitty barrel.

For the record I worked with a guy in Iraq who worked there for years and have finally acknowledged that they are the bottom off the barrel.

For the OP. I would personally ditch the Oly crap, but I won't say that because of the feelings that will be hurt by making that suggestion.

Wake27
07-23-13, 14:05
What makes you think Windham is as bad as olys?

I thought I read that somewhere around here. I guess either I was wrong, or whoever posted it was. Just wondering.

T2C
07-23-13, 14:10

Is this a new rifle or a well worn one?

Try different ammunition and see if the problem continues.

If switching ammunition does not work, clean the chamber thoroughly. Strip and clean the bolt and replace the extractor spring. Use a generous amount of lube on the bolt and bolt carrier.

Keep us posted on what remedies the problem.

markm
07-23-13, 14:36

I have a bunch of reports of Oly customers being told to get ****ed by those imbeciles.

They made sales for years with their lifetime guarantee or warrantee or whatever... they never honored it of course... and would explain to their customers how their tollerances were tighter than all the other companies out there. :D

They are a priceless bunch of ****s.

blade_68
07-23-13, 15:14
Back on the Oly how old is it? From your location, is it a Ca. Preban if so check in to better upper for it. My first AR was one. FYI its been flogged badly. If "IG" states or recommends I'd go with it. If its CA PreBan I'd go for BCM or other top line upper and replace any other unreliable parts. Back when I was stationed at Ft. Lewis there shop was as said, mine had and is also Colt bolt ?? I paid $300 for it then.

CrazyFingers
07-23-13, 15:20
Interesting, so does that mean the coating on the steel case does not act as a glue like I have read many times?

No, it does not. This has been discussed many times here and shown to be completely false. People have pulled the bullet, powder and primer from steel-cased ammunition and held it in a blowtorch, the coatings do not melt or run.

The sticking issues that people falsely attribute to the coating on steel-cased ammunition are a combination of several things, sometimes in conjunction.
The mouths of steel cases do not expand the same as brass, which can cause incomplete sealing of the bore and excessive gas blow-back into the chamber. This alone can cause more rapid fouling of a chamber and sticking, but when brass cased ammunition is used after steel without cleaning, it can adhere to the fouled chamber since it expands more than the steel did and become stuck.

(This is information I've gleaned here from more knowledgeable shooters than myself. If I'm wrong, please correct.)

However, a quality rifle should be able to shoot steel all day without any problems, as long as you clean it at the end of the day. Mine does.

decodeddiesel
07-23-13, 15:21
[QUOTE=foxtrotx1;1703733]

I wonder if this myth will ever go away. I've been hearing it for at least the past 10 years and counting.

Ever wonder why all of the Soviet/Russian military issued steel cased ammunition has a lacquer coating? It prevents corrosion and acts as a surface treatment to reduce friction.

decodeddiesel
07-23-13, 15:26
If it is a pre-ban Cali rifle replacing it may not be an option.

In this case I would look at purchasing a quality barrel and BCG from a reputable manufacturer and having these parts replaced in the weapon by a gunsmith who is comfortable and competent working on ARs.

Otherwise cut your losses and sell that POS rickytick.

Spooky130
07-23-13, 18:33
[QUOTE=Airhasz;1703766]

I wonder if this myth will ever go away. I've been hearing it for at least the past 10 years and counting.

Ever wonder why all of the Soviet/Russian military issued steel cased ammunition has a lacquer coating? It prevents corrosion and acts as a surface treatment to reduce friction.

You also need to factor in the 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 have a much greater taper to the cases than 5.56/.223.

An Oly was my first AR. I had issues with certain ammo not working in it - I think it was Greek stuff. Fixed the problem by buying quality guns. Sold it to a NY resident as it was pre-ban.

decodeddiesel
07-23-13, 19:24
You also need to factor in the 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 have a much greater taper to the cases than 5.56/.223.

An Oly was my first AR. I had issues with certain ammo not working in it - I think it was Greek stuff. Fixed the problem by buying quality guns. Sold it to a NY resident as it was pre-ban.

I fail to see how case taper has anything to do with a surface treatment designed to reduce friction and prevent corrosion. :confused:

Not arguing that steel cased ammo is suitable for serious use in a 5.56, rather that the coating it's self does not act like a "glue" as many misinformed gun store commandos proclaim.

Eurodriver
07-23-13, 19:45
Sorry guys, but you've all been duped.

OP probably doesn't even own an Oly. He said a round gets stuck "IN THE BARREL"? Yet has equipment he wants to sell?

Trollololol.

decodeddiesel
07-23-13, 19:54
Sorry guys, but you've all been duped.

OP probably doesn't even own an Oly. He said a round gets stuck "IN THE BARREL"? Yet has equipment he wants to sell?

Trollololol.

You're probably right.

Eric
07-23-13, 20:11
Hit the chamber with solvent and a chamber brush. Swap out the extractor spring with one from Bravo Co (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm%20extractor%20spring%20upgrade.htm), Wolff (http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/extractor-parts/extractor-springs/ar-15-m16-extra-power-extractor-spring-prod16488.aspx), Colt (http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/extractor-parts/extractor-springs/extractor-spring-assembly-prod4840.aspx). If the extractor looks worn, swap that out as well.

Spooky130
07-25-13, 21:21
I fail to see how case taper has anything to do with a surface treatment designed to reduce friction and prevent corrosion. :confused:

Not arguing that steel cased ammo is suitable for serious use in a 5.56, rather that the coating it's self does not act like a "glue" as many misinformed gun store commandos proclaim.

The tapered case makes it easier to extract from the chamber after it is fired. The straighter case walls on the 5.56 coupled with the surface treatment might be what causes the problem.

Image Group
07-26-13, 00:29
Problem solved. Thanks for the input. No it wasn't the ammo. I do not fire steel through my (according to eurodriver imaginary) weapon. I only fire brass through it. Winchester, Federal and believe it or not even with Oly's small gas tube I'm finding Tula to be extremely reliable. It is a pre-ban and I have been looking at a BCM upper but it has been such a reliable rifle up until recently. It was the extractor. I changed it out for a much higher quality part and now it's purring like a kitten. Again thanks for everyone positive input.

Doc Safari
07-26-13, 10:12

Do it. It's an American pastime to hate on Olympic AR's. Sort of like hatin' on Jennings pistols.

decodeddiesel
07-26-13, 13:46
Problem solved. Thanks for the input. No it wasn't the ammo. I do not fire steel through my (according to eurodriver imaginary) weapon. I only fire brass through it. Winchester, Federal and believe it or not even with Oly's small gas tube I'm finding Tula to be extremely reliable. It is a pre-ban and I have been looking at a BCM upper but it has been such a reliable rifle up until recently. It was the extractor. I changed it out for a much higher quality part and now it's purring like a kitten. Again thanks for everyone positive input.

You do know that Tula is steel cased ammo, don't you? It has a "polymer" based coating instead of a lacquer based coating like older Wolf or Brown Bear. In my experience the poly coated is "worse" than the lacquer coated. YMMV...

If it's a preban it would probably be worth it to strip it down to the bare lower receiver and rebuild it with quality (read BCM, Daniels Defense, Centurion, Colt, LMT, etc) parts. If I had a preban that's exactly what I would do.

coastwatcher42
07-27-13, 00:11
I thought I read that somewhere around here. I guess either I was wrong, or whoever posted it was. Just wondering.

I have a Windham SRC and, while not the quality of my KAC, it is a competent weapon and I have had zero problems with it.

CrazyFingers
07-27-13, 14:44
You do know that Tula is steel cased ammo, don't you? It has a "polymer" based coating instead of a lacquer based coating like older Wolf or Brown Bear.

Apparently TulAmmo is now selling their "Brass Maxx" line through several vendors. Reports are it's 55gr .223 brass cased boxer primed, imported from Italy(?).

decodeddiesel
07-27-13, 14:53
Apparently TulAmmo is now selling their "Brass Maxx" line through several vendors. Reports are it's 55gr .223 brass cased boxer primed, imported from Italy(?).

Huh, well that's news to me. Apologies for the error.

Tzook
07-27-13, 15:07

Can you please never ever say something this stupid in public ever, ever again?

Jesus H Christ. Sell the Oly, it's a POS.

RogerinTPA
07-27-13, 15:24
Worse than Windham?

Windham is equality as shitty as BM. Same parts, same management that formerly worked at BM, different rollmark = Soup Sandwich. When measuring the differences between Oly/Windham/BM/Stag/RRA, you are essentially arguing at the molecular level between the grades of shit, shitier, shitiest, & hershey squirt. Oly being the hershey squirt...

peabody
07-28-13, 09:03
i like olys .. never had a problem

SeriousStudent
07-28-13, 11:37
The OP has posted that his issue has been resolved. We can put this one to bed now.