PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Grips-Magpul MOE K/K2 vs BCM Mod0/Mod1 opinions please

Razorhunter
07-23-13, 11:24
Currently running Magpul MIAD and standard MOE pg's, which have the original angle to them. However, I'm intrigued by these new "steeper angle" pg's, and I'm quite sure I'd benefit instantly if I were to switch.
Now, not having them at a local dealer to try, I'm wondering if anyone has comparison pics of the grips I've listed in the subject topic line of my thread here?
I really think the Magpul MOE K2 or BCM Mod1 grips will be for me, as they have the backstrap "beavertail" area filled in, like the standard MOE I currently use has.
However, I would really benefit if someone possibly had comparison pics, if these grips, showing an "end profile", or "front strap to backstrap" view/profile, which I could reference? I'm basically most concerned with overall thickness/circumference of the grips.
Can anyone help?

jaxman7
07-23-13, 11:34
http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2012/07/27/21-ar-grips-compared/

Razorhunter
07-23-13, 11:43
Oh nicely done Jaxman. Thanks.

jaxman7
07-23-13, 11:44
You bet!

-Jax

NeoNeanderthal
07-23-13, 11:51
Just thought id add something. The moe/miad work great for me but as you stated i'm not a fan of the angle, just the thickness (thats what she said). I tried the bcm gunfighter and loved the angle but it feels very narrow, especially near the top. From looking at the K grip i feel it would present the same problems. Obviously the k2 grip fills this void.

If you find yourself in the same boat id try the k2 or the umbrella corp grip. I have an umbrella corp on order and will let you know how it is.

JW5219
07-23-13, 12:04
[QUOTE=NeoNeanderthal;1703682]J I tried the bcm gunfighter and loved the angle but it feels very narrow, especially near the top. /QUOTE]

I have a BCM Mod 0 and a Mod 1, and found this to be true with both of them. The Mod 1 is a little better, but I still would like a bit more "beef" at the top of the grips, as I have pretty large hands. I have not tried a Magpul grip so can't offer anything there.

MelloYellow
07-23-13, 12:48
I rotated through an A2, ergo, ergo tactical, and ended up with the MOE with a padded tape/grip tape mod to add mass to the webbing region of the grip and increase grip angle. To prevent interference around frayed edges near the selector and inside trigger guard area I swiped some super glue across the suspect edges of the tape. Feels good to me!

Having trouble with the upload pic but will get one up later.

*with pics added
edges of tape are concrete hard...touch up as needed most likely.

NeoNeanderthal
07-23-13, 13:40
interested to see what you mean. Like the super glue idea. Kinda like taping your shoe laces before you wrassle.

Razorhunter
07-23-13, 13:53
I tried the bcm gunfighter and loved the angle but it feels very narrow, especially near the top. From looking at the K grip i feel it would present the same problems. Obviously the k2 grip fills this void.

Nicely put, and this is the exact situation I'm in. I'm 90% certain the K2 will be what I need, because I recently handled a buddies bcm grips and they were so scrawny and thin I just couldn't deal with it. I know having too fat a grip is a hinderance, but I feel the K2 just may be the way to go. Wish I had somewhere locally to try one out.

ggammell
07-23-13, 14:30
I went from the BCM Mod 0 to the MIAD with large blackstrap. The BCM felt really thin. The larger MIAD really fills my hand better. If you've got big hands the BCM will probably leave you wanting.

Shorts
07-23-13, 14:48
J I tried the bcm gunfighter and loved the angle but it feels very narrow, especially near the top.

I have a BCM Mod 0 and a Mod 1, and found this to be true with both of them. The Mod 1 is a little better, but I still would like a bit more "beef" at the top of the grips, as I have pretty large hands. I have not tried a Magpul grip so can't offer anything there.

I'd like to piggy back and agree with this as well. For hand size reference, I am a 5'3" female. I've got the BCM Mod1.

Krull
07-23-13, 18:56
I've tried the original K grip and I'm using a BCM Mod 1 now I liked the K but it is small and very thin to my mind it comes close to the original AK grip.

The BCM is bigger but still slim and again reminds me of the AK grip.

I need to see the new K grip and maybe try it,but I'm plenty happy with the BCM.

Trajan
07-23-13, 20:07
Get the Umbrella grip. I too found the BCM grip lacking, and ordered the Umbrella on a whim. Turns out it was a great choice. Feels like a MOE grip, just with a more vertical angle (somewhere around 86*). You will have to stipple it however. It has the "hard" Magpul type polymer.

Endur
07-23-13, 21:46
I had a MIAD and decided on a whim to get the BCM mod-1 because the angle intrigued me and I like the steeper angle much better. I do wish it were a bit thicker (what she said).

Kain
07-23-13, 22:34
Have the BCM Mod 1 and will reiterate that it is too thin for me. Have toyed with changing it, but it is on a secondary Bushmaster that ends up mainly getting shot a little by me to check zero and is the range gun for a lot of others, including a lot of ladies so the thinner grip tends to work well for them. My go to rifle a BCM build has the Miad with the large backstrap and is still my favorite though the Umbrella Corp grip is on my to buy list to try out.

VIP3R 237
07-23-13, 22:54
I have a Umbrella on my KAC, and a BCM Mod 1 on the wife's Colt and its a toss up between the two. I lean slightly more towards the umbrella, I just wish it had a storage option.

The K2 grip is very nice. At Shot Show Magpul had a couple on display guns. I will buy one in stealth grey when they become available.

Krull
07-24-13, 00:06
One thing to keep in mind and I found this out with the AK-if you get a big hand filling grip it's nice but you're also out of room if you happen to need any kind of padded glove.

My M9 sucked with the factory panels and a winter glove but the VZ grips fixed that.

One reason I lean to thinner grips.

yhmspecter
07-24-13, 08:52
Just thought id add something. The moe/miad work great for me but as you stated i'm not a fan of the angle, just the thickness (thats what she said). I tried the bcm gunfighter and loved the angle but it feels very narrow, especially near the top. From looking at the K grip i feel it would present the same problems. Obviously the k2 grip fills this void.

If you find yourself in the same boat id try the k2 or the umbrella corp grip. I have an umbrella corp on order and will let you know how it is.

I have the Umbrella grip on my 16 inch gun, it deff gives the width like the MIAD but the angle of the BCM, the only thing needed is to add some texture to the grip. I gave mine the soldering iron treatment and things are good to go now. But the K2 grip would also fit your needs and may not require the burn treatment to get it up to tactile spec.

pyzik
07-24-13, 14:14
I picked up my first AR fairly recently and the first thing I noticed was that I did NOT like the angle of the standard AR grip. It had a MOE grip on it. I've added a BCM Mod1x and like the angle but I think the grip is too thin in the upper portion of the grip.
I'd like to try the Troy Enhanced.

I LOVE my Hogue grip on my AK, I wish they would make one for the AR with the same angle as the AK grip.