PDA

View Full Version : Smarter Everyday: Firing the AK Underwater

MistWolf
07-23-13, 13:42
SmarterEveryday makes some interesting videos, including hooking up a laser to an RC model helicopter rotor head to show how the swash plate affects blade pitch and disc angle. IN this video, he fires an AK underwater and films it with a highspeed camera. The water cavitation from the passage of the bullet, gases and surprisingly, the water pushed out of the bore is a fascinating. You can see the cavity grow larger where the bullet destabilizes. I found myself studying the shots frame by frame

Here's the link. I haven't figured out how to embed the video in my post. Maybe someone can tell me how?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp5gdUHFGIQ

lethal dose
07-23-13, 14:11
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=135300

Just a friendly heads up. May want to request a merger. Your thread, your call! :)

MistWolf
07-23-13, 14:50
Posted at 0641 hrs. Who's even awake that time of the morning?? Honu posted it for fun. I posted for the technical aspects:dance3:

Campbell
07-23-13, 15:56
Very cool photography...kind of neat that ejected brass clears the port. He does a good job of explaining what I was seeing also.

lethal dose
07-23-13, 16:08
Posted at 0641 hrs. Who's even awake that time of the morning?? Honu posted it for fun. I posted for the technical aspects:dance3:

No arguments, here! :cool:

Peshawar
07-23-13, 16:45
Very, very cool.

I saw a demo of the phantom on youtube when a guy was playing with one in his hotel room during NAB I think. Couple years ago. Best slow motion I had seen.

After "Smarter Every Day"s other video, I had a conversation with a friend where we talked about how it was interesting that the carrier achieves all of its velocity from the small amount of time that its head is sitting in the gas block. All the other gas is bled off and isn't critical to cycling.

Another observation is the flash hider. It's not a typical 74 type compensator with an expansion chamber. I wonder if the pressure inside of the compensator version would be enough to cause damage to the threads? The flash hider design on that rifle has large slots to vent, but the compensator likely would have a different effect because it's creating far more backpressure. Hmmmm.

Lastly, I am curious if that initial two or three feet until where the bullet path goes into its second stage is the bullet coming out of supersonic speed. Since it's water, and not air, what's happening there? Very curious.

David Thomas
07-23-13, 18:13
That was cool.

morpheus6d9
07-23-13, 19:50
Very cool

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta