PDA

View Full Version : S&W 340 pd

bubba04
07-23-13, 18:41
I just picked up a used 340 pd (lock) with hi vis front sight and crimson trace grips for what I think was a good deal (430). It has some sear on the team but appears not to been shot that much. I plan on removing the lock and dropping in the apex kit, which brings me to my question.

Is there anything I need to be looking for given its frame is scandium, in terms of excessive wear or the barrel sleeve has been damaged. I plan on using this sucker as a carry piece as soon as I can get me a holster.

gtmtnbiker98
07-23-13, 20:14
If the lock up is tight and no end-shake, just check periodically under the forcing cone for the appearance of any cracks. Other than that, enjoy the revolver that you stole. That was an awesome price.

Chameleox
07-23-13, 20:35
That's straight up robbery!
Verrrry nice find, sir.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-23-13, 21:29
Great gun. Probably the best concealed carry piece you can get. The gun is so rough to shoot because of the recoil I doubt you will wear it out.

bubba04
07-23-13, 21:33
Great gun. Probably the best concealed carry piece you can get. The gun is so rough to shoot because of the recoil I doubt you will wear it out.

I wont lie, I blame you for a lot of my issues.

I plan on just shooting 38 special through it. I need to get me some dies and ill be ready to rock.

Pappabear
07-23-13, 22:11
That's a sweet little gun. I have to holsters. One is a cheap Blackhawk neoprene $18 holster for real light shorts in summer. And another kydex.

I shoot 38 and carry 38plus. It do kick. But practice is king.

bubba04
07-24-13, 08:17
I am hoping to fine me a good iwb holster.

Pappabear
07-24-13, 10:27
There are millions of holsters for the beloved wheel smacker.
Good luck. I only have IWB holsters for that gun.

bubba04
07-24-13, 10:43
There are millions of holsters for the beloved wheel smacker.
Good luck. I only have IWB holsters for that gun.

I am like a kid in a candy store frozen by options!

Denali
07-27-13, 16:37
I just picked up a used 340 pd (lock) with hi vis front sight and crimson trace grips for what I think was a good deal (430). It has some sear on the team but appears not to been shot that much. I plan on removing the lock and dropping in the apex kit, which brings me to my question.

Is there anything I need to be looking for given its frame is scandium, in terms of excessive wear or the barrel sleeve has been damaged. I plan on using this sucker as a carry piece as soon as I can get me a holster.

These guns are rarely fired, most serious armed professionals are not especially fond of their recoil, average Joes rarely shoot them a second time. It should be simple to determine the mechanisms status, is it tight, does it exhibit end shake? My 360PD came apart under recoil with Federal 158 gr .357 Hydra shocks, the cylinder literally fell off the little wheelgun in front of about sixty people at "Bills gun shop" in Circle Pines.

Great carry pieces, but no fun to shoot...

PriseDeFer
07-27-13, 19:16
Hit the two Smith & Wesson forums, and HighRoad has a couple of long, long threads where PD carriers have been known to expose themselves. Dynamite guns. As the owner and toter of a mere aluminum Airweight 38 I admire your extreme tastes from far below.

bubba04
08-13-13, 19:06
I really like this little sucker. However my groupings are consistsnly to the right if the target. At say 10 yards the point of impact is to the right of where I am actually aiming. Any suggestions

PriseDeFer
08-14-13, 12:31
Trigger. Dry fire against a background that makes the sight show well.
Check for movement. Could be anticipating the shot with live ammo too.
These little guns can move a lot during the pull. If you see your sight twitch dry firing try changing the way your finger lays on the trigger. For instance, I use the crease of the first joint of the weaponized digit. Your way will be different and all yours to find. It's the journey.

TXinfidel
12-14-13, 07:19
That's amazing, I picked up the same gun, (340pd) got mine for 425.00. I called a Cabela's that had it when I saw it in the system, asked for it figured they had mistakenly marked an air-weight. He said "no this one is an Air-light in .357, I don't think it has even been shot, but I think you can get a new one for this much" I said " Never mind all that, I'll take it" Now mine didn't come with the CT grips but it did have XS night sights installed and my choice of grips, which it now sits with the Desantis Clip-Grip which I love with my big hands. Apex springs and removed the internal lock, little tw-25b in the right places and life is good..... and I love that people can't tell the difference in $400 vs $1100 revolvers. :dance3: