PDA

View Full Version : KAC owners, did you stake your castle nut?

F-Trooper05
07-24-13, 04:00
Just wondering if anyone here has staked the castle nut on their SR15's. I know that it shouldn't be an issue with a Knights, but it still gives me a warm and fuzzy, especially after reading this thread (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=91530)).

Also, does anyone know why they don't do this at the factory? Should I stop making fun of Bushmasters and DPMS for also not doing it? (I searched M4C and couldn't come up with much).

jaxman7
07-24-13, 04:06
This was talked about recently.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=119473

-Jax

F-Trooper05
07-24-13, 04:58
Great, now I'm "that guy."

I didn't realize the nuts don't even come with notches to stake. Is there a reason for that?

Army Chief
07-24-13, 06:58
Didn't feel it absolutely necessary, but staked it nonetheless -- after adding the obligatory NRW QD end plate, of course.

AC

jaxman7
07-24-13, 07:29
Everybody's been that guy at least once bud. ;)

-Jax

hotrodder636
07-24-13, 07:37
Mine was staked after I brought it home.

mtdawg169
07-24-13, 07:56
Just wondering if anyone here has staked the castle nut on their SR15's. I know that it shouldn't be an issue with a Knights, but it still gives me a warm and fuzzy, especially after reading this thread (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=91530)).

Also, does anyone know why they don't do this at the factory? Should I stop making fun of Bushmasters and DPMS for also not doing it? (I searched M4C and couldn't come up with much).

Jack has stated that they haven't had any reports of the factory nut coming loose and they are installed with alot of torque. However, I prefer to do it for peace of mind. My lowers are the older design with the QD cups. Since they all get a Noveske endplate, I swap out the castle nut at the same time and stake it.

davidjinks
07-24-13, 08:49
I staked mine. Older lower with QD cups and standard castle nut.

After changing out the original RE for an A5, I staked that as well.

hjmpanzr
07-24-13, 09:43
Ok. I'll be the first one out of the closet. I've left all mine unstaked so far. Although i planned on staking them after putting an A5 system on them. However, after installing the A5 on one of them to try it out I decided to forgo the A5 on the lowers as long as Im running a KAC 14.5 or 16" upper on it. The cost benefit calculation just isn't there for me. I'm not overly concerned about them being unstaked.
However, the rifles that i "depend" on have KAC 11.5" uppers with LMT lowers which are staked.

I'll probably stake all of my kac lowers when the atf approves the factory kac lowers in queue.

BTW: my newest KAC lower has the internal QD but also has the new fangeled nut. I really dont care for the new nut (and plan to do what mtdawg has done) but im not going to change anything because I've got to sell it to pay for other items.

Boba Fett v2
07-24-13, 15:04
KAC owners, did you stake your castle nut?

Not yet.