PDA

View Full Version : UBR Stock and Weight.

pyzik
07-24-13, 09:52
I was able to get together with some other shooting guys at a pistol class (most of my friends like guns but that's about it) and afterword we farted around with the carbines.

Pretty much every rifle (err, carbine) was lighter than mine. I don't even have an optic and have a pencil barrel.

I wanted the UBR because I read that it was basically the most rock solid collapsible out there but now I'm thinking I don't NEED that much stock. My rifle is mostly intended for fun and classes. Currently I live in a close neighborhood so it's not even playing the HD role.

Should I be reevaluating my stock? Maybe a CTR...

RearwardAssist
07-24-13, 09:56
I have always liked the STR myself but yes the weight doesnt seems to bring you enough benefit to deal with it.

Code3Patriot
07-24-13, 10:10
Sounds like you don't need a UBR for the role your AR is playing. Check out the CTR, MOE or B5 SOPMOD Bravo.

MistWolf
07-24-13, 12:21
Did you actually weigh each rifle, or hefted each in your hand figuring "Yep, that one's lighter"? There may not be as much difference in weight as you think.

Another area that can vary widely in weight is the handguard. Depending on what you have, your handguard might be heavier.

I have a lower with the UBR stock and one with the CTR. There is a small, but noticeable difference in the feel of the weight

pyzik
07-24-13, 12:49
Did you actually weigh each rifle, or hefted each in your hand figuring "Yep, that one's lighter"? There may not be as much difference in weight as you think.

Another area that can vary widely in weight is the handguard. Depending on what you have, your handguard might be heavier.

I have a lower with the UBR stock and one with the CTR. There is a small, but noticeable difference in the feel of the weight

No, I didn't. Another possible reason his felt so much lighter was I have a pinned iron sight and he had no sights on the rifle, just a mini red dot.
But then, I have a pencil barrel and he did not.

Though I did not weigh it, it was noticeable.

Tzed250
07-24-13, 17:48
My B5 SOPMOD is rock solid on my BCM receiver extension.

Exiledviking
07-24-13, 18:37
According to Magpul's own numbers on their website, there's a ~ 13 oz (0.83 lbs) difference between the UBR and the CTR (both with their respective REs).

pyzik
07-24-13, 19:53
Weighed my rifle and its right around 7lbs 7.5oz as it sits... no mag.

Don't know if that's heavy or not.

chungdae
07-24-13, 20:03
The UBR is definitely heavy. It's significantly heavier than the stock E1.

Boba Fett v2
07-24-13, 20:12
Parroting what's already been said, but it's a heavy stock. Nevertheless I liked it a lot. Very nice, but heavy.

Eric_Oh
07-24-13, 20:17
If you want lighter, then I agree that moving to another simpler stock like those suggested above is a pretty simple solution. The ctr being very popular and the b5 bravo stock also growing in good reviews.

That all being said only you can determine what is most comfortable and manageable to you. My rifles have longer rails on them and as such I'm actually looking to move to the ubr from the ctr to better balance the front heavy uppers I run.

You should try to get together with your buddies again and try slapping your upper in one of their lowers to compare the feel of the different stocks they have.
That way you can try before dropping the cash for a new stock & re.

Just my. 02

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

hypeRR600
07-24-13, 20:45
One of the reasons why I bought the UBR was because I wanted to use some of the extra weight of the stock to help "off-set" the front end weight of my carbine. What can I say, I have "stuff" attached up front. I personally don't mind the overall weight though...been carrying around a M4 for over 20 yrs now, and weight was never an issue for me regardless of the various "stuff" I had attached. That said, I like the UBR a lot....well made and very stable.

pyzik
07-24-13, 21:24
Thanks for he replies. I do intend on throwing a flashlight up front so that'll add weight too. Maybe even it out.

I used the think my an was heavy and its weighing in at 7lbs 12oz with no mag, optic, light or anything. I've gotten used to that...

Think I'm gonna leave it a bit longer and see how it turns out for me.