PDA

View Full Version : For your consideration

K.L. Davis
07-24-13, 13:58
This is what happens when a gun maker tells me "just do whatever you want to do" - the newest offering from Proto Tactical

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=687&pictureid=3329

Specifications:
16" 41V50 Chrome Lined Barrel, 1:8, 5.56 NATO
Mid-Length Gas System with Low-Profile Gas Block
The New Proto Tac Z-Tac Comp!

Centurion Arms 12" C4 Hand Guard

Vltor MUR Upper Receiver w/ Gunfighter Charging Handle

Milspec M16 Bolt Carrier w/ Proprietary Plating
HP/MPI Milspec Bolt w/ HD Extractor Spring and Insert

Proto Tactical 7075 Forged Lower Receiver
PTI Lower Parts Kit w/ PTI Enhanced Service Trigger and Hammer
BAD-ASS Short Throw, Ambi Fire Contol Selector
Umbrella Corporation Pistol Grip
Magpul MOE Trigger Guard

Vltor A5 Receiver Extension and Buffer Assy
B5 Systems Bravo Stock

Price is $1599.00 - have not thought of a name for it yet... call it what you want for now!

markm
07-24-13, 14:23
I call it the JAOMA. (Just Add Optic and Match Ammo)

WickedWillis
07-24-13, 14:24
It looks great, and you really used some quality parts on it.

bulbvivid
07-24-13, 14:36
You could call it the "Pew-Pew by Proto.™" Or the Bing Dang Ow, but that name may have a copyright associated with it by now.

Looks really well thought out. A couple or three questions.

Could you expand on the proprietary coating on the BC? And how are the trigger and hammer enhanced?

Also, why the quad rail when so many others are heading the slick direction? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, just curious as to whether there was a specific reason why.

And it's hard to tell from the picture, but is the LR marked for the short-throw selector?

markm
07-24-13, 14:55
Also, why the quad rail when so many others are heading the slick direction?

It's marketed to heterosexual men. :D

Koshinn
07-24-13, 15:02
I call it the JAOMA. (Just Add Optic and Match Ammo)

JAOWLSAMA.
Just add optic, white light, sling, and match ammo.

Iraqgunz
07-24-13, 15:17
Nice thought out design and components.

mtdawg169
07-24-13, 15:26
The 1/8 twist barrel is a really nice touch. That's alot of gun for the money!

Any details on the proprietary coating?

Safetyhit
07-24-13, 15:35
JAOWLSAMA.
Just add optic, white light, sling, and match ammo.

No wait, it really should be JAOWLSAMAMMA because it sounds so much cooler.

By the way very nice work KL.

slamd095
07-24-13, 15:53
WOW. I agree, lots of gun for that price. Have you decided on an optic yet?

kaltesherz
07-24-13, 16:06
You know I clicked on this thinking it was going to be a shitshow with everyone piling on...

Instead you built a well thought out and made of great components. Optic, BUIS, sling, and light are very personal so you did the right thing by leaving them up to the buyer.

Good Job.

SilverBullet432
07-24-13, 16:12
just call it the B.A.M.F :D .. that is a sweet looking rifle.

EDIT: why not 1/7 twist? just a thought.

jaxman7
07-24-13, 17:44
The 1/8 twist barrel is a really nice touch. That's alot of gun for the money!

Agreed. Fantastic price w/the parts provided and that comp I have been wanting to play with.

K.L. Davis I normally associate you with a certain shorter rifle and this one is longer..so......I christen thee: 'Kinochhio'. ;)

-Jax

Moose-Knuckle
07-24-13, 18:12
That might just be the "best" out of the box carbine ever configured.

Safetyhit
07-24-13, 18:30
In all seriousness something along the line of "ProTo KLD", "PTKLD" or simply their "KLD" variant would seem suitable. A great rifle for the money at the very least.

RogerinTPA
07-24-13, 19:47
wrong thread...

eperk
07-24-13, 20:28
That is one BADASS rifle. If I didn't have so many............

K.L. Davis
07-24-13, 20:31
I hope I hit all the questions here:

The plating on the bolt carrier - in the industry, "propriatry" is often code for "because of licensing, we can not tell you the trade name" - it is a nickle/PTFE plating with some other things added, it does not cure baldness but it does as good a job of protecting the bolt carrier as any of the well know names.

The "enhanced trigger" is a genuine, AR15 trigger and hammer... what most would call a Milspec trigger - they are from the best manufacturer we could find for overall consistancy and quality. They are hand culled, inspected and gauged, the sear surfaces are lightely polished and then the hammer and trigger are plated with a coating to give the sear surfaces a mirror finish - and the rest of the hammer and trigger just look cool.

The hammer and trigger are mated to milspec springs and installed... there are no adjustments, no changes to the pull or sear angle... there are no weird pins or rubber parts, no allen wrenches and no light strikes - what you have is a full weight, service ready trigger that has absolutely no grit, no stacking. Maybe not the trigger for making youtube videos, but for this gun it works great!

Why not 1:7? The 1:8 twist in a 16" barrel will stabilize anything you can fit in a STANAG magazine... it is about as close to the best twist rate you can get for an accross the board, shoots everything well rot.

Putting my name in or on a gun I design ain't really who I am... that was Paul's decision :rolleyes:

Voodoo_Man
07-24-13, 20:31
Looks good

K.L. Davis
07-24-13, 20:42
If I did, as a huge Japanese Sword geek, it would be the Kinotana!

But then, I would have to make a Kinodachi ;)

Safetyhit
07-24-13, 20:46
Putting my name in or on a gun I design ain't really who I am... that was Paul's decision :rolleyes:

Such noble humility. Anyway it sounds like we settle on the "K.L. Davis Supercool Special" then? ;)

Honestly if you are looking for suggestions beyond a sterile XR-348 give us something to work with as far as individuality. It's a nice configuration worthy of a special name.

Col_Crocs
07-24-13, 21:52
If I did, as a huge Japanese Sword geek, it would be the Kinotana!

Careful, you don't want it associated, or, mistaken for that other AR of a similar name.;)
Kidding aside... It looks great. The A5 on a factory rifle is a nice touch.

K.L. Davis
07-24-13, 21:53
Careful, you don't want it associated, or, mistaken for that other AR of a similar name.;)
Kidding aside... It looks great. The A5 on a factory rifle is a nice touch.
That one went right over my head.

Jeffro2912
07-24-13, 22:05
With those specs, that should be a fantastic carbine. Looks very nice as well.

RCI1911
07-24-13, 22:07
That one went right over my head.

Red Jackets "Katana".

K.L. Davis
07-24-13, 22:08
Red Jackets "Katana".
Ahhh, thanks... honeslty never watched a minute of the show.

kwelz
07-24-13, 23:16
I would like to call it mine.

T2C
07-24-13, 23:47
Name it Proton. You could use an atom as a logo on the receiver.

Koshinn
07-25-13, 01:05
Name it Proton. You could use an atom as a logo on the receiver.

Like Mega?

ETA: Well ok, Mega is Lithium while Proton would be Hydrogen.

Swag
07-25-13, 01:15
How about - Proto "Practical"?

Or maybe - Proto "KLD Practical"?

Or - Proto "Enhanced Practical Carbine" (Proto EPiC)?

K.L. Davis
07-28-13, 16:41
Some folks have contacted me about ordering these rifles - best bet is to email sales@prototactical.com

1911-A1
07-28-13, 16:55
Is this it?

http://www.prototactical.com/files/4296256/uploaded/proto-banner2.jpg

That's a well-thought out gun!

K.L. Davis
07-28-13, 16:56
Is this it?

http://www.prototactical.com/files/4296256/uploaded/proto-banner2.jpg

That's a well-thought out gun!
Yes, that's the one. Thanks.

K.L. Davis
07-29-13, 13:11
Right now, the leading pick for a name is: The Alliance

Thoughts?

Safetyhit
07-29-13, 13:31

Thoughts?

Hard for most to say if we're not sure as to why you connect with the term or where it was derived. That said I do like it.

mtdawg169
07-29-13, 13:37
KL, is Proto considering selling the barrels a la carte? I'd really be interested in a 1/8 chromed 5.56mm barrel. Especially a light weight profile in 16 or 14.5 midlength.

Watrdawg
07-29-13, 14:09

Thoughts?

What's the thought process behind the proposed name? Love the components by the way. Seriously considering adding it to my stable.

skijunkie55
07-29-13, 16:53
What's the thought process behind the proposed name? Love the components by the way. Seriously considering adding it to my stable.

I'm wondering this too.

Is this the beginning of a new business relationship with Centurion Arms and VLTOR?

mtdawg169
07-29-13, 17:16
I'm wondering this too.

Is this the beginning of a new business relationship with Centurion Arms and VLTOR?

This gun is not produced by Centurion.

skijunkie55
07-29-13, 17:31
This gun is not produced by Centurion.

I know that. Was asking if proto tactical would be regularly furnishing rifles now with vltor and centurion arms parts.
Which could be an "alliance" of sorts? Idk. Just thinking aloud

Has proto tactical used MUR uppers and centurion arm handguards in the past on their rifles? From what I can see, most of their current offerings are primarily their own components.

Iraqgunz
07-29-13, 17:37
Please go back and re-read this post. The purpose of the rifle as stated by K.L Davis was to combine a set of components (along with stuff which was machines locally) to create a solid rifle/carbine that would combine features that were desirable and functional to the market at a good price.

This isn't any kind of joint venture or merging of companies.

K.L. Davis
07-29-13, 20:28
There it is... the rifle is a Proto Tac effort, while a lot of the other industry names that are part of the rifle have helped out with getting the best parts out there - this is not an official collaboration between any companies.

The name Alliance was chosen cause it is a synonym of synergy and reflected the collection of parts and technologies well – it also sounds cool!

MistWolf
07-29-13, 20:50
There it is... the rifle is a Proto Tac effort, while a lot of the other industry names that are part of the rifle have helped out with getting the best parts out there - this is not an official collaboration between any companies.

The name Alliance was chosen cause it is a synonym of synergy and reflected the collection of parts and technologies well – it also sounds cool!

Pro Tac Alliance?

K.L. Davis
07-29-13, 20:59
KL, is Proto considering selling the barrels a la carte? I'd really be interested in a 1/8 chromed 5.56mm barrel. Especially a light weight profile in 16 or 14.5 midlength.
I will check

mtdawg169
07-29-13, 22:10
I will check

Many thanks!

SilverBullet432
07-29-13, 23:05
Pro-Tac Mk.1 ?

Boba Fett v2
07-29-13, 23:36

Thoughts?

Not feeling it. I prefer designations of a more professional sounding nature, unlike Omen, Beast, Jack (nice rifle though!), etc. How about something along the lines of PETC4 (Proto Enhanced Tactical Carbine), or PTR-15 (Proto Tactical Rifle). Or maybe I should not heed my own advice with regards to Hollywood naming conventions and suggest SEC-C (pronounced "sexy") - Special Enhanced Combat-Ready Carbine :)

I echo all others WRT the specs of this rifle. Nice selection of quality components. Does the winner of the name-that-rifle contest get a prototype as the main prize? ;)

Duffy
07-30-13, 10:19
For some reason, I immediately understood the reason behind the name Alliance, it could be that we are used to working with like minded companies to create strategic partnerships and synergy that leverage the strengths of partners involved, some are actually presented on Kino's carbine shown here.

I like the name, as well as something something union or coalition :)

Watrdawg
07-30-13, 10:35
Names makes sense now. I must have been having a slow comprehension day when I asked about the thought process behind the name earlier.