PDA

View Full Version : All-purpose budget midlength

acjones20
07-24-13, 20:14
I just put together a budget midlength for home defense/training and maybe some hog or deer hunting as well.

PSA classic lower w/ A2 grip and Carbine stock
Aim Surplus upper w/ MOE handguards and Daniel Defense LW 16" mid
9310 mpi full auto BCG from AIM
MOE VFG
Vickers VCAS
DD 1.5 rear sight
Primary Arms red dot (until I save up some for an Eotech)
Tons of PMAGS, wolf for training and some MK262 for the house

It's very soft shooting and the trigger is fine for my needs. My wife has enjoyed it and shoots it better than me. It balances well, is lightweight, and I'm not worried about it getting scratched.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/6595/mbqu.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/837/mbqu.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Col_Crocs
07-24-13, 22:35
Your rear buis is on backwards...
Overall, looks like a good practical build. I'd get a better BCG though. That's not something you want to go generic on.

NeoNeanderthal
07-24-13, 22:44
Not to bust your balls but he is right. BCG and barrel are (in my opinion) the two things you have zero wiggle room on, as far as skimping.

acjones20
07-24-13, 23:04
Thanks for the comment on the sight... To clarify, the bolt is 9310 and MPI tested with a full auto carrier. Not BCM, but good enough.

NeoNeanderthal
07-24-13, 23:15
Thanks for the comment on the sight... To clarify, the bolt is 9310 and MPI tested with a full auto carrier. Not BCM, but good enough.

Whatever floats your bolt.

Col_Crocs
07-25-13, 19:26
Not BCM

Definitely not.

but good enough.

Definitely not.

Evil1969SS>LS6
07-25-13, 20:06

I'd steer away from buying parts that are just " Good enough".

RogerinTPA
07-25-13, 20:40
I'd steer away from buying parts that are just " Good enough".

Agreed.

OP: Before making another purchase, do some research here, then start saving for quality parts, optics, mags, ammo, then quality training. In most cases, small knowledgeable, well thought out steps, are required to achieve high end goals. Failing to do so can drain back accounts by adding wasteful losses to an already expensive endeavor. Say 'no' to cheap parts.

jmnielsen
07-25-13, 21:20
PSA has FA BCGs right now with carpenter 158 bolts for $99. I would get one of those as a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Gatorshark
07-25-13, 21:30
I think you've got a good foundation here OP. I have a "less than perfect" black gun in my stable that i'm upgrading as I go. But along the way, I'm shooting the hell out of it.

Evil1969SS>LS6
07-26-13, 05:08
PSA has FA BCGs right now with carpenter 158 bolts for $99. I would get one of those as a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I have a PSA BCG sitting in a parts box for backup. IMO for the money they are gtg.

Tzook
08-01-13, 15:46
Since this is a budget build, how much are you into it for if you don't mind me asking?

Airhasz
08-01-13, 16:52
Since this is a budget build, how much are you into it for if you don't mind me asking?

Uh Oh, I sense a "you could have bought a Colt or BCM for that price" coming up soon...:p

Tzed250
08-01-13, 19:56
Agreed.

OP: Before making another purchase, do some research here, then start saving for quality parts, optics, mags, ammo, then quality training. In most cases, small knowledgeable, well thought out steps, are required to achieve high end goals. Failing to do so can drain back accounts by adding wasteful losses to an already expensive endeavor. Say 'no' to cheap parts.

So much win. I saved myself from....myself, by reading about what it takes to put together a quality carbine in these forums. I ended up spending more than I planned or wanted to, but the result is a weapon with no asterisks or question marks.

acjones20
08-01-13, 22:08

PSA classic lower $199
AIM Upper (CHF DD 16" LW, flattop upper, BCG w/ MPI bolt) $539
PA red dot $89
MOE VFG $20
MOE RSA $25
Vickers sling $45
DD Rear Sight $70

that comes to $990, we'll say a grand or so after shipping, but it's exactly what I want.