PDA

View Full Version : Old Glock Tune-up Question?

5.56Geo
07-24-13, 20:41
I just picked up a used Glock 19 Gen2 that looks like its had some good use. It was made in 1994 "AXZ XXXUS". I will be ordering replacement parts from Mr. Potterfiel and need to know what parts you recommend I replace?

Thanks for the input. :) -Geo

C4IGrant
07-24-13, 21:15
I just picked up a used Glock 19 Gen2 that looks like its had some good use. It was made in 1994 "AXZ XXXUS". I will be ordering replacement parts from Mr. Potterfiel and need to know what parts you recommend I replace?

Thanks for the input. :) -Geo

Good idea to just change out all the springs. I installed an Apex Extractor in mine and helped fix the known GEN 2 G19 problems.

C4

SeriousStudent
07-24-13, 21:46
Does it still have the factory sights? You may wish to upgrade those. I have ancient eyeballs, and the Ameriglo Hackathorns work well for me.

And replacing every spring like Grant said is also a great way to learn and clean your pistol. Buy spares and start a documented PM schedule.

I've had good results with the Vickers extended magazine catch and the Vickers slide stop from Tango Down.

PD Sgt.
07-24-13, 22:12
I would also recommend changing out all the springs. I have not had any problems with ejection from my Gen 2, but if you do I know a lot of guys (myself included) have had good luck with the Apex parts or the HRED extractor spring assembly if you do start having issues.

Aftermarket wise, I recommend the Vickers slide stop and mag release, I find them both to be a bit more user friendly than the stock parts. For sights, I am a big fan of the Ameriglo Pro I Dots, but the Hacks look pretty good too.

5.56Geo
07-25-13, 19:42
Thanks gents. It has the original Glock night sights that will be replaced with Warren Tactical FO sights, I put some on my G20sf and they seem to work well for me. At what point is it recommended to replace the firing pin? Thanks- Geo

Chameleox
07-25-13, 20:40
Not that its ever a bad time to buy a few new mags, but consider adding those to the list.

PA PATRIOT
07-25-13, 20:43
Other then replacing all the springs and the stock sights 2nd Gen Glock's will run nicely as is with out the need of additional after market parts. I own several 2nd Gen's and IMHO they are the best Glock (Generation Wise) ever made.

Chameleox
07-25-13, 22:57
I'm in a similar boat, or at least in the same waters, as the OP.

I'm considering switching duty guns to a 2-pin G17 (gen 3, or 2.5- 2 pins, finger grooves, and a rail). Other than the spring overhaul (I plan on replacing the springs, mags, mag release, sights, and maybe the locking block, and it has silver internals), is there anything else I should mess with? LCI/APEX extractor upgrade?

I also plan on stocking a spare locking block, and a couple of the 2 pin slide stop levers.

Thanks

CAVDOC
07-26-13, 08:27
I guess I am old as I consider any gun made after ww2 not old! Recoil spring should be replaced since you don't have any idea of round count other than that just shoot it